12-5 7k easy
    12-6 7k recovery
    12-7 rest
    12-8 7k easy
    12-9 10.5k easy
    12-10 7k recovery

December Total: 63k
    December Goal: 100k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races.
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k.
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year.

Nice recovery run today. Warmed up all the way to 28 degrees F, so I didn't have to wear long sleeves under my hoodie. Cloudy with no wind to speak of.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    12/1-9 Totals: bike 41 minutes, run 39.1km

12/10 - run 16.5k

Just over 10 miles today in the rain. That counts as a long run for me. I didn't take gloves and really regretted it in the second half of the run, but had a dry hat in my vest-thingy that helped.

I spend too much time with y'all, apparently. Used my free time yesterday to compare 50k training plans. I'm still undecided about my future running plans, but I do know that the plans all scare me and I need a better "why" than "I love running" if I'm going to do something like that. Regardless, I have a plan, and a backup plan, and the option to bail completely if I so choose. For now, I just need to finish the HM plan I'm on :smile:

exercise.png

@polskagirl01 if you have a marathon plan you like you can just use that. Just do your long run on trails. If you can do a mid week run on trails as well, that's even better. Make sure you do hill work every other week.

I would suggest you finish the half plan before starting a new plan. :) Also see if you can find a good 1/2 to run in. Then move on to finding a Marathon or 50k to target. There is something to be said for completing a plan before starting the next. It sets you up mentally better for finishing the next plan.

you being the voice of reason... :wink:

The VOICE sure... just do not pull back the curtain and look at what I actually do. ;)

i'm pretty sure that's how it is for most runners.
    :blush:
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    This weekend I got to run 9.96 miles in the Reindeer Run Yukon Challenge - a 10K at 8AM followed by a 5K at 9:30. Somewhat to my surprise, I hit another PR in the 10K, my third race and third PR at that distance, even though course conditions have been worse in each race as well. My 5K time was officially my slowest, but seeing how I spent the first mile and a half dodging walkers, that’s to be expected. I still managed negative splits and my last three miles were all under 10’30”, which is honestly better than I expected.

YAY!!! Well done!!!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the kudos for DH. I passed them on inviting him post a race report but hes kind of in that post race disappointed slump. I'm sure he'll shake it, lotta miles to process there.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq Well done!!! A highly efficient way of getting two races done in a single day -- with a PR to boot!!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    We are scheduled to have above seasonal temps all week and nothing seems to be hurting anymore. Trying to figure out a running schedule. I will run tonight.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

12/10 - run 16.5k

Just over 10 miles today in the rain. That counts as a long run for me. I didn't take gloves and really regretted it in the second half of the run, but had a dry hat in my vest-thingy that helped.

I spend too much time with y'all, apparently. Used my free time yesterday to compare 50k training plans. I'm still undecided about my future running plans, but I do know that the plans all scare me and I need a better "why" than "I love running" if I'm going to do something like that. Regardless, I have a plan, and a backup plan, and the option to bail completely if I so choose. For now, I just need to finish the HM plan I'm on :smile:

exercise.png

@polskagirl01 if you have a marathon plan you like you can just use that. Just do your long run on trails. If you can do a mid week run on trails as well, that's even better. Make sure you do hill work every other week.

I would suggest you finish the half plan before starting a new plan. :) Also see if you can find a good 1/2 to run in. Then move on to finding a Marathon or 50k to target. There is something to be said for completing a plan before starting the next. It sets you up mentally better for finishing the next plan.

That's my plan. I'll finish Hal Higdon's Intermediate HM plan in a few weeks, then start his 50k plan, which starts with very similar mileage to the final few weeks of my current plan, and mirrors one of his Intermediate Marathon plans for the first 18 weeks. It was the most aggressive 50k plan I looked at, BUT if I switch one medium run per week for an easy cycling day and don't make up the run distance, it makes it comparable to other plans I was looking at. After the marathon though, he has more weeks of training than the 4 I'd have if I do this, so I'd see how I'm feeling and decide which weeks to remove. Other plans had marathon runs 4 weeks out, so it seems reasonable, as long as I treat the marathon as a supported training run.

Hills and trails will definitely be part of the program, and I'll continue my light strength/core stuff.

The backup plan is an UnderArmour plan with lower mileage requirements. I could switch over to this plan at any time if this one becomes too much.

The backup-backup plan is knowing I don't have to do this if the training starts to burn me out on running. Last year's 2-marathons-4-months-apart was hard but doable, and by the end I was ready to take a break and hang out at HM level for a while. And I had a great recovery and consistent running, until I messed things up swimming farther than I should have and got injured. Lesson learned.

ETA: The Marathon would be in May, and the 50k 4 weeks later (that one I mentioned a while back, in PA).
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    12/1 4.37 Saguaro 7k
    12/2 8 Hot Chocolate 15k

12/3 0 cold/tired/depression/grieving
    12/4 2 & upper body strength
    12/5 3.49 Tempo (10:00 min goal)
    12/6 0 rest day
    12/7 0 bad day
    12/8 3.52 12ks of Christmas 6k
    12/9 9

12/10 3.15 easy

Total 33.53 out of 100

Nothing to report today. It was an uneventful run. I attempted to do some "action" selfies. The results are on Instagram. LOL
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,973 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Good god, I took my 11 year old son on a run with me yesterday (we ran about 2.5 miles) and he smoked me and left me behind in the dust! I was running an 11.30/mile pace and I would guess he was going like 8-9 min/miles. He would run so far ahead, then turn around and run back to me, then run up ahead etc. :D Way to make old mom feel lame. We are running a 5k together next weekend for Christmas, I was hoping to use him as an excuse to take a lot of walking breaks but it looks like that's not going to be the case. I am 6 weeks pregnant and utterly exhausted. Have only run 2x in the last two weeks. :/
    Congratulations on the new baby! Too bad you can't use your son as an excuse to walk. They have so much energy at that age!

@MegaMooseEsq Congratulations on your PR and running a 5K afterwards is amazing. Love the medal.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

12/10 - run 16.5k

exercise.png

That's my plan. I'll finish Hal Higdon's Intermediate HM plan in a few weeks, then start his 50k plan, which starts with very similar mileage to the final few weeks of my current plan, and mirrors one of his Intermediate Marathon plans for the first 18 weeks. It was the most aggressive 50k plan I looked at, BUT if I switch one medium run per week for an easy cycling day and don't make up the run distance, it makes it comparable to other plans I was looking at. After the marathon though, he has more weeks of training than the 4 I'd have if I do this, so I'd see how I'm feeling and decide which weeks to remove. Other plans had marathon runs 4 weeks out, so it seems reasonable, as long as I treat the marathon as a supported training run.

Hills and trails will definitely be part of the program, and I'll continue my light strength/core stuff.

The backup plan is an UnderArmour plan with lower mileage requirements. I could switch over to this plan at any time if this one becomes too much.

The backup-backup plan is knowing I don't have to do this if the training starts to burn me out on running. Last year's 2-marathons-4-months-apart was hard but doable, and by the end I was ready to take a break and hang out at HM level for a while. And I had a great recovery and consistent running, until I messed things up swimming farther than I should have and got injured. Lesson learned.

ETA: The Marathon would be in May, and the 50k 4 weeks later (that one I mentioned a while back, in PA).

Sounds like you are on a good track then, do that. I am kind of sort of following his 50k plan, but I plan to do much longer mid-week runs. So really only looking at his long run pattern.