The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• mainelylisa
    mainelylisa Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    ...and I hope whoever woo'ed it meant woo hoo! Have a fabulous AF day guys <3

Oh my gosh! I've woo'd several posts and I meant Woo-Hooo! I'm so sorry!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    for some people, an alcoholic is still the deadbeat or bum. and before there was knowledge of the disease that was usually what happened to an alcoholic if they didn't end up in prison or die first
    thankfully, people can get help now. and find other people with the same problem.
    remember your secrets bind you in shame.
  • mainelylisa
    mainelylisa Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Bobby959 wrote: »
    Hi I'm on day 5 of being AF. I have been heavily drinking for 10 to 15 years but I have been a secret drinker so I don't have anyone to share my AF journey with. I'm incredibly tired has anyone else experienced this.

I'm on Day 5 and also a secret drinker when I'm not being a social drinker. I'm a bit tired--but not bloated and not feeling poisoned-tired. This is a great community and non-judgmental. And to Ruby's point, check out TedTalks--there are a lot of inspiring stories. And here's a story of a journalist who kept a secret for a long time, until it came out. https://abcnews.go.com/Health/abc-news-anchor-elizabeth-vargas-long-battle-alcoholism/story?id=41980399

Hugs...
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    ...and I hope whoever woo'ed it meant woo hoo! Have a fabulous AF day guys <3

Oh my gosh! I've woo'd several posts and I meant Woo-Hooo! I'm so sorry!

Haha,I figured,they need to get something to replace woo I think its too confusing
  • Bobby959
    Bobby959 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you great video
  • jhilkene
    jhilkene Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've been meaning to respond but every time I start I have to walk away and then the message clears :anguished:

@whitpauly and @RubyRed427 touching on what you both said earlier..
    I heard someone say (I think it was on MFP somewhere)..
    Comparison is a thief of joy, in many cases.
    Sometimes we use it as an excuse or a reason for our actions.

Drinking wasn't yet affecting my job, family, or responsibilities, it was affecting me. Like @RubyRed427 said, why would I want to wait until it got worse to change it, when it was already having a negative impact on my well being? Using the buzz as a reward or crutch during a bad time wasn't really changing reality. After the drinks, the problems were still there in addition to dehydration, stomach problems, bad breath, brain fuzz, lethargy, liver/kidney issues, skin issues, bloating, weight gain, less cash, etc..

The itch to get the Halloween drinks is real... but I know i'll feel guilty buying anything, and it won't be worth the buzz. Also, as many of you have said, it is nice to remember the fun times, and I think we can have a fun Halloween WOA! B)
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    @jhilkene Comparison is a thief of joy, in many cases.
    Sometimes we use it as an excuse or a reason for our actions.

This is brilliant. Thank you. I"m going to write that down and put it where I can see it every day.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    islandbeez wrote: »
    Hi @NormInv ! Always nice to see you :)

always love to see you
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    Two observations from the weekend:
    1) Was invited by friends to see a band; these are my party drinking hard girlfriends, but I declined. I saw all their fun facebook photos from the evening, and although a tiny bit nostalgic, I was mostly thankful that this morning, I woke up happy and hangover free.
    2) Went to a Halloween party, and for the first time, I didn’t feel that I was missing the cocktails. There was a strong punch made by the hostess. People were comment how strong and good it was. I had no desire to have any. The hostess had LaCroix and I was really content NOT to be drinking.

I think that I had a breakthrough; gone were the feelings that I was missing out on the fun because I wasnt drinking. In fact, I felt more social and had more fun, I think, because I was completely sober.

@kpk54 I think you’re right. Initially, I and many others may feel overly obsessed about staying sober, and then , we will find that it just becomes natural.

@kcn2bluesky That is such a wonderful picture! You look happy and healthy!
    @NormInv Hope your weekend was fun!
    @jhilkene You stated after the drinks, the problems were still there. Amen to that! You’re so right.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Happy Friday all,hit 30 days (again) yesterday and for some reason niggling thoughts have been creeping in,irritates me but they're just thoughts,,as long as I stick to my goal and not get too uneasy I'll be fine,its that uneasiness that is hard to get through,I hate it! Hope everyone has a great day <3

Hope you had a good weekend. Yes, the uneasiness is real.
    Recently I heard a good statement in a meditation. : “WE are not our thoughts.” Our soul is an observer of our thoughts. *Interesting concept.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Bobby959 wrote: »
    Hi I'm on day 5 of being AF. I have been heavily drinking for 10 to 15 years but I have been a secret drinker so I don't have anyone to share my AF journey with. I'm incredibly tired has anyone else experienced this.

I'm on Day 5 and also a secret drinker when I'm not being a social drinker. I'm a bit tired--but not bloated and not feeling poisoned-tired. This is a great community and non-judgmental. And to Ruby's point, check out TedTalks--there are a lot of inspiring stories. And here's a story of a journalist who kept a secret for a long time, until it came out. https://abcnews.go.com/Health/abc-news-anchor-elizabeth-vargas-long-battle-alcoholism/story?id=41980399

Hugs...

I watched the Elizabeth Vargas video. I always liked her. And I know she was married to Marc Cohn (great singer). I wonder if her book is good. I’ll check it out.

https://people.com/tv/elizabeth-vargas-on-divorce-from-her-husband-marc-cohn-days-after-leaving-rehab/
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Perhaps there is a tendency to contemplate our drinking/not drinking more than necessary.

@kpk54 What an awesomely accurate statement this is! I think, for me personally, I do analyze and contemplate the alcohol situation at various events and activities...probably because I'm still encountering new situations and possibly because I like to analyze & contemplate things (data, situations, sewing/knitting/beading, life, vacation & retirement plans) lol

This will be my first holiday season without alcohol, so I want to be prepared for the situations at the parties, events, and gatherings during the season.
  • kcn2bluesky
    Options
    @RubyRed427 Great post about being able to have an enjoyable time while staying sober! I attended a team building event at work, but it was held off-site at a local restaurant. I wasn't sure what to expect, as it is a new team I'm part of. I arrived right on time, but many others were already there drinking. A few of us weren't drinking alcohol, but most were. I stayed for an hour or so, socialized with everyone, and then left while they were starting on their 2nd & 3rd rounds. I enjoyed my time interacting with the group, but I was really glad to go home sober to my family.

• islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    @kcn2bluesky congrats on your AF status and that marathon! I was finally able to do a 5k this summer and felt amazing! I am not a runner...at all...I HATED when we had to do it for sports in HS! But I had the energy and clear mind so I just went for it :smile:

Today I am sitting here marveling at how absolutely quiet my mind is. There is such an absence of "chatter" that comes with avoiding alcohol, for me personally. I was always able to not have a drink, I've just never been able to have 1, it was more like 10. Now with that removed there is no internal dialogue centered around whether I should grab a bottle of wine today, and the "oh, wait, it's Sunday, not til noon" or "where did I buy it from last so I can avoid that place" dilemma. It just feels great. Last night the husband and I went out to dinner, wine and mixed drinks were at every table but I just ordered an iced tea without any FOMO. It's just a really good place to be and it all started here :smiley:
  • kcn2bluesky
    Options
    islandbeez wrote: »
    @kcn2bluesky congrats on your AF status and that marathon! I was finally able to do a 5k this summer and felt amazing! I am not a runner...at all...I HATED when we had to do it for sports in HS! But I had the energy and clear mind so I just went for it :smile:

Today I am sitting here marveling at how absolutely quiet my mind is. There is such an absence of "chatter" that comes with avoiding alcohol, for me personally. I was always able to not have a drink, I've just never been able to have 1, it was more like 10. Now with that removed there is no internal dialogue centered around whether I should grab a bottle of wine today, and the "oh, wait, it's Sunday, not til noon" or "where did I buy it from last so I can avoid that place" dilemma. It just feels great. Last night the husband and I went out to dinner, wine and mixed drinks were at every table but I just ordered an iced tea without any FOMO. It's just a really good place to be and it all started here :smiley:

Love this post @islandbeez ! You've articulated something I've experienced as well. The internal noise!

Congrats on your 5k! I love racing, and how accomplished & energized it makes me feel!