What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Rowed stroke in the quad this morning, a slightly shorter run (just under 6k) because the bow rower had to be off the water early.

This afternoon, casual walk with a friend, just over 3 miles. We stopped around the midpoint for quite a while to watch (from a bit of distance) as a young man fed two white tail deer raw peanuts that he keeps in his pack while riding his bike (mainly to feed to squirrels). The braver deer gradually got very close to him - within arm's length - but wouldn't take food from his hand. He was very patient with them, so this went on for quite some time:

Really rewarding to watch. They were just off the paved path, and he was standing on the path edge. While this was going on, numerous people went by on bikes or walking, some not seeming to care if they scared off the deer. They'd usually drop back a bit into the brush when that happened, then come back for more peanuts.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    @mtaratoot - That river stretch looks beautiful. Would love to float that with fly rod in hand. :)

Weekly long ride today. 48 miles via an out and back route at a 16.2mph ave. Dodged the raindrops.
  • DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    @Djproulx, thank you for the offer. I do have lots of questions about tri training.

Biked for 50 minutes today, high humidity so a slower pace.
  • laurachambers86
    laurachambers86 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Did 3 hours of yoga and pilates at a special wellness event at my gym today. Not too intense but enough to get the heart rate up and core really working.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Rowed 2 seat in the quad today. One of our more occasional participants rowed for the first time this season in 3 seat (right in front of me, one seat toward the stern).

The lineup as a whole had some difficulty getting things synchronized this morning, so we worked more on that, and only did a few power 10s when things felt more together. (Every lineup is a little different; the stroke rower makes a lot of difference in that as they set the cadence by example, and ideally we all match them at multiple benchmarks during the stroke: Catch, leg push, body swing open from hips, arm pull, release, arms away, body swing forward, legs release and let the boat bring us back to the next catch.) We had our best stroke in the boat, but we were not all matching her, especially at first.

There's a game bow rowers (the steering postion) like to play, when the water ski buoy course is not being used by skiers. We try to take the boat straight through a long line of paired parallel buoys that are just a bit wider apart than our boat width. If the steering is perfect, the buoys pass right under the riggers, hitting neither the boat nor the oar blades. It sounds easy, but any differential in strength of strokes on right vs. left, or anyone with inappropriate body lean (even head turn) perturbs the boat's course. Today's bow (not me!) did it perfectly.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    20 minutes on the treadmill and a 30 minute walk outside
  • laurachambers86
    Options
    Horse riding today. Really muggy morning so I didn't plan to go too far. A charity running race was being set up on the way back and we had to negotiate many scary flags! So the ride just became about some gentle encouragement and not worrying about distance or speed.

Also did 30 minutes of yin yoga stretches this evening.
  • jec7724
    jec7724 Posts: 11 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Death valley hike.
  • DiscusTank5
    Options
    jec7724 wrote: »
    Death valley hike.

Pictures?? Please!
  • DiscusTank5
    Options
    [quote="Ernest_Nigma;c-47526302" I could barely manage a slow couple of km on the track today. There was a time when I'd have hardly considered that a decent warmup, but I'm obviously not that guy anymore. Gotta start from where I'm at now, and this is a start.[/quote]

I feel this. I've been missing my distance running days (training for half marathons back in my 30s), but since going on a 45 min. run last weekend (up from my usual 30 min runs 2X/week this summer), my legs have been hurting, esp. the left. I'm afraid it's shin splints. Boo!

• laurachambers86
    Options
    Yesterday's workout was a 5km easy cycle doing some chores around town, a 60 minute walk and 40 minute upper body workout in the gym.

The past couple of weeks I've been absolutely starving, especially in the late afternoons/early evenings. I think it's because I've increased my activity level but not compensated within my diet, so think I'm going to try and eat at maintenance for a few weeks.
  • lrebetsky
    lrebetsky Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am often going on to Instagram to get work out ideas, as I follow a few trainers who post videos. I work out 5-6 days a week and like to mix it up & try new things. I thought I would start a discussion and have people post their work outs. Maybe give each other some good ideas! If I stick with the same thing over and over I get booorred.

MY WORK OUT TODAY:
    30 min on treadmill, alternating speeds walking & running
    Squats with kettlebell
    Overhead press to squat with 40lb. bar
    Mountain climber/burpee/pushup circuit
    10 minutes of stretching to end

Total time: 1hr. 10 min.

Current weight: 162
    Goal weight: 142

Yesterday I did a 40 minute pool workout and today I am going to go walk laps at the mall for 40 minutes. I just started working out again but I know that my body responds best to hour long workouts so that's what I'm trying to get to.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I didn't post yesterday . . . got home and crashed, TBH.

Yesterday, I rowed bow in the quad for around 7500m (longer than usual, because - embarassingly - I did a poor job parking at the dock in the wind after bringing the boat in a little hot, wasn't close enough, so we needed to loop around again downriver and re-approach).

In a weak moment months back, I'd signed up for a free AARP-sponsored workout at one of those outdoor park-based workout places (Fitlot), scheduled so close after my rowing workout that I had to hustle to get there. It was around 45 minutes of instructor-led circuits with the Fitlot machines plus some other stations she set up with exercise bands and small weights. There was music, and cues so we'd do 50 seconds at a station, do an active rest (maybe brisk walk around the circular Fitlot site) for 50 seconds, then go to the next station. Total about 45-50 minutes.

It was moderate intensity, as you'd guess from the AARP intended audience, but lots of the things were as much challenge as you wanted to make them, with different intensity options, personal pace (AMRAP) for most, and that sort of thing. Example things: front and back lunges, resistance band upright rows (2 band choices), elliptical machine, chest press machine, step-ups (several step heights), mountain climbers (on the steps, so incline options), bicep curls with a post-attached band, . . . .

One gentleman, unfortunately, seems to have overdone. He worked hard, maybe too hard, at the end sat on a piece of equipment to rest. It was unstable, he fell, and pretty much fainted, then had some issues recovering. Ambulance was called. I helped others hold him up stable on the unstable thing until they got there, because he felt he couldn't safely move to sit on the ground. From how he looked, I think he was going to be alright, but they took him to the hospital and his wife followed.

After that, I went home and did the (trivially small) Concept 2 Juneteenth Challenge - another one where they contribute a small amount to charity for each person who participates (up to $38k USD total). It was just 1900m, and I added a 2' CD, so the total took just a tad over 11', NBD: 9:08.8 for the 1900m at average 2:24.4 pace, 22spm, so kind of moderate-plus pace.

I was trying to get all of that in before a routine mid-afternoon osteopathic manipulation appointment (keeping the li'l ol' lady tuned up!), since I don't like to work out after those.

Still, I had to go help with the learn-to-row class. Last night was the first of two "learn how to flip a boat and get back in", a skill they need for sure when they eventually move to the 12"-wide-at-waterline boats. Some of them will unintentionally flip the wider recreational singles during later stages of the class, too. It's a safety skill. I did some boat carrying, but not much else.

Today, just the second similar class, with the Tuesday-Thursday group. I hope they do as well as the Monday-Wednesday group.

• AnnPT77
    edited June 2023
    Options
    I've been going to a local facility the past few days, either swimming or running on the indoor track on alternate days. I could barely manage a slow couple of km on the track today. There was a time when I'd have hardly considered that a decent warmup, but I'm obviously not that guy anymore. Gotta start from where I'm at now, and this is a start.

@Ernest_Nigma: In my world, that's the harder and therefore more admirable thing: Setting the ego piece aside, doing the moderate workouts and gradual build that's the right way to build back fitness.

One of my personal platitudes is that the smartest sign in the whole world is one we see in lots of places. It says "you are here". It doesn't matter where I wish I were, where I think I ought to or deserve to be . . . here is the only place from which I can take the next step. I just get to choose the direction that step leads.

Cheering for you!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    A few training partners were off from work yesterday and they asked me to pick a route and lead a 35 mile bike ride. Six of us had a fun ride in great weather. I set a modest pace (16.2mph) that was still enough work, since I was carrying fatigue from Saturday's long ride.

Today's session was a lap swim of 1600 uninspired yards in the pool, lol. Planning to get in a longer open water swim on Thursday. Need to get comfortable with the 1.2 mile open water swim that kicks of the race.

Less than 3 weeks until the next race on my calendar, the Ironman Musselman 70.3 triathlon in Geneva, NY. The days have really flown by lately. My bike fitness is fine, swim fitness is tolerable, and run fitness is a question mark at this point.

• drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options
    I need to get to a laptop to post pics of the Scillies. It was lovely, I got back on Sunday.

The last day's diving was a bit extreme ,- a 43 metre wreck I had a 63 minute dive on, with 16 minutes' deco. The we did a shallow reef, where I saw this dogfish:

https://youtu.be/u8mIL5c3a2Y