Strength Training Challenge

Options

Replies

• jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    did a Pilates strength fusion thing - more toning than lifting since its my 1st workout since the stomach flu. I dropped my weights down a bit since I'm still feeling a bit weak but it was great to be sweating and moving again! Stay strong everyone, Jodios
  • curvyrunner
    curvyrunner Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 26 years old, 5ft5 126lbs. I seem to stay around this weight, and can only loose more through eating less than 1200 a day. I am a runner (about 3 marathons a year) so am pretty fit, but still unhappy with how I look and feel. My tummy is very soft, as are my thights and hips, and I carry weight on my face. I've never strength trained - but I wonder if this will make me feel more toned and look slimmer? My three questions are 1. How do I start? 2. If I cut down cardio to up strength training will I gain weight and 3. will it actually help me look any slimmer and more toned? (or, 4. am I better to focus on shifting a few more pounds?)

Would love to hear from people who have experience?

Thanks!!
  • jodios528
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 26 years old, 5ft5 126lbs. I seem to stay around this weight, and can only loose more through eating less than 1200 a day. I am a runner (about 3 marathons a year) so am pretty fit, but still unhappy with how I look and feel. My tummy is very soft, as are my thights and hips, and I carry weight on my face. I've never strength trained - but I wonder if this will make me feel more toned and look slimmer? My three questions are 1. How do I start? 2. If I cut down cardio to up strength training will I gain weight and 3. will it actually help me look any slimmer and more toned? (or, 4. am I better to focus on shifting a few more pounds?)

Would love to hear from people who have experience?

Thanks!!

Strength training will definitely change the shape of your body (it has mine). You'll be slimmer, trimmer and stronger.

There are lots of great ways to get started.

If you belong to a gym you can meet with one of there personal trainers to help you set up a program that best suits your needs.

If you are trying to do this on you own then I suggest creating a mini home gym with free weights and bands. Many fitness based magazines have programs you can follow (e.g. Women's Health, Shape, Fitness and Self).

What I did was go to Collage.com and talk with one of there consultants (free service). She recommended some DVD's for me. Note with this site if you don't like a DVD you can return it - even after you opened and tried it. I'm always checking new DVD's out of the library to try as well. Youtube also has a number of strength training videos you can check out. I'm a big fan of Jessica Smith (her website JessicaSmithTV has a lot of free videos for all different levels and different lengths)…Jari Love, Chris Freytag and of couse Jillian Michaels all have great strength training DVD's.

You'll need to add at least 2 strength training sessions per week. I often do my strength training and then tag on a short cardio work out at the end of my session to boost my calorie burn. Circuit training also burns a lot of calories while you strength train.

Muscle is more dense than fat so initially you may put on a couple of pounds as you build muscle…but muscle needs more calories than fat so you'll find that as your metabolism increases you'll start to shed the fat more quickly. Muscle is also leaner so your profile will be slimmer even at the same weight as you change your body composition.

come back to this thread and let us know how you are doing

Jodios
  • jodios528
    Options
    did Self's Bikini Ready Fast today. My upper body is feeling it! Stick with this guys!

Here is a link to a new move that works the lower body: http://bcove.me/yka7jlgb

Jodios in its snowing AGAIN N. Il
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,161 Member
    Options
    Since I am pretty much in a groove I decided to wait a bit before posting---I did the strength/toning work, and my daily challenge work on schedule so on the purely strength work that would be last Saturday, Tuesday and again today. Today I moved up the weights on each of the exercises where possible---several lower body exercises and upper body exercises. I'm trying out the body blade and know just a few of their exercises but wow---that really fatigues the muscles. I used it today several times as I was going through quite frustrating phone calls and would move the phone from ear to ear and the body blade from hand to hand. Anyone else use one?

Well, time to go. Wishing everyone good health. No wait---wishing everyone superior health.

Be strong.

Lin
  • jodios528
    Options
    Lin - looks like its just you and me now :wink: I did 25 minutes of the Firm Total Body Strength, and 10 minutes of the Fit Better Booty in 30 days plus some cardio to get the calories up. I'm really feeling my booty now!

Stay strong, Jodios
  • jodios528
    Options
    circuit training today - worked upper and lower body…still need to get it another ab set.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: I am finally taking the first small steps to return to strength training. After my fall at the end of October I was able to gradually increase both walking and dancing so that after about 60 days I was walking and dancing as much as before but any attempts to lift heavy things made my back uncomfortable. I decided to wait til February to try again. One of the goals i set for February was to begin my strength training from the beginning.

:flowerforyou: the beginning has been squats and plank........today I did 60 squats, 20 of them with a 10 pound dumbbell held on each shoulder and a 2 minute plank......the longest journey begins with a single step.

:bigsmile: you can expect to see me posting here a few days a week:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:heart: Barbie

:bigsmile: Thanks Lin and Jodios for keeping this going......you are both doing great
  • linder4866
    Options
    BARBIE - so glad to see you back!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Lin
  • linder4866
    Options
    Me again! I continue on and am posting once a week---I did the strength/toning work, and my daily challenge work on schedule so on the purely strength work that would once again be last Saturday, Tuesday and today. On a non-strength training note, I have added yoga back into my schedule the last few days. I am also still using the body blade but not on a regular basis.

Well, time to go. Be strong.

Lin
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: good going, Lin

:bigsmile: slow and steady wins the race.......I have done yoga once a week........today I did 60 squats(40 of them with a ten pound weight held on each shoulder) and a two and half minute plank.

:bigsmile: last month my back hurt the next day after doing a plank......this month I can report that my back has been OK the next day after the plank:bigsmile:
  • cindylu1962
    cindylu1962 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Love my new butt lift DVD from 10 minute solutions. I only got through 30 minutes of it but (HAHA) I'll be sore tomorrow. I can feel it already.

My hubby said there is definition in my arms and back. Yeah! The strength training is working.
  • linder4866
    Options
    I did my strength training workout, the appointed numbers of reps and exercises for the challenges I'm in right now, some Body blad, and some yoga. I know this isn't the proper place to ask but I'm fairly new to yoga and frankly I have had continuing problems with my right shoulder for years. In the opinion of any yoga experts---does downward dog put a lot of pressure on the shoulders? It seems to be for me so I'm trying to decide if it's just me trying to get use to the pose or is it a bit stressful on the shoulders?

Thanks.........and I'll be strong even with a lame wing!!:bigsmile: :heart: :bigsmile:

Excellent BARBIE - you are very persistent in getting back to your strength training. I admire your tenacity!!

Lin
  • jodios528
    Options
    Barbie and Cindylu - so great to see you both again!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :love: :drinker: :bigsmile:

Lin - downward facing dog does put pressure on your shoulders….many doctors will recommend that you don't do that pose while any shoulder injury is healing. I would recommend that you let your yoga teacher know about your shoulder. In all likelihood they will tell you to move into a table top asana (pose) instead where you are on your hands and knees and there is not as much pressure on the shoulders. If that still bothers you then go into childs pose so there is absolutely no weight on your shoulder. BTW - I am a certified yoga instructor and have several students with shoulder issues. This is what I have them do in class. Let me know if this helps you.

I've been on the road (actually more stuck in airports than anything). My plan is to get back to my strength training tomorrow or monday…I was just too tired to today to workout

Stay strong everyone, Jodios :heart:
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: was able to accomplish my simple routine again today

60 squats----40 of them holding 10 pound weights on each shoulder

two and half minute plank:bigsmile:
  • jodios528
    Options
    did the Hollywood Trainer Circuit A today. didn't have enough time this morning to do my 30 day butt lift…hoping I can fit it in later. Stay strong everyone! Jodios
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: One more day of my February routine----60 squats (40 with 10 pound weights on each shoulder), two and half minute plank, 23,000 steps.

Keep up the good work, everybody:bigsmile:
  • linder4866
    Options
    JODIOS - thank you for the information on the downward dog pose.:flowerforyou: I will avoid that pose for now as I have definitely aggravated that shoulder to the point that I am having difficulty with my normal routine! :sad:

I've been doing my daily challenge exercises and today I did my normal strength/toning workout but did have to cut back on the weight where my right shoulder was involved. But I completed it.:smile:

Yeah----BARBIE and JODIOS---excellent work!

Be strong.
    :bigsmile:
    Lin :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • 50ishFoodie
    50ishFoodie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi, all! I hope to be joining starting this challenge on Sunday. Hoping that this nasty virus will be moving on by then. Will take it slow. I've been training for years, and I really like the P90x workouts. They are quite long, so I often just break them in half. If I feel strong I will do the entire thing. One of my other sites for learning is the American Council on Exercise (ACE). They have a TON of different workouts - even for swimming a pilates - and videos on almost all weight lifting exercises so that one can learn to do them correctly.
    Here's the link: http://www.acefitness.org/acefit/excercise-library-main/

My plan is to do full body, 3 x per week.
    One push, and one pull-type exercise per muscle group.
    Use combo exercises (multiple muscle groups) whenever I can.

Thanks for starting this Jodi! See you on Sunday.
  • jodios528
    Options
    Welcome 50ishFoodie! We'll see you back on Sunday.

Did the Hollywood Trainer circuit B today so finished up the entire body. Plus added my 30 day butt lift routine for the day. I might get in another strength training session this week but not sure since I've got Piloxing class tomorrow and Zumba on Saturday. I will be adding on my 30 day butt lift both days so at least I'm getting in extra lower body.

Here is a link to a video for a pile with v raises - works the entire body:
    http://www.prevention.com/fitness/strength-training/tone-your-arms-and-butt-one-move?cm_mmc=Exercise-Of-The-Week-_-1614096-_-02272014-_-Tone-new-exercise-Copy#.

Jodios