December 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    that sounds like a fun group @eleanorhawkins
    we have a young lady who runs trail races barefoot and in traditional garb of her tribe.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,074 Member
    Options
    So I had a session with my trainer yesterday. She said she was "blown away" (her words) by how well I've been doing on my training and in the 2 years we have been working together, this is the most "in control" of myself she has seen me! I'm humbled.

Since my 15K is this weekend, I wanted to have another goal, something else go aim for so I don't just "whatever" it. I have done Gasparilla Distance Classic every year I have been running save 1 (recovery from surgery). So I'm DEFINITELY doing it in 2019. Was thinking of another 15k....but we decided that I'm going to do a half marathon! I'm nervous, but, like she said, I'm already doing 9 miles, I'll have 10 weeks to add another 4 onto it! She's excited, my BF is encouraging me, a couple friends at work are encouraging ("I've walked 2 halfs in 4 hours. I've seen you at races, you definitely got it! Go for it!") I have Hal Hidgon's HM novice plan in my calendar, as I've been using his 15K plan & it's been working well. When I started running, I NEVER thought I'd EVER say I'm going to do a HM, but here I am!

12/1 - 7.02
    12/4 - 4.02
    12/6 - 8.02
    12/8 - 2.10
    12/11 - 3.01 miles - 24.17 miles done

That's awesome!! Go for it! Can't wait to hear how it goes!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Congratulations! That's awesome.

@eleanorhawkins Love your racing story. As I play tennis, I am very impressed by the tennis racket guy!

I have decided to challenge myself to virtually run across Tennessee, my home state, in 2019. It's 499 miles from Bristol to Memphis, following the interstates. That should help motivate me to get ready for the 10K I want to run in August for my 60th birthday.

Let me know when you get to Memphis so I can meet you for a virtual afterparty!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    12/1 = sick
    12/2 = sick
    12/3 = sick / 3 miles
    12/4 = 10 miles
    12/5 = 3 miles
    12/6 = 3 miles
    12/7 = thunderstorms
    12/8 = 11 miles
    12/9 = 10 miles
    12/10 = stupid work
    12/11 = 3 miles

December goal miles = 150 / 43 miles to date

Upcoming Races:
    12/15 = Stars at Night Half
    1/26/19 = Miami Tropical 5K
    1/27/19 = Miami Marathon
    3/10/19 = ZOOMA half
    5/4/19 = Wisconsin Marathon (mittens challenge part 1)
    5/5/19 = Kalamazoo Marathon (mittens challenge part 2)
    Run the Year 2019. GO Team B! 1,550 yearly miles pledged. Join us : https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10710465/2019-run-the-year-group#latest
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    This is WAY off topic, but some of you have known me for quite a while and might care to hear this...

One of my books just hit #112 BEST SELLER on all of Amazon. I am the #1 Space Opera book, and the 14th most popular SciFi author on Amazon right now! It will not last, never does, competition is way too fierce, but, eh, I am here for now! :)

COngrats @PastorVincent! That's awesome :)
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    12-1 7k easy
    12-2 10.5k slow
    12-3 7k recovery
    12-4 rest
    12-5 7k easy
    12-6 7k recovery
    12-7 rest
    12-8 7k easy
    12-9 10.5k easy
    12-10 7k recovery
    12-11 rest

December Total: 63k
    December Goal: 100k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races.
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k.
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year.

Scheduled rest day today.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    So I had a session with my trainer yesterday. She said she was "blown away" (her words) by how well I've been doing on my training and in the 2 years we have been working together, this is the most "in control" of myself she has seen me! I'm humbled.

Since my 15K is this weekend, I wanted to have another goal, something else go aim for so I don't just "whatever" it. I have done Gasparilla Distance Classic every year I have been running save 1 (recovery from surgery). So I'm DEFINITELY doing it in 2019. Was thinking of another 15k....but we decided that I'm going to do a half marathon! I'm nervous, but, like she said, I'm already doing 9 miles, I'll have 10 weeks to add another 4 onto it! She's excited, my BF is encouraging me, a couple friends at work are encouraging ("I've walked 2 halfs in 4 hours. I've seen you at races, you definitely got it! Go for it!") I have Hal Hidgon's HM novice plan in my calendar, as I've been using his 15K plan & it's been working well. When I started running, I NEVER thought I'd EVER say I'm going to do a HM, but here I am!

Awesome stuff, go for it! For the record Hal's HM novice 1 just got me through my first and if I can do it, you definitely can!!!

@MegaMooseEsq if you're bored, churros/wheelchair team and racket man are next to each other about half way down page 3 here: http://zurichmaratonmalaga.es/fotos/

Racket man is INTENSE!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options

@MegaMooseEsq if you're bored, churros/wheelchair team and racket man are next to each other about half way down page 3 here: http://zurichmaratonmalaga.es/fotos/

Racket man is INTENSE!

ikr? That street is about half a kilometre from the finish line, so at that point he'd been juggling those rackets for almost 42 kilometres.....
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    Hey all, I need advice on whether to sign up for a race. I've been looking at a 10K in February in close driving distance to where I live. It's put on by a fitness organization in the suburbs as part of a 5K/10K/HM event. The website only has results for 2018 showing about 40-50 entrants per race. The fee for the 10K is $45, about comparable to the big races I've done this year. There are two reviews on BibRave indicating that 2016 was a bit of a mess, but at least one of the two enjoyed the race in 2015 and thought this might be a fluke. The only other convenient 10K race I've found for that time of year is put on by the chamber of commerce of a similarly sized suburb as part of an even smaller 5K/10K/polar plunge event with a similar entry fee and no reviews online that I could find. I'm finding races to be a good motivator for me but the reviews for that first one do concern me a bit. Has anyone had luck with these kind of events?
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq I don't have any personal knowledge of either race or the groups holding them, but if I were to pick, I'd pick the Half Fast by TriFitness because:
    • TriFitness is in the business of racing. They have a strong incentive to create a great race.
    • This race has been going on since at least 2011 (oldest reference I could find)
    • TriFitness put on 19 different race events in the last year, based on their FB page
    • The 10K is only one lap, vs two laps for the other race
    • It's 20 minutes closer to a random spot I picked on Calhoun, which I think is in your neighborhood, than the race in Elk River

There are two 5K races I run every year which could be comparable to the Elk River run. One is put on by our town, and one by our church. While I love the small crowds, the small town feel, and the community nature, they are not races I'd go out of my way for. I run these because they are just a couple miles from home, and put on by my town and my church.

The TriFitness race will likely be more competitive. The Elk River race will likely be more laid back and have more walkers, though with the 5K, most walkers will probably pick that one and with such a small field of runners, it's probably not an issue.

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Racket man is INTENSE!

ikr? That street is about half a kilometre from the finish line, so at that point he'd been juggling those rackets for almost 42 kilometres.....

I do not think I could stand in place and do that! seesh!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @MegaMooseEsq I don't have any personal knowledge of either race or the groups holding them, but if I were to pick, I'd pick the Half Fast by TriFitness because:
    • TriFitness is in the business of racing. They have a strong incentive to create a great race.
    • This race has been going on since at least 2011 (oldest reference I could find)
    • TriFitness put on 19 different race events in the last year, based on their FB page
    • The 10K is only one lap, vs two laps for the other race
    • It's 20 minutes closer to a random spot I picked on Calhoun, which I think is in your neighborhood, than the race in Elk River

There are two 5K races I run every year which could be comparable to the Elk River run. One is put on by our town, and one by our church. While I love the small crowds, the small town feel, and the community nature, they are not races I'd go out of my way for. I run these because they are just a couple miles from home, and put on by my town and my church.

The TriFitness race will likely be more competitive. The Elk River race will likely be more laid back and have more walkers, though with the 5K, most walkers will probably pick that one and with such a small field of runners, it's probably not an issue.

Nice search skills - I totally forgot to check to see if they had a Facebook page. You've got some good points, and unlike the one poor dude who apparently traveled five hours to get to the race that went sideways a couple of years ago, this one is pretty close to my backyard, so if nothing else, it will be an experience! I'll just make sure to check the route in advance just in case. :smiley:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Juha-Pekka Kulmala at the University of Helsinki in Finland and his colleagues studied the biomechanics of 12 healthy men aged 22 to 32 as they ran in two shoe types – a regular sneaker with 33 millimetres of cushioning under the heel and 22 millimetres under the forefoot, and a highly-cushioned “maximalist” sneaker with a 43-millimetre heel and 37-millimetre forefoot height.

The participants ran at two different speeds – 10 and 15 kilometres per hour – along a 30-metre platform that measured how hard their feet hit the ground. They also wore reflective stickers that allowed video cameras to capture their motion.

At both speeds, the runners landed on their feet harder when they wore the maximalist sneakers than the regular kind. The peak impact force was 6 per cent higher on average at the slower running speed and 11 per cent higher at the faster speed.

Leg stiffness
    The video analysis suggested this was because the runners bent their knees and ankles less when they wore the maximalist shoes, which caused their bodies to decelerate faster as they landed and placed extra stress on their legs.

Normally when we run, our legs act like springs that compress as the feet land and then release as they take off, says Kulmala. But because highly-cushioned shoes already compress under the feet, the legs don’t need to compress as much themselves, meaning they bend less at the knees and ankles, he says.

This extra leg stiffness and higher ground impact means that running in maximalist sneakers is likely to increase the risk of injuries, particularly stress fractures, says Kulmala. It also means that the common advice given to injury-prone runners to buy shoes with more padding may actually backfire, he says.

Thanks for that! Anyone that has dabbled in barefoot running has surely noticed this.

I've tried to incorporate more short barefoot runs for form. Nice that I'm (probably) working in the right direction.