9/6 10 miles
    9/7 14 miles
    9/8 4miles
    9/9 rest
    9/10 9.41 miles
    9/11 8miles
    9/12 5miles
    9/13 4miles
    9/14 20MILES!!!!!! <- I did it all on the TREADMILL!!!

So what do you do when you have a long run scheduled and you are stuck inside due to a tropical storm warning? Well, you lament that you are stuck inside and resign yourself to skipping it cause who in their right mind would ever run 20 miles on a dreadmill??!!

Well, I figured I had nothing else to do. I also knew I wouldn't be able to run the entire thing straight so I decided to break it up into segments. I did 8 miles, then 6 miles, then 4, then 2. It took me 4 hours and 50 minutes total with breaks between where I would drink water and change into dry running clothes and also feed my kids lunch :smile: I had a pouch of Honey Stingers after 14 miles and they didn't bother my stomach so that's good to know for future long runs.

Here it is! I went by the treadmill mileage since my Garmin in "indoor" mode doesn't seem as accurate. It wasn't too far off though!

3/18/2018 Shamrock half marathon
    3/24/2018 Don't Sit on Colon Cancer 5K
    5/28/2018 Run to Remember 5K

10/7/2018 Crawlin Crab half marathon
    10/13/2018 Joggin for Frogmen 5K
    11/18/2018 Norfolk Harbor half marathon
    12/2/2018 Busch Gardens Christmas Town Dash 8K

To complete 20 miles is hard enough physically and mentally. 20 miles on a dreadmill.....even more of a mental challenge to overcome. Just incredible! Very well done!

I could not run 20 miles on the dreadmill. We don't get tropical storms where I live, but we do get winter storms. There was a Saturday in 2016 when the weather was so severe that all the group runs were canceled and GRTC even had to call off the Freezeroo race that day because it was so cold. I was scheduled to run 22 miles, and didn't think I could handle more than 10 to 13 outside.

So I ran my 22 miles as 177 laps of a 200m indoor track. Later, someone suggested I could have run it on a treadmill. I just stared at him; that never occurred to me.

So 177 laps would make me dizzy! Plus doesn't that mean one leg got more work out than the other? I am not sure I could pull off 20 miles on a dreadmill but I think that would be more likely for me than 177 laps! How in the world did you keep track?

Track strategy: Start Garmin. Set to my interval screen, which shows lap time and lap distance. Count 8 physical laps, press lap button. Let Garmin count 22 timed laps of 8 track laps. Think of it as 22 x 1600m easy, with no recovery. Then add 1 track lap to make the full 22 miles.

There were times I lost count of track laps, but the lap time was such that I could figure out where I was in the progression from 1 to 8 track laps, but I could figure it out from lap time. There were times I didn't remember which mile I was on, but Garmin displayed how many 1600m laps I was doing. If I hadn't broken it up into chunks of 8 track laps and had Garmin to count 1600m laps I would have lost count of track laps for sure.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @MobyCarp My friend from the local running club has a BQ Time. Julie Boles Gummesen. As long as they don't shift the time due to an abundance of competitors.
    Can you provide any suggestions on accommodation since it will be at a premium - where do you book to give the best travel options. If I remember it's bus service to the start area and then fend for yourself after the finish.

Book early. It's a tradeoff between cost and distance from finish line. The bus service runs from close to the finish line back to Hopkinton, but it's right by Arlington Station; so a hotel on the T would be next best thing to a hotel close to the finish line.

I reserved my hotel last May when they opened up, and got a better price for a good location than I got the last 3 years reserving my hotel in September.

Learn to use the T. If you're going to be there 3 or 4 days, buy a 7 day pass. It's worth it, even though on Marathon Monday people wearing race bibs can ride the T for free. But having a 7 day unlimited pass means I don't worry about hopping on the T for a mile to get an ice cream cone at McDonalds, or riding the T out 2 miles so I can do my 2 mile shakedown on the last 2 miles of the course instead of out and back on the last mile of the course.

The hotel may say the best way to get there from the airport is a cab. If the hotel is anywhere close to a T station, the best way to get between the airport and the hotel is the T. You can board the silver line for free at the airport, and then transfer however many times you need to in order to get where you're going. If you're buying a 7 day pass, that matters only because it means you don't have to get that pass immediately at the airport, it can wait till the next time you need the T. (Disclosure: This year I bought the 7 day pass at the airport and got on the blue line, since I needed fewer transfers by that route.)
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    HonuNui wrote: »
    September, she'll remember (to run)
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    So i realized we did the SPAM virtual run ladt October and went looking to sign up for it again and found this: https://www.aimatmelanoma.org/get-involved/aim-for-the-cure-walks/

@skippygirlsmom did you know? Love it!

I'm so glad they made the "cover!" I didn't organize a S.P.A.M. run this year....I'm in that ostrich stage of grief.....

No worries of course. I can imagine your grief.

Alex is lost to alcohol and mental illness (bipolar diagnosis), no idea if he'll ever come out of it. I know its not the same thing, but I've lost him. Ive lost count of how many times hes tired to kill himself, 5 maybe 6. Hes not who he once was in my life. I'm not good at relationships anyway, so the whole thing just pushes me further in to antisocial behavior/attachment disorder type crap. Further away from people i can get the better. I get cynical. (Sure doesnt help ive been running with his old mp3 player. When days of innocence prevailed). Ugh enough about my woes. ((Hugs))

We're doing the Virtual 26.2 hour relay for Dennis and i noticed it fell on the same day i did the spam for Steve. So I'll definitely have him and you in my thoughts too.

We could continue it and make October 14th or second weekend in October, our fallen runners/lost love ones rememberance runs days. A "Run Your Heart Out" run. What troubles your heart, let your legs take far away.
    @elise4270 - I can't imagine losing a child to alcohol and mental illness any more than I can to losing one to death. So painful either way! {{hugs}} to you too!
    I love your idea above in bold!

@katharmonic - You are a rockstar! Like @Elise4270 I am way down the list 😳
    @sarahthes - can't believe the weather you all are getting already!
    @AlphaHowls - congratulations on a great race and AG place!
    @rheddmobile - Congratulations to both you and your husband! That announcer would get my love too!

All of this ^^ @shanaber said it so well
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins wooo congratulations on 10k! It's such a great feeling! And jinx on the expensive sentiment, I pretty much said the exact same thing after you.

Remember stretch, stretch and stretch some more. I'm also a convert to rolling when particularly tight, it hurts like hell but works wonders. Can't comment on compression as have never tried it.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    @eleanorhawkins wooo congratulations on 10k! It's such a great feeling! And jinx on the expensive sentiment, I pretty much said the exact same thing after you.

Remember stretch, stretch and stretch some more. I'm also a convert to rolling when particularly tight, it hurts like hell but works wonders. Can't comment on compression as have never tried it.

@Avidkeo thanks, it is a great feeling! The legs not so much lol. I was just debating with myself in the shower on whether a bath later would be a good thing for my legs and whether hot or cold is better. Have read so much contrasting opinion on these things.
    Re: the rolling, I'm getting into a habit of a few minutes every night before bed, seems to be helping my tight calves BUT I can't for the life of me find a way to do them without my hands and wrists ending up killing me from holding myself up on them. Wonder if anyone knows of a trick to avoid that? Googling came up with nothing more helpful than 'use a rolling pin instead'......
    On another note, my new shoes have given me slight blisters. If the husband finds out that the new shoes I spent a small fortune on gave me blisters he will not be amused. Fook lol. Really hope that's just a breaking them in thing and not going to be a regular problem. Pfft.
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options

My osteopath (himself an ultra runner) swears by ‘the stick’ https://www.thestick.com. I’ve been meaning to get one myself.

Interesting, thanks, will look into that!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options

@Avidkeo thanks, it is a great feeling! The legs not so much lol. I was just debating with myself in the shower on whether a bath later would be a good thing for my legs and whether hot or cold is better. Have read so much contrasting opinion on these things.
    Re: the rolling, I'm getting into a habit of a few minutes every night before bed, seems to be helping my tight calves BUT I can't for the life of me find a way to do them without my hands and wrists ending up killing me from holding myself up on them. Wonder if anyone knows of a trick to avoid that? Googling came up with nothing more helpful than 'use a rolling pin instead'......
    On another note, my new shoes have given me slight blisters. If the husband finds out that the new shoes I spent a small fortune on gave me blisters he will not be amused. Fook lol. Really hope that's just a breaking them in thing and not going to be a regular problem. Pfft.

Where are you getting blisters? Could they be your socks, i know i get blisters from a particular pair of socks I have, not the shoes. And who did you buy the shoes through. Often companies have a pretty good returns policy...
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options

Where are you getting blisters? Could they be your socks, i know i get blisters from a particular pair of socks I have, not the shoes. And who did you buy the shoes through. Often companies have a pretty good returns policy...

At the inside of the widest part of my foot, just below my toes. These shoes are narrower than my other ones. Had no trouble on the two 5 km runs I did in them earlier this week and the first of those was in the same socks. Fingers crossed it's just a case of breaking them in and they'll be ok for shorter distances at least. I bought them while on holiday in Tenerife, mainly because the shop had a good gait analysis service and lots of choice, neither of which I have access to at home. So..... no chance of returning them :-(
    They're only small blisters, and don't hurt or anything, only noticed them in the shower. Just that it's the first time I've had a single one since I started running. Just another one of those firsts on the long, bumpy road.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I just ran 10 kilometres. I just ran 10 kilometres. Oh my God I just ran 10 kilometres!!!

Well done!!!
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options

My osteopath (himself an ultra runner) swears by ‘the stick’ https://www.thestick.com. I’ve been meaning to get one myself.

I don’t have “the” stick, but I have another brand of stick, and I much prefer it to a foam roller. I just find it so much easier to use!

• eleanorhawkins
    Options

I don’t have “the” stick, but I have another brand of stick, and I much prefer it to a foam roller. I just find it so much easier to use!

This may be crazy but after reading some stuff on that link I'm wondering whether to just roll them over with the rolling pin as a temporary measure. Maybe that was what was meant by the rolling pin comment rather than to use it like a foam roller!

Thanks @PastorVincent