Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

If you drink Diet Coke obsessively....You might be a runner. What's that all about?

Options

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I challenge you to show that water is not good for you.

Also known as hydroxic acid, it is a powerful solvent (it's even known as "the universal solvent" because it can dissolve so many substances) found in many industrial cleaning agents, accelerates the corrosion of metals and the breakdown of wooden structures, and can cause death in a matter of minutes if aspirated into the lungs.

;)

As a teen, I trolled my friends and family with an email calling for them to sign a petition to ban the deadly dihydrogen monoxide. lol
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Not saying coke or diet coke is bad and it may not be however I challenge someone to show that it is good for you. Me I am a water drinker and a runner. I am also a keto person now so I guess I will skip the bagels with cheese and just hit the fruit. I know it is still carbs but the fruit carbs seem better for me....we'll see.

Challenge accepted.
    As shown earlier in the thread, soda (regular or diet) hydrates at least as well as water, thus it is very good for you (seeing as how hydration is critical for life).
    From there, there are no known negative affects to offset the health benefits of proper hydration gained by drinking soda.
    Regular soda can be calorie dense and not very filling so may make it more difficult to maintain a proper intake of energy but otherwise has no ingredients which are harmful to your health.
    Diet soda is essentially calorie free and also has no ingredients which are harmful to your health and thus the choice between hydrating with water vs diet coke boils down to preference.

Diet Coke is as good for you as water.

Challenge accepted!
    Water is good for you, done. I know what you meant but you asked me "to show water is not good for you" (for the humor impaired this is meant to be funny but not hilarious)

Saying that diet soda hydrates as well as water may be true but it also includes CARBONATED WATER, CARAMEL COLOR, ASPARTAME, PHOSPHORIC ACID, POTASSIUM BENZOATE (TO PROTECT TASTE), NATURAL FLAVORS, CITRIC ACID, CAFFEINE.

While all of these may not have a dangerous or harmful effect that does not mean they have no effect. Take regular cola for example it has high fructose sweeteners which are not necessarily bad however in some people it causes insulin resistance issues. Anyway I just prefer water and can do without diet soda as a personal preference. If further down the road any of these ingredients are found to be a negative I will be unaffected. If water is found to be bad for me I am doomed.

There was no typo. I meant "show me that water is not good for you."
    Point is that diet soda does all the good things for you that water does. If water is good for you then so is Diet Coke.

As to the bolded, your statement is as relevant as saying "your desk may be good for sitting at but it also contains WOOD, FORMICA, BRASS, ALUMINUM, RUBBER. These may not be harmful but that doesn't mean they don't have an effect."

If things aren't bad for you, they aren't bad for you. "They may not be bad for you but may still be bad for you" is a senseless thing to say.

Also, insulin resistance is not caused by intake of high fructose sweeteners (or any sugar for that matter).
    https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/diabetes/overview/what-is-diabetes/prediabetes-insulin-resistance

I will take all this in if I decide to eat my desk
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    boehle wrote: »
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    Diet Coke is 99% water and actually hydrates you better than water. cbq1lnhrxndm.jpeg

Where did you get this chart from?

It’s an illustration of the results found from this study:
    https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/103/3/717/4564598

There’s another illustration of the same results found in the link but it isn’t as pretty.

I am just stuck on how you got some many oreo's in your mouth.. I strive to be you!

I have another pic where I fit five. The four was a better pose for the avatar, though. lol

But you ate all 9, didn't you?

(It's page 5 - I'm allowed to jump in with a totally unrelated comment now, right?)

Just 9??? What kind of chump do you take me for?
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I read in the past that people would shake up cocacola so that it becomes flat and drink it. It served the same purpose as a energy drink/energy shot. Dunno how much of it's true since i have never tried it.

Flat Coke was the old school sports drink in the cycling community back before sports drinks were commonly available. It's mostly just water with sugar and a bit of caffiene to give you a boost on a long ride. It was normally "flattened" by opening the bottle and leaving the cap off the day before. Even today, when pro road racers grab their musette bags in the feed zones of a race, there's often a can of Coke in there.

FWIW, fig newtons were the Powerbar of their day.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I read in the past that people would shake up cocacola so that it becomes flat and drink it. It served the same purpose as a energy drink/energy shot. Dunno how much of it's true since i have never tried it.

Flat Coke was the old school sports drink in the cycling community back before sports drinks were commonly available. It's mostly just water with sugar and a bit of caffiene to give you a boost on a long ride. It was normally "flattened" by opening the bottle and leaving the cap off the day before. Even today, when pro road racers grab their musette bags in the feed zones of a race, there's often a can of Coke in there.

FWIW, fig newtons were the Powerbar of their day.

still very common on ironman courses - most sports drinks give me gut rot, but coke works just fine
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke is 99% water and actually hydrates you better than water. cbq1lnhrxndm.jpeg

There’s another illustration of the same results found in the link but it isn’t as pretty.

I am just stuck on how you got some many oreo's in your mouth.. I strive to be you!

I have another pic where I fit five. The four was a better pose for the avatar, though. lol

(It's page 5 - I'm allowed to jump in with a totally unrelated comment now, right?)

Oh Em Gee. And we are neighbors. I am going to come steal the rest of your cookies and re-enact your pose.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

Also known as hydroxic acid, it is a powerful solvent (it's even known as "the universal solvent" because it can dissolve so many substances) found in many industrial cleaning agents, accelerates the corrosion of metals and the breakdown of wooden structures, and can cause death in a matter of minutes if aspirated into the lungs.

;)

As a teen, I trolled my friends and family with an email calling for them to sign a petition to ban the deadly dihydrogen monoxide. lol

Petitions to end "insert victim group here" sufferage are also quite illuminating.
  • purintoast
    purintoast Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Could have an eating disorder. Could be a runner. Maybe both.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    purintoast wrote: »

Eating disorder or runner are the only two scenarios where drinking diet soda makes sense?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Maybe a running disorder?????
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options

;)

I like the terms "hydroxic acid" or "hydrogen hydroxide" because lots of people have heard of DHMO by now, but those two are still obscure enough to catch people out.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Or maybe you just like diet soda?

Diet Coke isn't my thing, but I drink a lot of diet ginger ale. Because I like it. There's really no deep seated reason for it.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

Certainly not the kind who would start an Ode to Oreos thread on a fitness site :lol:
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Diet Coke isn't my thing, but I drink a lot of diet ginger ale. Because I like it. There's really no deep seated reason for it.

Nah.

Pretty sure it makes you a serial killer.....
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

;)

Petitions to end "insert victim group here" sufferage are also quite illuminating.

who wants to end victim voting rights? Oh wait...now I get it.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

No...you must have deep seated reasons for everything, has this forum not taught you anything?
  • Aaron_K123
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Not saying coke or diet coke is bad and it may not be however I challenge someone to show that it is good for you. Me I am a water drinker and a runner. I am also a keto person now so I guess I will skip the bagels with cheese and just hit the fruit. I know it is still carbs but the fruit carbs seem better for me....we'll see.

Challenge accepted.
    As shown earlier in the thread, soda (regular or diet) hydrates at least as well as water, thus it is very good for you (seeing as how hydration is critical for life).
    From there, there are no known negative affects to offset the health benefits of proper hydration gained by drinking soda.
    Regular soda can be calorie dense and not very filling so may make it more difficult to maintain a proper intake of energy but otherwise has no ingredients which are harmful to your health.
    Diet soda is essentially calorie free and also has no ingredients which are harmful to your health and thus the choice between hydrating with water vs diet coke boils down to preference.

Diet Coke is as good for you as water.

Well, honestly, I don't know that I would agree that water is "good" for you. I think things that are "good" or "bad" cannot be necessary. If something is necessary then it doesn't make sense to layer some sort of moral judgment on top of it. Water isn't "good", it is essential.

I wouldn't say that eating is "good" for you or breathing is "good" for you either. Honestly you can argue that a lot of the damage that occurs to your body is through water and oxidation cleavage reactions it tends to initiate. Things that are necessary for life (read water, oxygen etc) tend to be things that are very chemically reactive and therefore very destructive to matter. You want to preserve something? Just take away the oxygen and water. But sort of tough *kitten* because you require it so not like you have a choice.

...and no, I didn't miss your point it was well made. I just decided to ignore your point and go on a tangent :-)