Options

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    12/1-9 Totals: bike 41 minutes, run 39.1km

12/10 - run 16.5k

Just over 10 miles today in the rain. That counts as a long run for me. I didn't take gloves and really regretted it in the second half of the run, but had a dry hat in my vest-thingy that helped.

I spend too much time with y'all, apparently. Used my free time yesterday to compare 50k training plans. I'm still undecided about my future running plans, but I do know that the plans all scare me and I need a better "why" than "I love running" if I'm going to do something like that. Regardless, I have a plan, and a backup plan, and the option to bail completely if I so choose. For now, I just need to finish the HM plan I'm on :smile:

exercise.png

@polskagirl01 if you have a marathon plan you like you can just use that. Just do your long run on trails. If you can do a mid week run on trails as well, that's even better. Make sure you do hill work every other week.

I would suggest you finish the half plan before starting a new plan. :) Also see if you can find a good 1/2 to run in. Then move on to finding a Marathon or 50k to target. There is something to be said for completing a plan before starting the next. It sets you up mentally better for finishing the next plan.

That's my plan. I'll finish Hal Higdon's Intermediate HM plan in a few weeks, then start his 50k plan, which starts with very similar mileage to the final few weeks of my current plan, and mirrors one of his Intermediate Marathon plans for the first 18 weeks. It was the most aggressive 50k plan I looked at, BUT if I switch one medium run per week for an easy cycling day and don't make up the run distance, it makes it comparable to other plans I was looking at. After the marathon though, he has more weeks of training than the 4 I'd have if I do this, so I'd see how I'm feeling and decide which weeks to remove. Other plans had marathon runs 4 weeks out, so it seems reasonable, as long as I treat the marathon as a supported training run.

Hills and trails will definitely be part of the program, and I'll continue my light strength/core stuff.

The backup plan is an UnderArmour plan with lower mileage requirements. I could switch over to this plan at any time if this one becomes too much.

The backup-backup plan is knowing I don't have to do this if the training starts to burn me out on running. Last year's 2-marathons-4-months-apart was hard but doable, and by the end I was ready to take a break and hang out at HM level for a while. And I had a great recovery and consistent running, until I messed things up swimming farther than I should have and got injured. Lesson learned.

ETA: The Marathon would be in May, and the 50k 4 weeks later (that one I mentioned a while back, in PA).

Sounds like you are on a good track then, do that. I am kind of sort of following his 50k plan, but I plan to do much longer mid-week runs. So really only looking at his long run pattern.

All those 20-milers have me worried. But then, 50k. It's probably a solid plan and that's not a distance to be taken lightly.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent IMO icicles on eyebrows is about as hardcore/badass as you can get. My mind is boggling right now at the thought.

Was coming in here to moan about how much my knees hurt and about the fact that my idiotic husband, who just doesn't get it, spent all day yesterday bragging about how proud he is of me then told me today I need to run faster next time cause "even a fat guy beat me" and despite my pointing out that I deliberately started RIGHT AT THE BACK lectured me that I shouldn't have "let a fat guy overtake me".
    Meh, gonna go spit in his dinner now while I stand and cook it (on knees that are screaming) while muttering about how badly I need the run my legs aren't gonna let me have, meaning I have no calories left for anything but soup for dinner but still have to cook for THEM.

Heh, is this a post race grump by any chance?

I'm sure that's a thing. But on dinner, did you eat back all of your race calories?
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

I'm sure that's a thing. But on dinner, did you eat back all of your race calories?

Yesterday involved a lot of guestimates but given that I pretty much inhaled everything in sight that didn't move I imagine so lol

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins i'd spit in his dinner

my husband used to tell me that negative splits were bad because it meant i wasn't going fast enough
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

my husband used to tell me that negative splits were bad because it meant i wasn't going fast enough

Negative splits indicate you're getting stronger as the race goes on.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    mbaker566 wrote: »

Negative splits indicate you're getting stronger as the race goes on.

i know that. he didn't see it that way.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    My physio has just told me I can run again (well, he waited until the end of the appointment just in case I bolted out the door). And when he said run, it came with the proviso that I don't do any hills and that I walk 1-2 minutes in every 5. Better than nothing!!

*happydance*
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    12/1-9 Totals: bike 41 minutes, run 39.1km

12/10 - run 16.5k

Just over 10 miles today in the rain. That counts as a long run for me. I didn't take gloves and really regretted it in the second half of the run, but had a dry hat in my vest-thingy that helped.

I spend too much time with y'all, apparently. Used my free time yesterday to compare 50k training plans. I'm still undecided about my future running plans, but I do know that the plans all scare me and I need a better "why" than "I love running" if I'm going to do something like that. Regardless, I have a plan, and a backup plan, and the option to bail completely if I so choose. For now, I just need to finish the HM plan I'm on :smile:

exercise.png

@polskagirl01 if you have a marathon plan you like you can just use that. Just do your long run on trails. If you can do a mid week run on trails as well, that's even better. Make sure you do hill work every other week.

I would suggest you finish the half plan before starting a new plan. :) Also see if you can find a good 1/2 to run in. Then move on to finding a Marathon or 50k to target. There is something to be said for completing a plan before starting the next. It sets you up mentally better for finishing the next plan.

That's my plan. I'll finish Hal Higdon's Intermediate HM plan in a few weeks, then start his 50k plan, which starts with very similar mileage to the final few weeks of my current plan, and mirrors one of his Intermediate Marathon plans for the first 18 weeks. It was the most aggressive 50k plan I looked at, BUT if I switch one medium run per week for an easy cycling day and don't make up the run distance, it makes it comparable to other plans I was looking at. After the marathon though, he has more weeks of training than the 4 I'd have if I do this, so I'd see how I'm feeling and decide which weeks to remove. Other plans had marathon runs 4 weeks out, so it seems reasonable, as long as I treat the marathon as a supported training run.

Hills and trails will definitely be part of the program, and I'll continue my light strength/core stuff.

The backup plan is an UnderArmour plan with lower mileage requirements. I could switch over to this plan at any time if this one becomes too much.

The backup-backup plan is knowing I don't have to do this if the training starts to burn me out on running. Last year's 2-marathons-4-months-apart was hard but doable, and by the end I was ready to take a break and hang out at HM level for a while. And I had a great recovery and consistent running, until I messed things up swimming farther than I should have and got injured. Lesson learned.

ETA: The Marathon would be in May, and the 50k 4 weeks later (that one I mentioned a while back, in PA).

Sounds like you are on a good track then, do that. I am kind of sort of following his 50k plan, but I plan to do much longer mid-week runs. So really only looking at his long run pattern.

All those 20-milers have me worried. But then, 50k. It's probably a solid plan and that's not a distance to be taken lightly.

They should give you pause. That is a very long way to run. Pending on your condition it could take you 4 or 5 hours to run it which will mean you need to think about fuel and possibly potty breaks. These are the kinds of things you need to have down pat when you start the 50k race, so these practice runs are great for that. You might fail one or two of them... but that is okay, stick to the plan and carry on. :)

The Hal plans are designed to get you to finish the race (meaning they are not competition plans). If you complete the plan you should be able to knock out the race. No plan is perfect for everyone, but Hal's are very well respected in general.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,037 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent How cold was it that you had icicles on your eyebrows? I just can't imagine.

@eleanorhawkins I hate spit, but I think I would spit in his dinner too! Does he run too or just make snide comments on how you do it?

@ContraryMaryMary Yeah! Glad you get to run again. Hopefully it won't be long before the walking requirement is dropped for you.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent IMO icicles on eyebrows is about as hardcore/badass as you can get. My mind is boggling right now at the thought.

Eh, wait till @7lenny7 sees this post and posts one of his ICE BEARD pictures. I had on a Baclava (face mask hood thing - not sure how to spell name!) so no ice on my mustache. I normally have sunglasses on to, more to keep the icy wind out of my eyes than anything else, but I forgot them this time. They probably would have prevented the icicles.

Heh, is this a post race grump by any chance?

Very well could be.

• PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent How cold was it that you had icicles on your eyebrows? I just can't imagine.

I did not look, guessing upper teens? Lowe 20s? Down by the river, there is often wind so I am sure that helped freeze the water on my eyebrows.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    2019 Run the Year update:

I am so excited to see so many commitments to run the entire year of 2019!

This is an excellent chance to find a support group (cuz running is cheaper than therapy- well not if you do it right. But youll be fit to out run any zombie. Unless it's fungal)!

We have 3 teams so far!!!! Who's been on the fence? Who is a part of team D with @kathie_blunt who is training for a half in May?

Yes, you have plenty of time to sign up. I think in 2016 when i did it (failed), registration was open through February.... (unless I'm wrong or it has since changed, then you better find that 25$ ASAP). :smiley:

Come on. Come join a team!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10710465/2019-run-the-year-group