September 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I don’t know if the speedy surgery is because of something found in the first biopsy or standard treatment. Things usually move slower up here in Canada with our universal healthcare.

We have universal health care in NZ as well and they move that fast here for anything melanoma. My Nana had a melanoma on her hand and was seen within a few days for excision it had not spread or anything. I think Melanoma gets people moving fast.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »

I have a question. Has anyone had trouble with the band on their Garmim FR35? Mine broke. I tried to order a replacement on Amazon but it wasn't the right size. The Garmin site says there are no user replacement bands. I fixed it with super glue and so far so good. Just wondered if anyone else had had that issue and if you had any better solutions.

I don't know specifically about the 35, but the strap on my 630 broke.

I ordered a replacement online, making sure it came with the tool I need to remove and replace the band. Then I put the broken band together with duct tape and went out for my Saturday run. The run was based out of a running store, and they didn't have any replacement 630 bands. But the guy said he had something that might work; for 4 times what I paid online, he replaced the band with one that works better than the original. I later asked, and he sold me a band for a 735. It was worth it, because I didn't have to find out whether the duct tape would be good enough on a 12 mile run.

So . . . it wouldn't cost you anything to haul the 35 into a running store and ask them if it can take a band from other models of Garmin. Maybe they can replace it for you and maybe you can learn enough to get a band cheaper online and replace it yourself.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,094 Member
    Options
    @RunRachelleRun So sorry to hear about your diagnosis. It sounds like you caught it early, so will hopefully be okay. I agree with Pastor Vincent - don't cancel your plans unless your doctor advises you to. If you are like me, and want to be on the safe side, can you buy the flight insurance which allows you to change your flights for free if something does happen? I usually do that when I fly. You never know what might happen. Sending lots of positive thoughts and vibes your way. Oh, I volunteer with the American Cancer Society. You can call them anytime for questions you may have about melanoma, sun safety after a diagnosis, or any other concerns you may have. They are there 24/7, 365 days a year.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo I did not buy the flight cancellation insurance. But I can get a partial credit voucher good for a year and is transferable, so I could potentially sell it. I can get a full refund on the accommodation until the first week of October, which is why I was feeling uncertain. If I wait too long to cancel, we will be out about 2500.

@avidkeo Thanks for that info. It would be great if is is standard here too.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 Good work knocking out that race in tough conditions!
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Rest day today. Great race reports all. Lazy day reading and cooking for the week today. Back at it tomorrow.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

1---7.01 intervals
    2---5.04 intervals
    3---9.03 intervals
    5---3.67 run
    8---7.52 intervals
    9---6.27 run
    11---4.59 run
    14---8.20 bike
    15---5.60 humid slog
    16--3.25 intervals with dh

Running. 52.4/60
    Cycling 8.20

Upcoming Races
    October 14th Spirit of Survival Lawton OK. Quarter Marathon
    November 3rd Dinosaur Valley Endurance Run. Half. Glen Rose TX
    January 4 BIRR Ultra relay. 50k. Hawaii. For @KeepRunningFatboy
    March 31, 2019 A2A Undecided distance. Ardmore OK
    April 28, 2019 OKC Memorial Marathon (half)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Started official marathon training this morning. Plan called for 3 miles, but that just doesn't even seem worth lacing up for, so I went ahead and did 4. Was SUPER slow, but didn't want to overdue it as my right leg is still hurting a bit, but time off didn't do any good. From past experience, seems like running through it is the only thing that helps me. I know, that is probably the worst advice, but it seems to work for me. I am feeling better after this morning's run that I have felt in months. Go figure.
    @mbaker566 and @RunsOnEspresso thank you for mentioning KT Tape! I used it this morning and it made a HUGE difference! I couldn't believe how well it worked. I am a believer now.

@Scott6255 Depending on your fitness level you might be able to skip the early weeks in the marathon plan. Look for a week that seems to be about where you are (but not a cutback week) and try that.

Of course be careful with that hurt leg though!

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    @pastorvincent that's the trail I biked last summer (Ohiopyle-Cumberland one day, then Ohiopyle-Pittsburgh a couple weeks later). Next time we're in the States I want to do Cumberland-DC.
    I do remember a few places closer to Pittsburgh where it would be easy to lose the trail.

I start therapy tomorrow, and am feeling hopeful after my appointment with a Physio today.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,094 Member
    Options
    @RunRachelleRun As others have said, you'll probably be okay to go. Maybe check with the surgeon if you are still unsure.