JUST FOR TODAY -- One Day at a Time .... Daily commitment thread for 2019

Options

Replies

• roundbutsound
    roundbutsound Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Didn't quite manage all my steps yesterday but I did the 30 minute exercise dvd and drank the litre of water in addition to my normal drinks. So today, I have stripped all the bedding, I'm going to turn the mattress, move the bed and, of course, do all the associated hoovering and dusting (there will be a lot :/ ) then remaking the bed. Not quite formal exercise but it will be a serious workout. Later I will walk part of the way into town, about 6500 steps, I'm going to a class to learn how to do basic alterations to sewing patterns.

Well, had a good day, did all my jobs and I've managed 10,194 steps far more than I expected. Tomorrow is a new day so I'll set my goals in the morning 😀
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    @cschmitz110515 - does the company close and make you use personal days or do you have a choice? Either way it’s not the best way to use personal days.

@PackerFanInGB - have an absolutely wonderful trip!!!!!’
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    I am so incredibly happy, it finally warmed up enough to get the battery installed and it worked!!!!!
    One thing at a time, next big thing is that phone call!
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,474 Member
    Options
    @cschmitz110515 - does the company close and make you use personal days or do you have a choice? Either way it’s not the best way to use personal days.

Short answer: Yes (no choice). Depts. close and we must use PTO if we want to get paid for that time. What?!?!? I'm salaried! Don't even get me started ~ it is what it is. I'm 4-5 years away from retirement, I only work 37.5 hours per week (REALLY), other benefits far outweigh this absurdity, and it doesn't occur that often (just recently). :p
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    @clicketykeys I feel your pain. I put my makeup on on the train and whilst it only takes me 3 minutes I resent every second of it! I also resent the double standards. When I work from home I stay in my pyjamas, don't put any makeup on, and sometimes don't even clean my teeth :D:D:D:D:D:D:D (I probably shouldn't admit that, it's a bit gross...)

@snowflake1968 thanks for the well wishes - you are right about too many stressful days! Sending well wishes back at you for your application too, I have everything crossed for you.

@cschmitz110515 I'm assuming working from home isn't an option....? That's a shame if so. But, good that in other respects your job treats you well!

@packerfaningb Have a glorious, relaxing and rejuvenating vacation!
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,315 Member
    Options
    Gotta fix my calories and sleep schedule. I’m so tired it physically hurts. Ughhh. Another few hours of commitments. I could cry.

Definitely gotta get to bed by 10:00. Tomorrow is a rest day from the gym so I can sleep past 4:00.

My breakfast and lunch are pretty much the same day to day, but the light dinner last night just didn’t cut it. I don’t want to go overboard this evening because I weigh in tomorrow. I know it’s silly, but I don’t want to see water retention and have a heavy laden stomach when I weigh.
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @clicketkeys i also have a burning rage at the expectations of women in the workplace to be taken seriously. The time (and money!) It takes I would so much rather use on things I truly cared about! Solidarity!

@Snowflake1968 great news about the car battery! Hoping all these positive steps are leading you closer and closer yo that dream job!!! Your grandparents picture is amazing! I feel like I see you when im lookong at your grandma.

@HEGoddard0928 welcome back! Ive been on my own hiatus eating all the things and stressing since your return, but I missed you and I am so glad to see you back again. I'm really sorry life has been tough, im wishing you brighter days!!

@PackerFanInGB happy trails!!! Enjoy, you deserve it!!

@maryrobinson40 love you!!!
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,070 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,
    Not really much to update om, not doi g great with the goals but i think thats justbecause i have lots to sort out, finding a school place is proving difficult.

Anyway, a couple of people asked questions on here, but sorry cant remember who it was! But here we go

Quoting people
    To quote someones whole post, simply click the "quote" button under their post. It will automatically show up in this comment box. Make sure you reply after the coding otherwise it will just show in the grey box of the quote. However if theres something in a quote that you specifically want to reply on then i usually bold that text [ b ] *text* [ / b ] (no spaces) and then comment after the end of the quote [ / quote ]

Also, shoutouts, so if you want to speak to someone directly but not from a quote then you simply need @ and then their username so @Bex953172 and MFP will automatically link it and said person will het a notification that someone has "mentioned you"

Being in the green
    This refers to your calories and the layout of MFP.

So for example, when to start your day, your calorie counter is 1200 calories, and the text is green, however if i eat more than that so for example 1300 calories, the text will be red and say -100.
    This came about by using positive wording, by saying "im going to stick to my calorie limit" makes it slightly negative because its as if you have restrictions, but "being in the green" has a more positive spin on it..

Hope this helps!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    @AJB1014, @bookmeister86, @Snowflake1968 - Agreed on the double standard for gender presentation, but in ADDITION it just grinds my gears that thin, lightweight cotton is "professional" but heavier, tightly-woven cotton is "casual." Especially if it's (GASP!) blue.

Ideologically, the ONLY thing that should be required for professional dress is SAFETY. Jeans should be perfectly fine to wear to just about ANY job. I'm cool with making an exception for surgical scrubs and other such gear, because again, SAFETY. I legitimately had a supervisor ask, "if you went to the doctor's office, and he came in wearing jeans and a Hawaiian-print shirt, what would you think?" and my thoughts were (1) that he likes wearing jeans and Hawaiian-print shirts, and (2) why are you assuming my doctor would be a dude?

However, while speaking the truth is a lovely ideal, it doesn't always buy food. So I kept my mouth shut and just smiled apologetically and ducked my head.

From time to time this same supervisor will compliment my outfit now that I'm successfully compliant. I smile and say "thanks!" but I'm thinking obviously I already got the message, so please quit trying so hard.
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,474 Member
    Options
    @cschmitz110515 I'm assuming working from home isn't an option....? That's a shame if so. But, good that in other respects your job treats you well!

Working from home isn't an option with this employer, and I'm fine with that. When I had a corporate job in financial services, I was originally on the road a lot. Later, I occasionally worked from home. Throughout, I would put in 50, 60, 70 or more hours per week. At first I loved it, but not a good work/life balance, and it burnt me out.

Btw, my profession is internal audit, and I currently work for a Native American sovereign nation. Basically, a government running a bunch of small businesses. Quite a shift from banking!

When I started this job four years ago and told a former manager that I worked 37.5 hours per week, she laughed and said, "That's semi-retired!" I felt the same! Another benefit: my drive from home to office is 9-10 minutes. Allows me to go home for lunch so I can see hubby on weekdays, since he works 2nd shift hours.
  • maryrobinson40
    maryrobinson40 Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    @Bex953172 I sent you a message to your inbox. Love you!
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    @snowflake1968 thank you! The class assembly is a performance by the kids to the school and their parents to show what they have been learning over the term. So they need to remember lines, act, use props etc. V hard work with 5 and 6 year olds but they did really well and the parents loved it. V relieved! Happy for you that the battery is in and things sound like they’re improving. So so hope that phone call comes soon for you!

Agreeing with @clicketykeys and everyone else re ridiculous definitions of professional dress/make-up etc. I am v v lucky. My school is in a very liberal part of London and typically lots of the families work in media and creative industries. Our whole approach is v informal. So the teachers are addressed by the first names by the children, the children don’t wear uniform (unusual for the UK) and I can wear jeans, trainers, workout gear... pretty much anything as long as it isn’t too revealing. Quite different from the school my own children attend which is super formal.
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    So I made it through my big day yesterday and the class assembly went well. Had meetings after work though so came home late and hungry and had to make dinner for the kids then help with a homework crisis. I stress snacked the whole way through that debacle and, frankly, only ended the day in the green because i was running such a large deficit for the day. I know in theory it’s CICO but I know that my eating wasn’t controlled or mindful so I’m annoyed with myself even if it wasn’t going ‘over’. I will no doubt see a water weight bump on the scales but hopefully tracking was accurate and that is all.

Wednesday goals:
    - morning workout ✅
    - Early to work - check everything is ready, set up screen etc ✅
    - Assembly! Remind kids that they will be brilliant and just enjoy. Smile, be calm. Remind parents not to video and to sign the book ✅
    - Water! ✅
    - Afternoon planning time - veg snacks only ✅
    - Contribute to leaver’s gift and sign the book ✅
    - Prep for school writing day tomorrow ✅
    - Home on time to do Reader of the Week activity with youngest ✅ yes but late and stressful
    - Cash for piano teacher ✅
    - Girls’ hair wash ❎ too late to bed
    - Sleep! ✅ eventually

Thursday goals
    - morning run
    - Buy food for leavers’ lunch on way to work
    - Make labels on arrival at work
    - Mention after school clubs at morning meeting
    - Home @lunch for car?
    - Show and Tell reminder to class
    - Finish medium term plan
    - Pharmacy and health food store after work
    - book yoga
    - Early night

Have a great day everyone x
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    @cschmitz110515 - I don't know of any business here that closes for snow days, I wish they would more people would probably live. Then I hadn't thought about the pay side of it much. In NB businesses close frequently due to snow days and those days are not paid for any hourly employees.
    I used to work a job that required those long hours as well, when I started at a company that actually encouraged you to work 40 hours only, I was so happy. One of the benefits of the job I am so hoping to get is 37.5 hours per week and a 5 minute drive. It is 3.6 kms from my house so I feel I'll be able to walk to and from work some days.

I read a news article this morning from here in Alberta that a school board was concerned that because the buses were not running due to extreme cold the attendance of the students had reached almost 0%. I was shocked that this would make the news. They apparently expected parents to drive the students to school stating that most of the buses were rural routes and they understood not all parents could do it. In NB they close schools due to storm days and extreme cold. It's funny how it changes from one province to the other.

@clicketykeys - I have been very fortunate that unless executives were coming to town I could wear business casual with no make up most days in my last three jobs. I will probably have to dress up more if I get this job. I'll have to buy some make up.

@Faebert - That's interesting. Students here only have those type of assemblies at Christmas time and then at the end of the school year they have a parent evening to show off their learned skills.

I have to share a funny story. The job I am waiting on is with the city I live in called Leduc. Today after Rodger got the battery installed in the car I took it for an oil change and a new headlight. I then went to get a few groceries. I noticed that I had a missed call (no voicemail) from a Leduc phone number so I called back. I talked to the nice lady that answered the phone told her I had missed the a call from this number and had applied for a job, if it helped her the department I was trying to speak to would be in charge of whoever hired for the Leduc Rec Centre. She says I'm sorry, this is Lube City, the place I had just had the oil changed. I was so anxious to hear from City of Leduc, I swear I heard her say Leduc City.

I just came on to update my weekly weigh-in and have written a novel... so here it is.
    Averaged over 7 days.

drkouavu1ug3.png
  • Elbee1
    Elbee1 Posts: 2,023 Member
    Options
    [quote="Snowflake1968;c-43313166

elbee1- I’m not sure what’s going on, but you seemed worried so I’m hoping it goes well for you.
    .[/quote]

Thank you! That's very sweet of you to say.
  • Elbee1
    Elbee1 Posts: 2,023 Member
    Options
    Elbee1 wrote: »
    JFT 2/13/19
    Weight
    Jan Red cup challenge
    Stay in the green
    Scan imp. papers
    Email them
    Look over other important papers
    Get things ready for tomorrow
    Look up a couple deadlines

I'm not feeling very committal to the following due to the last 3 items above. Waited to last minute & now very nervous... :
    Back exercises
    Other e exercises
    Into bed 1am

Didn't do well except for Red Cup challenge. At least 4 cups which is very good for me.

JFT 2/14/19
    Make it thru difficult phone conference with one of my brothers & attorney during my lunch break.
    Don't binge or go off the deep end with food.
    Red cup challenge
    Go to bed by 1am
  • toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Checking in from Tuesday
    1. Therapy exercises. Feed cats. Tea! Log 1 item. Update JFT by 7:00. Warm car.
    2. Before school: Update class websites. Check WLGs. Update on board.
    3. Class 1-2: Students return work. New groups. Character analysis; Socratic discussion Weds. HW: Hero-Villain showdown, Subject complements.
    4. Planning: A - Update Week 7-8 / Unit 3 plans and print. B - Lunch duty; grade classwork C - Enter grades. D - Blog post. Print materials for MLA practice.
    5. Class 4: Chromebooks - MLA formatting, research.
    6. Review assessments. What is the purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    7. Zumba 5:30. Lang8 post.
    8. Gratitude journal. Update Goodreads Friday.
    9. Therapy exercises. Prep Wed lunch. Chop celery. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 8:45; devices off by 9:00; alarm set for 5:50.

JFT Wednesday
    1. Therapy exercises. Feed cats. Meds. Tea! Log 1 item. Update JFT by 7:00.
    2. Before school: Update class websites. WLGs on board. PRINT SOCRATIC WORKSHEETS!
    3. Class 1-2: KEEP HW. Socratic discussion. HW: Language, subject complements. Thursday HW - story reversal.
    4. Planning: A - Review Week 7-8 plans / Unit 3 plans and update. B - Grade classwork at lunch duty. C - Enter grades. D - Call parents.
    5. Class 4: Medal of Freedom research. Practice paraphrasing. Choose nominees.
    6. Review assessments. What is the purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    7. Walk in park. Run 9 laps (~2.25 mi). Aim for <40 min.
    8. Gratitude journal. Update Goodreads Friday. Blog post.
    9. Therapy exercises. Prep Thu lunch. Chop celery. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 8:45; devices off by 9:00; alarm set for 5:50. Friday - check in with dr. about progress on ankle.

Scale goals
    End of 2017: 174.6
    End of 2018: 189.2
    January 2019: 186.0
    Today: 185.4

Ongoing plans/ideas behind the cut
    1. Purchases: Go to Mac store and see if they can retrieve the files off the iMac. Look for an "ugly Christmas sweater" and a long-haired doll at thrift stores. Practice French braiding. Go to used bookstore and look for Design for How People Learn (Julie Dirksen), On Writing (Stephen King), Dying for a Paycheck (Robin Hardman), The Prince (tr. Tim Parks, Russell Price, or Robert Adams).
    2. E2: What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Create vocabulary lists for each unit that come from the texts used: Animal Farm, Julius Caesar, Wes Moore, I Am Malala. Find a way to incorporate changing words from one part of speech to another. Students need to know how to review multiple sources and synthesize information in order to draw a conclusion. Need practice with the difference between transitions and overlapping (at end of paragraph - "another issue is Y" vs "there are other issues besides X"). Quit using "in conclusion" and "I believe" and other writing-about-my-writing phrases. Confusion between direct/indirect objects and prepositional phrases. Use the UDHR and the Declaration of Independence to study paraphrasing; use that to front-load Machiavelli and how to deal with challenging texts. Confusion between everyday / every day and similar constructions.
    3. E1: Need practice with quoting & paraphrasing sources, identifying claims that would need support, use of last names for reference, and capitalization practice (common/proper nouns, titles). Difficulty using possessive nouns in their own writing. Honors: practice subject/object pronouns (my friend and I / my friend and me).
    4. Curriculum Development: Writing mini-unit. Review scholarly research on 5PE. (I think I can have this as an intro to the research unit so that they also get exposure to how quotes are integrated and cited.) Parallel structure; use of emotional language, specific detail. Use "Write About a Pebble" lesson from Atwell. How long should each unit take? Do research on characteristics: curiosity, persistence, resilience, creativity, responsibility, optimism, courage, integrity, authenticity, leadership, self-awareness, humility, compassion - others? Include grammarly check on essays!
    5. Professional Development: Write blog post weekly. Comment on 3 posts each week -Tu Th Sun? Check with PSC. Talk with Z about articles and/or conference proposals.
    6. Medical: Dentist? Also Feb 7 9:30 w Ac Int. Feb 7 12:00 w new. Sub already set up. Apr 22 McC. Need sub. Call to set up checkups with Dass (October). GET MAGAZINES FOR COLLAGES FROM DOCTORS.
    7. Theater: Audition for FTN (Feb?) Audition for Avenue Q March. Audition for Christie March. Audition for Mamma Mia ??? Need sub for May 2, opening day.
    8. House: Mineral oil on tile spots. Check with D about ceiling.

I am REALLY jealous of my husband's ability to get up and be ready in about 15 minutes. I cannot adequately express the level of frustrated rage that I feel at the expectation that in order to be taken seriously as a professional, I have to wear makeup, jewelry, and have my hair styled. That nonsense is ridiculously sexist and classist. I hate it SO MUCH. But there's nothing I can do about it because we live in a capitalist society and if my employer decides I'm "uncooperative" and "insubordinate" they can dump me and I lose access to food, shelter, clothing, healthcare - you know, things that are necessary for SURVIVAL.

Capitalism is a rotten kitten. I love my job, but I am sick of feeling shackled to my employment.

I'm not sure that makeup or no makeup, or wearing jewelry or not is a sign of capitalism. Nor is being admonished for being uncooperative a sign of capitalism. I know several professional women who, while staying within their company's regulations/guidelines, wear very minimal, if any, make up...and I know a lot who choose to do so because they want to. They wear their hair long and straight, in a ponytail, or even short so that fingers run through it and they are done. There are also businesses/organizations that have stricter dress codes where men wear suits and ties and women wear suits as well. When they are hired they know what is expected and they can choose to accept the job or not. My husband works for a large company, working with lots of brilliant, smart women and men, in a professional environment. The dress code there is very relaxed with most everyone wearing jeans. When I pop in I have noticed many women are not wearing makeup. And believe me, this company is wallowing in and embracing capitalism! All to say, the company or organization leadership gets to decide, among many other regulations, the dress code (and they get all the headaches leadership comes with as well). You get to decide if you can live within their demands or if you want to go elsewhere. The regulations are different with each place of employment so undoubtedly there is a good fit somewhere for you, that won't cause frustration, or feeling forced to do something that goes against your beliefs! From all accounts on here, you are smart, capable, passionate about your work, and would be an asset to many organizations and schools (public and private). Perhaps finding one that is more compatible with your desires would allow you to flourish. Job hunts can be painful and quite troublesome. But, in the end, can lead to a positive outcome. Here's to you finding peace and joy in your work!
  • toaljasa
    Options
    Just hopping on quick. I'm at work trying to catch up and tie up loose ends before going on vacation tomorrow.

I will try to hop on when I can to check in but not promising. My husband deserves me to be present on our trip and so does my dad. So....my goals for Thursday 2/14 through Tuesday, 2/19, are to be mindful in my choices of food; drink plenty of water since it will be warm and I plan to be outside a lot; take a walk every day and get in at least 30 minutes of activity. My dad said there are fresh produce stands all year long there, so I'm excited about that! :)

We'll be in Arizona and I'm SO EXCITED! Never been there. Going to see both my family and two of husband's sisters. Should be a really good time, and I know at the very least it will be awesome for my husband and I to get away alone for a few days.

Love you all. HUGS and Prayers.

Tracie

Have a lovely, lovely time! Safe travels! Seize the moment...who knows when you will return again!
  • toaljasa
    Options
    JFT - Tuesday February 12 - Determined
    2L of water - 😕 only 1.5 @ZizzyBumble I got busy and forgot.
    Calories in Green - 🙂
    Walk 1 Mile - 🙂2.5
    5 Fruits and Veggies - 2/5
    Only 1 evening Snack - 😕 2, but I still had 200+ calories left
    5 something at bathroom break - 🙂
    Write in Journal - 🙂
    Do not disappoint myself, be conscious of my choices. - 🙂

JFT - Wednesday February 13 Determined
    2L of water
    Calories in Green
    Walk 1 Mile
    5 Fruits and Veggies
    Only 1 evening Snack
    5 something at bathroom break
    Write in Journal
    Do not disappoint myself, be conscious of my choices.

Today would have been my grandparents 78th wedding anniversary. They were married by the army chaplain in Kingston, Ontario where Grampie was training to go overseas. The train ticket for Grammie to meet him was 1.00 and change. She wrote meticulously in her diary what meals she had and what stops she made on the train.
    If memory serves they only saw each other one more time after their wedding until the end of the war. I have the only picture they had taken which was actually the day after the wedding as she was boarding the train to go home. I also have her wedding dress it is an emerald green velvet with matching hat.

I have about 70 more pieces to print and cut for Kaitlyn’s invitations and I ran short by 15 pieces of paper for the one part. I need to go to Michaels again.

Today is Grandkid Wednesday and I should make a Valentine’s Day card for them and for hubby too. Maybe I’ll do that while I wait for invites to print.

What an absolute treasure you have. Wow. And what a handsome couple they made!