My C25k Diary (Will Update as I do each session)

Options

Replies

• Styggian
    Styggian Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Session 3 Week 2 done.

Did a bit of stretching at start to ease the cramp pain in my right leg, but certain moves seemed to irritate it, so I avoided that area.

My left knee started to ache, obviously jealous of the attention the right leg was getting.

Time to get out of the door and listen to Laura.

First two runs, my right leg was reminding me of my injury, on the third run the pain disappeared, but I kept the pace slow.

The slow pace kept everything manageable, I enjoyed the session looking forward to the next one on Monday :)

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Great work on completing week 2!! :+1:

A lot of people swear on foam rollers for any kind of tightness. I can't stand the things, but it seems every other runner I talk to adores them, maybe they would help with your leg aches.

I think today the agreed-upon exercise wisdom is to avoid staticstretches before the muscles are warmed up, and to save them for after the workout.
    Stretching after a run is much easier for me if I follow a pre-set routine. Otherwise I'm likely to cut it short. Currently I do this youtube video most of the time:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mwfgIvXTMo

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    e.t.a: here's a warmup alternative to stretching before a run. Looking for this video just reminded me I don't do it as often as I should...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJo7_MiRLkU
  • Styggian
    Options
    _nikkiwolf_

Thanks, am pleased to have made it through to week 2 :)

The foam rollers, look like my paint rollers, they don't strike me as useful. If you see any photos of me with white painted legs, you know I got curious and tested the foam rollers :)

In one way am lucky when walking or cycling, the injury gives no pain.

The pain occurs when I run on extending my stride, so will continue applying heat balm and using short strides to run.

The first stretching video, is eye watering for me to watch, the second one, is more do-able but at the moment am refraining from stretching that particular muscle, so I don't irritate it.

Again thanks for your input, much appreciated.

• Styggian
    Options
    Session 1, Week 3. done

Wow this session went really fast, actually thought that somehow the podcast had skipped onto fast-forward mode.

Though my injury did not hurt, it just reminded me not to stretch my stride, so I paced myself to finish the session in one piece.

The session consisted of:
    - 5min warm up
    - 90sec Jog, 90sec Walk
    - 3min Jog, 3min Walk
    - 90sec Jog, 90sec Walk
    - 3min Jog
    - 5min warm down

Pacing seems to be the key, the injury is having a positive effect of making me go careful :)

Next session on Wednesday.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You're definitely a proper runner, ignoring an injury :laugh:
  • Styggian
    Options
    TavistockToad
    Thanks, not sure if three minutes of jogging makes me a runner :wink:

So far am pleased with my progress, could have done without the injury, but I can still hobble along :smiley:

Thanks for your input.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Styggian wrote: »
    TavistockToad
    Thanks, not sure if three minutes of jogging makes me a runner :wink:

So far am pleased with my progress, could have done without the injury, but I can still hobble along :smiley:

Thanks for your input.

Until you can't! That's all I'm saying!

I've run though plenty of injuries and learnt the hard way, like we all do :laugh:
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Book marking the thread.

I loved couch to 5k. It literally changed my life.

Enjoy Wednesdays run.
  • LAM2011
    LAM2011 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Well done, I just completed week 1 session 2 this morning so this post has inspired me. Thank you
  • Styggian
    Options
    Runaroundafieldx2

Thanks for the motivational message, will give it my best effort :smiley:
  • Styggian
    Options
    TavistockToad

Thanks, bought another tube of 'deep heat' type massaging oitment, should keep me mobile for a few more weeks :)
  • Styggian
    Options
    LAM2011

Great news and congratulations.

All the above tips are good, my personal tip is is keep a very steady pace, even if you get a surge of energy and you know you can beat The Flash on his best day, resist the temptation to 'fire' on all 19 cylinders.

'Slow and steady till the end' is my new motto :)

Thank you, for your input
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Styggian wrote: »
    TavistockToad

Thanks, bought another tube of 'deep heat' type massaging oitment, should keep me mobile for a few more weeks :)

then you have completely missed the point of my post, but ok.
  • Styggian
    Options
    TavistockToad

Oooops sorry, my 'speed reading' needs an update :smiley:
  • Styggian
    Options
    Session 2, Week 3 done.

Again I thought the session was too short compared to the others. Kept my pace very slow, the cramp type ache is nearly gone.

Overall, I would say it was a good session, the only negatives were:
    -I dropped my tablet at the start.
    -When I switched from walking to jogging I got a pain in my left knee, for a few steps.

Next session Friday :)

• Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You carry a tablet whilst you're running?

I struggle to carry a gel if I'm doing over 1,5hrs.

I often get a niggle for a minute or so at the start. As long as it doesn't persist I don't let it bother me.

Well done, enjoy Friday!
  • Styggian
    Options
    Runaroundafieldx2

Yes, I carry a tablet, I don't belong to the mobile phone owners club yet :) However it's quite small, Lenovo TAB3 7 Essential Blue, with a newly gained 'drop blemish'.

Am at an age where I have lots of 'niggles' and every time I get a new one my first question is "Wonder if this is permanent?" Am really glad when the pain goes :)

Surprisingly, I think I will enjoy Friday. Thanks for your feedback.
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Awesome plan. Keep letting us know how it goes.
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Bookmarked this to follow your progress. Have been wanting to start this program for a long time- but feel like I need to get closer to my goal weight before doing so. Currently down 32 lbs with 15 left so not too far! Thanks for sharing your journey!