WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2018

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Machka, glad there's someone really looking at your face and jaw pain. Hurting all the time is not just no fun, it's exhausting.

The dental surgeon has had a look at me and my X-rays and told me that I've got TMJ and mild arthritis in both jaw joints.

He wants the CT scan and MRI to be able to see the joints more clearly to decide what might need to be done.

There's the non-invasive route, but I've been doing most of those suggestions already and it's not improving. That leaves something more "invasive". We'll see.

Meanwhile, a bunch of my teeth are falling apart. So I've found a dental office that knows my dental surgeon and which seems to deal with my sort of issues. I hope this all comes together.

M in Oz

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    :)
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Welcome to all the new posters!

Carol in GA
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Heather wowzers for you on the run. Very proud of you. The good thing about leaving your tablet at your son's, is now you don't have far to go to retrieve it :)

Looking forward to pictures of your new surroundings.

Janetr OKC
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    edited November 2018
    Good morning ladies!

What color am I grateful for? Turquoise! I am crazy for Turquoise! I collect Native American made turquoise jewelry, Turquoise vintage Fiestaware, clothing, and if my DH would go for it, I would have the whole house decorated in Turquoise. I do have my Turquoise Fiestaware canisters in the kitchen, he's ok with that!

Machka and Lisa Thanks for the updates on your bio. We should do that every once in a while!

Machka You have had a heck of a year. I pray that you have a better one coming up! Maybe you can get some support?

Janet I love your ornaments, they're very beautiful! I have my Christmas tree in all white with a little silver and gold. Not much to be noticed, then I have a collection of Lenox china moose on it too. My BFF has been giving me them for the last 15 years! Do you sell them by orders?

Karen in VA Jessica, my daughter, had to move back out of the house. After moving in for one night, the air made her sick. So her insurance company has her in another condo in Panama City Beach. Her house is in Panama City. The kids are in school in their own district again, but it's being held at the Edgewater hotel. It's such a mess and everything is taking so long to get repaired. She's getting back to work little by little, but her cliental is doing the same as she is, repairing their property.

If anyone would like to donate to her, I still have the GoFundMe page up and running: www.gofundme.com/hurricane-jessica-nicolosi-banks

My DH fed Dolly our dog a cookie this morning. It had raisin paste in it. He did not know it, but I keep telling him not to feed her human food. About an half hour later, Dolly got up on the couch and was shaking. Her heart was pounding. So off to the vet and she gave her a shot to make Dolly throw up. In less than 5 minutes she did. The vet explained that raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. With no cure. Now we are home and $70 less in the bank. My DH even goes so far as to buy her Little Smokies (a sausage) and sliced cheese all the time. I love our dog and I know he does too, but he's hard-headed and won't listen to me! UGG!!! Maybe he will listen now.

Have a good Saturday. It's a beautiful fall day!

Dana in Arkansas

ou2gvpcr9fks.jpeg
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,678 Member
    Poor Dolly girl,give her ear scratches for me....I am home with dishwasher going,have laundry going and waiting on my friends to show up....they haven't seen my condo yet...
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Heather: I am impressed with all that you have accomplished. WTG!!! Great idea to go out and meet shopkeepers. :star:

Mary from Ontario: Welcome to a great group of supportive women! Stop by often for encouragement and support. To find us again, click the blank star at the top of our page. It will turn yellow, and you can get back to us easily by clicking on the star at the top of the page. Best advice—follow the guidance of MFP. Let them set your calorie goals and do your best to follow them. As you lose weight, they will reduce your allowed calories. :flowerforyou:

Felicia: I love your happiness list! :bigsmile:

Sue: It sounds like your DH is getting good care. What a blessing that is! :heart:

Irish Terri: Your goals for November are well chosen. I think you will do well with them. WTG!!! :star:

Machka: The 30 days of gratitude is a lovely idea. :flowerforyou:

Sofia_Allegra: Welcome to a great group. :star:

Dejavouhlala: Several of us are near or in their 70’s. I suspect you’ll find some like-minded individuals among us. Welcome! :smiley:

DH is under the weather today and I’m wanting to go and do. Today he needs a little extra TLC, so my going and doing will be minimalized. We need to go the paint store and get trim paint for the windows that were just replaced. I’m not sure whether I’ll be able to make a visit to the stable, but I tend to doubt it. I do have a lesson scheduled for tomorrow.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    :)
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,482 Member
    Sat and watched 2.5 hrs of mindless TV last night. Not my usual. Took supplements and ate a half ounce of jerky to try to meet protein goal. Felt a little off-kilter when standing. Listed strongly to the right when I finally walked into the office to catch up on my dailies. Laid down to meditate, felt a little nauseous but was able to complete. Rolled over to start knee exercises. Only got half way done with the first one when the dizziness and nausea told me "No!" Likewise no way I could eat my evening yoghurt to make protein goal. Staggered into the bathroom thinking if I threw up I'd feel better, but nothing came up. Staggered into the bedroom where I woke Joe to tell him "I'm having some trouble." He suggested I take an aspirin which I did. Slept well. Mostly ok this morning, just a hint of a promise of dizziness in the back of my brain. Did all the Wii balance games, even the ones I don't like, and was no worse and sometimes better than the last time. Finished up last night's knee exercises without recurrence. Any ideas?

mjschmitzmojo unless you are first to reply, your post will not show directly under someone else's. This thread is strictly linear with most recent post at bottom, and no indented or nested replies. Quoting as Kay suggests, copies that post and puts your reply under the copy, as the newest posting. Clear as mud? Please sign off with your name and location so we know what to call you. ;)
    Heather Max's bath time topics sound amazingly advanced for a 7 yr old. Brava! Getting things out from boxes and putting in cupboards helps me feel "settled". 5K First in your age group? BRAVISSIMA!
    Katla I am so jealous of your new interior window trim. Was that part of the entire bid or a separate add on?
    KJ wow, does that mean you'll have Trentin til 11:30 several nights a week indefinitely? Trust he beds down at some point? "It's the little things..." DING! :)
    Sue in WA Glad to hear chemo cost covered, but most thankful your DH is keeping his sense of humor up. Bravo!
    Beth, sometimes the timing is just right. Glad your DH seized the moment to give you some unexpected joy.
    Michele "perfect blood work" Wowser! You are a testament to the power of exercise and clean eating!
    Lisa you're right about 4-6 am Wal~mart runs, that's what we did when we lived in a metro area. Haven't tried driving the 45 mins in the dark here.
    Machka love the gratitude prompts and your and Irish Terri's responses. Sounds like your new DDS and Oral surgeon will work together to resolve the TMJ. Right there with Lisa hoping resoultion. Hurting all the time IS exhausting and takes its toll on healing and other bodily systems. Continued prayers.
    Kay "basement clutter to the thrift store" LOL! You never give up :)
    Dana that Neuropathy sounds painful! Any relief? So glad you acted quickly on Dolly's raisin paste reaction. Small comfort but $70 is not bad for an emergency vet visit. I've never had an emergency vet visit come in at less than $300. Ugg indeed. If your DH won't listen to you, have a male vet explain it to him. Worked with mine ;)
    NYKaren "consistency not perfection" amen, sister!
    Welcome Cari in N Tx, you are doing wonderfully, and have been rewarded already with the improved blood results. In my experience, volume measures LIE. Even level measures weigh up to 3 times what the nutrition label says they should. I weigh my calorie dense (fats, starches, fruits, proteins) foods and only guesstimate the greens. Great goals, keep on keeping ON!
    Welcome ata1anta cute/spooky cat!
    Cheryl welcome back. Can you channel any shock/anger at today's weight to feeling better NOW? Plan and log today's food or take a walk outside. See you tomorrow!
    Welcome Mary from Ont. I too am 68 years old, but have not the excuse of childbearing, thyroid or other. Heather inspires me, she was first in her age group on her first 5K today, and she's my age too! Barbie's wisdom and insights are always right on point. Welcome!
    Welcome Sofia_Alegria, don't pressure yourself to read or reply, just skim. I think Depression is right up there with physical injury as weight gain demons. Try to do just one thing to make yourself feel better NOW. Pre-plan today's food, or walk outside for 5 minutes, anything. Baby steps.
    Welcome dejavuohala/Carol from UK? Please let us know your general location to help us keep your comments straight from Carol in GA's?

Re-framing one of my November goals to be "Playing with Tumble" will sneak walking and training in under that heading ;}

Have been sitting for tooooo long, so will save the bio for another time.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    60 g protein 1/2, rx/vits 2/2, meditate 2/2, walk one more step 2/2, knee exercises 2/2, play with Tumble 2/2, core 1/8, SWSY UP 0/8, SWSY LOW 0/8, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 1/2.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,042 Member
    Machka stress is hard on teeth too. My mom swore WWll did a number on her teeth. I know you are doing the best you can under the circumstances. Anything you can do to lower your stress will help.

My stress is coming out as more redness on my face. I am handling my stress by doing more singing and painting. I also savor something of beauty everyday.

After hearing you and Barbie I am going to make a dental appointment on Monday for my cracked tooth and get a crown. I hope to avoid a root canal by being proactive. Fortunately it is in my last tooth with a silver filling. It has been on my list to get it done. This just forces the issue.

:heart: Margaret
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Hi All just found this group, think I'm over qualified 71!! Lol. Been on my fitness pal for over five years and had lost 50lbs, but earlier in the year I had two major operations in three months and it's completely thrown me off track and I've gained a stone of my loss, I could kick myself but I'm still here. Hoping getting to know you all a little will keep me on track. I'm not able to follow some of the conversations just yet but maybe I will get the drift of everyone's journey soon. Have a lovely weekend, my name is Carol and I am pleased to meet you all.

Sorry In My original post I forgot to state my location I'm in Kent. United Kingdom.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,904 Member
    Hi All just found this group, think I'm over qualified 71!! Lol. Been on my fitness pal for over five years and had lost 50lbs, but earlier in the year I had two major operations in three months and it's completely thrown me off track and I've gained a stone of my loss, I could kick myself but I'm still here. Hoping getting to know you all a little will keep me on track. I'm not able to follow some of the conversations just yet but maybe I will get the drift of everyone's journey soon. Have a lovely weekend, my name is Carol and I am pleased to meet you all.

:)Welcome, Carol, This group has many women way over 50. I am 72 and not the oldest one here. I started my journey at age 62 and learned so much through regular connection with MFP and this thread. I had spine surgery in 2016 and a compression spinal fracture a few months ago and have used the tools I learned here to keep me on track and keep the weight off. I live with my husband, two dogs, and a cat. I walk my dogs every morning, ride a exercise bike while watching tv, and attend line dance classes.

:)Heather, congrats on finishing the 5K with a good time. Your success is amazing.

<3 Barbie