WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2019

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,265 Member
    edited February 2019
    Barbie - our snow total was around 5" and it "settled" during the day yesterday so our private road was slushy in places. It's 22 outside right now so it's back to "crunchy". You are doing a great job getting in your steps! And walking outside in snow has to be burning lots of calories. Forecast here this afternoon/evening is additional 1 to 3 inches.

Kim - I smiled at your description of the reasons to eat: _______=eat. I think that's me too, lol.

Our dogs are wearing their sweaters inside and out these past few days. The weather was so nice when I took them to be groomed a few weeks ago, I said "clip them short". Welp. But, one of the good things about them being clipped right now is their legs don't pick up snowballs.

Pip - loved your photos of your walk in the snow! I'm hesitant to venture out very far in this snow/possible ice - not because of the cold, I don't want to risk falling on my GOOD shoulder and messing it up. So am content to be home-bound for a few days.

Put my thawing shoulder through the torture yesterday. Really worked over the painful spots= acupressure. Push on them until I'm ready to throw up. Push a weight up over my head and hold it until I'm ready to throw up. Pull left arm behind my back until I'm ready to throw up. Lisa, thinking of you the whole time. EDIT- amazing what docs can do with some plastic and hardware that really improves a person's quality of life for decades. Glad you had it done. Can you believe that photo is of your knee? :) Amazing.

Barbara - you fell asleep on the floor doing your SWSY? You must have a comfy floor. B) A couple days ago my DH was sitting on the couch and got sleepy, I told him to kick the dog off and stretch out. He didn't and all of a sudden he just tipped over sideways on it. Kind of scared me - he was breathing normally so I just let him be for a few minutes then gradually made a wee bit of noise so see if he'd wake up. He did and was fine. If he does it again I'm going to worry. :| Glad you got your trees cut at a good price. Interesting about trimming up the evergreens for fire prevention - we purchased some property that was once a tree farm that are trimmed up like that and now we know why.

Machka and RDWells - enjoying your photos of sunny warm weather!!

Re taxes - pleasant surprise that only a small portion of our social security income was taxable which brought our AGI (adjusted gross income) way down. 2018 was our first year of me drawing social security the whole year and not working. Our county property taxes are on the way back up thanks to the great economy here, mixed blessing. Good if we have to sell, bad if we have to buy. Another reason for staying put as long as we can.

Making chicken & veg curry today. Have half of a rotisserie chicken in the fridge so will dice that up and add loads of veggies and a can of drained chickpeas. Have a delicata squash I'll peel and dice up to add as well. I used up all my small pyrex freezer containers to store frozen lentil soup. So will use wide-mouth canning jars to freeze the excess curry now that I'm getting some room in the big freezer.

Beth - that's a good looking vegetable box! Looks tons better than a lot of the #1 stuff available in the stores these days.

Sun coming up. Time to enjoy the sunrise and our winter wonderland... <3B)

Lanette
    Cold & sparkly SW WA State
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,460 Member
    Machka the "look who's all grown up..." meme made me laugh out loud. Yep, that's me, quintessential boomer. Still working on the grown up part tho'...
    KJ pretty sure I just drifted off to sleep, wasn't exerting hard enough to pass out, just burning those ol' hip muscles. ;}
    Lisa :sick: picture, great re-framing!
    Lanette have foam gym mats on carpeting so floor is quite cushy ;}

No whitecaps, so perhaps the wind is done for now. A friend once shared an old Russian proverb: "The cathedral is near, but the roads are icy. The tavern is far so I must walk carefully!" :)
    rq4ah4qltfi0.jpg
    xdskdbp4ffhn.jpg

Power was out when I awoke, blipped back on soon thereafter. Joe had already stirred up the fire in the woodstove, filled camp coffeepot with water and had it hot for my tea. I am sooooo spoiled ;)

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    walk one more step 9/28, 60 g protein 9/28, rx/vits 9/28, meditate 9/28, knee exercises 9/28, SWSY 2/8, play with Tumble 8/28, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 5/28.
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD!
    02/10 LT: Open the Wahoo box and setup the software- MT: woodland mgt notebook-, ST: T'ai Chi voice memo email to Roy-

• donnafo
    donnafo Posts: 2 Member
    New here! Love all the comments. I am back to MFP! After a few years of maintaining my goal weight, 6 lbs crept back up on me. I do not want to have to buy new clothes! I attribute the gain to stress (mom with dementia moving in with me), cold weather (can't run outside), and most recently, recovering from a cold. Sugar is my weakness. My snack calories are out of control.
  • jean2427
    jean2427 Posts: 1 Member
    This seems like a great discussion page. I am over 50, single and trying to lose some weight that has crept up on me, eat better (lose the sugar!)cand learn how to get exercise into my life on a regular basis. I lost the somewhat easier first 5 pounds (should tell you how i was eating:)) and trying to lose a second 5 pounds by the end of February- thinking 2lbs/week is a healthy goal. Following everyones lead:

February Goals:

LOG LOG LOG (as someone wrote above)
    1400 calories a day
    At least 6000 steps per day OR exercise class

Glad to be here!

Jeannie

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,406 Member
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Good morning all! Happy Sunday! My last kid left last night at 10:30 and I was in bed by 11:00. Fell asleep with the luxurious feeling of not having to set my alarm clock and being able to sleep in. Guess who woke up at 5:30, anyway? :/ I laid in bed until 6am trying to sleep; but my brain and body was having none of that. So baggy sweater and yoga pants on, coffee beside me and I am here.
    Not sure what is going on with my knee, but after grocery shopping yesterday I have had a pain (coming and going) right below the knee. I must have pulled something and not realized it? But it is not all of the time. No swelling. Maybe I just need to spend the day off my leg? lol That is my plan for the day, actually. I may grab my leg brace and put that on, just to give some support and stability on that leg when I walk around today.
    Lanette- Ever since Joaquin had to get the helmet, my brain has been more "aware" of babies in helmets. Joaquin's helmet is stored, now. Though we enjoy looking at the baby pics of him wearing it. Never phased him at all.ckqtanwbo3pu.jpg
    Karen VA- <3<3 Olivia! <3<3 I knew her birthday was coming up! Janet's Mia should be turning two soon as well! Such a sweet face! Those eyes!
    Barbie- I love the way you are committed to your 10,000 steps. I giggled when I visualized you fervently walking in the house to get them in before bed. When I commit myself to something I am the same way, and I can't let it go because my brain will nag about it. But, most times it is worth the effort just to get your brain to say, "OKay! We're good!" Shoveling is a huge work out and it IS listed in the exercises on mfp. With the looks of that snow (it looks wet and heavy) it is a big calorie burner. You will probably feel every muscle you used, tomorrow.
    Heather- So happy to hear you are getting back to your normal routines! Having just moved into your new place, you might not have any "recycle" type materials lying around; but if you had any cardboard or empty oatmeal containers, tp tubes, paper towel tubes, etc.; sometimes the kids like to create things with it (or at the very least make a road with ramps and tunnels for little cars to travel through). You could also make some playdoh, give them cookie cutters, rollers, etc and let them play with that. The recipe I use is: In a pan, MIX 1 c flour, 2t cream of tartar, 1/2 c salt, 1 pkg unsweetened kool-aid (optional for color and scent); ADD 1T cooking oil, 1 c water. Mix well and cook over medium heat until the mixture forms a ball. Place on a clean surface and carefully (because it is hot) knead until cool. It will stay fresh in an airtight container for many months.
    Like you, I would rather be outside with the kids. I think it is more enjoyable for all of us; but just thought I would toss a couple of suggestions for inside activities your way. I am sure you will have a fun day together! Love that DH is their favorite play thing!
    Machka- Love the photos!
    Barbara- FIRST, falling asleep during your workout (so quickly) is concerning? Are you sure you fell asleep and didn't pass out? SECONDLY, Yea for Joe taking the advice of the fireman in regards to the tree trimming and the stove! lol Men are weird!
    Beth and Karen NY- We have had to pay in $6-10K every year, due to my daycare business. We actually have a savings account set aside specifically for tax time. WE haven't gotten a return in many, many years. This year I shouldn't be paying as much because we are only factoring in my income. BUT, we also have had nothing to put into the tax savings; so we will have to go on a payment plan with the IRS.
    Kim- I got a giggle from your all encompassing emotional eating. I think about food all of the time; so I could easily be an all emotion eater. But I can resist, most of the time. I AM a big stress eater, though. That is the hardest time for me to resist food. Unfortunately, that is also the emotion that tells our body we are in trouble and need to hang onto and store all calories. Ugh!
    Pip- Why the sweaters on the pups in the snow? Is it to keep them from getting too cold? Too snowy? They look like they are enjoying it all! Shoveling is a great alternative to a gym work out. I have a good sized driveway (can fit 10-12 cars), so I know I am getting in some walking, plus the pushing and lifting of the snow is equal to some great weight/reisitance work outs. Have fun!

There are more of you that are staying in my mind and hearts, but my brain is not focusing well. Maybe I will go lie down and see if I can get a couple more hours of sleep. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

less for me to clean off when they get inside for the kids
  • pipcd34
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Barbie - our snow total was around 5" and it "settled" during the day yesterday so our private road was slushy in places. It's 22 outside right now so it's back to "crunchy". You are doing a great job getting in your steps! And walking outside in snow has to be burning lots of calories. Forecast here this afternoon/evening is additional 1 to 3 inches.

Kim - I smiled at your description of the reasons to eat: _______=eat. I think that's me too, lol.

Our dogs are wearing their sweaters inside and out these past few days. The weather was so nice when I took them to be groomed a few weeks ago, I said "clip them short". Welp. But, one of the good things about them being clipped right now is their legs don't pick up snowballs.

Pip - loved your photos of your walk in the snow! I'm hesitant to venture out very far in this snow/possible ice - not because of the cold, I don't want to risk falling on my GOOD shoulder and messing it up. So am content to be home-bound for a few days.

Put my thawing shoulder through the torture yesterday. Really worked over the painful spots= acupressure. Push on them until I'm ready to throw up. Push a weight up over my head and hold it until I'm ready to throw up. Pull left arm behind my back until I'm ready to throw up. Lisa, thinking of you the whole time. EDIT- amazing what docs can do with some plastic and hardware that really improves a person's quality of life for decades. Glad you had it done. Can you believe that photo is of your knee? :) Amazing.

Barbara - you fell asleep on the floor doing your SWSY? You must have a comfy floor. B) A couple days ago my DH was sitting on the couch and got sleepy, I told him to kick the dog off and stretch out. He didn't and all of a sudden he just tipped over sideways on it. Kind of scared me - he was breathing normally so I just let him be for a few minutes then gradually made a wee bit of noise so see if he'd wake up. He did and was fine. If he does it again I'm going to worry. :| Glad you got your trees cut at a good price. Interesting about trimming up the evergreens for fire prevention - we purchased some property that was once a tree farm that are trimmed up like that and now we know why.

Machka and RDWells - enjoying your photos of sunny warm weather!!

Re taxes - pleasant surprise that only a small portion of our social security income was taxable which brought our AGI (adjusted gross income) way down. 2018 was our first year of me drawing social security the whole year and not working. Our county property taxes are on the way back up thanks to the great economy here, mixed blessing. Good if we have to sell, bad if we have to buy. Another reason for staying put as long as we can.

Making chicken & veg curry today. Have half of a rotisserie chicken in the fridge so will dice that up and add loads of veggies and a can of drained chickpeas. Have a delicata squash I'll peel and dice up to add as well. I used up all my small pyrex freezer containers to store frozen lentil soup. So will use wide-mouth canning jars to freeze the excess curry now that I'm getting some room in the big freezer.

Beth - that's a good looking vegetable box! Looks tons better than a lot of the #1 stuff available in the stores these days.

Sun coming up. Time to enjoy the sunrise and our winter wonderland... <3B)

Lanette
    Cold & sparkly SW WA State

guess I'm not as smart as u.. :0)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,620 Member
    afternoon ladies
    I am on a roll, fed DFIL and came home and threw clothes in dryer.. and got to cookin,,I love to cook but with just for me its very hard.. I cooked for Tom.. and I guess Elena does too, but not as good as I did ( he he)
    anyway I found a bangin coconut lime skirt steak recipe, and keto meatballs
    ladies~ I am on fire.. whoooey the meatballs are done and i had a taste, moist tender and now slow simmer in homemade sauce with a little Rao put in.. just cooking off the steak will cup up for salads..now onto the dishes.. and will be going down to the local watering whole to listen to my friends band play..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,092 Member
    Relieved the afternoon went well. <3 We did a lot of music making, singing in Spanish, playing prisons, drawing, hospitals (broken legs with wooden spoons and toilet roll) , outside play (trampolining) , picking out emotional stones! and acting the emotion, eating gingerbread kitties, 5 second rule game, and wonderful mummy game. DS drove us home, which was great as we had heavy shopping.
    DH is now watching the England Rugby game I recorded for him. (I know they comprehensively won, but he doesn't want to know) :D<3
    We were so happy to enable DS and DDIL to have an afternoon off to eat Japanese lunch together and go to a concert of their favourite music. Sooooooooooooo important to have time for each other.
    Good tv this evening - new series of Endeavour. :)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,730 Member
    ;)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,620 Member
    well I ran a load in the dishwasher and will probably hop in the shower in a bit.. might as well take one today instead of the morning... I always wear earplugs when I go listen to bands inside.. I can still have conversation but , all the background and loud noise sort of get drowned out..have boneless skinless chicken breasts and turkey cutlets that I got at whole foods yesterday I have to season and get in the freezer , might do that next
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Love the ship picture Janetr

💗Rebecca
  • pipcd34
    41eb9bo7yre6.jpeg
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,265 Member
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    41eb9bo7yre6.jpeg

Pip - is this right now? Sunny at our house south of Olympia. Lanette