My C25k Diary (Will Update as I do each session)

Options

Replies

• Styggian
    Styggian Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Session 1 Week 5 done.

Week 5, the difficulty has been stepped up and the format of the sessions has changed, instead of repeating a run 3 times during the week, each run is different.

This morning's session consisted of:
    5min warm up walk,
    5min jog,
    3min walk,
    5min jog,
    3min walk,
    5min jog,
    5min warm down walk.

Getting changed into my running gear, made me feel quite 'sporty' looked forward to starting the session.

Kept the pace purposely slow, still had a slight ache in my left knee and right groin area, not causing me any pain but serving as a memory aid, not to go stupid and speed up.

Was never in any distress, actually enjoyed the session listening to the music, the only conscious thought I had was "Don't speed up".

Once done, I got home and still had some energy left to get changed and go for a bike ride.

Definite improvement from the start of the prgram, not sure how I would do in some kind of competition scenario, but as I said before my main aim is to be able to run for 30 mins, once I achieve that, my next goal will be to run 5k within the 30 mins.

Next session on Monday.

• HaleCry
    HaleCry Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I remember that run and how much I was dreading it. But if you slow down as much as you can and don’t think about it youbreally CAN do it! It’s a mind game. Amazing job for your progress though!
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Styggian wrote: »

A lot of this seems to be mental attitude, the great Terry Pratchett, in his Discworld novels had a character called Granny Weatherwax who explained it as 'headology', in the real world I suppose psychology would be the appropriate word, I prefer headology as the phenomena seems surreal.

I endeavour to live by her codes! :D (random but am Discworld geek so yay!)

• Styggian
    Options
    @HaleCry
    Think if I CAN do the next session (1 x 20min jog), 30 mins will be achievable in the time frame. i want to get past that barrier.

Thanks for the motivational support :)
  • Styggian
    Options
    @beerfoamy
    I thought all the books were amazing, going to have to re read them again. Great to meet a fellow Discworld fan.

My intoduction to the Discworld was Guards! Guards! So my favourite character is Samuel Vimes :)
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    @beerfoamy
    I thought all the books were amazing, going to have to re read them again. Great to meet a fellow Discworld fan.

My intoduction to the Discworld was Guards! Guards! So my favourite character is Samuel Vimes :)

My fave is Granny. My first book was Mort so I love Death as well hehe
    Currently reading Going Postal and yes re-read them all on a regular basis 😁😁
  • Styggian
    Options
    @beerfoamy
    So many great characters, must re-read them. Thanks for the memory :)
  • Styggian
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Session 3 Week 5 done.

Woke up tired, saw my running kit on the floor and remembered that I had to do 20 mins non stop jogging.

Mentally was not really prepared for this, so crawled out of the house.

Did the brisk 5min warm up walk and the 20 min jog session started, all went well till about the 17 min point,

I stepped onto some glass, tried to kick/scrape it off my trainer sole while maintaining my jogging pace, it was in too deep, so stopped running and tried quickly to pull it out but the glass kept slipping out of my fingers.

Saw the high pavement, tried the kick/scrape manoeuvre again on the edge of the pavement curb, it worked :)

Started to run again, so with the 20 / 30 second 'pit stop', the thought in my head was "do I count this as a successful session?" Laura congratulated me for completing 20 mins.

Took that as a sign from the Universe and marked it as a pass.

As I was still far from home and feeling guilty for 'cheating', So I decided to continue running for the '5min warm down walk'. After this extra 5 min of running, I was still some distance from home, so walked for about 6mins as a 'warm down' and arrived at my front door.

Felt good about the session. My left knee ached, but noticed after 10 mins of jogging the pain disappeared.

While taking off my running gear noticed there was blood all over my running top, glancing in the mirror I saw blood on my face.

I looked like a drunken vampire who just had participated in some kind of messy blood orgy. Then noticed my finger was bleeding.

If it was a official race, I think the 'pit stop' would have been marked as a fail and I would have to repeat the session, but am confident I can do the Session 1 of Week 6, which consists of x2 5min jogging stages and one of 8mins.

So next session is on Friday.

What about photos? you ask.

The damage to my trainer after pulling out the glass:
    2c7zdy3wm9n8.png

And for the more blood thirsty among you :smiley::smile:

Finger cut = http://prntscr.com/ll0dju

Blood stained running jacket = http://prntscr.com/ll0e1f

• AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Omg that's a lot of blood on your jacket! I'm glad you're alright and did so well with your run. I'd say you more than made up for your pit stop so you should be very proud! Awesome job!
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    It definitely counts! Making great progress! I remember getting to that point in C25K and thinking, "There is no way I am ready for this!" and being shocked when I actually did it. Keep it up.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    So one suggestion for you is as you get into the last weeks - which have a lot more running, you should add an additional ap tracker like map my run. I did not start using that until I complete the C25K and I really wish I had because it would have given me a lot more data as far as pace and distance. A pain of course to have to use 2 trackers but the Map My Run is something which you can use (or app of your choice) for the rest of your running career.

So although I started C25K in June 2017, I never really started keeping a good log of my actual miles until Aug 2017. Also, you want to keep an eye on how much mileage you put on your (now cut) trainers. I have found that even tho my shoes LOOK good after about 150 miles I tend to start to have various aches and pains which when I switch shoes mysteriously just go poof. Esp shin splint type aches.

Glass really is insidious. You never feel the pain immediately. :(
  • Styggian
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @AmyC2288
    Thanks for the positve feedback, very helpful :smiley:
  • Styggian
    Options
    @martaindale
    Congratulations for doing C25k and thanks for the motivation, I so want to be in the 5k club :smiley:
  • Styggian
    Options
    @SummerSkier
    Congratulations on progressing so far, not sure I will get to your level.

Thanks for the tips, won't be able to act on them right away, I start a job on Monday am hoping it will lead to something more permanent and finally join the mobile phone owner's club :smiley:

Did plan to buy another pair of running shoes in the January Sales, just came to realise how important shoes are when I started this post.

I consider myself very lucky, firstly the glass did not fully penetrate the shoe, so my foot did not get injured, secondly, blindly pulling at the glass could have resulted in a serious cut, I was so focused on the running that my actions were all automatic, brain totally dis-engaged from the danger of the situation. I live to tell the tale and run another C25k session :smiley:

• Styggian
    Options
    Session 1 Week 6 done.

Today's session consisted of:

5min warm up walk,
    5min jog,
    3min walk,
    8min jog,
    3min walk,
    5min jog,
    5min warm down walk.

After the excitement & drama of the last session, this outing was fairly unremarkable.

Still had a ache in my left knee, it did not hamper me just giving me a gentle reminder to go at a steady pace.

Got into the rhythm of jogging quite quickly. I seem to be turnning into a crusty old running veteran, kept my pace very steady, my breathing was not laboured, just did the session.

Running for 30mins seems very do-able. I suspect I could run for 30 mins now, however would need a week to recover. Therefore will stay 'on track', build my stamina, so when I finally run for 30 mins, I can start on the 5k park runs :)

Next session on Sunday
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Session 1 Week 6 done.

Today's session consisted of:

5min warm up walk,
    5min jog,
    3min walk,
    8min jog,
    3min walk,
    5min jog,
    5min warm down walk.

After the excitement & drama of the last session, this outing was fairly unremarkable.

Still had a ache in my left knee, it did not hamper me just giving me a gentle reminder to go at a steady pace.

Got into the rhythm of jogging quite quickly. I seem to be turnning into a crusty old running veteran, kept my pace very steady, my breathing was not laboured, just did the session.

Running for 30mins seems very do-able. I suspect I could run for 30 mins now, however would need a week to recover. Therefore will stay 'on track', build my stamina, so when I finally run for 30 mins, I can start on the 5k park runs :)

Next session on Sunday

you don't need to be able to run a 5k in 30 minutes to do parkrun you know...
  • Styggian
    Options
    @TavistockToad
    My ultimate goal is to run 5k sub 30mins. So am working towards achieving that.

Thanks for the input :smiley:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    @TavistockToad
    My ultimate goal is to run 5k sub 30mins. So am working towards achieving that.

Thanks for the input :smiley:

that's fair enough, its plenty of people's goal when they start running, i just don't see why you'd need to wait, if you want to do parkrun?
  • Styggian
    Options
    @TavistockToad
    When I started I could not actually run/jog, tried it in my walking gear, could only go a few steps and my foot fall seemed to land 'heavy', I was worried about impact injuries, so rather than run for 10 meters non stop and injure myself, I carried on with the walking sessions.

The daily walking eventually lead me to cycling, however I don't like cycling in the rain/Winter and needed another fitness activity to replace cycling during inclement weather. I learned of the C25k program, to try it 'when am fitter'. So here I am training to run for 30mins non stop, once I have done that will go to the park runs then see about doing a organized 5k race when am confident.

In my far radar of goal setting I want to be fit & strong enough do some indoor wall climbing, yes I could do it now but one, am not confident enough yet and two, I don't want to waste whatever the entrance fee is for 5mins of climbing want to get my monies worth :wink: