The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• jhilkene
    jhilkene Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    fdhunt1 wrote: »
    Fell off the wagon this weekend & bought a bottle of vodka "to see if I can quit with booze in the house". Yeah right! Had a couple martinis and it didn't take long to realize I made a huge mistake. Poured the remaining bottle down the sink this morning! No more.

I can't have it in the house either, like certain foods.
    If I buy it, I'll drink it. It won't just sit there untouched. :/
    I could probably go out and have a drink, just can't bring it home.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Hey guys, just wanted to say, that it does get easier. I , for the most haven't had a problem, matter of fact, I went for about 10 years AF, just to see if I thought it was necessary, and then for about 5 years drank off and on, I d go for months drinking and then stop for Lent, New Years, and then would have some here and there.....not much, but I guess moderate........I then took my lipids, the blood tests that the Dr takes every 3 years or so ,and noticed my liver functions increased....not a whole lot, 40 is normal for an ASGOT reading, and mine was 55, so I stopped and its back to about 44 and I am having new labs done in Feb , and Im sure Ill be at 40. I read that drinking can raise cholesterol, LDL, and can impair liver functions, and decided to stop again, so I had just a bit of wine , a glass back in April , Easter time ..with family members and haven't had any since.......it gets easier, month after month..Also, I had seen this video, and after watching it, realized how very very lucky I am to be able to drink or not, and have no problems with which ever decision. For me, in my humble opinion, I like that I don't have to worry about it. For me, and again, this applies to me, its not worth the stress, worry, planning, regrets, etc about drinking..... You all can do it, I have read many of your stories and it helps me realize that having a father, grand father, great grand father, brother who were alcoholics, that I could be predispositioned to be one.............so, I don't want to deal with it..............here is a video, if I ever think of it, which I don't , but if I do, I ll watch this and realize who fortunate I am....best wishes, Lloyd

watch this , take 44 minutes and see what eventually can happen to you if it gets out of control. You may want to fast forward the first 35 seconds, its kinda graphic, but its reality.....again, best wishes , we all can do it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lny5u-HIwbg

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    6 weeks tomorrow, been some hard days! All in all I'm glad I'm doing it. I was the guy that sometimes drank 3 or 4 beers, but other times I have slept in the flower garden. It's just something I don't need in my life and I find a hard workout is just so much better for my mind and my soul.

I must admit you made me smile! I once found my shoes in a flower pot after a wild night ; happy you are doing well!

lol-reminds me

once after a night that is more than fuzzy many years ago, i used my dorm phone to call my cell phone. my doritos started ringing. got excited. thought i won something.
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    @lloydrt What a depressing video!! An extreme example of addiction & very sad! What a waste of life. I was really hoping that he would be able to recoup his life, but sadly not. I'm actually wishing I didn't watch it.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    @lloydrt wow that was a sad story. I have two cousins who died of alcoholism and know of two more like Ryan in the story who have passed away because they couldn't or didn't want to stop. Anyway , this type of show is beneficial because it de-glamorizes alcohol in a stark way. My heart goes out to people who are in the same situation as the boy in the video.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I watched the first couple minutes of it and had to turn it off. It was making me queasy and anxious. Nevertheless I appreciate why the documentary was made. We are reminded that alcohol truly is a poison and has no benefits whatsoever.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    The harsh reality of what alcohol can do is eye opening,thanks for the video and the stories
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,491 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    This is some heavy stuff tonight. Thank you for your honest contributions.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    73CL350 wrote: »
    I had a death in the family saturday ... drove 12 hours to the funeral, which was today.

I was the only sober person at the funeral.

I Guess alcoholism really does run in the family.

My deepest sympathies to you. Yes, it does run in the family, I think.
  • joha5603
    joha5603 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Today was really a horrible day at work and at life. I knew that drinking when I got home would have made it worse. So, I took a bath, watched some Netflix and ate some wings. I remind myself that there will always be a reason to drink, but just for today, I won’t. But it really does suck when you can’t escape bad situations with a few martinis. However, tomorrow I will be so relieved I didn’t bend.

Hang in there, Ruby! On my toughest days I'm guilty of just going to bed early knowing it will all be better tomorrow. Good for you for taking care of yourself. ♥️
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    joha5603 wrote: »
    Today was really a horrible day at work and at life. I knew that drinking when I got home would have made it worse. So, I took a bath, watched some Netflix and ate some wings. I remind myself that there will always be a reason to drink, but just for today, I won’t. But it really does suck when you can’t escape bad situations with a few martinis. However, tomorrow I will be so relieved I didn’t bend.

Hang in there, Ruby! On my toughest days I'm guilty of just going to bed early knowing it will all be better tomorrow. Good for you for taking care of yourself. ♥️

Thanks❤ going to bed early is also a good option. We do what it takes to stay sober. Xo