January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    What are the benefits of using the Strava application?

None, unless you are into the social aspect of it. Otherwise, it is a fairly mediocre activity tracking program.

Genuine question: If Strava is "a fairly mediocre activity tracking program" with zero benefits at all (bar the social aspect), why would you pay for premium membership?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    garygse wrote: »
    What are the benefits of using the Strava application?

None, unless you are into the social aspect of it. Otherwise, it is a fairly mediocre activity tracking program.

Genuine question: If Strava is "a fairly mediocre activity tracking program" with zero benefits at all (bar the social aspect), why would you pay for premium membership?

Because I am of the opinion that I should pay for the software I use. There are several places that I pay for "premium" membership and use none of the for-pay features. I even pay for The Weather Channel App. I also donate monthly to the radio station (a commercial-free one) that I listen to regularly for the same reason.

That is just my philosophy. :smiley: I know some people can not afford to do this, and that is great they still have options. But I can, so I do. :)

That's pretty admirable, but to me, Strava makes its real money by selling the aggregate data they collect to the likes of city and urban planners (see Strava Metro) and presumably by other means of monetizing that big data. That means that by simply using their platform, you're already helping them make money without the need to subscribe. Just my opinion; as I said, your philosophy is pretty admirable.

Yep. Any time a "product" is free, it means you are the product. See Facebook, Twitter, and so on. :)

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    So I was cruising race calendars looking for dates of races I'm interested in, and I came across an interesting race name.

For those of you who aren't familiar with upstate NY geography, the Finger Lakes are a series of long, narrow lakes that run more or less north-south. They were formed by glacial action, and on a map they kind of sort of resemble fingers.

The largest of these, both by surface area and north-south length, is Seneca Lake. It's located centrally in the Finger Lakes district. So there's a race on May 4, 2019, at Seneca Lake State Park. It's called the "Middle Finger 5K."

I'm not all that fond of the 5K distance, but that's close enough to drive and I might like to run that one just for the name. It is just a week after the USATF Masters 10K, which is 13 days after Boston, so it might not fit in well for me physically to run it hard. Check packet pickup - local to me on Thursday. Check start time . . . 6 AM. After a 1.5 hour drive, and need to get there early. Bleah. I'd need to get up at 3 AM and eat breakfast on the road.

Guess I'll have to give that one the finger.

Just when I thought I'd seen just about everything...
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    @msarobix I don't think you're alone at all, I know lots of runners who don't race much if at all. And many who prefer to run on their own.

I personally love my running groups because that's the thing that got me into running. Having a commitment and meeting people were huge for me. I prefer to run at least a few days a week on my own, usually 4 or 5, but meet up for speedwork and long runs. I would not be motivated to do those on my own. It's a schedule hassle sometimes but the pay-off is big for me.

As for races, I have a love-hate relationship with them I would say. I am always anxious about them, often hate the logistics of getting up super early and getting to the start, and kind of hate running super hard (especially a 5k distance when I feel like I really need to push for speed). But I always love when they are done! :) I like seeing what I can accomplish, and how I've improved. Even the not so great ones, when I didn't do as well as I hoped I usually have enjoyed the atmosphere and just having done it. I am not ever going to win a race so it's not about competing or running with people (I prefer to run races by myself, trying to stay with anyone stresses me out). I do love the camaraderie of people before and after though. And I love the bling and visiting new places with the excuse of doing a race!

^this. We run for the same reasons @katharmonic
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp - I hadn't heard of the Middle Finger 5k. That's hilarious. I also give it a pass for the 6 am start time though. Also it's the day before the Mountain Goat so that's a no-go regardless.

@juliet3455 gave a nice succinct answer rather than my long ramble - but I agree on all points!

Still working on my January and 2019 goals but here are the races I have scheduled so far. I plan to do at least one race a month so need to fill in April and add the rest of the year:

1/13/2019 Chilly Chili 5k, Cazenovia, NY
    2/24/2019 Lake Effect Half Marathon, Syracuse NY
    3/10/2019 Greek Peak Winter Sprint Spartan Race, Cortland NY
    5/5/2019 Mountain Goat Run (10 mile), Syracuse NY
    6/2/2019 Niagara Falls Women's Half Marathon, Niagara Falls, ON