September 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless So sorry for your loss. Nice that you ran in her memory.
    @skippygirlsmom great to hear Skip doing so well in her first college race. Proud of her. And you for getting back out there after that horrible fall and torn up knees.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    I have a question for the group - when you go on vacation or a business trip do you get excited about running in a new place and spend time plotting out where you might be able to run?

Yes. Absolutely. I spend hours plotting new runs, but invariably chicken out of anything too ambitious as I have the world's worst sense of direction and run a serious risk of getting totally lost in a strange city. Consequently favour well defined loops (intersections are where things go wrong) or out and back.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    +1!! Definitely!!!! Look up #SportsBraSquad, Kelly Roberts, Instagram has "I have a runner's body" as well. There are times I don't run in a shirt either, and I DEFINITELY don't look like Des Linden or Gwen Jorgensen!

OP, if you don't care, then don't care. Get a pretty sports bra and run away!! lol

http://womensrunning.competitor.com/2016/07/run-selfie-repeat/why-you-should-join-the-sports-bra-squad_62619

Yeah have heard of her and she's brilliant. There are times at the moment when I do go in just a bra and I don't care - mostly. Maybe it's not frowned on, I just feel self conscious. I never ever wore a bikini till this year because I was self conscious of my tummy. I'm learning to get over it because comfort over looks. It's so much more comfortable that a shirt and damn it if any one were to comment, I just ran 10k. the day you run 10k you can comment. Thought @ContraryMaryMary had an excellent point about sunburn. Its particularly harsh in NZ, and especially where I live. A T is so much easier than trying to apply sunblock and missing spots

I don't even run in singlets because of sunburn. You're right, the half starts early and you should be done by the time it gets super burny, but then there's all the loitering about afterwards which is lethal for sunburn - I swear, you finish at 9:30, you grab a drink and a banana, next minute, it's 11am and you're fried. Also, you'll want to train in what you're going to race in, which may be at times a bit later than the event.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your great overall finish and winning your age group at Oak Tree, @MobyCarp. Well done in these hot and humid conditions. Impressive! Glad you are doing so well and feeling healthy.

I'm trying to inspire a group roadtrip to Rochester in the next few weeks for a long run somewhere new (getting so bored of the same old trails). The Genesee Riverway Trail looks like a good option. Some of us will need up to 20 miles or so, some less. Then brunch or lunch. If you have any recommendations or suggestions on the trail let me know! I also just saw that the Rochester Half/Marathon is coming up so that might be a possibility, though not sure the timing will work.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,972 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless Sorry for your loss.
    @shanaber I'm completely the opposite. I have a hard time getting out and even walking when I am on vacation. Of course, part of that is because I usually go to FL and have the grandkids to entertain, which I don't get to see nearly often enough. I go with good intentions, but wind up doing nothing. :/
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your great overall finish and winning your age group at Oak Tree, @MobyCarp. Well done in these hot and humid conditions. Impressive! Glad you are doing so well and feeling healthy.

I'm trying to inspire a group roadtrip to Rochester in the next few weeks for a long run somewhere new (getting so bored of the same old trails). The Genesee Riverway Trail looks like a good option. Some of us will need up to 20 miles or so, some less. Then brunch or lunch. If you have any recommendations or suggestions on the trail let me know! I also just saw that the Rochester Half/Marathon is coming up so that might be a possibility, though not sure the timing will work.

The Rochester Half isn't as challenging a course as Oak Tree, but it does have some noticeable ups and downs. You start on top of the Niagara escarpment, run down almost to the level of Lake Ontario, run back up, and go down halfway and back up when you cross the Genesee River at Seneca Park. Get that much done, and you only have a 5K with rolling hills left . . . including a short, steep hill at mile 11. That hill at mile 11 can break the spirits of someone who doesn't know it's coming; but it's the last steep up left on the course. The Rochester Full Marathon does the loop twice, with an added down and back up loop in the cemetery. The Rochester Marathon is geographically more challenging than Boston, though it will be logistically easier. September 23 for the Rochester Half & Marathon. I'll likely be running cross country in Buffalo that day.

The 10 mile loop of the Rochester Half course is a pretty route for a long run, and it isn't nearly as challenging for a long slow run as it is for a race. There's a couple of turns that might be hard to find without course markings, road marshals, or a local runner who has been over the route; but I've run it on training runs and enjoyed it.

There is a break in the Genesee Riverway Trail south of the Rochester Marathon course, where you have to get past some unattractive city streets to get to the more southerly part of the trail that is runnable. The more southerly section is much flatter than the Rochester Marathon route. It's pretty, you can run on both sides of the river, and there's usually some segments affected by construction. I could run you around a bunch of asphalt and crushed stone trails based out of Genesee Valley Park, including the Riverway Trail, the Lehigh Valley Trail, the Greenway Trail, and a piece of the Erie Canal Trail; but I don't know what I'd recommend for someone unfamiliar with the area who has no local runners to run with and a group of people who have diverse mileage needs. Maybe just look at the Strava heat maps and see what's popular.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

@skippygirlsmom Sounds like Skip is doing great. The fact she has stiff competition will be good to drive her :)

@amymoreorless Sorry for your loss. That was sweet running in memory of her.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Xterra just released this video of the event I'm entered on November 17. I'm now super excited. Looks amazing!

https://youtu.be/dWxqrueyrH8

Oh looks cool! so you definitely wont be joining me then lol