WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR JANUARY 2019

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    Options
    Struggling on. :/ I have been napping on and off, which I think is good. My coughing is improving, but my intercostal muscles are sooooooo sore. Even the tiniest cough HURTS.
    It's drizzling, so DH has not gone out for his walk. I was hoping to watch a recorded programme that isn't his bag. :( Oh well. He has cancelled tomorrow's walk and lunch with his friend as it is expected to get cold and snow. Better stay in the warm than drive off into the unknown. Our temps will be nothing like some of yours.
    I've put the first phase of my curry in the IP. The spinach and cooked chicken only needs adding at the end. DH is going to hang up the laundry as bending over makes me cough.
    Feeling strangely peaceful and resigned.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    elk2c44bp9sr.jpeg
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    The morning is here. Windy and light snow.

Heather UK- I have no idea.....I will check into it though. Thank you!

Machka- Please take care! Prayers!

For those fighting the yucks, just a suggestion. Wipe down door handles and sink knobs at least once dailywith disinfectant. Anything that gets touched similarly. It seems to help. I wipe ours at least weekly, unless someone sniffles while around. I do the same at work with phones and knobs. We clean our houses, but I never thought about door knobs or phones until about 3 years ago. I use a lot of lysol at work this time of year. Chicken soup and lots of fluids. Sending healing thoughts to you all.

Have a blessed day!
    <3
    Kylia in cold, but going to get colder Ohio

I did this when I was sick with the flu. I would add keyboards if you share a computer, remotes , light switches. I know you mentioned door handles. I make sure I wash down the refrigerator handle. I also washed bedding and the TV blankets once I got better. Feel better again. No one else caught it. I use a soapy solution made of dawn. I don't like to use harsh chemicals if I can help it. They create another kind of pollution. Antibacterials are out for me too. I spray with an essential oil water mix.

Minus 8 today. They are telling us it will be minus 24 tomorrow and Wednesday. Wind chills down in the minus 40's. Sitting by a well weather striped window with a space heater going and a very heavy robe and a good cup of coffee. Very comfortable.

:heart: Margaret
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    Rebecca ~ I am in the process of making vegetable beef/chicken soup right now. Yours looks really good! All of the area schools are closed tomorrow due to possible black ice. We Georgians just don't know how to drive on these occasions. :)

Yay! Soup making days are good for the soul!💗. Stay off that black ice! Scary!
    Hugs Rebecca
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    Kylia ~ Sounds like your planning for later in life possibilities is very organized. :) I often rue the year I was teaching and a boy student came to class in shoes that smelled like cat spray. I made him take the shoes off and leave them on the porch of my trailer. Now, I have thought so often of how mean that was of me and how that must have affected his self esteem. I should have made the effort to get him new shoes. If only I could go back and redo. It has been over 10 yrs since I retired and it makes me sad to know that there were so many times when I could have done better. :s:'(

Tracey ~ I look at the numbers you list at the end of your posts and finally figured out that the /31 must be the number of days in January. That's what happens to a 70 yr old's foggy

Carol in GA

I think we can all look back and see things we could have done better in our lives.

Are you meaning numbers at the end of my posts? I looked back and don’t see any, I’m not sure what they are.

I am using Notes in my iPhone so who knows.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,850 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: keto french toast egg loaf bacon and cream cheese. Black coffee with stevia.

364 calories 36 grams fat 4.6 carbs!

bmx7bxpr64pu.jpeg
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Michele in NC, yep, pretty high tech huh?!!😋. I can always tell my husband's leftovers because he used the wrong lids! He's like its not fitting! Duh! God love him.
    Oh you are my Christmas card representative for North Carolina! I need you to send your address and I'll send you mine. I'm going to send to all 50 states next year. Crazy, but that's me.💗
    💗Rebecca
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Barbie: I am so sorry that Jake is still sick. I hope that he feels better soon. :flowerforyou:

Terri: I’m not quite sure that I understand what you mean by terrestrial TV. We have cable or satellite TV available here because antennas are blocked from good signal due to terrain issues. We had cable for years but weren’t happy with their business practices so we chose to have satellite TV. I like it but it is a bit more costly. :smiley:

(((Machka))) I am so sorry for the fires and smoke. :sad: I hope the fires never approach your home, but I wonder whether you put sprinklers on your roof if the fire starts to threaten your area? Wildfires are a mixed blessing. They can cause a renewal in wildlands, but a whole lot of damage to wildlife & human communities. :sad:

Rori: Thumb surgery sounds like the healing process can be a bit challenging. Was it the thumb on your dominant hand? You were smart to have precooked meals in the freezer when you went in for the surgery. I hope the healing goes well. :heart:

Sue: My dad was a Mason and had a Masonic funeral service. It was done very well. Mom and dad had both purchased cemetery plots years before their deaths. They are beside members of the extended family. Our plans are to be cremated and have our ashes scattered together. Hopefully, that will not be any time soon. :heart:

Lanette: I love the Official Canadian Temperature Conversion Chart. Thank you for posting! :star::laugh:

Kylia: I was also a Bluebird and then a Campfire Girl. My daughter didn’t join either group, nor Girl Scouts. My granddaughter is a Girl Scout. :smiley:

Michele: I like your dad’s sentiments, “I lived my life, I saw my grandchildren. If God wants me, God’s going to take me – dialysis or no dialysis. And if God doesn’t want me, I’m not going”.

Lisa: It is a shame that the Boy Scouts have attracted sexual predators and have fallen into this horrible situation. My son was a Cub Scout back in the day, but he didn’t move on to the older group. :noway:

Margaret: DD lives in SE Illinois. They are looking at blustery winds with a high of 12F and a low of -6F. BRRRR!

We have an appointment with our financial advisor later today. DH is currently having coffee in our sitting room upstairs & I will soon join him there. Today will be sunny with a high of 53F. I think that may put us in the tropics compared to many of you. :wink: Stay comfortably warm and be safe. :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Kylia - what a wonderfully kind thing to do with that child- having her bathe and washing her clothes. I'm sure you made a huge difference in her life.

Machka - your smoky air reminds we of what we had around here a couple years ago and to a lesser degree, last year.

Heather
    - hope to hear you and your DH are on the mend soon. Your chicken curry sounds great - perfect for the cold rainy weather.

Regarding wills - I don't have experience with a new marriage and will nullifying or not nullifying a previous will, but I believe if a life insurance or pension beneficiary was a former spouse, a will doesn't automatically switch it to the new spouse. At least here in Washington.

Sue in WA, I'm curious as to why your DH signed a quit-claim deed. I am assuming it was his separate property and not included in the community property when you moved to WA? It's good he was able to re-think about his end of life wishes now that it's getting closer. What a nice Birthday dinner! <3HAPPY BIRTHDAY! <3 Anthony's is a great restaurant chain. Miss their smoked black cod - which was my favorite decades ago when I worked on the Seattle waterfront.

Someone else on here had a birthday this past week..... can't find it now.... fess up! <3

Lanette
    SW WA State

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    nkkffpm7lwi6.jpeg
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Carol ... hindsight is always 20/20. None of us goes through life making only perfect decisions and none of us can honestly say that we didn't have anything we wish we would have done differently. We all have something. Be gentle with yourself ...

Lisa ... thank you for sharing the Girl Scout and Boy Scout information. I was a Brownie and then I was a Girl Scout. Didn't go too far with it as a Girl Scout but did enjoy the years I attended. Have one traumatic memory though of being the last girl picked up by her parents from some distant camping location ... my parents got the pick-up time wrong ... I remember tears and believing it was the end of my world ... lol!!

Karen NY ... I would never laugh ... guffaw loudly, yes.

It has started to snow with a vengeance, but I am now home snug and warm. We've closed the church and offices for tomorrow and have heaters running on our problematic pipes, etc. Our schools have cancelled all after school activities as well as classes Wednesday and Thursday. And the county water authority has just put out a request that we turn the faucet in our homes' lowest location on to a small trickle through the next few days.

Beth near Buffalo
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,491 Member
    Options
    Joe let me know he was going to take the dogs to nearby ocean viewpoint and said "you could come along if you want". From him, this is a gracious invitation so I leaped at the chance. Means I haven't done my morning meditation, knee exercises or started SWSY but here I am catching up. Go figure.

Machka "took an extra day..." Hooray! "filled with smoke" BOO :cry:
    Heather "Death cafe", what an interesting notion! :cry: you are now :sick:er than DH. Can see your Churchill biography bracing you up. Intercostal muscles OWWWW!
    LIsa, Barbie and others with your Big Books of Death, you inspire me to add that to my list of things to do this year. "Make our passing easier for those we love" yes, and as we've learned, life can turn in a moment. Rejoicing at your council's sick leave policy.
    KJ found joy in "just spun in circles in the" glittery, beautiful snow at 04:30 am... inspired! Made me grin! And reminded me how grateful I am to be away from the ice and looking at the beautiful, blue ocean ;)
    Barbie "distressed when (Jake) was too silent" yes that is too scary. I wake up when I can't hear Joe snore, but he absolutely refuses to go in for a sleep apnea test.
    Katla re: your neighbor home and walking 2 days after hip replacement... one of the firefighter's wives just had a hip replacement done on an outpatient basis! In to the surgery center in the morning, out in the afternoon, spent night in nearby motel to make sure no complications, then back in the car 3 hours from Medford to home in Brookings. SMH... but so far so good! Amazing.
    "...hopefully that will not be any time soon" amen. Everybody wants to go to heaven, nobody wants to go now. :}
    Tracey :cry: for the lost recipes, but what sweet love in that poem!
    Karen in VA that is one serious looking swimmer ;)
    Rebecca your food pics always make my mouth water!
    Sharon love your " pillow props and hot Scotch broth or gingery spice or chai tea and the books! The books or a great series on TV and little naps and treating oneself as one might a dear child who is feverish and out of sorts." Rx. Sometimes we all need to nurse/nurture ourselves.
    Allie you could be the keto poster child!
    Yvonne bubble wrap wallpaper... engineers! ROTFL! In my mind it's kind of like a padded-cell lite! A good place for us to go pop stuff when we'd really rather pop someone in the snoot!
    NYKaren your yummy and inexpensive curry is also fiber rich. Win, win WIN!
    Machka scary when wildfires jump natural fire breaks like the river. Windy weather forecast to continue? What are your and your DH's evacuation plans? Can you work from home for a few days?
    Rori sounds like a duvet day (or more) is in order for you.
    Sue "circumstances make us think through things a little more thoroughly" and as they change, so do our wants. ((hugs))
    Lanette your temperature chart was a real tea-snorter!
    Kylia you made more than a bright spot for those little girls, you valued them and cared for them, a feeling that must have been rare. 14 years? :no way: It only took me 3 years to explain to Joe we should be married.:devil:
    Margaret do you leave faucets on the drip? That's what we did in Idaho...
    Michele "second mortgage time" from ordering GS cookies on line... ROTFL! I could resemble that remark, tho'. Baby shower in a ballroom? SMH. She must be expecting a crowd...:devil:
    Kylia and Katla Wo He Lo!!! (no offense to Lisa and the GS). When we got out of the realtor's car here, Joe looked around and said "This is the place!" (Not intentionally quoting Brigham Young). I inhaled and said "It smells right." It always smells like Campfire Girl Camp in the Mendocino Woodlands to me. :heart: I can still sing some of those camp songs... ;)
    Okie don't know about wills, but Lanette's right. Life insurance policy beneficiary can definitely inherit if the deceased failed to update info after a divorce or remarriage.
    Carol black ice in Georgia? :noway: That is just sooo wrong.
    Mary in AZ "Windows frozen" There goes my tea again!
    Beth you brought back a powerful memory for me. Sitting on my duffel bag, watching all the other girls go, staring through the woods toward the road... waiting... waiting... remembering the twisty mountain roads, imagining the worst, making myself sick. Finally a counselor put me to work helping some of the newly arrived little ones (what a kind distraction!). When the camp director called to see if they were all right, my parents were playing bridge with friends at home, 3 hrs away. Bore a grudge against bridge for this and many other reasons that persists to this day.

Welcome Graceandmiracles, "no one's gotten hurt yet" made me laugh! Let us know what to call you and your general location so we can keep you straight in our minds.

Enough sitting. Time to get UP!

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    walk one more step 27/31, 60 g protein 26/31, rx/vits 25/31, meditate 27/31, knee exercises 27/31, SWSY UP 7/9, SWSY LOW 7/9, core 7/9, play with Tumble 10/31, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 20/31.
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD!
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Tracey ~ I look at the numbers you list at the end of your posts and finally figured out that the /31 must be the number of days in January. That's what happens to a 70 yr old's foggy

Carol in GA

I got mixed up. It was Barbara! :)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    Options
    Well, it's an official record! I left some of my curry! It was delicious, but I just had no appetite. That NEVER happens. :o:D Good job as it's keeping me within maintenance calories.

Love you all, Heather UK xxxxxxx

PS - been watching interesting programmes about trains across Canada. Thinking of our Canadian friends. <3
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options

Hi Gals,

Carol – I will be the person coordinating things when my brother passes (I think it’s getting soon) and about 8 months ago when the cancer was diagnosed I called the local funeral home and they were full of information, laws to be aware of, options, prices too – it was a wealth of information that has made it into my brain.

Karen - your g-daughter is so serious in those pictures you can just see her getting mentally ready to have a good race.

Heather – sending good thought to you and DH that both of you continue to improve.

Allie - What a change!!! Looking good!

For those of you in the US and who have changed names over the years… My Grandmother when she died had 5 different last names she had used in her life time (maiden, and 4 marriages) with the exception of her drivers license she had never updated anything. So she had property in all the names and a business in her first married name. The paper work to just get the names sorted out so that the items could be sold, and money divided took almost 6 years, my aunt took early retirement just to sort out the estate, so even if you are not into the issues directly around your death. At least as a gift to your family make sure every name change is done.

Kim from N. California
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,850 Member
    Options
    Lunch at Golden Corral: 7% carbs, 21% protein, 71% fat. Still have 7 net grams carbs left for dinner!