Strength Training Challenge

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome 50ishfoodie,

One of the things I like about this thread is that we do such varied workouts and we're challenging ourselves rather than competing with each other

:flowerforyou: since my fall I've been working very gradually into a strength training plan that will challenge me without hurting my back.

Here is my plan for March
    *do yoga and strength training on alternate days
    *strength training for March will include----
    plank--3 minutes
    squats--3 sets of 20--one regular---one with 10 pound weights---one with 15 pound weights
    triceps pushups----3 sets of 10

:flowerforyou: I successfully completed my strength training today and will do yoga tomorrow
  • 50ishFoodie
    50ishFoodie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi, All!
    I didn't get to the gym on Sunday. But, I went today. I decided to start slow to see how badly 2 weeks off had hurt my body. Did a full circuit on the Hoist system and found that I was much stronger than I thought. Did two sets of all body parts, plus my PT to strengthen my right hip and hamstring. It felt good.

Tomorrow will do a light cardio session and core - 5 different exercises, including plank. Aiming for 1:00 - as its been a while.

Wednesday is yoga. Thursday another full body session. Friday, rest. Saturday cardio and yoga - my usual. Sunday full body again. Plan to mix it up - some free weights, some machines , some body weight.

This will be good for me.

Foodie
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :bigsmile: March is starting out well for me. Alternating my small strength training and yoga days looks like it will work for me.......now that my exercise bike is working again, I'm riding it more while watching TV rather than spending so much time on the computer. Yesterday I met with a friend for a walk and an hour passed in a flash. The dogs never lose interest in going for a walk.

:heart: Barbie
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    50ishfoodie - sounds like you have a great plan…always nice to realize that you are stronger than you thought
    Barbie - so glad you are feeling good again

I hurt my low back on Friday. My DH thinks its because I added weighted gloves while doing Piloxing…I don't know what caused it but I'm going to hold off on strength training until it feels better. I've been doing cardio followed by 30 minutes of therapeutic yoga. It has been helping as each day I'm a bit better.

Stay strong everyone!

Jodios
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,161 Member
    Options
    Since February 25th (my last post) I have continued my half hour strength/toning workout on my regular rotation---Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. My shoulder is just a tiny bit better now but I am not pushing back up on the weights until it feels a lot better. Meanwhile I have also added some daily yoga practice each day—some days just a few poses and other days a longer routine. Walking daily and started T25 yesterday although I will have days when I cannot stay with his schedule due to travel and other obligations. I did finish my February challenge groups (butt challenge and love handle challenge) but decided I would not join any challenge groups for March.

50ishfoodie – congratulations on your plan—it sounds excellent to me. Good to see you here and I hope the virus is long gone by now. And it seems from your latest post that it is---GREAT WORK!:bigsmile:

JODIOS – also congratulations to you on the work you’ve been doing but I am sorry to hear of your recent back injury. Be kind to yourself and heal quickly. :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:

BARBIE – you have rehabbed so well. I am in awe! Go Barbie Go!!:bigsmile:

Be strong my friends.:flowerforyou:

Lin in Central Iowa where the sun is out today and robins are slowly appearing more often!! :glasses: :heart: :glasses:
  • cindylu1962
    cindylu1962 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Doing some great plank moves from my sis' Prevention kickboxing DVD. Really working my core!!!!!!
    It feels good to accomplish these planks.
  • jodios528
    Options
    did my first session of the week: Self's Bikini Ready Fast. My back is better but still twingy so I didn't up the weights. Did some cardio after to up the calorie burn...I'm headed out of town on business tomorrow and again at the mercy of whatever is served so trying to very good before I may be bad.

Cindylu - glad you are liking the DVD and the planks!

Lin - you are so wonderfully consistent and committed to your workouts!

Stay strong

Jodios in I can't believe its snowing again N. Il
  • 50ishFoodie
    50ishFoodie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi! Looks like all are doing great.
    Barbie - you have such commitment. Keep it up. :flowerforyou:
    Lin - the robins are out here. I bet you are ready for a break form winter. Looks like you've got a good routine going. :flowerforyou:
    Cindy - would love to hear more about the plank moves! :flowerforyou:
    Jodi - sorry about the back. I have done that before. Keep moving and it will get better. :flowerforyou:

As for my plan... yesterday was kind of a bust. Got distracted by phone calls - Mom is in the hospital again and was getting/sharing updates with my sisters. :ohwell: Got in a bit of cardio, but not the core workout. Did that today, though, instead of yoga. Forgot that today is DH's birthday and he wanted me to hang with him. :heart: So, did my hip PT and core workout after dinner. Will lift again tomorrow. Love the soreness I get from strength training. :happy:
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: It's hard to stay with a routine.......today I was able to do my modest strength training routine in small parts..slow and steady wins the race.

:bigsmile: Barbie from NW Washington

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1433479le3q4a7az6.gif2157045gp85zev8ri.gif1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
  • linder4866
    Options
    Once again I did my strength/toning workout.:bigsmile: Also trying T25 (started on Monday) and got to the Ab Workout today and found out I cannot even do the modified version. Tomorrow calls for TWO of his 25 minute routines (both new to me). I don't think I have it in me right now.:sad: I may have to go even slower--maybe one of his workouts every two days or something to get started. :brokenheart: And what I did try to do from the workout made my shoulder worse so my body is saying go SLOWER! :grumble: I'm listening.:wink: Also got my full yoga routine in as well as some walking.:bigsmile:

I guess we're all doing our best this week.:flowerforyou:

Be strong.

Lin
  • cindylu1962
    cindylu1962 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I did 20 minutes of tushy toning. I hope it is working.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Strength training and yoga today. :smile: Wishing everyone well!!:flowerforyou:

Be strong.

Lin
  • jodios528
    Options
    Did circuit training with my DH who is home for spring break. I ended up with the heavier weights so I pushed a bit - my back felt it a bit but I did better than I thought. We are planning on doing Zumba tomorrow :laugh:

Stay strong everyone!

Jodios in "it was actually above freezing" N. Il
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hello friends - weight training and yoga today. Still cannot move back up on the weights but I think my shoulder feels just a tiny bit better today.:happy: I'm going to give it plenty of time to heal up this time.:flowerforyou: I apparently don't bounce back very quickly.:sad: :sad:

Be strong!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Lin:glasses:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Hello friends - weight training and yoga today. Still cannot move back up on the weights but I think my shoulder feels just a tiny bit better today.:happy: I'm going to give it plenty of time to heal up this time.:flowerforyou: I apparently don't bounce back very quickly.:sad: :sad:

Be strong!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Lin:glasses:

You aren't alone in the reduced ability to bounce back. I'm out of weight mode and focusing on yoga, bike, and walking. I miss all of you, though. DH and I had our weight workout yesterday with the help of a come along. We loaded an old safe that has been in the family for generations into our car. DD wants it, and she's getting it. I wonder how her DH will get it out of the car. I have no idea how much it actually weighs, but I'm thinking 200 or more pounds. DH thinks it is 120 or so.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I am continuing with my brief modified strength training alternating with yoga and walking every day

:bigsmile: Barbie from NW Washington

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1433479le3q4a7az6.gif2157045gp85zev8ri.gif1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    [/quote]
  • jodios528
    Options
    did boot camp today so mix of drills with strength and cardio - I was really working hard and sweating a ton. I'm tired now and hope I won't be too sore tomorrow but glad I stuck it out :noway:

New move: squat with back leg lift - squat down and as you stand up lift your right leg up directly behind you and then bring the leg back so you are standing with feet hips distance apart. squat back down and this time as you stand lift the left leg straight back then return it to the ground in a wide stance. Continue alternating right and left

Stay strong everyone

Jodios
  • linder4866
    Options
    Great job Jodios! And Barbie--you are right on your plan--excellent. Katla49----thanks for letting me know I'm not the only *slow* healer here.

So again today---strength training and yoga. Got through everything but no upping any of the weights involved as I wait for my shoulder to improve even more.

Be strong!!

Lin:flowerforyou:
  • linder4866
    Options
    Me again----strength training and yoga today. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :heart: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Be strong.:glasses:

Lin :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • jodios528
    Options
    did circuit training today. I haven't been getting much sleep so I started out slow but then got more energy as I went so upped the weight and intensity. Feeling good right now! Cardio tomorrow.

Stay strong everyone!

Jodios