Strength Training Challenge

Options

Replies

• jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    did some Pilates based strength training and toning. I really liked it and was able to sweat and burn some calories. I should be able to get one more strength session in this week. I'm on the road for work so no time to write more…stay strong everyone!

Jodios
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,161 Member
    Options
    I got to the gym and did the weight circuit and then the fitness class both Tuesday and today. Today I did increase the weight on 3 of the upper body machines.

Wishing everyone a happy and healthy week.

Be strong.

Lin
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit jealous that you're able to do so much. I have to wait until the wrist heals for yoga and circuit training. I've been spending a lot of time on the bike.
  • linder4866
    Options
    I got to the gym yesterday and did my usual circuit of weight machines, walked, and then attended a fitness class----tabatas. The weight room had 4 -5 people in it, the cardio machines had 2 folks and our class only 3 people. Quite an exclusive group!

Wishing everyone the best possible. Hang in there---be strong.

Lin
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    Quick little mini-workout:

45 crunches followed by one minute plank followed by 5 pushups

1433479le3q4a7az6.gif[/url]2157045gp85zev8ri.gif
  • linder4866
    Options
    I did 3 Leslie Sansone DVDs today and two of them included strength training/toning. So all my muscle groups got a turn at toning and strengthening.

Thinking of you......wishing you well.

Be Strong.

Lin in Central Iowa
  • jodios528
    Options
    did the Butt Lift DVD - really worked my lower body. I don't have any dumb bells I can use here so won't be able to get back to my usual strength training until we are back home in a couple of days. I got several circuit training DVD's for the holidays that I can't wait to try. I'll share any new moves with you guys.

Have a continued great holiday season!

Jodios, temporarily in sunny, warm, So. Cal
  • jodios528
    Options
    did Jillian Michaels Hard Bodies DVD that I received for the holidays. My DD joined me. It was a great workout (circuit training so mixed in strength with cardio). I'm glad we started with level 1 - it was tough enough for us.

I only gained .4 pounds over our visit to So. Cal. so very happy about that. My goal for the new year is to keep up my strength training and see if I can kick it up a notch to tone up more. I'll do cardio 2-3 x/wk and then a day of yoga to stretch it all out.

Have a happy new year everyone!

Jodios in very very cold N. Il
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I went to the hand doctor yesterday and have been given permission to return to exercise provided it doesn't bend my hand back at the wrist. So that lets me back to most, if not all, of my circuit training. YAY! I'll be starting back at the fitness center the first of the year. Planks are also back on the okay list. I can even do down dog in yoga if I fist it instead of flat hand it. Waaah-HOOOOOOO!
  • jodios528
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone! did circuit training this morning with my DD. It was a great workout and so nice to have her for company. did upper, lower and core body. got to run, family will be over soon.

katia - so glad you can start to circuit train again!

Jodios in very snowy N. Il
  • linder4866
    Options
    Happy New Year to everyone---hope it is starting out well. I started a squat/pushup challenge yesterday---it's for the month of January and number of reps and sets climb each day. Days 1 and 2---okay so far! Due to some personal issues AND the really cold temperatures, going to the gym will likely be out of the question for a couple of weeks. Today I started doing the strength/toning portion of the Leslie Sansone DVD on Walk it Off in 30 Days (30 minutes of cardio 3X a week, 30 minutes of strength training 3X a week). It's a good workout and hits all the muscle groups.

Talk to you soon.

Be strong!

Lin
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Did Jillian shred L1 day 9 w/ 3,5,7.5lb dumbbells. I do that every other day. Going to go onto bodybuild and find another strength training workout that more focuses on each muscle to add on my jillian days.

I run on treadmill an average of an 50 mins 2-3x per week on the other days.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Happy New Year to everyone---hope it is starting out well. I started a squat/pushup challenge yesterday---it's for the month of January and number of reps and sets climb each day. Days 1 and 2---okay so far! Due to some personal issues AND the really cold temperatures, going to the gym will likely be out of the question for a couple of weeks. Today I started doing the strength/toning portion of the Leslie Sansone DVD on Walk it Off in 30 Days (30 minutes of cardio 3X a week, 30 minutes of strength training 3X a week). It's a good workout and hits all the muscle groups.

Continuing the squat/push-up challenge and repeated the 30 minute strength/toning workout described above.

Be Strong (and stay warm)!

Lin
  • linder4866
    Options

Continuing the squat/push-up challenge and repeated the 30 minute strength/toning workout described above.

Lin

Yep
    repeated again today. At least it's starting to warm up outside. But flu is on the increase so I plan to keep working out at home for a while.

Be Strong.

Lin
  • linder4866
    Options

Lin

Yep
    repeated again today. At least it's starting to warm up outside. But flu is on the increase so I plan to keep working out at home for a while.

Be Strong.

Lin

Yep---did the same thing again yesterday.........

Be strong?

Lin
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Good news is that I have been more active in the gym than I have on this board. :laugh: :laugh:
    I'm continuing weekly workouts with my trainer, and 'm learning lots of different exercises using resistance bands. I bought a full set with nice set with nice foam handles as my hands are small and weak. Even my husband has started to play around with them.

There is a squat challenge going on with my colleagues in NY, and all the out-based staff (like myself) have been invited to join in. I HATE squats with a passion, so of course, I'm in! If I can complete even half the challenge that's growth for me.

Lin: I just tried tabata for first time yesterday. Challenging. My trainer is going to help me find an app for my kindle so I can mimic the timing when I work out in the condo gym.

Here's to a great New Year. Stay strong.

-Rori
  • linder4866
    Options
    Rori - excellent!!! I think tabatas are wonderful conditioning and strengthening work. Good for you. Happy to hear your trainer is helping you find an app so you can do the same type of workout in the condo gym.:bigsmile:

I got back to the squat/pushup challenge yesterday after the prescribed rest day. The challenge boosts up from 2 sets of the prescribed repetitions to 3 sets for the remainder of the month. I think I may have reached the capability of my shoulder for pushup reps. :ohwell: We'll see, if my shoulder continues to howl at me I will need to try for the total number of pushups per day but break them down into fewer reps in a set. :blushing:

Also did the Leslie Sansone strength workout and upped the weights for the chest exercises. :smile:

Keeping at it----! Best wishes to all and BE STRONG.

Lin
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    a dedicated day for abs is really unnecessary. if strength training is done correctly, your abs get a great work out doing the session. if at the end of the session you'd like to do a few sets of direct ab work, that is fine.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    My own current new goal is a 425lb dead lift (405 is my current best), and it would be pretty neat to get to a 315lb bench press by the end of this year, although that is a solid 20% jump from where I last benched.

I have more or less set "ultimate" goals of a 315lb bench, 405lb squat, and 495lb dead lift, but if I happen to hit those one day, I refuse to stop at them.
  • linder4866
    Options
    YESTERDAY - another day of the January squat/pushup challenge and the strength training DVD. Yes!!

Be strong and wishing everyone well.

Lin