Strength Training Challenge

Options

Replies

• jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    thanks for the descriptions Singleflutelady! I am familiar with these moves just didn't know what they were called. Yesterday I did Ellen Barret's Skinny sculpt which is like a cardio pilates with weights. You only use 3 lbers but let me tell you they fell awfully heavy after awhile. I like this type of workout because there is cardio mixed in so the calorie burn is a bit higher than straight lifting and I like variety. Hope you guys can stick with your routines as the season heats up. Have a great day,
    Jodios
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,161 Member
    Options
    Looks like my schedule may allow for two my usual 2X a week lifting at the gym so today I did a strength/toning workout with a resistance band along with my cardio.

Go-Go-Go!!! Be strong.

Lin
  • linder4866
    Options
    I got to the gym today---lifted weights and afterwards went to a fitness class with interval training and lots of toning and core work.

Hope to get to the gym on Friday!!!

Be strong!!!!

Lin :bigsmile:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    :brokenheart: I miss my strength training but my back isn't ready yet for the extra challenge.....I'm doing squats while walking the dogs and a plank a day and can now hold the plank for 50 seconds.
  • jodios528
    Options
    did Jari Love's Ripped to the core this morning. My arms are a bit sore, but glad I got in a good strength training session - did a bit over an hour. I'm trying to get in my 2-3 sessions a week but its been tough with my DD's health issues. She goes back to school on Friday. I'm hoping she'll be okay and not push too hard.

Barbie - you are bouncing back well…give yourself the time you need

Stay strong

Jodios
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I fell on black ice yesterday and hurt my left wrist, so I'm going to have to back away from upper body strength work for a little while and focus on legs and cardio again. I don't see why I can't continue to work on planks, though, since I'll be on my elbows rather than my hands for that. No wrist pressure. I'll try one in a day or two and see what I think.
  • linder4866
    Options
    I did get to the gym today. I got through the weight machines, did the elliptical for a little while, walked, took a Zumba class, and at home did a resistance band workout as well as more cardio. So that's it for strength training for this week.

Hope you can get back to your routines soon Barbie. Jodio's sorry about DD's problems---not only are you vey concerned for her but I'm sure your schedule has been friend on its head. Katia -- ouch!! So sorry about the fall on the black ice. That is so dangerous.

See you next week. Be strong!

Lin
  • cindylu1962
    cindylu1962 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    To Katie49,
    Glad it wasn't worse. A friend of mine did the same thing but broke her wrist and was lying in the street for 30 minutes before someone found her. Perhaps your weight loss and strength conditioning helped you make a potentially worse injury, one that was minor.
    Keep up the good work.:flowerforyou:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    To Katie49,
    Glad it wasn't worse. A friend of mine did the same thing but broke her wrist and was lying in the street for 30 minutes before someone found her. Perhaps your weight loss and strength conditioning helped you make a potentially worse injury, one that was minor.
    Keep up the good work.:flowerforyou:

I think you're right. The fitness work and weight loss helped me get through it as well as I did. I can't help continuing to wonder what the doctor will do on Monday, and why it was okay to wait so long for treatment.
  • jodios528
    Options
    Did Chris Freytag's 10 lb slim down for over an hour: upper, lower and core. I'm still feeling wrung out (every muscle in my body was worked!) but I needed a good burn after a big breakfast at Walker Bros - love their Apple Pancake.

Katia - hope your wrist is okay and I agree with my sister (CindyLu) about your fitness level probably keeping it from being worse. Sending you healing thoughts

Barbie - sounds like you are getting better all the time - so happy to hear you are getting back to your normal routine.

Lin - you are a dynamo! How long do you spend working out?

Well DD is back at school. The trip back took a lot out of her, but I think she is definitely doing much better now

Stay strong ladies

Jodios
  • cindylu1962
    Options
    My Monday morning yoga instructor had a weekend class for yoga instructors. Needless to say, we did a lot of new things today.
    My balance wasn't good today. Some days are off. But it was challenging and I am sore tonight. We did a lot of hip and back work focusing on form. Holding up my arms and head in correct alignment for all the moves had to count as strength. I've got short but big arms. My nephew calls them T-Rex arms. Isn't he just the sweetest! I'm up for a massage from my hubby.

In other news, my waist dropped another inch despite being stuck on the scale weight. I guess my workouts are doing good.

Does anyone have any strength moves for wrists? I know it sounds weird, but mine are weak.

Stay warm everyone.1931198p43maccgbb.gif
  • barbiecat
    Options

Does anyone have any strength moves for wrists? I know it sounds weird, but mine are weak.

what about push-ups??

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: plank today two minutes.....I'm also doing squats with arm raises holding five pounds in each hand...still cautious about strength training.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Gym day--weight machines and fitness class of HIIT which were about half cardio/half toning.

Jodios - when I go to the gym I usually spend 1.5 hours working out there and depending on my schedule I may do another 1 or more hours at home. Also depends on my energy level. I try to keep the level up with a rate exception in the 120+ minutes per day.

Be strong my friends and Barbie---so glad you're able to do more strength training once again.

Lin
  • scooterjay_wwis
    scooterjay_wwis Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    my son and I workout together, using free weights
    this is what we have come up with...
    Monday- chest and triceps
    Tuesday- Back and Biceps
    Wednesday- legs
    Thursday-Chest and triceps
    Friday-Back and Biceps
    Saturday- legs
    Sunday-OFF DAY
    We do a set of sit-ups at the end of each workout, using a sit-up bench.

Is there a page where we all can report in, or do we just friend each other, and report back here?
  • barbiecat
    Options

Is there a page where we all can report in, or do we just friend each other, and report back here?

your plan sounds great...:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I don't know if we are all official MFP friends, but we report in here regularly and encourage and support each other.:bigsmile:
  • cindylu1962
    Options
    Did the 10 minute solution: high intensity interval training yesterday. I am soooooo sore today, especially in the triceps.
    I was glad to complete the DVD for the first time since I received it and I'm kind of glad I can feel the work paying off.

There are no weights used except for your own body. I have plenty of body weight to make that work.
    Yoga was great today. Helped stretch out everything.

Have a great day and keep warm from freakin' freezin' Chicago.
  • jodios528
    Options
    I haven't been feel well the last couple of days. I took yesterday off and could only manage about 30 minutes of strength training today but did work my entire body. Hopefully I'll feel more myself tomorrow.

Lin - you are amazing - that is a lot of working out

Scooter jay - that is a great plan - we just all report back (although a number of us are MFP friends too).

Cindylu - to strengthen wrists another option is to hold light dumbbells in your hands, palms and forearms facing up; elbows tight to your sides and bent at 90 degrees so your forearms are parallel to the floor. Then flex your wrists bringing your knuckles up towards the sky and slowly release down again

Have a great day and stay warm! Jodios
  • linder4866
    Options
    Another gym day. I worked the weight machines as hard as I could today. The fitness class was intervals again---half of them strength moves, half cardio. Again, I worked as hard as I could and when I got a choice of stations at the end of class I picked arm and chest moves---one of my major weaknesses! Didn't move up to higher weights anywhere but I felt good about the level of effort involved.

Best wishes to all---be strong.

Lin
  • jodios528
    Options
    My back was a bit sore this morning so I did one of my easier circuit training DVD's (but I did up the weights). So I've gotten 2 strength training sessions in this week. I'm back on the road next week (out for 3 days) so hoping I can squeeze both in. Stay strong everyone

Jodios
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :bigsmile: I did a three and half minute plank and five pushups today but I could feel an ache in my back that tells me that I must continue to be careful and not return to more strenuous activities too soon.......I can walk and dance the way I used to and I am grateful for that.....:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: