My C25k Diary (Will Update as I do each session)

Yesterday did session 1 of week 1 of C25k Program (One of my New Year's resolutions).

Must have been a bit more tired than I originally though, as I posted it in the wrong section, now that am recovered am correcting the mistake :smiley:

I chose the program from the UK National Health Service website:

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/couch-to-5k-week-by-week/

After putting on my old Ron Hill Trackmaster leggings, (last time they were worn was in the late 90's) and my brand new trainers (bought in the January sales especially for this occasion) I felt pretty good.

Once out on the road and finally came to my first run session, after 5 seconds I knew I was a undiscovered Olympian, after 10 seconds I knew I was going to die and regretted not being part of the mobile phone owners club, as I could not phone a ambulance.

Then the Laura the program narrator/controller/taskmaster/fiend from hell, finally said "walk". Did not think I could go on. But once Laura said "run" I ran .

Quite pleased that I finished it , once I showered and changed into warm clothing, must admit I felt good and am actually looking forward to the next session.

If you are thinking about, doing the C25k program, based on the first session I would recommend it, I found it well paced, challenging yet achievable.

Will update this after each session, see if I can finish the program.

Next session planned for Friday

Replies

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,376 Member
    Congratulations on starting!
    As a kid, I hated running whenever I had to do it in school. Now I love it - best exercise ever for me! I started running a couple years ago, before I owned a smartphone, just "run 1 min, walk 1 min" while constantly staring at my watch to see if the minute was over yet ^^
    I know a lot of people who had great success with the program, all the best for you :smiley:
  • Styggian
    Styggian Posts: 465 Member
    _nikkiwolf_
    Thanks for your input and support, really appreciated :)
  • DiscoBetty99
    DiscoBetty99 Posts: 3 Member
    Well done!!
    When you look at future runs in the first week you can never imagine being able to get to them but you can and you will.
    I’m about to finish week 5 and find that repeating some runs is benifical to helping build stamina but that’s just me.
    Good luck
  • Styggian
    marielou1311
    Thanks for the feedback, can't wait till i reach week 5 :). I will be really happy if I can run for 30 mins at the end of nine weeks:)
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,650 Member
    Great stuff, well done!
    I highly recommend the programme, it's awesome! Don't be afraid to repeat weeks if you feel you really need to, but also don't let your brain rule.... you will be surprised by what your body can actually do (which is far more than your brain will tell you you can do).
    One piece of advice, which I found particularly helpful, is to slow right down. At first if you think you're going slowly, you need to go even slower so that you can keep running for the time the intervals last. My husband could walk faster than I was running. The important thing now is to build up endurance, there will be plenty of time for speed (if you want speed of course) in the distant future!
  • Styggian
    eleanorhawkins
    Thanks for the tips, will keep them in mind. As I really want to finish the program, am going to adhere to the rest days and keep my speed down. My ultimate goal is to be able to run for 30mins, the 5k I will work towards later.
  • fraukazi
    fraukazi Posts: 614 Member
    Well done on completing week 1!
    I've used the programme several times to get back into running after injury or breaks from running tonto lack of motivation until I felt I could start my normal running again and found it so helpful.
    This year was the first time I completed all 9 weeks and was very happy. Now i:m doing an upgrade 5-10k as I like the structure of having a programme most days.
    Anyway, stick with it and you'll be able to do 30mins soon. I agree, run slower than you think you should. For me, it took running with a heart rate motinor for a summer to find my pace.
  • Styggian
    fraukazi
    Thanks for your input and motivation much appreciated :)
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 676 Member
    My guess is that by the time you finish the program you'll be ready to go even farther (C210K app is out there). I've used the program several times and found it very useful. All of the advice above is wonderful. Only two things I will stress: be sure you have been fitted for the proper running shoes; RUN SLOW. As you get more and more miles under foot your speed will increase quite a bit on its own. I found the faster I tried to run the more likely I was to get injured. I got my wife running and this taught me to run slower.....and several years later I'm still enjoying the slower runs, after all it is just me and H-dog and she doesn't care what speed I go! Have a great time as you work your way through C25K and welcome to the "runners club"!!!
  • Styggian
    dougii
    Thanks for the heads up re C210k, something to aim for next year.

Definately want to be injury free, I would rather go slow and be able to run the next day. than go fast to set a PB and be injured for a month.

Thanks for the motivational message :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited October 2018
    Styggian wrote: »
    dougii
    Thanks for the heads up re C210k, something to aim for next year.

Definately want to be injury free, I would rather go slow and be able to run the next day. than go fast to set a PB and be injured for a month.

Thanks for the motivational message :)

Sounds like you'll be looking for a race in the new year :bigsmile:
  • Styggian
    TavistockToad
    A goal, I would like to be able to run :)
  • Styggian
    apullum
    Great story very inspirational, marathons are not on my 'radar' at the moment :)

Will definitely look at races, once am confident at completing 5k.

Not really, thought about 'fitted' trainers, this maybe something I will look into.

Thanks for your input :)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    apullum
    Great story very inspirational, marathons are not on my 'radar' at the moment :)

Not really, thought about 'fitted' trainers, this maybe something I will look into.

Well, a half and a full marathon are pretty different and I have no desire to do a full :). I kept saying that I would train for a half eventually, until I had run my first 10k and relized there was no reason why “eventually” couldn’t start right then.

You really do need to be professionally fitted for shoes, though. This is important even if you’re new to running. I did not do this, injured my knee almost immediately after completing C25K for the first time, did several months of physical therapy, and did not run again for a year because I was afraid of getting re-injured. Shoes may not be cheap but they are cheaper and more pleasant than medical treatment.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    apullum wrote: »
    apullum

Well, a half and a full marathon are pretty different and I have no desire to do a full :). I kept saying that I would train for a half eventually, until I had run my first 10k and relized there was no reason why “eventually” couldn’t start right then.

You really do need to be professionally fitted for shoes, though. This is important even if you’re new to running. I did not do this, injured my knee almost immediately after completing C25K for the first time, did several months of physical therapy, and did not run again for a year because I was afraid of getting re-injured. Shoes may not be cheap but they are cheaper and more pleasant than medical treatment.

When I started running it was straight to a 10k... and I said I'd never do a half marathon... then I did a half and said I'd never do a full... 5 half marathons later and I'm looking for a marathon next year...

Never say never OP!!! and I second getting good shoes!
  • Styggian
    edited October 2018
    apullum
    Thanks for the advice, as with all things in life, I have to make compromises, I would love 'professionally fitted', (am imagining a team of scientists measuring my feet and analysing my running technique, then running the data through some complicated computer app, to select the correct running shoe for me).

However the shoes am using, I bought in the January sales specifically to do the C25k (yes it's took me this long to start). I informed the sales person what I was going to do, told him my budget, out of the three pair of trainer these were the one that felt most comfortable.

The make is Slazenger Model Slaz Jogger Snr82, no idea how they compare with other makes, it's been a long time since I bought running shoes.

But if I get the budget to get 'pro gear' consider it done :)
  • Styggian
    TavistockToad
    Would love to be able to complete 10k or above:)

My biggest fear is getting an injury, so am going to pace myself and follow the C25k program, I noticed on my walks, if I tried to run my footfall seemed heavy (was wearing boots) so this worried me as I did not want impact injuries.

The running shoes (Slazenger, Model: Slaz Jogger Snr82), I bought in January, in order to do the C25k program in warmer weather, once the summer came I had a cycle accident, that took three months to recover, hence the late start.

Not sure if the shoes are considered good, but they are better than my boots and so far not got any injuries :)

As I get more fitter and more knowledgeable about running and my equipment needs, will make the necessary changes.

Thanks for your input it's appreciated :)