My C25k Diary (Will Update as I do each session)

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Styggian wrote: »
    TavistockToad
    Would love to be able to complete 10k or above:)

My biggest fear is getting an injury, so am going to pace myself and follow the C25k program, I noticed on my walks, if I tried to run my footfall seemed heavy (was wearing boots) so this worried me as I did not want impact injuries.

what other exercise do you do other than c25k?

if you're concerned about injury then the best thing you can do is strength train and cross train. i learnt this the hard way!
  • Styggian
    Styggian Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    @TavistockToad

Walking & cycling are my main forms exercises, I do a bit of strength training, but it's my weakest activity mainly because I find it boring and tedious but I have progressed, at the start of the year I could not do a press up or a sit up now my personal best is 29 & 32.

My ultimate aim is to join a a indoor wall climbing club, but at the moment am still not strong enough to do much climbing.

Just to give you some perspective this my my post in the Success Stories forum: https://tinyurl.com/yc8x5opd

This was the start of my 'maintenance' post Dec 2017 shows all the weight equipment I use: https://tinyurl.com/y73ldtzw

So progress has been made albeit, slowly.

I have heard the term 'cross train' but I suspect it will be a bit too advanced for me at the moment.

Thanks for the info :)

• TavistockToad
    Options
    @TavistockToad

Walking & cycling are my main forms exercises, I do a bit of strength training, but it's my weakest activity mainly because I find it boring and tedious but I have progressed, at the start of the year I could not do a press up or a sit up now my personal best is 29 & 32.

My ultimate aim is to join a a indoor wall climbing club, but at the moment am still not strong enough to do much climbing.

Just to give you some perspective this my my post in the Success Stories forum: https://tinyurl.com/yc8x5opd

This was the start of my 'maintenance' post Dec 2017 shows all the weight equipment I use: https://tinyurl.com/y73ldtzw

So progress has been made albeit, slowly.

I have heard the term 'cross train' but I suspect it will be a bit too advanced for me at the moment.

Thanks for the info :)

Cross training is cardio other than running, so you already do that - that's not so 'advanced' now is it?

a full body strength training programme a couple of times a week would go a long way to help keep you injury free.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    If you want to join a climbing club, don't wait! The best way to get better at climbing is climbing :wink:

I go to an indoor bouldering gym about once per week - not a club with organised training, just together with a couple of friends. And while there are some overhanging routes where lack of strength is what keeps me from completing them, the main reason I fail on difficult routes is usually technique or balance. Both of which improve by climbing more. Strong arm and core muscles don't hurt, that's for sure, but every climbing gym I've been to so far also has routes suitable for beginners.

e.t.a: one of the climbing gyms I go to has 9 difficulty levels (pink, yellow, green, teal, blue, red, black, white, purple), the other 6 (yellow, green, blue, red, black, white). When I started climbing the yellow ones where a challenge, while after a year of 3~4 evenings per month I now do the teal ones at gym 1 / "green-blue" and some blue at gym 2. And I have a rotten sense of balance (some inner-ear thing), and didn't do any classes with a trainer, so I think my progress is probably much slower than most people would make. But what progress I made is all technique and balance. Maybe a tiny bit of strength, but I still cannot do a single pull-up. So I don't think you should wait to join the club until you can bench-press a car :wink:
  • Styggian
    Options
    @TavistockToad
    I cross train already :) sweet

Definitely need to do more strength and remain injury free :) Got to discipline myself to do more strength work,
    watch this space :)

Again thanks for your input.
  • Styggian
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_
    GZ on doing climbing/bouldering, it's something am working towards.

The reason I don't do it right now, is I don't think I would have the stamina to do a very long session, my intention is to go on the easiest climb and repeat it till I 'run out of steam'.

This is something I got 'penciled' in for the New Year, I have been doing some exploring while walking & cycling looking for stuff to climb, so am sure I will eventually get to the indoor climbing wall. Will be a while before I get to your level :)

For now am going to focus on the C25k program.

Thanks for the info, appreciated :)
  • sammiw38
    sammiw38 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I really hate it when she says "run" but I'm always pleasantly surprised to find I've reached the end without dying.
  • Styggian
    Options
    @sammiw38
    I know, I know, slightly addictive :)
  • Styggian
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Session 1 of Week 2, done :D

First run was traumatic really felt the extra 30 seconds drain me, so paced myself better for the rest of the program, the fourth, I was surprised how fast it ended, I has somehow gotten into a rhythm and was mildly shocked when told to walk.

Hope this happens to me on the longer runs, next session on Thursday, actually looking forward to it.
  • Stephanie100916
    Stephanie100916 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yay! I tried this program with a friend a couple of years ago and we got stuck on week 4 or 5. People said it was because we only did cardio and we wouldn’t have gotten stuck if we did weights too. Just a suggestion! :) what I loved about it is that it told me what to do and when. I’ve found that I need a schedule when I work out otherwise I hate going. It’s easier when I have a certain number of things to do or a certain time frame.
  • Styggian
    Options
    @Stephanie100916
    Thanks for the 'heads up' re weights, it is in my exercise activity, but should do it more regular (am working on it ). Week four seems so far away :)

Agree with you regarding the pre-programmed routine, another of my weaknesses, I don't like having 'rest' days, in case I get out of the habit, so I tend to go till I run out of steam.

Following the format of this program, it seems easier to discipline myself to a routine, I find listening to the podcast instructions is very helpful too. My first time exercising in this way.

Sounds like you have a routine all sorted, it's on my to do list, again thanks for the tip :)
  • BeckyBeebs
    BeckyBeebs Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Great job getting started and love your sense of humor! I'm on W3 (of a different version). I've done it once before (then fell off the wagon for a while), and for some reason, the jump from W4 (5 min) to W5 (8 min) was killer for me. Had to repeat W4 3x before I could move on, but suspect it was as much a mental block as physical. Keep at it - you'll love the feeling of accomplishment in just a few more weeks. Plus you'll be looking at your quads and hammies everytime you pass a window - but maybe that's just me :)

Definitely get good shoes for your foot and gait style!! Spare yourself the pain and fatigue that comes with worn out - that's how I know it's time to replace mine.
  • Styggian
    Options
    BeckyBeebs

Thanks :smiley: Repeating a week to build stamina seems to be a good tactic, will definitely use it if needed.

Week four, seems so far away, can't wait to be able to run for 30 mins, then can add to my fitness routine, then work on 5k, if I can't get that far in the 30 mins.

Looking forward to doing my first organized 5k run

A lot of people have mentioned foot ware, I got new trainers, they felt comfortable in the shop, that all the science I did in selecting them :)

Looking forward to getting to week 4, feel like a kid at Christmas

Thanks for you input much appreciated.
  • HaleCry
    HaleCry Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Amazing job! I loved c25k! I couldn’t run the full 60 seconds to begin with, but now I run 30 minutes non stop 5x a week (used to run 40 3x a week). I’m extremely slow and don’t run 5K but I’ll gradually increase my speed when I’m ready. It’s not a race, right? Congrats on your progress! Trust the plan, you can do it!
  • Styggian
    Options
    HaleCry

That sounds great, you are at my goal point. I so want to be able to run for 30 mins :)

Definitely sticking to the plan, as I want to reach the end.

Thanks for the motivation and congratulations for your success, am so jealous :smiley:

• TavistockToad
    Options
    are you stretching after you run?
  • Styggian
    edited November 2018
    Options
    TavistockToad
    No, stretching a bit before, something else I should 'routinize', this may take some time to get sorted, like my strength training.

Suspect the main problem I was a bit too fast on my first run.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    TavistockToad
    No, stretching a bit before, something else I should 'routinize', this may take some time to get sorted, like my strength training.

Suspect the main problem I was a bit too fast on my first run.

i wouldn't worry about stretching before, but definitely take the 5-10 minutes to stretch afterwards.
  • Styggian
    Options
    TavistockToad

Will have to to start a stretching routine, thanks for your input.