• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Beth ~ So glad you made it safely home. <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Well, going out to my son's was a very poor decision. I was there for 2 hours before we could get things settled and was only able to leave just as the storm shifted south and it turned into a blizzard. I confess I was shaking through parts of the drive home which is not highway driving but hills and curves. Cars were off the roads everywhere. I am very thankful to be home and now watching it from inside. Emergency messages on my phones ...police are shutting down everything.

Pip ... of course the cold wouldn't stop you ... but was there wind?? :D

Beth near Buffalo who continues to believe that h*ll is white!

As much as I hate the wind, that doesn’t even stop me. I remember riding and it was 23 out....
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lisa: I hope “Old Yeller” isn’t rabid, but simply rude. I’m glad your sweetie will be at the hospital with you for your surgery. :heart:

Snowflake: I can see Canada’s point in having Scouts of both genders together. I wonder whether it will improve child safety. I hope so. Predators mask themselves all too well. :mad:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Well, going out to my son's was a very poor decision. I was there for 2 hours before we could get things settled and was only able to leave just as the storm shifted south and it turned into a blizzard. I confess I was shaking through parts of the drive home which is not highway driving but hills and curves. Cars were off the roads everywhere. I am very thankful to be home and now watching it from inside. Emergency messages on my phones ...police are shutting down everything.

Pip ... of course the cold wouldn't stop you ... but was there wind?? :D

Beth near Buffalo who continues to believe that h*ll is white!

Oh, Beth so sorry you had to drive through that to get home. I'm thankful you made it. When I still lived in Denver a horrible blizzard started late afternoon, by the time our company said we could leave it was horrible. It took me 2 hours to get home. When I got in the door, I burst into tears. It's no fun.

Big hugs <3

Janetr OKC
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »

Unfortunately, my nickname for the physical therapist is in charge is "Old Yeller." She was four feet from me and yelling throughout the pre-op education class. Fairly sure she's not the in-home PT person, which is a good thing. Not fond of people who yell at me.

Lisa in AR

Oh, Lisa. I was reading too quickly and I thought the PT's nickname for you was "Old Yeller," and that she was calling you that in front of you, yelling to others. I am thankful that the truth was otherwise. :lol:

I hope your surgery goes well and am thankful your husband will be there for you and your immediate recovery.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • OregonMother
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »

Kylia, Lisa, and Rori- I know I have given my take on Girl Scouts v Boy Scouts before, BUT; I think a child's experience in either organization will depend on the leader that they have and the work/interest the child puts into it. I think Girl Scouts offers the same experiences as the Boy Scouts, but each troop does things according to their leader's comfort zone. If you want more than your troop is offering; check with your council, region, and GSUSA. Lots and lots of opportunities to take advantage of. Both my son and my daughter were in scouts. Because I was my daughter's girl scout leader, my youngest son was with me at all of our meetings and a majority of our events. When it was time for him to be able to join Boy Scouts as a Tiger Cub, he was not happy with the way the meetings went and the activities. He lasted a year with them and told me, "I like Girl Scouts better." lol The entire time I was a GS leader it was "inclusive". It was made known to us that it was okay for a boy to join our troop. We never had any boys ask to join our troop, though. AND there is much to be said for the separation of the sexes. By the time the girls in my troop were in high school (our troop went from 24 girls in elementary, down to five in high school), our meetings were biweekly and then a monthly sleep over at our local GS house. The girls belonged to different social/peer groups in school; but they came together once a month and they knew they were in a place where they wouldn't be judged. A safe place where they could talk about anything. Even their peer groups at school and the pressures they felt. I am not sure they could have had that "safe" place with a boy in our troop. Boys need that, too. Oh well, sorry so long. Although I am no longer involved in scouting, it remains to be something I am passionate about.

I'm glad you mentioned this, KJ. I was in scouts, back in the 70s, and while we didn't have guys in my age group, the high school group (at the time) did have a couple boys. I was surprised when Lisa said that GS had always been single sex and never allowed boys. Now, maybe the boys weren't officially, on the record, members of girl scouting, but they were sure there and participating in everything and were considered part of the group.

I do see the benefits of single sex groups (and even education). The thing is, the research I've seen says that it benefits girls, but it is not much of a benefit to boys. I taught for a semester at a men's only college, and I do remember one time in class the conversation got a little rough, and somebody yelled out, "It's okay. We're all guys here!" I was like, "Excuse me???" Their response: "Oh, you don't count! You're just one of us." I'm not sure what that had to do with scouting, exactly, but boys don't always behave politely when girls aren't around, so I was in favor of boy scouts opening up to girls.

Felicia
  • OregonMother
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Machka- I am glad you are getting an MRI to get your hip checked out. Did you fall? Curious as to why she thinks you have fractured it. I would have bet any amount of money it was a nerve/muscle issue. Either way, rest up! Sending hugs!
    ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

She got me to do a whole bunch of things. One of the things I could not do was to hop with my right leg. I could with my left, but couldn't even get one hop out with my right ... no strength and lots of pain. I would have thrown up if she had insisted.

She ran me through a bunch of other tests and said that my muscle strength is not bad and my range of motion isn't bad, but when it comes to any kind of pressure that involves the hip area, I can't do it. I guess I'm showing all the signs of a hip fracture.

Also for two weeks now, I've barely been able to walk, and things like climbing stairs has been a massive, and painful challenge.

She thinks it is a stress fracture which may have started up in November, but the half-marathon moved it into something more serious.

M in Oz

I'm so sorry. When I had my hip issue, like you, I just pushed through it -- kept running, racing, etc. I finally went in and told the doc, "I want to see exactly how stupid I've been," and they immediately did an x-ray. Fortunately, I didn't have a fracture -- just the SI joint disfunction. Let's hope for a better outcome for you, as well.

Felicia
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    Uuuuuuuuuuu
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Beth so glad you made it home okay, driving in those conditions is one of my biggest fears, I am a snow wuss. DH had to drive home in a "snow squall" today, not a blizzard but visibility was horrible, I was biting my nails waiting for him to get home.

Kelly I hope you picked a movie to watch 'cause you work so hard!!! You accomplished more during your snow day than I could hope to accomplish in 3 days off! ;)

Did exercise today but am in an overeating spiral right now, tomorrow is another day.

NYKAREN
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    <3:)<3
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »
    lanette I’m fessin’ up, ‘‘twas my bday this past weekend. You all might remember that my DH and I have the same b’day and we decided to make it our wedding day as well. So.... happy Birth-iversary ;) to us!

Funny that we are discussing legal estate decisions of late here. We are helping DH’s mom redo her will as well as our own. You just never know and at least you’ll have the basics set up.

Stay warm and safe everyone. NYKAREN

Congrats!! :)