WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR JANUARY 2019

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Tracey in Edmonton: Regarding your questions about Gloria, she was killed in a traffic accident. There were news photos of Gloria’s accident online and on TV. Gloria was a wonderful woman and posted here regularly for a long while. She was mothering three grandsons. One night she was walking her little dog and it ran into the street. She went after it and was hit and killed by a truck. One of her daughters stepped in and took in the boys, but the dog was eventually sent to an animal shelter. I don’t’ know whether or not it was a no kill shelter, and I don’t know if it was adopted. Gloria was a stalwart woman and I feel privileged to have known her through this group. Gloria’s daughter posted here for a little while, but we haven’t heard from her in a long time. :heart: :broken_heart: Others may know more about this.

I have been experiencing low energy and a blah feeling for a few weeks. I got overtired and might have caught a little something, or it may have been simple fatigue. I’m beginning to feel better. It seems like my energy is coming back. I sure hope so! I haven't been eating as I should and my weight is up a few pounds. The result is knee pain. I'm in the process of taking the weight back off to the point where my knee feels better.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Katla49
    Options
    Allie: WOW! You are transforming yourself! WTG!!! :heart: :bigsmile: :heart:
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Very cute, Allie. How tall are you? Those 12 pounds have made a huge difference in your face. Great job!

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,826 Member
    Options
    Sharon~ he was home when he passed I take pride in knowing even though it was years apart,mom and died withing feet of each other and I am most certain that mom was there to greet dad at the gates..
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,736 Member
    Options
    Rrrrrr
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day!

"Engineers Marc Chavannes and Alfred Fielding sealed two shower curtains together in 1956 in the town of Hawthorne, New Jersey. This technique created a smattering of air bubbles which the engineers initially thought would make a great wallpaper! Sales for the wallpaper never materialized, so they moved to selling the product as greenhouse insulation." I can't stop myself from popping that stuff!

Michele - I haven't tried flavoring my homemade yogurt. I just add fruit when I'm ready to eat it.

Kim - Oh, what a shame about your neighbor's English gardens! I'm surprised she thinks lawn will be lower maintenance.

Betsy - I'm very sorry your husband couldn't honor your end of life wishes. My mom and dad both had appropriate paperwork on file, and fortunately all three of their children were on the same page so there was no fighting over those decisions when the time came. It was hard enough even when we were in agreement.

For those of you thinking about end of life issues, Mom and Dad's wonderful minister put together an excellent list of things to think about and compile in one place for your family. You can find it by googling "Steve Sandifer Love List." My best friend died intestate, and it was enough to convince me I didn't want to do that to my family. Just realized that Philip and I need to revise our wills now that Dad is gone.

Had to skim, skim, skim to catch up. My posting may be a little spotty for a few days since I'm working from Dad's river house while we have contractors here doing some work. Now I'm going to extend this break a little further and walk the gazillion steps down the bluff so Luna and I can poke around the river for a bit.

Take care, all!

-Yvonne in TX
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,435 Member
    Options
    @barbiecat I wish I had been withnyounto watch the skating. We don't get it on terrestrial TV any more, and I do miss it.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,826 Member
    Options
    Aww hoping Jake feels better soon..hate feeling sick like that...
    Felicia-im 5 '3 so I looked like a bowling ball..but I've got a bit of pep in my step and will keep moving along..until I get to where I'm comfortable..
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Aww hoping Jake feels better soon..hate feeling sick like that...
    Felicia-im 5 '3 so I looked like a bowling ball..but I've got a bit of pep in my step and will keep moving along..until I get to where I'm comfortable..

That explains the big difference! I am 5'3" (nearly), and every 10 pounds is a dress/pant size for me. The results can be very dramatic!

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,781 Member
    Options
    Allie ... that is a significant difference! Congratulations!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,215 Member
    Options
    ok now that I downloaded photos to laptop ... here we go started Keto Jan ist.. first picture is at my sons birthday party 5 days into Keto and second picture is this morning... only 12 lbs down but its a heck of a difference

Well done! Keep up the good work. :)

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,215 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Home again after a long weekend away. Australia Day made this a 3-day weekend and I took an extra day just 'cause I could!

We stayed in a cute cottage built in the 1860s, but it has been nicely updated.

But back home now where one of the two main bushfires is burning about 30 km away and the air is filled with smoke.

M in Oz

At work again trying to catch up on things.

The main bushfire has jumped the river and is about 28 km away from home now. Very smoky all over the whole of southern Tasmania.

Temp is 30C going to 31C and it's windy. Tomorrow is supposed to be more of the same.

Total fire ban in place.

"On Days of Total Fire Ban, all outdoor fires are banned except electric stoves and barbecues, and gas stoves and barbecues provided they are cleared of flammable material for at least one metre. All barbeques, portable stoves, pizza ovens etc that use wood, charcoal, heat beads or other solid or liquid fuel are banned.

Bush walkers are advised that the only cooking appliance that can be used on Total Fire Ban Days are LPG (Butane or Propane) cookers or stoves providing that they are clear of any flammable material for a distance of 1 metre.

Work practices such as grinding, welding and cutting metal in the open are not permitted. The use of machinery for harvesting etc, may be subject to restrictions or prohibited on the declaration of a total fire ban. All fire permits are automatically suspended."

And yet, they've caught some people lighting campfires over the long weekend!!! There's absolutely no need for that. :rage: They were evicted from the campgrounds, and (I think) fined.

M in Oz
  • Katla49
    Options
    Barbie: I hope Jake feels better soon. :flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,896 Member
    Options
    Had a lovely day yesterday. We went to church and then in the afternoon went to a concert, a male quintet called Common Ground. The bass in the group is our choir director. The 1st tenor sings with the Seattle Symphony. They are a fun group to listen to. After the concert we went to Anthony's Home Port for dinner. DH and kids took me out to celebrate my birthday which is Thursday the 31st. Anthony's is on the waterfront in Everett. I had the best salmon I think I have ever had. It was cooked with what they called "melty leeks", I think probably leeks in butter sauce. Also had broccoli and almond rice. It was wonderful to celebrate with family.

My DH who has been diagnosed with terminal liver cancer has completely changed his wishes now regarding what he wants done. He has now decided to donate his body to medicine and does not want a funeral but a "celebration of life" service. We have seen a lawyer and filed a quit claim so everything is now mine that would have been community property. He has given me a list of passwords and people that he wants notified. He will be included in a Masonic memorial service that his lodge holds once a year for members who have died. All of this is a huge change from what he previously wanted. I think sometimes circumstances make us think through things a little more thoroughly. I know I am now giving this more serious thought.

Allie - Looking good!

KJ - You are one brave lady with the paint inside. Sorry that your little guy does not get fed well at home. That is really sad.

Kim - Hope things work out with the job.

Heather - That is a nasty bug you and DH picked up. Feel better soon. I envy you your walks along the shore.

Lisa - You will do well with the knee surgery because you are determined and will do the exercises.

Rebecca - I waved to you last night. We could see Whidbey Island across the water from the restaurant window.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,736 Member
    Options
    total cal 837. too tired to list forgot to start this morning