What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,442 Member
    Options
    Winning4EJ wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Of course I rowed. It's Monday, and it didn't storm.

Usual 7k-ish, 2 seat of the quad, a few power 10s and some timed full-power pieces, plus practicing race starts (even though the head race coming up will not require race starts :D ).

They told me my obliques would be sore after the dragon boat races. Not so much: Maybe I was doing it wrong, maybe 3 x about 1 minute wasn't enough stimulus for that?

I was trying hard, no objective evidence whether that was effective or not. If anything, I have a little upper pec tightness, which makes sense based on what the dragon boat paddling motion is like (not like canoeing!). Those muscles don't get much work in rowing, which is all upper body pull, and lower shoulder/back/arm muscles. Dragon boat paddling, the inside arm goes way up (overhead), and the motion is kind of a straight stab down into the water, then a push/pull-like sequence as the blade moves right next to the gunwale, mostly vertical paddle angle, from around one's feet to the mid/upper thigh area, with a bit of body twist. (I'm probably describing it poorly, and probably did it poorly, first time out.)

Rowing!!!Nice!!!

Do you row, @Winning4EJ ?
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,576 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts... Tested my 1rm in preparation for my next mesocycle. 😊 New PR!!
  • williamsonmj1
    williamsonmj1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Tuesday and Wednesday I had work events in the evening, so I missed scheduled gym day, and then I missed a day I could have caught up. Today was run down and de-motivated so I went and did the minimum- the basic full body and no assistance:
    1. Muscular activation and prehab
    2. Front squats- 5 sets of 5
    3. Bench press - 5 sets of 5
    4. Chinups - 5 sets of 6
    Even though it was a very basic workout it felt awesome. Front squats were deep- all the way to the very bottom (maximum knee flexion) and a little bounce. Bench press was solid, felt like technique was dialed in. Chinups were about as good as I have done them- from the deadest of dead hangs, bar to the chest, them very slow controlled descent, almost no kipping. I am never going to lift actual heavy weights, but I feel like my modest goals are achievable.
  • Winning4EJ
    Winning4EJ Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Winning4EJ wrote: »
    Of course I rowed. It's Monday, and it didn't storm.

Usual 7k-ish, 2 seat of the quad, a few power 10s and some timed full-power pieces, plus practicing race starts (even though the head race coming up will not require race starts :D ).

They told me my obliques would be sore after the dragon boat races. Not so much: Maybe I was doing it wrong, maybe 3 x about 1 minute wasn't enough stimulus for that?

I was trying hard, no objective evidence whether that was effective or not. If anything, I have a little upper pec tightness, which makes sense based on what the dragon boat paddling motion is like (not like canoeing!). Those muscles don't get much work in rowing, which is all upper body pull, and lower shoulder/back/arm muscles. Dragon boat paddling, the inside arm goes way up (overhead), and the motion is kind of a straight stab down into the water, then a push/pull-like sequence as the blade moves right next to the gunwale, mostly vertical paddle angle, from around one's feet to the mid/upper thigh area, with a bit of body twist. (I'm probably describing it poorly, and probably did it poorly, first time out.)

Rowing!!!Nice!!!

Do you row, @Winning4EJ ?

No but there's something about it I've always admired and enjoyed watching. Closest thing to rowing for me are the rowing machines at the gym.
  • williamsonmj1
    Options
    Incline treadmill walk today, forty minutes. Deadlifts tomorrow!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Short but sweet and brutal on leg day.

Did warmups on squats then did a superset of 3 exercises:

Leg extensions to failure (15 ended up being the number)
    High bar backsquats with my heels on 5 lb weights until (assumed) failure (12 actual reps)

Then immediately into seated leg curls until failure (12) (same weight I used for extensions and that I normally do 15 pretty easily)

And I’m toast and trying not to puke now.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Nice moderate pace steady state row in bow of the quad this morning, the usual roughly 7k, on a lovely morning. One of our boat mates today is just coming back to rowing after a bout of Covid, still fatigued, so we took it easy rather than pushing the pace.

One of the interesting things about sculling (two oars per person) is that within a certain range, people in a boat can be working at quite different intensities/power (as long as they move at the same strokes per minute). The recovering person said she was going very light, almost trailing the oars through the water; I was at a more medium pace, pushing harder than that. (I won't speak for the other 2. ;) )

There was a double out with us practicing for the head race on the 30th . . . we didn't even keep up. :D
  • laurachambers86
    laurachambers86 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Full body workout in the gym this morning, can barely remember any of the exercises I did! Have been feeling ill the past few days and very demotivated but still made it to the gym when I was very very tempted to stay in bed instead. Also got in 10000 steps, which is the first time in a while, my average is about 7000. Not a great deal different but all helps.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,376 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    Short but sweet and brutal on leg day.

Did warmups on squats then did a superset of 3 exercises:

Leg extensions to failure (15 ended up being the number)
    High bar backsquats with my heels on 5 lb weights until (assumed) failure (12 actual reps)

Then immediately into seated leg curls until failure (12) (same weight I used for extensions and that I normally do 15 pretty easily)

And I’m toast and trying not to puke now.

Glad to have you in the iron family (fellow lifter), but I could not be satisfied with your routine. Not only do I use sets-to-failure very sparingly, but your total volume is very small compared to the routines I prefer. Glad it works for you, though!
  • nossmf
    Options
    Coming off my second graveyard shift and needing to return my body's circadian rhythym to a daytime-awake cycle, I hit the gym for more cardio, repeating my hour of elliptical hills from two days ago. Followed this up by walking all over kingdom come and the mall as my wife took advantage of me being off work to do a blitz of shopping. Hate to eat my pizza tonight with milk rather than Pepsi, but want to avoid the caffeine so when I hit the rack tonight, I SLEEP. Especially since tomorrow I have to be up at 5:30 to take my daughter to her high school marching band inter-school competition.
  • williamsonmj1
    Options
    Mixed it up slightly today. Usually it would be deadlifts with back & abs assistance. But as I have more time on Saturday and did my Bro work as assistance (it takes a decent amount of time):
    1. Warmup
    2. Deadlifts- set of 5, set of 3, set of 4 (this was As Many Reps As Possible, target at least 1)
    3. Overhead press- set of 5, set of 5, set of 8 (AMRAP, target at least 5)
    4. Behind the neck overhead press- five sets of ten with the empty bar
    5. Strict chinups- 5 sets of 7
    6. EZ-bar preacher curls- 5 sets of 13/14
    7. Cable tricep pushdowns- 5 sets of 12/13
    8. Pec deck- 4 sets of 8
    9. High position chest-supported rows- 4 sets of 8
    10. Forearm curls/extensions- some
    11. McGill Big Three- all three movements, about 20 seconds per position per side
    Did the pec deck instead of DB incline bench today as rotator cuff has been a bit ouchy. Tried behind-the-neck press for the first time in a long time too- planning to add these to get more medial delt work. I don't like doing shoulder raises of any kind, so these seem the best option. I have very mobile shoulders and have never had impingement issues so I think I can do them safely.

I am taking a break next week- I work overseas and will be going to see my daughter. As I will be mostly off work I am toying with the idea of doing a six-day push/pull/legs split while I am there.
  • laurachambers86
    laurachambers86 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Managed to wangle an extra day's horse riding today, so sacked off the gym and went out. All looking good until my horse felt lame in trot. Didn't want to push it so after it happened a few times I stayed in walk and pootled home. As I was just walking I tried to focus on my position and posture in the saddle instead.

This afternoon I did decide to pop to the gym but just to do 30 minutes of cycling, increasing resistance each minute for the first 15 minutes and then decreasing each minute until the end.
  • Winning4EJ
    Winning4EJ Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Almost 2 hours ...Walked to the gym, then treadmill walking and a bit of running, elliptical, lower body weights and some stretching.
  • _John_
    edited September 2023
    Options
    @nossmf my legs are easily my best body part. I’m doing that workout that way so I can do less on the squat and still work at failure and get in and out quickly. I do 3x sets on leg extensions and leg curls on one of my back days most weeks to add some volume (so I get legs 2 days each week). Honestly my legs aren’t my focus on my year+ long cut back from being a very overweight 5’10” 288 lbs.

And just to put into perspective I “can” do 405 for 8-10 reps, but this allows me to fail/nearly fail with 275, which is much safer considering I don’t have a spotter ( I do set my safety rails about 1-2” below my bottom of the lift tho and have tested bailing with that weight). Also, it’s just my quads failing. My stabilizers on my back, glutes, and hamstrings are all good when I “fail” this way. On a normal set close to failure my quads are fine and it’s more those other 3 that give way, making me more unstable at/close to failure
  • _John_
    Options
    Chest/shoulders/arms today

3x10 barbell incline press
    3x12 cable lateral raises
    3x10 weighted dips
    2x superset of bicep curls and seated skullcrushers
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Rowed bow in the double this morning for the usual almost 7k. Tonight was a moonlight row at the club, but I ended up as coxswain in a quad . . . not any kind of workout, just lots of shouting and a little steering. ;) Beautiful evening on the river!
  • TooTiredToKnit
    TooTiredToKnit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't like structured workouts. I prefer to get the exercise in fun or productive ways. We moved a few months ago and still have a lot of boxes to unpack and things to move upstairs from the basement. The house can always be cleaner, the gardens tended, the yard mowed, the porch swept. Our mailbox is at least 150 feet (46 m) from the house up a pretty good grade. When I was younger and didn't have back problems, I enjoyed roller blading, cycling, and just dancing around the house while I cleaned. I found out yesterday that a 150 lb person burns 90-100 calories just standing for 1 hour. So, get a standing desk at work.
  • williamsonmj1
    Options
    45 minute incline treadmill walk.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    2.5 mile hilly trail run yesterday. New bike wheel due back at the shop on Tuesday, so I can get back to some cycling as well.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Upper Hypertrophy

Incline Bench Press 4x12
    Machine Fly 3x12
    BB Row 4x10
    Pulldown 3x10
    Machine Lateral Raise 4x12
    Machine Curl <superset> Machine Pushdown 3x10
    Perloff Press 3x15sec