September 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    I created it so I get to be first 🤣

I am in for 100 miles again!

Cheater.
    @PastorVincent - You can create it next month and be first - ha!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    So a couple of questions.

The information for the HM says the provide water and loaded drinks at the drink stations. I've heard of sports drinks being referred to as "loaded" and there is a brand here called loaded. I assume the drinks will be loaded brand? I want to make sure cause I want to get some for my long runs to test it out.

Second, bigger busted ladies - I currently wear a sports bra with a rank top over, but as it gets hotter I hate having anything around my waist. I could just run in the bra, but I know that's frowned on (not that i care). Does anyone run with a crop or something over the top of their sports bra? I'm worried about feeling too constricted. I've got 11 weeks and want to train as I intend on running the Half.

Oh and PS. I've been toying with the idea of doing a whole marathon. Crazy and nuts right?
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,646 Member
    Avidkeo wrote: »

The information for the HM says the provide water and loaded drinks at the drink stations. I've heard of sports drinks being referred to as "loaded" and there is a brand here called loaded. I assume the drinks will be loaded brand? I want to make sure cause I want to get some for my long runs to test it out.

Second, bigger busted ladies - I currently wear a sports bra with a rank top over, but as it gets hotter I hate having anything around my waist. I could just run in the bra, but I know that's frowned on (not that i care). Does anyone run with a crop or something over the top of their sports bra? I'm worried about feeling too constricted. I've got 11 weeks and want to train as I intend on running the Half.

Oh and PS. I've been toying with the idea of doing a whole marathon. Crazy and nuts right?

Professionally speaking, the spelling should give you your answer. Loaded with a capital L indicates a brand name. Lowercase L could be any sports drink. However, as sponsors rarely go unacknowledged, I’d be tempted to say it’s the Loaded brand.

As for tanks and sports bras, I always wear a t-shirt regardless of how hot I get if simply to prevent sunburn (and weird tan lines, if I’m honest). I wouldn’t do a half in Northland in november without covering my shoulders. And I’d definitely wear a hat too.

As for full marathons. Mad. But sure, why not??
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited September 2018

Professionally speaking, the spelling should give you your answer. Loaded with a capital L indicates a brand name. Lowercase L could be any sports drink. However, as sponsors rarely go unacknowledged, I’d be tempted to say it’s the Loaded brand.

As for tanks and sports bras, I always wear a t-shirt regardless of how hot I get if simply to prevent sunburn (and weird tan lines, if I’m honest). I wouldn’t do a half in Northland in november without covering my shoulders. And I’d definitely wear a hat too.

As for full marathons. Mad. But sure, why not??

I thought of the grammer, I should double check but I'm assuming it's the brand.

Re t-shirt, race starts at 730am so should be done by 930 but yes given I'm so pale I get moonburn, and a hat has now become normal attire after everyone's suggestions for rain, I figure it's good fo all weather lol. May need to invest in a new running T.

I defwthink im mad. Honestly the only thing stopping me is the amount of time needed to train. 1hr on week days is hard enough.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,646 Member
    Re t-shirt, race starts at 730am so should be done by 930 but yes given I'm so pale I get moonburn, and a hat has now become normal attire after everyone's suggestions for rain, I figure it's good fo all weather lol. May need to invest in a new running T.

If you’re after recommendations, The more expensive shirts are the best for moisture wicking, which equates to keeping you cool. Some of the cheaper/less technical fabrics don’t seem to breathe the same and are very hot to run in. I prefer Adidas.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member

So Loaded Drinks is probably:

Loaded Drinks Limited
    https://loadeddrinks.com

I have never heard of them but they appear to be an NZ brand so that is not a surprise. Look like just another sports drink and that would make sense.

Also, 11 weeks would be tight to train for a running full marathon. With dedication, it could be done, but you need to decide that NOW, not 6 weeks from now.

As for the top... I am not really equipped to answer that one. :lol:
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,954 Member
    @Avidkeo That looks like an awesome place to run a 10K, even if the wind was horrible, and you had an amazing time, by my standards.
    @juliet3455 I started to just delete it and insert an emoji, but didn't. o:):D
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member

Why would just a sports bra be frowned upon? I think you should wear whatever you feel comfortable in.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Today was the first day I didn't cry trying to straighten my knee since I fell on my trail race last week. I should be able to start running again tomorrow.

In other news, Skip had her first COLLEGE! XC meet on Friday night. She wasn't happy with her time 24:26, but she looked good and you all know I cried when she crossed the finish line. She was 3rd fastest in her school of 7 and we learned DAMN those college girls can run.

@skippygirlsmom Glad to hear that your knee is getting better, maybe do a split power walk - run to start back so you get a good stretch and warmup with the walk before loading up a run.
    Skip not happy with her time - I would be ecstatic with a sub 25 time. She needs to remember the other college girls have probably had a few years of college coaching and training which will give them a slight advantage - Skip was 3rd for her group - excellent. Glad you get a weekend with her.

@MegaMooseEsq The decision between Handheld, belt or pack is so personal. I have all 3.

Initially got a small Fitletic Hydration belt with 2 - 8oz bottles and an option for 2 more. It had a small pouch for a phone/gels. It was designed with race bib mounts and main closure to hook at the back putting the bottles on your front hips. But I could never get it to feel right, I even tried wearing it backwards just never felt right. The bottles were easy to get in/out and the belt had an elastic locking loop to secure the bottles that you could do by feel. The pouch's zipper was in the middle not the top so when open things could fall out easily.

Handheld Water bottle - a Nathan 16oz with a built in band to secure it - very comfortable and I hardly notice it. As @PastorVincent mentioned the common negative experience is reduced freedom of that hand - this year at a Trail Race at km 12 ( 2 km past last Aid station ) I tripped on a Magic Spider Web and naturally extended my arms to catch the fall - blew the top off my bottle and lost all my water so the last 9km were mentally tough.

Now I have a Osprey Bag with a 3 liter bladder, it's the only bag I could find that fit me - most were to short and the bottom waist belt would be above my Ribs. Love it - lots of pockets on the shoulder straps - could hold 2 - 12 oz collapsible bottles plus gels . Pockets on the waist belt for gels, s tabs etc. Attachment points for poles and other stuff. I heard one person comment it looked like a climbers day pack - so maybe has been re-marketed as a runners bag. I will probably add a small 1 liter bladder for an electrolyte - energy drink or a collapsible bottle so I can have a choice.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    zdyb23456 wrote: »

Why would just a sports bra be frowned upon? I think you should wear whatever you feel comfortable in.

+1!! Definitely!!!! Look up #SportsBraSquad, Kelly Roberts, Instagram has "I have a runner's body" as well. There are times I don't run in a shirt either, and I DEFINITELY don't look like Des Linden or Gwen Jorgensen!

OP, if you don't care, then don't care. Get a pretty sports bra and run away!! lol

http://womensrunning.competitor.com/2016/07/run-selfie-repeat/why-you-should-join-the-sports-bra-squad_62619
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    My local community league has someone trying to organize a Tuesday night running club. Participating would be way out of my comfort zone so I decided to at least give it a try, depending on when they start. Coach says I'm supposed to run 5-7km easy on Tuesdays which should be easy do with a group as long as I stick with the other slowpokes.

After seeing the trail conditions yesterday I really hope the end of September and beginning of October is dry. Trying to pile 300 people on those trails in poor conditions would probably just wreck the trails, although the organizers would probably reroute us as they're pretty responsible trail users.

I wasn't impressed with how much mud got stuck in the lugs of my trail shoes though. Trail runners - what shoes are you running in these days? Any suggestions for mud?
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    @Avidkeo - UnderArmour has some crop type shorter shirts but unless you really want a new shirt you could just cut an old one like @eleanorhawkins mentioned or just run in your sports bra. Like @zdyb23456 I don't know why that is frowned on. Is it a NZ thing? If you decide that is what you want to try I would invest in lots of good sunscreen and make sure you have room to carry a small tube to reapply on your neck, chest and shoulders about midway into your long runs. For me it is easier to apply before I go and wear a short sleeve tech t-shirt.

Oh and if you or others need more Kelly Roberts motivation (I happen to love her) she has a new Nike ad and a youtube channel following her attempt to BQ
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    9/1 = Walk in Park with dogs and husband instead of running.
    9/2 = 16 miles

16 mile memorial run for my grandmother who passed away yesterday. :(

September goal miles = 175 / 16 miles-to-date

Upcoming Races:
    10/27 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    11/22 = Georgetown Turkey Trot
    1/26/19 = Miami Tropical 5K
    1/27/19 = Miami Marathon
    3/10/19 = ZOOMA half (potentially)

I am so sorry about your grandmother. 😞

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member