What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Harder 8 minute intervals at lunch (after my lift this AM) with 2 minute recoveries. Did first two on LateralX and last two on Assault Bike. HR hit 91% of max on last interval.

Not as hard as the rower, but served its purpose of longer interval training without reaggravating the trigger finger, which is feeling better.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    @Lietchi, I'm so impressed that you did the 5k race, in the face of fears about it! That's a much more important thing, IMO, than exactly where you ended up in the rankings. Yay, you!

As an aside, I wonder whether your HRmax may be somewhat higher than your Garmin thinks it is, even as I accept and appreciate that you were working really hard, really pushing.

Just an excellent thing you've accomplished, all the way around.
    Djproulx wrote: »
    @Lietchi - Congrats on your race! 5k races are very hard, since you're typically going at max effort the whole time. Your HR numbers tell that story pretty clearly!

Thanks! I'm not sure what my precise max HR is, but I'm sure I was pretty close to it! My resting HR was up quite a bit yesterday from the effort.

Despite that, I still wanted to reach my weekly mileage so I ran 11km on the treadmill in 1h15 (8.8kph). Not the smartest thing, my lungs were feeling a bit raw, but I'm stubborn 🤪

Today was more of a rest day though, only a short strength training session. 2 sets of each:
    - DB shoulder press
    - DB bench press
    - assisted pull-ups
    - BB rack pulls
    - dip bar leg raises
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Restarted my 1min run/1min walk progression on Friday and did it again today. Effort was pain free. First time around in August I got too much soreness, so backed off. This will be a slow process, but there's no rush. I really don't want to lose another season of running.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Yes, more rowing, usual near-7k, 2 seat of quad, with a few power pieces tossed in. Cool, gloomy morning, but no rain - felt like Fall. I think we're gradually getting a little faster with the power on, though knowing that is confounded by differences in wind and current. There isn't much current, usually, but even so it seems to make maybe a 10 second or so difference in pace (per 500m).
  • MikePfirrman
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Easy hour of cardio, though I mixed it up a bit. half hour on the treadmill (just walking uphill @ 15% incline -- I can't run anymore) and then half an hour on the Assault Bike.
  • Lietchi
    Options
    Short-ish run today. Dragged myself to the basement despite some TOM cramping, which fortunately subsided at the start of my run. 6.5km in 45 min, a steady 8.7kph speed. Felt harder than it should have - residual effects of the race Saturday or just my TOM, or both, who knows.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Bike day again, comfortable temp (just above 70F/21C), but a little humid (70% or so). Rode part of it on a side branch of the trail I hadn't ridden all the way to the end before. That section was a little more straight/level, so a bit faster, but I was getting kind of tired/slow by the end, so ended up around normal average pace: 10.8mph moving average, 25.38 miles.

Then I came home and ate a big heap'o'fresh pear and peach. Very satisfying.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Bike day again, comfortable temp (just above 70F/21C), but a little humid (70% or so). Rode part of it on a side branch of the trail I hadn't ridden all the way to the end before. That section was a little more straight/level, so a bit faster, but I was getting kind of tired/slow by the end, so ended up around normal average pace: 10.8mph moving average, 25.38 miles.

@Ann, 25 miles is quite a bit of riding on a hybrid style bike. Is the trail paved, gravel or both?
  • AnnPT77
    Options

@Ann, 25 miles is quite a bit of riding on a hybrid style bike. Is the trail paved, gravel or both?

Aw, thanks, @Djproulx!

It's paved. It's at all difficult riding: Many of my usual sections are slow because they're winding and wooded, and I don't like to ride faster than my clear path ahead - like to keep the speed where I can stay fully in my lane around those bends.

Today's ride, by contrast, was quite open for long stretches, not as tightly winding. Great sight lines! The newer-to-me part is along a power company right of way, mostly cleared of trees on both sides of the towers that parallel the path. I was holding 12-15mph, sometimes a little more (maybe up to 17?), for stretches of it - and not just downhill 😉. I think that's maybe kind of OK for a li'l ol' lady on a hybrid bike.

I have to admit, riding 25 miles at that average speed - plus taking a couple of snack/water/scenery breaks in there - takes a chunk out of my day!
  • Squiktater
    Squiktater Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Got my tired *kitten* out of bed to lift weights at the gym this morning. Chatted with a hot guy in the freeweights section. Totally worth it! 😆
  • Djproulx
    Options

Today's ride, by contrast, was quite open for long stretches, not as tightly winding. Great sight lines! The newer-to-me part is along a power company right of way, mostly cleared of trees on both sides of the towers that parallel the path. I was holding 12-15mph, sometimes a little more (maybe up to 17?), for stretches of it - and not just downhill 😉. I think that's maybe kind of OK for a li'l ol' lady on a hybrid bike.

I have to admit, riding 25 miles at that average speed - plus taking a couple of snack/water/scenery breaks in there - takes a chunk out of my day!

Re: bolded comments - That's VERY OK for someone on a hybrid. Thinking of the rolling resistance of hybrid tires, plus the upright riding position, results in having to do some work to maintain speed. As a point of reference, I took a quick look at results from the Cranberry Trifest Olympic distance triathlon (my last race). The bike course in that race is 26 miles long, so it's a reasonable comparison. Of the 106 women(all ages) who finished the race, 11 of them had an ave pace of less than 16mph, most around 15mph. Plus I'd venture a guess that all of them (99%) were riding road or time trial bikes, which roll much easier.

Regarding the ride duration: Anything over two hours is a great workout, and fueling/hydration really helps once you're in the saddle that long... but you knew that already. :)

• Djproulx
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »

We saw a lot more beaver activity than I'm used to. That was neat. We saw lots of blue herons, plenty of green herons, some bald eagles, lots of plovers, cliff swallows & tree swallows, and lots of native plants in addition to the invasive plants. We saw plenty of invasive plants we were not on a mission to treat, so we just looked at them and shook our heads. Very few folks on the water. I am grateful there's such an amazing resource in my back yard.

That sounds beautiful. We have some very pretty river/marsh/lake paddling areas around here as well. And fall is a great time to see them.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Twp different PT visits this week and the consensus was that I'm moving from the injury recovery to strengthening phase of rehab. No more inflammation in my lower back/glute/hamstring, though the left side is weaker due to months of deconditioning.

I'm starting back with my trainer tomorrow and we'll focus on all the basic posterior chain work needed to regain strength before I start any significant run work. I've also had my bike fit modified to a much less aggressive position to reduce the pulling on my back/hamstrings during long rides. That means I'll be slower, but more comfortable on the TT Bike.

Planning to ride outdoors tonight.
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    Just more ho hum easy cardio again today. 30 minutes on the LateralX and 30 minutes on the Assault Bike.
  • Lietchi
    Options
    Intended to do a long run before dinner. Instead: worked late, had dinner late, tried to do a shorter run after dinner but aborted when dinner started coming back up again 😛 so just 2.3km in 16 minutes.

Being alone all week (BF abroad), I'm off my routine. Well, at least it's a learning experience that confirms I need to work out before dinner, not after!
  • AnnPT77
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Moderate steady state row today, in bow of the double. It was a little longer than average at 8.9km because we did 2 upstream loops (boathouse to bridge and back, X 2) rather than boathouse bridge A to bridge B and back in one loop. Ski team was out practicing in the buoy course near the other bridge again. Sharing is good, right? 😉

Re: bolded comments - That's VERY OK for someone on a hybrid. Thinking of the rolling resistance of hybrid tires, plus the upright riding position, results in having to do some work to maintain speed. As a point of reference, I took a quick look at results from the Cranberry Trifest Olympic distance triathlon (my last race). The bike course in that race is 26 miles long, so it's a reasonable comparison. Of the 106 women(all ages) who finished the race, 11 of them had an ave pace of less than 16mph, most around 15mph. Plus I'd venture a guess that all of them (99%) were riding road or time trial bikes, which roll much easier.

Regarding the ride duration: Anything over two hours is a great workout, and fueling/hydration really helps once you're in the saddle that long... but you knew that already. :)

@Djproulx, it's so kind of you to say this. I literally know nothing - well, nearly nothing - about biking performance or the like. I know a couple of things about rowing, and have casual friends who are serious cyclists of whom I can ask questions about bike stuff, but I'm pretty ignorant beyond the rules of the road. I'm just doing it for variety and fun, and am happy that I seem to keep gradually improving in certain ways. Physically, there's some overlap with rowing: Leg power, CV stuff.

I don't know what that tri course is like, but my rides are mostly just very gently rolling or flat, with only a couple of hills on my 1.7 mile stretch to reach the paved trail.

I'm pretty much always taking small snacks on these rides, don't always eat them - both something salty, something with some simple carbs - it depends on how I feel. Always water breaks, though: I sweat copiously, and it's been a pretty warm summer here - above 80F on a lot of my rides.

Thank you!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    Went to bed last night feeling right as rain, thinking I may even be able to get a workout in during my upcoming 4-day weekend. (I worked Sunday and pulled 13 hours Monday, so I've already got my 40 hours in for the week.) Woke up this morning with a twinge in the back, not an ache or pain, more of a "hello, I'm still here" kind of thing. Now I'm convinced I will stick to my original self-imposed stricture about not working out all week, and it's driving me crazy! My wife doesn't understand...to her, exercise is a necessary evil, a chore to dread, endure, and forget about after. Only a crowd like this will appreciate the insidious evil of WANTING to exercise, but not being ABLE to do so.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Went to bed last night feeling right as rain, thinking I may even be able to get a workout in during my upcoming 4-day weekend. (I worked Sunday and pulled 13 hours Monday, so I've already got my 40 hours in for the week.) Woke up this morning with a twinge in the back, not an ache or pain, more of a "hello, I'm still here" kind of thing. Now I'm convinced I will stick to my original self-imposed stricture about not working out all week, and it's driving me crazy! My wife doesn't understand...to her, exercise is a necessary evil, a chore to dread, endure, and forget about after. Only a crowd like this will appreciate the insidious evil of WANTING to exercise, but not being ABLE to do so.

Doing the right thing for recovery can be a tortuous existence, as time seems to stand still. That said, it is the right answer for those of us playing the long game.

• MikePfirrman
    edited September 2022
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »

Doing the right thing for recovery can be a tortuous existence, as time seems to stand still. That said, it is the right answer for those of us playing the long game.

Good advice. All I'll add is that, as you age (and I know you know this djproulx), it becomes much more common to have to overcome injuries. I had that back disc which took me out of rowing for a year.

If you take rehab as your workout and actively rehab instead of doing just rest, it sometimes helps. I had a torn rotator cuff two times. Instead of lifting, after I could do anything with the shoulder, I worked my butt off rehabbing the shoulder. I'd use my lifting days for rehab. My shoulders are super strong now and I haven't hurt them in years. I've learned a lot about prevention and working the small muscles.

My experience is that once a lower back starts to hurt, it's not going away anytime soon until some of the underlying reasons that it's hurting are addressed.

My son is into powerlifting. He's 29, but was having lower back issues. He found a Chiropractor in San Diego that also is a PT and works quite a bit with the powerlifters in the area. It helps to find a healthcare provider that understands that, "just stop lifting" isn't an acceptable answer to you.

Longer term, as you age, you'll stubbornly adjust what you can and can't do. I know I could deadlift 300 pounds anytime I wanted. I'd also likely throw out my back again. It's just not worth it to me at this time in my life, so I stick to modest weights, higher reps, and still manage to pack on quite a bit of muscle and little body fat.