JUST FOR TODAY -- One Day at a Time .... Daily commitment thread for 2019

Replies

• bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Didn't manage to post yesterday - I worked from home which messes with my posting routine as normally I do it on the train. I planned to post when I woke up but then I went back to sleep... >:) I should really figure out a better routine for when I WFH....

Anyway have had a rubbish couple of days diet wise. Wednesday my boyfriend was away, and when I got home I found that he had left a large amount of cheese in the fridge, having not yet put the cheese locker into action. I was in a rather naughty mood, kind of a 'yay I have the flat to myself for the first time in ages I'm going to do whatever I want' mood. I also had the naughty thought 'this is the last time I can gorge on cheese before he instigates the cheese locker'. You can imagine what happened...

Yesterday I was doing really well, I worked from home and had stopped myself from snacking multiple times. I had a plan for what I was going to eat and was sticking to it. Then boyfriend gets home and I open the freezer to find that we didn't actually have the thing that I was going to cook. Or other available food. With online delivery not due for an hour.

So, we cracked open the Turkish delight and baileys to relieve our hunger while we waited for the online delivery. I can't really defend this, we could have just had a piece of toast. It wasn't necessary. And also, now I think about it, we could have had pasta with tuna, as we had both of those. I think we were just in the mood to relax and have more celebratory food as he'd been away for four days.

The online delivery then arrived, but by this point we were several Bailey's down and having fun so decided it would be much better to go out and have a burger. <Face palm>

I'm chuckling as I write this as the entire sequence is rather funny, except that really it isn't funny because if I keep doing this (and this sort of thing happens more often than it should) I will not reach my goal weight and also I will not do my health any good in the long run. Burgers and Baileys are not good for me!

So, I'm not going to beat myself up about this - what's the point? But equally, I'm going to make a commitment to NOT GO OUT FOR BURGERS UNLESS WE HAVE PLANNED TO DO SO. I like burgers. I am always going to eat burgers, on occasion. But, in future I will PLAN to eat burgers, at a time when I know I can fit them into my calories.

Right. New day! Commitments are:

- Log everything I eat
    - Stick to food plan
    - 3+ bottles water
    - Log sabotaging thoughts

- No eating whilst standing
    - Savour every bite
    - Monitor fullness after each meal
    - Differentiate between hunger, desire and craving
    - Give myself credit!

- 30+ minute lunch break
    - Meditate
    - Read Beck Diet Solution
    - Gratitude journal

2019 words: Mindful Moderation

Current calorie balance: millions in the red
  • ZizzyBumble
    ZizzyBumble Posts: 1,679 Member
    Friday 10 January

Log food accurately
    Stay in the green
    January water challenge
    Fitbit goals
    Plan for next week
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Didn't manage to post yesterday - I worked from home which messes with my posting routine as normally I do it on the train. I planned to post when I woke up but then I went back to sleep... >:) I should really figure out a better routine for when I WFH....

Anyway have had a rubbish couple of days diet wise. Wednesday my boyfriend was away, and when I got home I found that he had left a large amount of cheese in the fridge, having not yet put the cheese locker into action. I was in a rather naughty mood, kind of a 'yay I have the flat to myself for the first time in ages I'm going to do whatever I want' mood. I also had the naughty thought 'this is the last time I can gorge on cheese before he instigates the cheese locker'. You can imagine what happened...

Yesterday I was doing really well, I worked from home and had stopped myself from snacking multiple times. I had a plan for what I was going to eat and was sticking to it. Then boyfriend gets home and I open the freezer to find that we didn't actually have the thing that I was going to cook. Or other available food. With online delivery not due for an hour.

So, we cracked open the Turkish delight and baileys to relieve our hunger while we waited for the online delivery. I can't really defend this, we could have just had a piece of toast. It wasn't necessary. And also, now I think about it, we could have had pasta with tuna, as we had both of those. I think we were just in the mood to relax and have more celebratory food as he'd been away for four days.

The online delivery then arrived, but by this point we were several Bailey's down and having fun so decided it would be much better to go out and have a burger. <Face palm>

I'm chuckling as I write this as the entire sequence is rather funny, except that really it isn't funny because if I keep doing this (and this sort of thing happens more often than it should) I will not reach my goal weight and also I will not do my health any good in the long run. Burgers and Baileys are not good for me!

So, I'm not going to beat myself up about this - what's the point? But equally, I'm going to make a commitment to NOT GO OUT FOR BURGERS UNLESS WE HAVE PLANNED TO DO SO. I like burgers. I am always going to eat burgers, on occasion. But, in future I will PLAN to eat burgers, at a time when I know I can fit them into my calories.

Right. New day! Commitments are:

- Log everything I eat
    - Stick to food plan
    - 3+ bottles water
    - Log sabotaging thoughts

- No eating whilst standing
    - Savour every bite
    - Monitor fullness after each meal
    - Differentiate between hunger, desire and craving
    - Give myself credit!

- 30+ minute lunch break
    - Meditate
    - Read Beck Diet Solution
    - Gratitude journal

2019 words: Mindful Moderation

Current calorie balance: millions in the red

Agree you def shouldn’t beat yourself up! Life happens, and your evening actually sounds really fun 😉

All will be well, especially now the cheese is on lockdown 🤣

X
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,064 Member
    LOL @slittlemeister you're like a heroin addict for cheese!
  • Sirene58
    Sirene58 Posts: 7 Member
    This thread is a great idea. I started my regime on Monday7th and it's going quite well so far. The general plan is to follow the Michael Mosely 5:2 where I eat 800 calories on 2 days a week, Mediterranean style on the other days. I'm also walking at least 10000 steps a day (working in the garden, mostly) and a couple of swims per week (2km yesterday evening). Also, no alcohol during the week. I really like the idea of putting up daily goals so here goes;

Today is a non fast day but I'm going to keep it low fat and below 2000 calories.
    Meet step target on fitbit
    Drink enough water (2 litres). I'm really bad at this in the winter but I'll make the effort.
    We're going out for lunch. Make sensible choices.
    According to my rules, I can drink alcohol today but no more than 2 small glasses of wine.
    Be in bed before 11pm.
  • Fitatelo
    Fitatelo Posts: 180 Member
    January 10th:
    -Get to the gym 👍
    -Stay in the green 👎
    -Walk 30 mins 👍
    -4 mins of planks 👎
    -Find new healthy recipes 👍

January 11th:
    -Be kind to myself
    -Stay in the green
    -4 mins of planks
    -Journal
  • Elbee1
    Elbee1 Posts: 2,023 Member
    Really meant to keep up with this. I get frustrated when I can't log my food, etc. I have been having trouble with the website and can't seem to post things into my food diary.
    I've not done well the last couple days. Good during the day but blowing it at dinner.
    Will try harder to make wiser choices
  • awhit4842
    awhit4842 Posts: 236 Member
    JFT Thursday
    1. Log all food 👍
    2. Drink 150oz water👍
    3. Go to gym even though have meeting during my normal gym class time👍
    4. Meditate twice👎 only did once

JFT Friday
    1. Log all food. Stay in the green
    2. Spin class
    3. Meditate once
    4. Do not eat any chips at home
    5. Drink 150oz water

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Checking in from Thursday
    1. Therapy exercises. Feed cats. Meds. Tea! Log 1 item. Post JFT by 7 AM. Duo. Take J work.
    2. Before school: Update class websites. Matilda to 604. Update contact list for 4th block. VITAL: CHECK ON LAPTOPS.
    3. Class 1-2: Touch on WLGs. Subject/object pronouns. Notes on dialogue formatting. Characterization work. HW: Challenge book choices 1.
    4. Planning: A - Update unit 1 plans and print. B - Discussion comments. C - Two discussion comments. Meet with J in 802. New Jim Crow 49-96. Blog post. Visit B. Check on PF classroom.
    5. Class 4: Touch on WLGs. Grammar review: infinitives. Notes: plot structure, highlighting conflict. Finish MDG HW: Good story; infinitives.
    6. Review assessments. What is my purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    7. Zumba 5:30. Put the rest of the laundry away. Prep cheese. Cook rice. Prep saag portions.
    8. Quiz. Update Goodreads Friday. Write out References for reflection essay.
    9. Therapy exercises. Prep Fri lunch: Saag. Chop celery. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 9:45; devices off by 10:00; alarm set for 5:50.

JFT Friday
    1. Therapy exercises. Feed cats. Meds. Tea! Log 1 item. Post JFT by 7 AM.
    2. Before school: Update class websites. Matilda to 604. Check on PF classroom.
    3. Class 1-2: Touch on WLGs. Return work; set up binders. Subject/object pronouns. Freytag's Pyramid. Notes on dialogue formatting. Characterization work. HW: Get a challenge book.
    4. Planning: Pre - Duo. A - FINISH ALL PLANS AND PRINT. B - Two discussion comments. C - Update contact list for 4th block. Email parents. Meet with J in 802. New Jim Crow 49-96. Blog post. Visit B.
    5. Class 4: Touch on WLGs. Return work; set up binders. Provide binders for any who don't have. Grammar practice: infinitives. Notes: plot structure, highlighting conflict. Finish MDG HW: Good story; infinitives.
    6. Review assessments. What is my purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    7. Grade. Finish and enter all classwork. Return Monday. Read NJC. Update Goodreads. Quiz.
    8. Therapy exercises. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. Thrift store Saturday? Call parents.

Scale goals
    End of 2017: 174.6
    End of 2018: 189.2
    Today: 191.8

Ongoing plans/ideas behind the cut
    1. Go to Mac store and see if they can retrieve the files off the iMac. Look for an "ugly Christmas sweater" and a long-haired doll at thrift stores. Practice French braiding.
    2. Create vocabulary lists for each unit that come from the texts used: Animal Farm, Julius Caesar, Wes Moore, I Am Malala. Find a way to incorporate changing words from one part of speech to another. Students need to know how to review multiple sources and synthesize information in order to draw a conclusion. Regular: needs practice with quoting & paraphrasing sources, identifying claims that would need support, use of last names for reference, and capitalization practice (common/proper nouns, titles). Honors: practice subject/object pronouns (my friend and I / my friend and me).
    3. Connect standards to assignments and include them in titles and in gradebook and lessons.
    4. Develop writing mini-unit. Review scholarly research on 5PE. (I think I can have this as an intro to the research unit so that they also get exposure to how quotes are integrated and cited.) Parallel structure; use of emotional language, specific detail. Use "Write About a Pebble" lesson from Atwell. Use the UDHR and the Declaration of Independence to study paraphrasing; use that to front-load Machiavelli and how to deal with challenging texts.
    5. Write next blog post. Comment on 3 posts each week -Tu Th Sun? Barn order: stapler, pencil sharpener
    6. Keep track of medical stuffs. Dentist? Also Feb 7 9:30 w Ac Int. Sub already set up. Apr 22 McC. Need sub. Call to set up checkups with Dass (October). GET MAGAZINES FOR COLLAGES FROM DOCTORS.
    7. Take recycling to center. Wash car.
    8. Do research on characteristics: curiosity, persistence, resilience, creativity, responsibility, optimism, courage, integrity, authenticity, leadership, self-awareness, humility, compassion - others? Can poetry unit be condensed?
    9. Go to used bookstore and look for Design for How People Learn (Julie Dirksen), On Writing (Stephen King), Dying for a Paycheck (Robin Hardman), The Prince (tr. Tim Parks, Russell Price, Harvey Mansfield, or Robert Adams). Check on alternate translations for The Prince.

I have to sell tickets for tonight's basketball game, so rather than driving 40 minutes home, 40 minutes back, and then 40 minutes home again, I'm just going to stay through. Which probably means going out for dinner. I need to remember how useless I feel this morning after I stayed home from the Y yesterday because I was tired. It's not like I got anything done for my master's class. Didn't get any laundry put away. Didn't do dishes or any prep for today's meals. Didn't get any papers graded or lessons written. I did get to bed a little early, but not much. Mostly I vegged out and watched re-runs.

While it's important not to be too hard on yourself, to be able to forgive yourself... it can be hard to find the balance between "forgiving yourself" and "accepting defeat."
  • maryrobinson40
    maryrobinson40 Posts: 1,109 Member
    GOOD MORNING GO GETTERS!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE BIRTHDAY CELEBRATORS!!!
    HUGS FOR EVERYBODY WHO WANTS ONE! I LOVE YA!!!

HERE GOES MARY😁👏👏👏👏

JFT
    UP AT 6
    TAKING MEDS NOW AT 6:50
    Watching the morning news... It's National Milk Day... I'm in for whole white milk and chocolate milk. Maybe 2%, but don't like it lower than that.
    About to Read! Read! Read! At least until 7:30... Be back to post later
  • sarah74_vt
    sarah74_vt Posts: 368 Member
    JFY (Thursday, 1/10/19)
    1. Log all my food :)
    2. Shovel the driveway :)
    3. Stay "in the green" with my calorie intake :)
    4. Drink 8 glasses of water before having my Diet Coke :)
    5. Go to the gym :)

JFT (Friday, 1/11/19)
    1. Log all my food
    2. Bring son to his dr's appointment
    3. Stay "in the green" with my calorie intake
    4. Drink 8 glasses of water before having my Diet Coke
  • alexhayg
    alexhayg Posts: 96 Member
    Check in from JFT - Thursday 10th January

Full of cold so need to make sure I don't fall off my healthy lifestyle just because I feel rotten.

- Remember that good nutritious food will make me feel better :)
    - Plan my evening meal so I am less likely to eat what is 'easy' rather that what is good for me :)
    - Drink healthy teas instead of coffee (stuck to my one cup of coffee and had peppermint tea and green tea) :)
    - Drink plenty of water (Had well over my 2ltrs for the day) :)

JFT Friday 11th January 2019

Still struggling with my head cold so trying to find the energy to complete my workout tonight

- Stick to my planned meals for the day. Struggling to eat everything because I feel quite unwell but know I need the calories. Healthy food = healthy body
    - try my best to do my workout this evening
    - Not put too much pressure on myself. Its a marathon not a sprint
  • kkcruickshank
    kkcruickshank Posts: 59 Member
    Just for today - I will do a longer workout at the gym and do more weights!
  • pam46815
    pam46815 Posts: 20 Member
    I'm just getting started. I've managed to shine my sink all week and make my bed every morning! :)
    AJB1014 wrote: »
    pam46815 wrote: »
    my goals for today yesterday...
    * track everything 💜✅
    * choose one app and stick with it💜✅
    * Get back to the gym💜💜✅
    * Get back to flylady💜✅
    * Participate✅💜

Love this.... I used to be part of a weight watchers thread very similar to this. Break in it down to Daily Goals makes it do able....

my goals for today
    * track everything
    * continue with MFP
    * Exercise
    * keep on with flylady
    * Participate
    * Drink enough water

I recently discovered Flylady! I love her!

Ooooh I just had a look! Love that her ideas revolve around slowly building habits, one day at a time, too! I think I'll start her Beginner Baby steps routine - have you done this? Any insights? Thanks :)

• jaysgirl092516
    jaysgirl092516 Posts: 18 Member
    Still not smoking :) , eating healthy but still need to balance out my carb intake; managed to NOT have the bad snacks last night (woohoo). I need to continue to break that habit. I also need to eat more protein. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know.

Had an appointment with the Ortho doctor yesterday morning. Unfortunately, I have DDD and cervical stenosis throughout my neck. :s Time to start epidural injections once again next week; which, will most likely lead to another ACDF surgery down the line. I am following in my mother's footsteps.
  • jaysgirl092516
    jaysgirl092516 Posts: 18 Member
    @pam46815 - I am also curious as to how to reply to someone's post.
  • toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    Elbee1 wrote: »
    Really meant to keep up with this. I get frustrated when I can't log my food, etc. I have been having trouble with the website and can't seem to post things into my food diary.
    I've not done well the last couple days. Good during the day but blowing it at dinner.
    Will try harder to make wiser choices

Several folks I know have had trouble with MFP food diary's search. It has been sporadic this week. Someone suggested it is due to the influx of resolution makers!!! :D Don't give up on it...I've been able to use it off and on this week. But I want to also tell you that I do best at night when I have the meal and snack planned out ahead of time. It strengthens my resolve.

Remember "progress, not perfection!"
    Peace and joy!
  • toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    edited January 2019
    @AJB1014 Recipe looks great, I'm going to try ~ and thanks for the prep tips... I hate transferring pots, the simpler the better for me.

I'm sharing a fruit salad recipe I made for the first time for today's office food day. Got good reviews from co-workers, and I love it. No heavy a/k/a fattening dressing.

https://therecipecritic.com/best-winter-fruit-salad/?fbclid=IwAR1PBjIGc6nu9QFm8f8E4MnbJnRONM0JvK461TSjNf9-T375q9Ku_hltsCk

Oh my goodness. That looks so great. It will be lovely for breakfast! Thanks for sharing it.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,728 Member
    JFT - ThursdayJanuary 10th
    2L of water - :/ Only 1.5 I think, I am having two coffees most days since I lowered the calorie count on the cream so it is affecting my water intake. Also, we need to buy water and since the car is acting up I have no way to go get it until tomorrow.
    Calories in Green - :) I had 40+ left
    Walk 1 Mile - >:) No, but I danced a bit while working on my projects, did lots of moving and cleaning
    5 Fruits and Veggies - 3/5
    Only 1 evening Snack - :)
    5 something at bathroom break - >:) I think I'm going to make something to post on my mirror.... hubby will laugh, but if it works why not?
    Write in Journal - :)
    Do not disappoint myself, be conscious of my choices. - :)

JFT - Friday January 11th
    2L of water
    Calories in Green
    Walk 1 Mile
    5 Fruits and Veggies
    Only 1 evening Snack
    5 something at bathroom break
    Write in Journal
    Do not disappoint myself, be conscious of my choices.

Determined!

@slittlemeister - That sounds like a fun evening, we have those burgers too often as well. Hubby could eat them or pizza everyday. I find I don't feel as well when I eat that too much anymore. I guess there's something to be said for getting older.

@Elbee1 - I have read a lot of people having issues with MFP this week. They are clearing their cache on their computer to get it to work.

@jaysgirl092516 - to respond to a post you can type the person's screen name exactly with the @ symbol in front of it or you can hit quote at the bottom of the post they wrote you want to respond to. If you hit quote it keeps the conversation together as it shows their post as well. You just have to scroll down past the last quote bracket to start writing yours. I don't know why MFP can't upgrade their message boards the technology is obviously out there.

@Bex953172 - Happy birthday to Saskia!

My chest is hurting again today, @AJB1014 you suggested Naxprone? the other day what is that is it Aleeve? I would like to try something besides the Advil. I do have what you named, I can't remember the name of it again. I don't know how you remember it!

Yesterday I cleaned out some of my craft supplies and took pictures so I can sell a bunch. I have been scrapbooking since 2009 and have sold off lots over the last couple of years. I decided to get rid of even more so I have more room for stuff to use with the Cricut!

Hubby just woke up so I'm going to get off here. Later all!
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    JFT - ThursdayJanuary 10th
    2L of water - :/ Only 1.5 I think, I am having two coffees most days since I lowered the calorie count on the cream so it is affecting my water intake. Also, we need to buy water and since the car is acting up I have no way to go get it until tomorrow.
    Calories in Green - :) I had 40+ left
    Walk 1 Mile - >:) No, but I danced a bit while working on my projects, did lots of moving and cleaning
    5 Fruits and Veggies - 3/5
    Only 1 evening Snack - :)
    5 something at bathroom break - >:) I think I'm going to make something to post on my mirror.... hubby will laugh, but if it works why not?
    Write in Journal - :)
    Do not disappoint myself, be conscious of my choices. - :)

JFT - Friday January 11th
    2L of water
    Calories in Green
    Walk 1 Mile
    5 Fruits and Veggies
    Only 1 evening Snack
    5 something at bathroom break
    Write in Journal
    Do not disappoint myself, be conscious of my choices.

Determined!

@slittlemeister - That sounds like a fun evening, we have those burgers too often as well. Hubby could eat them or pizza everyday. I find I don't feel as well when I eat that too much anymore. I guess there's something to be said for getting older.

@Elbee1 - I have read a lot of people having issues with MFP this week. They are clearing their cache on their computer to get it to work.

@jaysgirl092516 - to respond to a post you can type the person's screen name exactly with the @ symbol in front of it or you can hit quote at the bottom of the post they wrote you want to respond to. If you hit quote it keeps the conversation together as it shows their post as well. You just have to scroll down past the last quote bracket to start writing yours. I don't know why MFP can't upgrade their message boards the technology is obviously out there.

@Bex953172 - Happy birthday to Saskia!

My chest is hurting again today, @AJB1014 you suggested Naxprone? the other day what is that is it Aleeve? I would like to try something besides the Advil. I do have what you named, I can't remember the name of it again. I don't know how you remember it!

Yesterday I cleaned out some of my craft supplies and took pictures so I can sell a bunch. I have been scrapbooking since 2009 and have sold off lots over the last couple of years. I decided to get rid of even more so I have more room for stuff to use with the Cricut!

Hubby just woke up so I'm going to get off here. Later all!

I feel so bad you're still hurting!!! :( Yes, Aleve! And when I first had the costochondroiditis I thought I was having a heart attack and ended up at the ER, so its vivid in my memory haha. My mom is a Physical Therapist so I've gotten lots of insight from her over the years - of course any ailment can be cured by icing it in her opinion hahaha she tormented me with some of my injuries over the years. I broke my finger once and she made me stick my hand in a bucket of ice water for 20 minutes I thought I was gonna die at the time - but it did help the healing immensely.