WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR JANUARY 2019

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    Home again after a long weekend away. Australia Day made this a 3-day weekend and I took an extra day just 'cause I could!

We stayed in a cute cottage built in the 1860s, but it has been nicely updated.

But back home now where one of the two main bushfires is burning about 30 km away and the air is filled with smoke.

M in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lisa: I’m so sorry for the loss of your Girl Scout membership director. :cry:

Kim: I suspect you would do well working for the park department and it could be a good thing if your city runs well and takes care of things like the park department. Keeping my fingers crossed on that. I have confidence that you will find a work situation that meets your financial needs and fits your interests and skills. :heart:

Machka: I love your baby shower ideas. I wonder if Michele’s daughter would also love them. :flowerforyou:

I just watched the most recent Outlander episode on Stars. I have loved the books since they first came out and own all of them. I am amazed at how well I like the TV production. DH doesn't interfere with my watching, but he refuses to watch with me. :ohwell:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,369 Member
    Options
    Lisa - What a shock and so sad. Sudden death brings us all up short and makes us reassess. Today the sky is blue and, despite my cold, I am grateful to be able to appreciate its beauty.

Betsy - You have such a lot to cope with. <3 All you can do is go along with it. That doctor sounds amazing! I recently watched a programme on just this subject and my feelings are exactly the opposite to your husband's. Like your Mom. Death is a subject of particular interest to me and I have read and watched a lot around the subject. I very much support the hospice movement.
    My DH doesn't like to talk/think about it. Partly because he had such a bad experience with his previous partner dying of cancer. I don't say so to him, but I think she was selfish, in denial, never talked about her death, never made a will, never designated next of kin, and elected to stay at home. As they were never married (together 25 years) she made the passing and the aftermath about as difficult as it could be. You'd think that would encourage him to apply his mind, but he is too scared. He always says, ' You don't know what it's like' and starts crying. It's because I don't want either of us to go through that that I would prefer to do things differently. I hope for a 'good' death. If I had the kind of partner who would help me hasten it if I needed to, I would, but the best I can see him cope with is a hospice. Then I don't want a funeral. I'd rather he spend the money on a really good wake.
    In some cities they have "Death Cafés " where, on certain days of the month, you can join with others in discussing these matters over a cup of coffee. I haven’t been yet, but I would like to.
    The one thing I need/want to do before I die is finish my memoir. I have started on the second volume, my teenage years. There will be three altogether. The first volume is on Amazon, called ME I AM. I'm still thinking about the title of the current volume. :*;)

Today I am taking a 'duvet day'. No exercise, just chillaxing. I deserve/need it. Still sneezing/deep coughing/aching. Lots of tv will be watched and I will get on with my biography of Winston Churchill. America is just entering the war. It has been a steady companion in the nights of coughing for me. DH seems to be on the mend at last. I am worse than him now. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    <3<3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,820 Member
    Options
    another night of not so great sleep, but am up and showered.. believe me when I was married to Tom I kept asking him what he wanted...
    he does have a life insurance policy per the court so in case something happens within the next 9 1/2 yrs to him i still get money for alimony..
    I have my affairs in order, I am the type I want things done and dusted so I dont put my children in the position my dad did to us... I still have a mortgage and hoping somehow to pay that off before I kick the bucket lol..
    my will is in my lock box, the kids split my assets and if for some reason I die and Alfie is still around my dear friend Bev gets him. if she passes then Tom gets him lol, he really does love him and I know he would be well cared for..I have a book of all important passwords in the lock box and that would be for all the automatic payments that come out of the bank...
    also an organ donor... only reason to keep me on machine is for whatever they need, and shake and bake me after that.. oh yea and have a party .. no wake .. and remember the fun times...
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Lisa Haunting circumstances surrounding your friend's sudden death. So sorry for you and for her family.

Karen in Virginia
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Allie shake and bake :D:D:D
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,837 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »

I woke up thinking of Kelly, the membership director who was killed. It was a pedestrian accident, which brought back memories of our Gloria, here on this thread, who's been gone at least a year now. But Kelly was crossing an interstate highway, on foot, at 10:30 p.m. Trying not to dwell on it, but the police investigation is ongoing, and it's hard to imagine how the person driving the car that struck her will deal with it all, as well.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

Sorry about this. :(

• Machka9
    Options
    Back to work after a long-long weekend (4 days). Sigh. I feel like I could do with a month off to catch up on things.

M in Oz
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Kelly ... you did not mention the move for you MIL, but recalling past posts, it would seem it was probably time. A difficult thing to do no matter what the circumstances are. You most definitely need to take a break soon ...

Death book ... I have a very hastily put together pile of information in an envelope on my desk. I've given my younger son my computer password and told him where to find the password master key. My husband and I really need to do better on this.

I have about 2-1/2 feet of snow in the yard with more coming. The sun is shining today and it is another beautiful day!!

Hugs and healing to all who need them!

Beth near Buffalo

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,820 Member
    Options
    Im trying to do side by side photos and it wont even let me put them in grrrr
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Oh, and to the person who asked - We get 20 days of paid time off, either sick days or vacation days, literally beginning your first day of work at this council. One of the more humane policies I've ever worked under. And I let them know during my interview that I was making arrangements to have the surgery done soon, so it won't come as a surprise.

Regards,
    Lisa in AR