WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Hi Barbie. Thank you for the lovely welcome. I am a carer to my husband who has multiple health problems. I had three children twins aged 49 and my
    Late daughter would have been 43 but Sadly passed when she was 28. Earlier this year I broke my hip and just after I came out if hospital after surgery it was discovered I had colon cancer so another major operation. I'm struggling to get rid of the weight gained. I was off work for five months but I'm
    Back at work now.

Thank you and I hope you are recovering from your surgery that must have been very painful, I use a static bike too.
    Carol UK
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Machka - that gratitude calendar is a great idea. Many ideas there for creating a personalized one. Your DH has made such wonderful progress - I can't see you ever retiring as you do so well keeping so many balls in the air altho I know you reached your limits this past year. Very proud of you.

Heather - congrats on finishing the 5K parkrun, and first in your age category! So happy to hear all the utilities are getting put together for you.

Barbara AHMOD - OK, I am worried about your dizzy spell. Did you happen to take your BP at the time? Do you have a cold or sinus-did you take any medication?

I signed up for a free month of Hulu and have been binge-watching The Good Doctor so every ache and pain is a rare brain tumor or affliction that needs surgery or a transplant of some type, lol. So please get it checked if it happens again!

Dana - glad Dolly is OK. I don't know what it is with guys feeding dogs junk or too much. Our little Rosie is back on a diet - DH insisted on giving her "soft treats" = high calorie yummy snacks from Drs Foster & Smith all the time when I told him a piece of kibble would do just fine. Now she's on a piece of raw carrot for treat which she loves most of all.

I did a quick skim read of "Decluttering at the Speed of Life." What jumped out at me: attack the visible clutter first. Good idea and I've been slowly doing that anyhow. I've decided since I often eat out of boredom, a better thing would be a bit of decluttering instead of pawing through the pantry for snacks and old candy!

So I've broken it down to one shelf, drawer, or container at a time. This morning went through a container of my grandmother's old jewelry = 98% went into a thrift store box, then hit my top dresser drawer where I added more jewelry including half a dozen bracelets I've gotten for gifts through the years which I NEVER wear. Don't like dangly stuff around my wrists. Oh, I filled a Walmart sack of just plain crap in that drawer for the garbage, too. Empty perfume bottles! tissue paper! ribbon! No wonder I couldn't close the dang thing, lol.

My story = I'm 67 and have been dealing with weight issues all my life. Chubby kid (so I thought) but grew to 5'9" by the time I graduated high school at around 155 lbs, thought I was HUGE of course. During my life I've been up to around 195 and down to 135 for my wedding as the result of starving myself. I've been on Weight Watchers all of my life and yo-yo'ed plenty. Gave up on WW a couple years ago when they changed their website where I could no longer log food easily and their community went away. Plus their prices went way up. Fooey.

Found myfitnesspal and their fabulous logging/diary and this group. Was around 170 when I started nearly 2 years ago, now down around 160 (158 to 162), and I attribute that to some better eating but strength training as well (thanks to Barbie, Heather, Kate, Mary and many others who inspired me!) As long as I'm not over the upper number for healthy BMI, I'm satisfied and feel good.

Speaking of, I need to go pump iron. Have a great afternoon ladies!

Lanette
    Soggy SW WA State

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Need Pips boot, really I do!😋
    Rebecca
    (The suspense will be agonizing)

I’ll get u after the run tomorrow

LOL Rebecca and Pip
    . I can see it now.... B)Rebecca, better you than me, at least this round. Whew!

Rebecca, so neat you can follow DS's flight! Do you think he'll be able to communicate much as to where he's staying, friends he meets, sights he sees? Tho being able to and actually doing can be 2 different things to kiddos.

Pip
    - love all the photos by the way. When will you and Kirby return?

OK ladies, don't forget to set those clocks back! :*<3

Lanette
    Soggy SW WA State with a fawn grazing in the back yard. Wish Pip would give IT the boot. I know it's planning to keep munching on all our trees and bushes. :s
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Well, I did the 5k Parkrun this morning with my son and the rest of the family cheering me on. :D
    Unfortunately no one remembered to take a photo.
    I did it in a personal best for me, of official time 46.40. I am happy with that and ten seconds of that was getting to the starting point. My son egged me on. I was 502 out of 508. But I was first in my age group. :D
    For those who don't know me, I am 69 and started jogging on Jan 1st this year.

Congrats!! :)

We've got 2 or 3 Parkruns sort of in the area but still a bit of a drive away. I wish my more immediate area would get one.

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My sister-in-law posted this and I thought it was good ...

lkzkyg4kxd5w.png

So ...

Nov 1 - my roses. :)

Nov 2 - social media and staying connected with family and friends.

Nov 3 - blue. The blue of the mouth of the river/bay/start of the ocean out my window. The blue of the sky. My new blue sleeping top that was nice and comfy last night.

Machka in Oz

Nov 4 - food ... cheese. I ate a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches when my husband was in hospital. They were my comfort food. Also cheese has calcium which I think I need. Unfortunately, cheese does tend to be a bit high in calories so I shouldn't eat too much of it. But anything cheese-y is comforting. :)

Machka in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Did Kathy Smith’s Great Buns and Thighs DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a 10 Minute Solution Tighten and Tone Pilates DVD.

We’re supposed to go to this service at the local synagogue for the victims of the most recent shooting. Vince doesn’t want to go but I feel we should. So he’s going with me. Fortunately, it will only last like an hour because they’re having a hazardous waste pick up today. We take batteries, etc. to this place. They only have it twice a year. This evening I’m supposed to usher at the church. I just looked at the schedule, it looks like this lady only puts three of us on the schedule, one per week. Why? That’s one I don’t know. Found a recipe for a lemon cake online yesterday so I’ll probably make that today.

Barbie – a friend of mine had chemo for breast cancer and she would get very sick. She said that one thing that really helped her was to have some fresh ginger.

Cari in TX – actually, Shadow isn’t our cat. See, our daughter is in vet school (this is where I cry) in the Caribbean. I know, I know, life is tough. But while she’s there, her cat is staying here. Her bf in VA is living with this guy who smokes and she doesn’t want her cat exposed to that. Plus, the vet is here. She knows Shadow is well taken care of. We have 4 cats of our own, so one more really isn’t that big a deal. A friend of mine who moved from Texas introduced me to a grapefruit pie. I’d never heard of one and was afraid it would be hard to get the grapefruit segments out, but surprisingly it wasn’t. I’ll probably take that recipe with me and make it for a condo pot luck when we go down there

Karen in VA – who is that dino? A kid in a dino costume came to our house this year and I seem to recall that he had to be careful on the stairs.

M – I wish only the best for you with the dental issues you’re having.

Boo…we move the clocks back an hour tonight. Boo……Boo….Boo (as you can tell, I don’t like this)

Sofia – welcome! You’ll find us a chatty and caring bunch. Don’t worry about reading each and every post. Sometimes we just have to skim. Everyone understands.

Katla – I know you watch the sodium in foods. I used to buy the original Boca burgers. But recently the store didn’t have any so I got the turkey burgers. They are almost double in sodium as the original ones! I didn’t realize this until I’d opened the package. What brand of veggie burgers do you recommend that’s low in sodium? I know the Boca original were lower than the Morningstar. At least, that’s my recollection.

Finished bringing in the Halloween decorations and started putting out the Christmas ones. Vince is getting worse and worse with his OCD about the decorations. I wanted to put out the “fence” for the lights and put the piece of PVC that goes over the stake in front of it. He got upset thinking that I’d get the sequence wrong. I just said “don’t you see the pieces on the ground. That’s how I know that I have the sequence right.” Then he was telling me over and over about how I should be careful around the lights. Honestly, I heard him the first time. But I’m just letting this roll off my shoulders.

Made a lemon cake for when Steve gets here and just put the crumb coating of icing on it. I’ll probably finish icing it tomorrow. Went to church, I was scheduled to usher. It looks like what this girl does is puts just three of us, one each week (there needs to be two). Honestly!!!! Then went to Food Lion to get juice for Steve and ice cream. I should have gotten Vince milk, but I thought he would have enough until Monday when I’ll go to Aldi after exercise, only he won’t. So I may have to go back there tomorrow.

The plan for tomorrow is that Vince wants to trim the bushes. I don’t think this is the time of year when you’re supposed to trim them. Maybe if I’m real lucky the ones I don’t want will die. But can I get that lucky?

Sofia – welcome! Read what you can, when you can.

Janetr – love your ornaments!

Dejavu…. – welcome. No way you’re overqualified!!! I’m so sorry about your daughter

Dana – whew! Glad Dolly is better

Vicki – happy anniversary

Katie – don’t you just hate it when you should have bought something? I know that I do

Iced the cake for Steve. Now it’s in the refrigerator getting the icing hardened. Running the d/w and the washing machine.

Michele in NC
  • Machka9
    Options
    Tips that have worked for me

Put your current numbers into MFP
    Select sedentary as your activity level
    Choose how much you'd like to lose (i.e. 1 lb/week)
    ... and start weighing (with food scale) and logging every bite.

A few extra things have helped me along the way:

1) Exploring my grocery stores and markets to find delicious, filling low calorie foods. It's amazing what's out there.

2) Exercising as much as possible. Exercise gives me extra calories to work with so that I can have things like pizza now and the ... but to keep my sanity and not wear myself out, my exercise quantity varies as does what I do for exercise.

3) Eating how I want to eat. This is where everyone is different ... some people prefer to employ fasting, others like high protein diets, some like vegetarian diets, some like to eat 2 or 3 meals a day, others like to graze. Go with what works for you.

Personally, if I had to define what I do, my diet is probably most similar to a Mediterranean diet with a vegetarian lean ... and I'm a grazer. I also have to adjust what I do depending on my cycling events ... they're tricky because I need the fuel without going overboard.

And stick to it for 5 weeks, then reassess how things are going.

Machka in Oz
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Oh three more hours for him then he'll be there. Then its another flight to another city, and a bus trip to the base. My 19 yr old traveling by himself, so proud of him! He was going to have to pay for an extra bag, but they let him take his garment bag as carry on, instead of paying the charge of $200. Thought that was darn nice.
    Rebecca
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Dana, yes I do sell my ornaments. There is a FB page Janet's Bedazzling Ornaments. You can check it out if you'd like. Hope I don't get in trouble for that.

Janetr OKC