WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2018

Replies

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,553 Member
    Well got the call back from anesthesia nurse they are cancelling my colonoscopy as my GFR is to low and worried about the prep on my kidneys ..so will have to see my nephrologist first before I can reschedule. Well I have an appointment with her in 2 weeks..

I am sorry, Allie. Have you had kidney issues before?

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,637 Member
    Felicia~I have Poly Cystic Kidney Disease .. hereditary ( thanks mom) stage 3 as of now... and I guess they are worried about what kind of prep they gave me and what it would do to my kidneys so will have to wait and see what my nephrologist has to say..
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Allie - On the bright side, you can eat breakfast now :)

Okie
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited November 2018
    Allie: I had a colonoscopy years ago. It was a long way from home, and the prep was a nasty ordeal. Since then, DH & I have “at home kits” that we return to the lab. The colonoscopy is once every several years, but the home kit is every year. Listen to your nephrologist and take their advice. :star:

Happy November, everyone! We had no trick or treaters, which wasn’t a surprise. Unfortunately, we have 8 individually wrapped Reece’s Peanutbutter Cups sitting in our entry way to tempt me. I doubt I’ll be able to hold out very long. :embarrassed:

October 2018 Resolutions: (with comments)

1. Log every bite and swallow. Done
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on strength and stamina. Done
    3. Have fun every day. Most days--done
    4. Drink at least 3 glasses of water a day. Done
    5. Monitor sleep. Average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly. Done
    6. Avoid alcohol. Didn’t quite manage to avoid this completely. >:) Next month will be better.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

November 2018 Resolutions (These will look familiar.)

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on strength and stamina.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least 3 glasses of water a day.
    5. Monitor sleep. Average 7 or more hours nightly.
    6. Avoid alcohol.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,938 Member
    Welcome, Jo.

Hugs to Beth and Sue. I, too, add my words of admiration for your strength and perseverance in the face of devastating news regarding the health of your loved ones.

Allie, was yours the high-dollar colonoscopy prep? If so, are you just out that money?

Michele, you did a great job on the parrot. So bright and cheerful.

Carol and Elizabeth, I’m waiting until voting day to cast my ballot. I’m still wrestling with how to vote on some of the constitutional amendments. We never have to wait in line on Voting Day since so many go early.

New month and new resolutions. I may well need the boot!

K

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,721 Member
    edited November 2018
    Allie ... sorry you're having problems with your kidneys ...I'm wondering though how the colon prep could harm them ... our bodies are complicated things ... that's for certain.

I forgot October November goals ...

I did lose weight this past month ... 6 pounds!! Woohoo! Now to keep them off as I think I've lost and refound these 6 pounds several times this year.

So November goals are to at least maintain the loss and perhaps lose 3-4 more. That would be a huge success with Thanksgiving in the picture! To do that I will weigh and track my food and I will get back to drinking more water.

Beth
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,637 Member
    well what i was told is they are worried about what the prep would do to my kidney function...so until i see kidney dr which is 2 weeks away then I will just have to wait...
    they gave me one from the GI office so luckly it didnt cost me anything...
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,685 Member
    Kim - Love your scarecrow costume

Beth- Your strength and grace is to be commended

Michele - Love the parrot, you have an eye for painting your ceramics

Lisa - So happy for you that you are having a good day

Peanut Butter Cups - If I'm going to eat chocolate that is what I go for.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,463 Member
    Barbie, thank you for your wisdom and starting us off right yet again!

October results:
    walk one more step 74%, 60 g protein=71% rx/vits=58% meditate 42% , knee exercises=42% core=13% walk Tumble=19% SWSY 0/8, hang up or purge art 0/0, AF 77%

November goals, improve those percentages. Updating spreadsheet saw how percentages have been declining. Only bright light is average steps are up from July.

Daily: walk one more step, 60 g protein, meditate, knee exercises, 10 minutes training Tumble.
    Twice weekly: core, SWSY upper, SWSY lower
    Weekly: hang or purge 1 piece of art
    Bonus: AF day

Kim cutest scarecrow ever!
    NYKaren "will make me feel good in the long run" That's the idea! Even in the short run. When I binge on sugar I end up feeling like doo doo. Now to remember that when I'm reaching for the sweets :mrgreen:
    Lisa "Optimistic, able, energetic" That is SO you. Brava!
    Machka Line dancing always makes me feel better. Watching Tumble wriggle on something nasty at the beach makes me laugh. I'm in awe of your accomplishments and delighted to hear you're finally taking care of your own deferred medical maintenance.
    E in GA love the "what I weigh next Thursday will be..." goal.
    Heather, "found my underwear" now there's an image :smirk:
    Lanette "next best thing is candy, chips and ice cream" yah, that's what my mouth says to me. :noway:
    Okie love your "bright side" attitude.
    Allie in addition to being able to eat breakfast, you can enjoy today away from the toilet...
    Welcome Jo in IL, Great accomplishment and balance of 2018 goals. Brava!
    Katla congrats on your October successes, very well Done!

Printer (devil's spawn) won't print. Says 'cuz it's out of black ink, BUT it has plenty of "photo" black and all 3 colors. Pfaugh! Off to Bi-mart to see if they have plain black cartridges, if not, it's (gulp) Freddies.
    No time to order from Epson, want to print out the monster TJ's list for my T'ai Chi friend. She's going to shop for me in Eugene, saving me a Medford trip. I'll return the favor in December when I go to Medford for semi annual skin screen appt.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    60 g protein 0/31, rx/vits 0/31, meditate 0/31, walk one more step 0/31, knee exercises 0/31, walk Tumble 0/31, core 0/8, SWSY UP 0/8, SWSY LOW 0/8, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 0/31.
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Well, if any of you wish to send my Navy son a treats box over the holidays, private message me, and I can give you his ships address 👍. Just a serving or two, as space is at a premium on his ship. 💗. Thanks ladies. First Christmas by himself in a foreign lanf, I'm just worried about him.💗
    Rebecca
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    :)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited November 2018
    Barbie Thanks for the November thread. I hope you get your tooth taken care of without too much misery.

Kim Such a cute Scarecrow costume. You're adorable.

Snowflake Cutie Pies!

Kelly Can't wait to see your photos!

Heather Idyllic. So happy for you.

NYKAREN Kids probably shouldn't have school the day after Halloween.

Barbara Devil's spawn, LOL!

Beth You are a fierce mother tigress. A heroine in my book.

Concerning Halloween Candy Willie Geist says Reese's are the best, followed by Twix, Snickers, KitKats & Peanut M&Ms. I love Butterfingers more than Reese's. We don't have any Butterfingers in our house. I did eat one of the Almond Joys, though. I take leftover candy to work where the young adults with high metabolic rates make short work of it.

(((Hugs))) to Beth, Allie, Sue, Rebecca, & anyone else who needs one.

Grandson and Granddaughter costumes (the dinosaur is my grandson):
    6wjfyz1y8gly.jpg
    2uxofs9xozds.jpg
    3z6mr8v6y9n4.jpg
    jrthj8pazen2.jpg
    gzf0s0vg2od3.jpg

We have been working on our deck for an hour or so at a time over the last few weeks & finally have most of it power-sprayed & sealed. There are some outer areas we will have to use ladders for if we decide to tackle them. The most important surfaces are sealed. No more slippery or green surfaces. It's very pretty & much safer.

My word for this year was pluck. I have exhibited pluck in cutting back on my work schedule and becoming a Learning Coach for my grandson. It took pluck to make my concerns about my grandson known to my daughter-in-law & son. Earlier this year it took pluck to get some financial/tax issues resolved (and in my favor, I might add.) On the other hand, I have not been as plucky with my plans to increase the intensity & variety of exercising. And of late, I have been less diligent about food choices.

Karen in Virginia
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,056 Member
    Barbie: Thank you for getting us started again. I do hope you can get your tooth issues resolved with minimum stress.

Kim: Adorable costume. You nailed it.

Okie
    : I LOVE your DH's Uncle Eddie. It's my favorite holiday movie. The glass with antlers really makes it.

Lisa: We leave on Sunday morning. I'm counting the hours to our first beach walk.

Machka: Count me in as another one having too much fun enjoying life. I am still in my first year of retirement with a pension, so I am just plain giddy each day that I have time in front of me with nobody dictating what I have to do. My idea of fun includes:
    > Working out to my salsa-merengue playlist. It's happy, party music, and when it's blasting in my ears, the treadmill and rowing machine are fun.
    > Home improvements from conception, completion and celebration.
    > Walking the cat, just because it gets me outside, and he has a way of eliciting delightful reactions from people we meet, which flows back to me.
    > Travel: planning, preparing and doing it. Even with the limitations dictated by DH's dementia, I love everything from one day road trips in our Subaru to longer, more exotic locales requiring a passport. I'm happy observing how other people live.

I'm so, so blessed. I live a simple, relatively pain-free life

Jo: Welcome. You are doing great. We are never bored by reading the successes of fellow 50+ers.

Josie: You got this. I can tell you that going alcohol free about 2 years ago helped release a quick 5 pounds. I don't miss it, and allow myself a cocktail a couple times a year when it fits my eating plan.

Tracey in Edmonton: You sound ready to leave your job. Best of luck.

Karen in Virginia: Bravo for finishing the deck. Pluck is a very apt description of your accomplishments. Keep it up.

Intentions for October and report card:
    > Meditate and practice Reiki daily = A
    > Yoga once a week in addition to regular cardio = A
    > Do something fun with DH outside of the house 1x per week = B (missed one week)
    > Start on scanning family album #2 = F (still need to finish album #1...ugh)
    > Be lighter = C Finished up .5...so basically stayed the same on the scale for second month in a row! However, my jeans are really loose, so I'm trimming inches.
    Word for 2018 = Release

Love you all, ladies. Stay well.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Katie I forgot what state you live in. I'm curious about the constitutional ballot issues you mentioned. We have only 4 items on the ballot in our district: elect one U.S. Senator, elect one U.S. Representative, and vote on 2 proposed amendments to the state constitution having to do with property tax exemptions, neither of which are controversial.