JUST FOR TODAY -- One Day at a Time .... Daily commitment thread for 2019

Options

Replies

• toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    @AJB1014, @bookmeister86, @Snowflake1968 - Agreed on the double standard for gender presentation, but in ADDITION it just grinds my gears that thin, lightweight cotton is "professional" but heavier, tightly-woven cotton is "casual." Especially if it's (GASP!) blue.

Ideologically, the ONLY thing that should be required for professional dress is SAFETY. Jeans should be perfectly fine to wear to just about ANY job. I'm cool with making an exception for surgical scrubs and other such gear, because again, SAFETY. I legitimately had a supervisor ask, "if you went to the doctor's office, and he came in wearing jeans and a Hawaiian-print shirt, what would you think?" and my thoughts were (1) that he likes wearing jeans and Hawaiian-print shirts, and (2) why are you assuming my doctor would be a dude?

However, while speaking the truth is a lovely ideal, it doesn't always buy food. So I kept my mouth shut and just smiled apologetically and ducked my head.

From time to time this same supervisor will compliment my outfit now that I'm successfully compliant. I smile and say "thanks!" but I'm thinking obviously I already got the message, so please quit trying so hard.

Ha! My son's orthopedic surgeon would don a crazy hat every day...he had hundreds of them. And he'd wear a Hawaiian shirt as well. A very capable surgeon who made otherwise nervous people smile and relax!
  • ZizzyBumble
    ZizzyBumble Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Thursday 14 February

Log accurately
    Stay in the green
    5 fruit and veg
    Fitbit excercise goals
    January challenge
    February challenge
  • 13ecca4
    13ecca4 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    13ecca4 wrote: »
    JFT - Wednesday
    Log all my food on MFP and stay under my calorie goal. ✅
    Eat veg at lunch and tea time. ✅
    Give it my best at my PT session tonight. ✅
    15,000 steps ✅

JFT - Thursday

Log all my food on MFP and stay under my calorie goal.
    Eat veg at lunch and tea time.
    15,000 steps
    Drink 2 bottles of water.

• roundbutsound
    roundbutsound Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @Bex953172 thank you, I asked for help quoting and sending a message x
  • roundbutsound
    roundbutsound Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Today's goals 8000 steps, log food (I logged yesterday for the first time in ages), a litre of water in addition to normal drinks, take up 3 new pairs of trousers.
  • maryrobinson40
    maryrobinson40 Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    j2in6v056tb2.jpg
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Checking in from Wednesday
    1. Therapy exercises. Feed cats. Meds. Tea! Log 1 item. Update JFT by 7:00.
    2. Before school: Update class websites. WLGs on board. PRINT SOCRATIC WORKSHEETS!
    3. Class 1-2: KEEP HW. Socratic discussion. HW: Language, subject complements. Thursday HW - story reversal.
    4. Planning: A - Review Week 7-8 plans / Unit 3 plans and update. B - Grade classwork at lunch duty. C - Enter grades. D - Call parents.
    5. Class 4: Medal of Freedom research. Practice paraphrasing. Choose nominees.
    6. Review assessments. What is the purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    7. Walk in park. Run 9 laps (~2.25 mi). Aim for <40 min.
    8. Gratitude journal. Update Goodreads Friday. Blog post.
    9. Therapy exercises. Prep Thu lunch. Chop celery. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 8:45; devices off by 9:00; alarm set for 5:50.

JFT Thursday
    1. Therapy exercises. Feed cats. Meds. Tea! Log 1 item. Update JFT by 7:00. Warm up the car if needed.
    2. Before school: Update class websites. Put first directions on board. PRINT PROJECT GUIDELINES AND RUBRIC.
    3. Class 1-2: Review dialogue formatting ("Good Life") and subject complements. Review tenses. 15 minutes to revise / rewrite Reflection 18. Project work. HW - Hero-Villain REVISION - correct dialogue, consistent tense, subject complements.
    4. Planning: A - Gratitude journal. Review plans. B - Grade homeworks. C - Enter grades. D - Check grammar test. Two discussion comments. Check on Week 3 project. Blog post. Take portfolios, crate, and essay revision sheets.
    5. Class 4: Check printouts. Medal of Freedom research - find sources, copy-paste info, and create Works Cited.
    6. Review assessments. What is my purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    7. Zumba 5:30. Wash clothes.
    8. Update Goodreads Friday. Blog post.
    9. Therapy exercises. Prep Fri lunch. Chop celery. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 8:45; devices off by 9:00; alarm set for 5:50. Friday - check in with dr. about progress on ankle. Calculus practice this weekend?

Scale goals
    End of 2017: 174.6
    End of 2018: 189.2
    January 2019: 186.0
    Today: 185.4

Ongoing plans/ideas behind the cut
    1. Purchases: Go to Mac store and see if they can retrieve the files off the iMac. Look for an "ugly Christmas sweater" and a long-haired doll at thrift stores. Practice French braiding. Go to used bookstore and look for Design for How People Learn (Julie Dirksen), On Writing (Stephen King), Dying for a Paycheck (Robin Hardman), The Prince (tr. Tim Parks, Russell Price, or Robert Adams).
    2. E2: What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Create vocabulary lists for each unit that come from the texts used: Animal Farm, Julius Caesar, Wes Moore, I Am Malala. Find a way to incorporate changing words from one part of speech to another. Students need to know how to review multiple sources and synthesize information in order to draw a conclusion. Need practice with the difference between transitions and overlapping (at end of paragraph - "another issue is Y" vs "there are other issues besides X"). Quit using "in conclusion" and "I believe" and other writing-about-my-writing phrases. Confusion between direct/indirect objects and prepositional phrases. Use the UDHR and the Declaration of Independence to study paraphrasing; use that to front-load Machiavelli and how to deal with challenging texts. Confusion between everyday / every day and similar constructions.
    3. E1: Need practice with quoting & paraphrasing sources, identifying claims that would need support, use of last names for reference, and capitalization practice (common/proper nouns, titles). Difficulty using possessive nouns in their own writing. Honors: practice subject/object pronouns (my friend and I / my friend and me).
    4. Curriculum Development: Writing mini-unit. Review scholarly research on 5PE. (I think I can have this as an intro to the research unit so that they also get exposure to how quotes are integrated and cited.) Parallel structure; use of emotional language, specific detail. Use "Write About a Pebble" lesson from Atwell. How long should each unit take? Do research on characteristics: curiosity, persistence, resilience, creativity, responsibility, optimism, courage, integrity, authenticity, leadership, self-awareness, humility, compassion - others? Include grammarly check on essays!
    5. Professional Development: Write blog post weekly. Comment on 3 posts each week -Tu Th Sun? Check with PSC. Talk with Z about articles and/or conference proposals.
    6. Medical: Dentist? Also Feb 7 9:30 w Ac Int. Feb 7 12:00 w new. Sub already set up. Apr 22 McC. Need sub. Call to set up checkups with Dass (October). GET MAGAZINES FOR COLLAGES FROM DOCTORS.
    7. Theater: Audition for FTN (Feb?) Audition for Avenue Q March. Audition for Christie March. Audition for Mamma Mia ??? Need sub for May 2, opening day.
    8. House: Mineral oil on tile spots. Check with D about ceiling.
    other benefits far outweigh this absurdity,
    This is pretty much how I feel about my employer ;D

@toaljasa - SEE? Like, my main priorities with my doctors are (1) do they listen to me, (2) how much do they know about their specialty, (3) are their suggestions effective? My new gastroenterologist won big points with me by reviewing my case file before our first consult and then FINDING RESEARCH ABOUT SIMILAR CASES (early screening based on history of other cancers) in order to make a more informed recommendation. I say that it's a capitalist issue because even though not every employer makes these demands, the acceptance of the employer's right to dictate the employee's dress (when not related to safely and effectively completing duties) is a part of capitalism.

@PackerFanInGB - Have a splendid time!

I'm having trouble motivating myself to do my edublog because I'm not really connected to other bloggers and so I don't get a lot of traffic, so why bother? :P I think maybe I'll try focusing on commenting for awhile.

WFTY: Climbing. Feeling pretty good about it right now. Weight is steady from yesterday, and that's still down a bit from the end of last month. We may be traveling this weekend so I need to be careful about food. I love food... *sigh*
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I posted on the fitness forum and people over there are so jerky!!!! Actually i shouldnt generalize. Some are definitely jerks, i got woo'ed for asking for a fitness app and told to "just run." I did get some good recs for the nike training app though so that was indeed helpful. Gosh I'm sensitive lately.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Good morning all and Happy Valentine's Day to those who celebrate it!

I am both super proud and kind of disappointed in myself (weird I know, lol). I committed to doing a Strong Curves work out after work yesterday and it actually worked out really well. I put on some anime and my husband joined me in watching it while I worked out so it was like we were still able to hang out while I was doing it which was nice.

What I'm disappointed about is both yesterday and the day before I thought I was well within my calorie limit and I was so excited, then when I was closing my diary I realized that for both days I forgot to log part of my dinner so I was actually over! Not a huge deal but still, made me realize I need to pay closer attention!

Tonight we are going out to the restaurant we met at in Tampa (back in the day when he was a cook and I was a server there). It is a nice Italian restaurant so I'm allowing myself to go up to 2500 calories today since we so rarely go there and the food is sooooo good. I'm really excited!

Anyway, here's yesterday:

1. Stay within calories 😞
    2. (**Edited to remove lunchtime walk, it's raining pretty hard and I think it's supposed to all day**)
    3. Leave work before 5:30😁
    4. Do a workout after work😁
    5. Wash a load of laundry😐 kind of, I washed just what I needed for today lol
    6. Set aside clothes for tomorrow night😁

JFT 12/14:

1. Stay within 2500 calories
    2. Go for a walk at lunch
    3. Leave work before 5:10 (have to drive to Tampa)

Have a great day!
  • clicketykeys
    Options
    AJB1014 wrote: »
    I posted on the fitness forum and people over there are so jerky!!!! Actually i shouldnt generalize. Some are definitely jerks, i got woo'ed for asking for a fitness app and told to "just run." I did get some good recs for the nike training app though so that was indeed helpful. Gosh I'm sensitive lately.

I'd be tempted to reply to them and ask why they felt like offering something that wasn't what you asked for XD

Although they might have been responding to the "any other recs" part - I get that you may have meant it as any other FREE FITNESS APP recs, given the freaking TITLE OF YOUR POST (jeez) but I've learned not to take for malice what can be explained by ignorance and/or carelessness ;)
  • toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    @toaljasa - SEE? Like, my main priorities with my doctors are (1) do they listen to me, (2) how much do they know about their specialty, (3) are their suggestions effective? My new gastroenterologist won big points with me by reviewing my case file before our first consult and then FINDING RESEARCH ABOUT SIMILAR CASES (early screening based on history of other cancers) in order to make a more informed recommendation. I say that it's a capitalist issue because even though not every employer makes these demands, the acceptance of the employer's right to dictate the employee's dress (when not related to safely and effectively completing duties) is a part of capitalism.

Well, my dear, we shall have to relish in that which we agree upon, and celebrate that we have the freedom to amicably agree to disagree!
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,327 Member
    Options
    nlmackey98 wrote: »

JFT Wednesday 2/13
    -Gym crazy early so I can make my 8:00 meeting. :) but the bowl of cereal for dinner didn't quite fuel the workout. Running on 5 hours of sleep didn't help either.
    - Breakfast before my meeting. :| Didn't happen, but I did take some water to the meeting. I ate shortly after it was over.
    - Eat a low cal high protein lunch. :)
    - Stay awake during my afternoon meeting. :) - Barely
    - Pick up dogs. :)
    - Pick up Kid. :)
    - Go to church :)
    - Eat a dinner that won't break the calorie bank. :)

Thanks all for giving me a little accountability. If I "write" it, I way more likely to do it.

JFT Thursday
    - Sleep in until 6:15. :) actually 6:30
    - Take dogs to doggie daycare (getting new floors, this is easier). :)
    - Drop off hubby's Valentine in his office. He has a 9 hour meeting today and could probably use a smile. :)
    - Weigh in at work for challenge. :) Down 2 pounds from last week. 20 to go...
    - Eat usual breakfast of protein bar & fruit. :( Missed on this one. Skipped breakfast.
    - Be productive at work. Lots of technical stuff to do and figure out.
    - Have a little fun with lunch, but stay within maintenance today.
    - Pick up kid from practice and take her to piano.
    - Have chicken something for dinner, because I bought it Tuesday and need to cook it.
    - Rest day from the work out and from the rigorous diet. Stay positive and don't let this turn into permission to fail or revert to old habits. Keep it reasonable and it will keep you from burning out, right?
    - To bed by 10:00 so I can hit the gym before work tomorrow. Actually I'm doing a Fun with Science show tomorrow so it really isn't like work. I get paid to shatter things, play with fire and blow things up. FWS days are always good days, but I do have to get up extra early to do it.

I could use some friends on here. I deleted my last account as it was just filled with too much drama. I'm starting over and everyone on this thread seems very kind and supportive. If you want another friend, please add me.
  • pridesabtch
    Options
    @clicketykeys what do you teach and what ages or level?
  • clicketykeys
    Options

I teach high school language arts - mostly sophomores, though this term I've also got one class of freshmen.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    AJB1014 wrote: »

I doubt that it’s you being sensitive, I have learned to stay away from all but the Success and Motivation and Support boards. I find a lot of them judgy.

I have also learned not to speak about diet and fitness in the real world very much.

On Tuesday I commented on a friends FB post, she had said that before her dream vacation to Hawaii she had gotten down to 140 lbs (from around 175) doing Keto. Since they have been home she had been having high carb days and needed to reel it in. I commented and said, “I can’t do Keto I would starve, but I have cut back on carbs”.

It became this great big thing with her telling me how easy Keto is, she doesn’t miss cookies and sugars and such. I told her I don’t eat cookies and sweets, I like potatoes. She then tells me to fry radish, they taste similar to potatoes. I told her that I am as fussy as a 2 year old and that really I was actually agreeing with her.

It always goes like that, everyone thinks what they are doing is the way to do it, because that is what is working for them. They don’t want to see any other points of view or it’s not working for them and they don’t want to admit it.

My cousin gets almost angry at the thoughts of me counting calories and weighing food, it brings back memories of her Mother not allowing stuff in the house and obsessively counting and restricting herself.

It’s a funny world.
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    JFT - Wednesday February 13 Determined
    2L of water - 😕 1.5
    Calories in Green - 🙂
    Walk 1 Mile - 🙂 2.5
    5 Fruits and Veggies - 1/5
    Only 1 evening Snack - 😕 I had extra calories
    5 something at bathroom break - 🙂
    Write in Journal - 🙂
    Do not disappoint myself, be conscious of my choices. - 🙂

JFT - Thursday February 14 Determined
    2L of water
    Calories in Green
    Walk 1 Mile
    5 Fruits and Veggies
    Only 1 evening Snack
    5 something at bathroom break
    Write in Journal
    Do not disappoint myself, be conscious of my choices.
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,480 Member
    Options
    Recap W 2/13 ~ Since hubby cleared snow in driveway (again) when he got home from work at 12:30 a.m. I didn't have to shovel in morning. <3
    1) Awake for early alarm in case I had to shovel / treadmill 3 mi 50:52 + cool down + stretched = happy me :smiley:
    2) Move hourly / stairs breaks / 5 somethings = Fitbit 14,095 steps, 250+ steps 13/14 (board meeting 1.5 hrs) & 36 floors :smiley:
    3) Will have leftovers for lunch & supper but haven't prelogged yet / net calories zero / 14c water = Net calories -40 :) , sodium -271 :) , sugar -5, fiber & protein low-ish, 14c water (yay). Since I was little hungry in evening, ate an orange & 1 piece of string cheese that put my net cals red. It's not an exact science so not fretting, close enough! :D
    4) Evening: mail niece's bday card :smiley: / reorg freezers :smiley: / wash dishes :s nope / prep clothes for workplace snowshoe hike on Th :smiley: / other to-do's? :smiley: shoveled patio & digital decluttered
    5) Unplug 9:00 :smiley: / FLOSS :smiley: / RETAINERS :smiley: / set/verify alarm (no workout), bed & tv off 10:20 :smiley:

JFT R 2/14 ~ Happy Valentine's Day!!! <3 Hubby and I don't really celebrate, other than exchange cards & maybe go out to dinner some other evening soon. No candy temptations. Today I have lunch event (see #3) and won't see hubby (he was sleeping when I left for work, he'll be at work when I get home & I'll be asleep when he gets home). Planning to message him sometime today. <3
    1) Move hourly / stairs breaks / 5 somethings
    2) Meals & snacks prelogged w/ wiggle room (yay) / net calories zero / 14c water
    3) We finally have plenty of snow! Weekly workplace snowshoe hike at lunchtime / change/leave on time (slight change in location) / lunch at desk before or after
    4) After work: optometrist to get new lenses in glasses / choir 6:30 / wash dishes / read Sunday ads / other to-do's?
    5) Unplug 9:00 / floss / retainers / set/verify early alarm, bed & tv off 10:20 (treadmill F a.m.)
  • pridesabtch
    Options

I teach high school language arts - mostly sophomores, though this term I've also got one class of freshmen.

Don't judge my grammar, and I mix tenses all the time. Oh, and I can't spell without spell check. I admire you for the job you do. I taught high school science and chemistry when my sister-in-law was on maternity leave. It was very trying. I taught math at a local community college when my girls were little, that I liked.
  • HEGoddard0928
    HEGoddard0928 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    So mad at myself! Matt brought home a package of peanut butter Oreos and I are half the pack. I was doing so well yesterday too!

Well today is a new day!

So for the rest of the day!

1. Stay calm and focused at work 😐 LM ticked me off
    2. Double check all of my work as I go.😑 Missed a signature
    3. Take a walk on my break😑 I took a quick one to the library and it was FREEZING out. I forgot my coat.
    4. Get up and move every hour😁 Most likely. I drank A LOT of water so I was in the bathroom a lot. Lol
    5. Gym after work.😁 Actually really proud of myself. Ran 2 km and walked 2 km.
    6. Figure out dinner.😆Pizza lol
    7. Dishes!!!!🤣😂😅
    8. Shower before bed😆Too tired. Did it this morning
    9. Bed by 1030 😁Before actually

So my coworker lost it on a customer late last night (granted she was being a b!tch) and is probably going to get fired. But she's my saving grace at this place. So if she gets fired I'm leaving. It's actually really kind of freeing knowing that I'm likely to either get fired or quit in the next couple of weeks. I've been putting my resume out all over the place and I'm hoping that I get a bite or two. But we'll be okay for a little while if I'm between jobs.

JFT, 2/14/19

1. Make it through work with a clear head
    2. Log all food
    3. Figure it dinner (I feel like I say this every single day)
    4. DISHES!!!!!!!
    5. Bed before 1030.

Have a great day everyone!
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    So mad at myself! Matt brought home a package of peanut butter Oreos and I are half the pack. I was doing so well yesterday too!

Well today is a new day!

So for the rest of the day!

1. Stay calm and focused at work 😐 LM ticked me off
    2. Double check all of my work as I go.😑 Missed a signature
    3. Take a walk on my break😑 I took a quick one to the library and it was FREEZING out. I forgot my coat.
    4. Get up and move every hour😁 Most likely. I drank A LOT of water so I was in the bathroom a lot. Lol
    5. Gym after work.😁 Actually really proud of myself. Ran 2 km and walked 2 km.
    6. Figure out dinner.😆Pizza lol
    7. Dishes!!!!🤣😂😅
    8. Shower before bed😆Too tired. Did it this morning
    9. Bed by 1030 😁Before actually

So my coworker lost it on a customer late last night (granted she was being a b!tch) and is probably going to get fired. But she's my saving grace at this place. So if she gets fired I'm leaving. It's actually really kind of freeing knowing that I'm likely to either get fired or quit in the next couple of weeks. I've been putting my resume out all over the place and I'm hoping that I get a bite or two. But we'll be okay for a little while if I'm between jobs.

JFT, 2/14/19

1. Make it through work with a clear head
    2. Log all food
    3. Figure it dinner (I feel like I say this every single day)
    4. DISHES!!!!!!!
    5. Bed before 1030.

Have a great day everyone!

Sorry to hear your job isn’t working out, you were so excited when you started. If I were you I would quit before getting fired, it is easier to explain in future interviews if asked.

Good luck!