My C25k Diary (Will Update as I do each session)

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    AmyC2288 wrote: »
    Bookmarked this to follow your progress. Have been wanting to start this program for a long time- but feel like I need to get closer to my goal weight before doing so. Currently down 32 lbs with 15 left so not too far! Thanks for sharing your journey!

why do you think that?
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Bookmarked this to follow your progress. Have been wanting to start this program for a long time- but feel like I need to get closer to my goal weight before doing so. Currently down 32 lbs with 15 left so not too far! Thanks for sharing your journey!

why do you think that?

Well- I have tried a couple times on the treadmill at a very slow pace to switch between jogging and walking and it's kind of hard to describe but I feel like the transition between walking and jogging is VERY jolting to my body- more so than I feel that it should be. Like my steps are coming down harder and heavier than they should be? It's hard to describe but I guess I feel like when there is literally less weight to carry it will make for a lighter and less jarring feeling?

Maybe I just never learned how to run correctly :sweat_smile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

why do you think that?

Well- I have tried a couple times on the treadmill at a very slow pace to switch between jogging and walking and it's kind of hard to describe but I feel like the transition between walking and jogging is VERY jolting to my body- more so than I feel that it should be. Like my steps are coming down harder and heavier than they should be? It's hard to describe but I guess I feel like when there is literally less weight to carry it will make for a lighter and less jarring feeling?

Maybe I just never learned how to run correctly :sweat_smile:

if you had 100lbs to lose then i would tend to agree, but 15lbs isn't going to make much of a difference i don't think.

good shoes and a decent sports bra are my recomendations! :laugh:
  • AmyC2288
    Options
    Touche' ... My tennis shoes are fairly new but probably not the ideal shoe for running. Guess I never considered that would make that big of a difference especially when not trying to do any serious running. Also- a good point about the sports bra- the ones I use now could afford to be a little more heavy duty lol. Thanks for the tips- maybe I'll give it a go soon and start my own thread. :smile:
  • Styggian
    Styggian Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    bigbandjohn

Thanks for the motivation, much appreciated.
  • Styggian
    Options
    AmyC2288

Took me a while to get started, It was one of my New Year resolutions, had it 'pencilled in', to start in the warm weather of June, but had a accident on my cycle, which took over three months to recover, hence my late start.

So far I have found the program challenging (especially first & second session) but achievable. My personal tips are:

Don't worry about speed, just aim to complete each jog session.

Get some comfortable running trainers and if your budget can afford it, leggings and a shower proof top. I found with the right gear did not mind running in the rain.

Due to the cold weather, I suffered a mild cramp pain on my early jog sessions, fortunately I had some deep heat type cream.

I don't own a mobile so I have to listen to the podcast on a tablet which I hold in a home made carrier, not ideal but will have to do for now.

Congratulations on losing 32lbs am sure you will reach your goal soon.

Thank you for your feedback, will keep this updated after each session, hope it helps you on your C25k journey :)
  • AmyC2288
    Options
    @Styggian thank you so much for the wonderful tips. I think you may have convinced me to try it out. If I don't love it, then I can check it off of my things I've always wanted to try. :smiley:
  • Styggian
    Options
    AmyC2288

"Slow and steady wins the race" Good luck
  • Styggian
    Options
    Session 3, Week 3 done.

As per the last two sessions, seemed to be over quite quickly.

Kept the pace really slow, just wanted to focus on completing the jogging sessions.

The cramp type pain in my right leg is gone, but the pain in my left knee when transitioning from walking to jogging still appears for a few paces.

Felt quite comfortable, during the session, my calf's began to tire but not to the point where I thought about stopping

Looking at the next session there is a extra 6.5mins of jogging and one of the runs is 5mins long. I really want to try it, but still, 30mins of jogging seem a long way off.

Going to take my own advice and go slow and steady. Next session on Sunday :)
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Well done

Trust the programme. It seems to jump up a lot at times but you can do it.
  • Styggian
    Options
    @Runaroundafieldx2

Thanks for motivation, much appreciated :)
  • Styggian
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Session 1 Week 4 done

Woke up tired, first time I did not feel like doing the program, which coincided with the program stepping up the jogging time and shortening the recovery walks.

The session consisted of:
    - 5min warm up walk
    - 3min jog
    - 90sec walk
    - 5min jog
    - 2 ½min walk
    - 3min jog
    - 90sec walk
    - 5min jog
    - 5min warm down walk

Had problems with the first 5min jog my calf & lower thighs were aching, really thought I was not going to last but somehow I kept going, am sure a spring fell out of my left knee during this jogging session :) was so happy to finish that I forgot that I had another 5min jog to do.

Surprisingly the second 5min jog was not as bad. However after completing this session definitely felt tired. Just had a peek at week 5 and that looks challenging, if I fail it, will repeat week 4 till my stamina builds up.

But lets see how I do on the next two session, before putting 'plan B' into action :)

Next session is on Tuesday, hoping to do better.
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You did it!

Focus on that. Well done
  • Styggian
    Options
    @Runaroundafieldx2

Thanks, as I said before, the program is challenging but achievable, but this time I got right up to the 'line' of achievable :)

Again thanks for the motivation :)
  • Styggian
    Options
    Session 2 Week 4 done.

I was quite nervous about doing this session, as I knew the 2nd run was going to be 5mins long and last session I struggled during this phase.

This time it went better, though not easy, my calf's did not ache as much. Also my left knee was not as painful when transitioning from walking to jogging. I did notice the music had a nice 'beat', a definite sign that I was not in as much distress as the last session.

The weird thing I got a dull ache in the of of my right leg near the groin area, seems that my legs are having some sort of competition for attention, wonder if they are reading this post?

With that being said am very happy on the way this session went, I kept my pace slow suppressing my urge to go faster and keep up with the music. 5k still seems a long way off but has got nearer, am happy :smiley:
  • AmyC2288
    Options
    Sounds like great progress! Good work! :)
  • laceduplady
    laceduplady Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great progress! We're at the same stage too (my week 4 run 3 is tomorrow). I'll most likely repeat at least one more day of week 4 though, judging by yesterday's performance. Week 5 looks like it'll get progressively more awful lol. Good luck!
  • Styggian
    Options
    @AmyC2288

Thanks, am definitely happier with this session, than the first.

Also thanks for morale boost :smiley:
  • Styggian
    Options
    @laceduplady

You have done great to get this far, got to admit Week 5 looks daunting especially Session 3.

My 'plan B' if I fail Week 5, is just to repeat Week 4, till my stamina builds up, at this stage am not worried about speed, the goal is to be able to run 5k then participate in local 5k Park Runs and when am confident, do a 5k race :smiley:

You should, write your own post, it's a great motivation tool and good source of information / tips.

If you do let me know, I will follow your progress :smiley: