The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,157 Member
    @mbaker566 Lovely picture! I see feathers often. The other day in a parking lot I saw a deep black large feather. I’ll have to look up what that means.

• RubyRed427
    620gmeck67m7.jpeg
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    @RubyRed427 "Blackout Wednesday" OH Brother!! Now there's some food for thought. I couldn't even tick a box, like? insightful? inspiring? woo? and finally decided on a hug to us on this thread who are free of that. If there were a "sad" box THAT would be my tick, but for now, it's a big fat HUG to everyone here <3 for not participating in Blackout Wednesday!

@JenT304 If I remember correctly you got me onto The Sober School. Anyway, today's blurb was about "If Alcohol Ads Were Brutally Honest" Kate relates a recent trip to Florida & seeing some advertisements for prescription drugs & how deceptive they are starting by asking watchers in a calming voice if they may be suffering from "X" symptoms & then highlighting the drug to fix it all & encouraging them to speak with their doc about said "pill" then the result are a bunch of happy people running through a field, BUT then the side effects are listed to include all manner of symptoms even DEATH. She comments how the list of side effects take more air time than other aspects of the ad as we all know and her response is wondering why anyone would want to take that medicine...(we've all seen the ads) of course she compared it to alcohol & listed 10 "side effects of drinking alcohol."

In the past, I've experienced every last one & others not listed...as I'm sure we can all relate. At the same time, people still take drugs in spite of knowing the potential side effects & same with alcohol because to them the potential good effect they hope to get is worth the risk! Still education gives people all the facts to make an informed decision. Kate made a good point about alcohol being a drug...and just as prescription meds are regulated to include the side effects, alcohol should be too. Even if it made the difference in one life, but there is too much $$ to be made from powerful forces who fight tooth & nail to keep the status quo in the alcohol companies world.
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    salleewins wrote: »
    @SuzMac1981 Happy Sobriety!!!

Happy Thanksgiving Dear Friends, if you celebrate! I am thankful for many things and you all and getting to be here!

I just want to make it with no drinking and then tomorrow will be 10 mo.!

Awesome! 10 months!!

Today, it is exactly 4 months for me. Xo

Wow. 4 mo.!! You are doing it!!
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    edited November 2018
    ElC_76 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I feel stupid, but ive just broken my streak. It was going to be 6 weeks tomorrow. I was cleaning out my pantry and there was an open pkt of low carb strongbow ciders. Yes this was a massive trigger that i didn't resist. :'(
    So, back to day zero...

well done everyone with keeping stong,..

Don't worry about it! You have done so well! Alcohol can have such a strong pull. I restarted a bunch of times. I couldn't count how many. If it was in my pantry right now, I probably would drink it. Second of all, I would not have forgotten that it was there. You are stronger than you think. Just keep going. It is not day zero any more. The clock is already moving ahead. Try not to go get more. You probably won't, but I know how I would think. Think in terms of hours on the plus side today already and not that it is a wash. You will do it!! Now I need to take that thinking with food, lol.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,484 Member
    @EIC_76 don't give it another thought. Be proud that you gave yourself nearly 6 weeks AF. Today is a fresh start.
  • RubyRed427
    @ElC_76 No worries! You were so dry for so long, that your body and mind benefitted from it. The wolf is always waiting in the woods, but for you it sounds that you are able to keep it at bay for along time. That’s a success!! Xo
  • RubyRed427
    Nothing new to report. Went through a lonely/bored phases this long weekend when everyone was out drinking at the local pub. But I stayed home and stayed the course. I feel good and dont regret my choice to avoid certain situations. Have a happy day!
  • RubyRed427
    Ke22yB wrote: »
    @EIC_76 I have been AF since May 2008 during that time I had 2 New Years I had champagne one vacation I had some wine one evening out to dinner and my daughters wedding I had some wine as well all in all maybe one bottle over 10 years each time I was back AF the next morning and years before the next drink
    I am just saying I don’t bring it up except to say dont let it make you upset life happens some time just return to your AF way of living
    When I discuss my sobriety I just say it’s since May 2008
    No qualifications

My sister would agree with you. She has been sober for a decade. She told me if you are 98% alcohol free and once in a big long while you have a drink, you are doing fine!!
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    @EIC_76 I agree with the encouragement others have already given to you. Stuff happens. As @sallewins suggested "think in terms of hours on the plus side" :) and chalk it up to a learning lesson <3

My heart goes out to @RubyRed427 <3 & JenT304 <3 Sending both of you big hugs!!

@Ke22yB your decades of sobriety can truly benefit us all...unlike you though, I KNOW that if I had one measly drink I'd be setting myself up...for more :'( Like you advised "just return to your AF way of living"

Today is D-Day (Done dog sitting Day-WOO HOO) The only cleaning I have left to do is washing the floors...in 2 weeks I've vacuumed 5 times & washed the floors once...I could have vacuumed an extra time & washed the floors a couple more..she is a big messy puppy...not my cup of tea!! Way too much work having this energetic, very hairy bundle of love...I've washed all the windows that her snotty sniffer has been up against...there are ALOT of windows in this house that she has access to....Anyway, I'm really exciting about getting my little canine companion and taking him home to return to our calm & peaceful routine....I really missed him these past couple weeks...it's not the same just seeing him for visits every day... :'( and I won't do this again...we're a package deal from now on and won't be taking on any puppies who are dog aggressive!!

The next time I post it will be from my bachelorette pad AKA the Granny flat!!

Hugs to all <3