WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2019

Options

Replies

• suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Yucky cloudy, cold, drizzle day. Makes me want to stay in my jammies and read. Hope everyone is doing ok today.
    Pip- take care of you and take it easy for a few days.
    SueBDew in TX
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,844 Member
    Options
    Here I am sitting at the laundromat. I had bloodwork done this morning that had to be fasting. I was counting on some bullet proof coffee after the blood draw but the shop wasn’t opened yet once the blood was drawn. Then walked to the laundromat where DH had started the wash. :o

He did ok now hungry and waiting for dryer to finish.

Laters!
    RV Rita
  • PurpleSparkles85
    PurpleSparkles85 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Michele, you are a wonder! If I could get to that level of motivation and exercise, I’d die of amazement!

Was running amok yesterday, so I read and caught up. The dietician and I are teaching and learning together on things, neither of us having worked with mast cell diseases before. Breakfast is my favorite meal, and has been the hardest meal to negotiate. Needing to get creative to get more protein and fiber in at breakfast so that my blood sugar doesn’t crash at 10:30 every morning is hard. Tried a new homemade protein powder on my oatmeal this morning, pretty good. Maybe I can find a good recipe for protein bars to use it in, negotiating around things that I can’t have.

Our daughter made some amazing homemade cream puffs for my husband’s birthday today. I still think she should be a pastry chef, and she will be in demand with her friends for desserts at parties. Baking is her stress reliever.

Off to get my hair cut! Check in later.

Kathy in KY, back in the miserable rain and flooding😫
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,087 Member
    Options
    Up to pg 46 (18 Feb). Will keep reading until hubs calls me for dinner.

Tracy: Love those invites.
    Lisa in AR: I had the same experience when I had my hip done. I don’t usually like to take meds, but my niece (a doctor) made me promise, and I’m glad I paid her heed. I did extra physio every day, and walked into my 1st Physio appointment without a cane and she upped my physio immediately. I was driving at 3 weeks. I know that the knee op is much more serious, so kudos to you for doing so well.
    Macula (((hugs))) love 💕 the kitty cats. (And Sheldon).

I started dyeing my hair blonde in my 30’s after being every colour under the sun. I stopped about 12 years ago when I couldn’t tell if I needed my roots done or not. 😂 😂 😂 It saved me a lot of money each month.

☘️Iris Terri
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    MFP recently published a study of IF. The conclusion was as expected. CICO is the key to weight loss. IF can help with that by giving you less opportunity to eat. It also can help with regulating blood sugar. If your blood sugar levels are normal there is nothing to be gained by IF. Any diet can work in the short term, but in the end it comes down to CICO, especially if you want to stick to it long term.
    As Barbie often says, the best diet is the one you can stick to. And enjoy, I would add. Most of us have lives to lead that do not sit well with very restricted diets.
    It is also important to remember that our planet's future depends on us eating more plants and less meat. The meat we eat should be of high quality. A recent study showed that we need to eat much less meat for our health and the health of the planet.

Tonight I had fresh pasta for the first time in ages. Fresh pesto. Loads of calories, but I really enjoyed it. I compensated in advance by doing an extra hour on the recumbent bike. Watching a favourite TV programme. I've barely squeaked in, but I'm a happy bunny. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

• TerriRichardson112
    Options
    Allie: so sorry to hear that you have hit so many rocks recently. (((Hugs)))

Beth: WOW! So pleased you found out about the gas problem. The mind boggles at what could have happened if you hadn’t got that bill and investigated.

Machka: I’m somewhere between kitty 3 and kitty 9.

Had my 2nd Boditrax assessment today, and the results are heartening.

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Beth you are so right about food waste in US. I am trying to amend my habits and not Throw out so many leftovers. I am getting better at it. Another thing I’m looking into is composting. I have my research ahead of me but if I could make my own compost it would be cheaper for my garden and less of my food waste going into the landfill.

I head back home tomorrow, so so happy to headed home after a very special time with DH

Ciao, NYKAREN-Italia
  • TerriRichardson112
    Options
    Re food: We have gradually reduced our food waste over the last 3 years. We mostly cook our own food and have decreased our consumption of meat and processed foods. I often return unsatisfactory food to our local supermarket, usually because it goes off before the use by date. It’s a matter of principle with me. I have always taken back anything I wasn’t happy with.

Why should I pay for it if it isn’t up to scratch? 😂

Finally caught up, just before my battery dies. 😂

☘️ Irish Terri
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,545 Member
    Options
    Llll
  • b4leaving
    b4leaving Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Sharon - it's sometimes so hard to socialize cats. We have had a few feral cats who were tough to socialize.. some of them come out of it and some don't. I'm very worried these boys will find it hard to acclimate. They've lived their entire life in a shelter, and I don't even think they have a window in the room they've been in. It's so sad. But now they get to live a great life! I am very excited. We pick them up tomorrow! I'm glad your physical therapy is helping. Keep up the great work!

Happy day to everyone!

Shannon in rural Ontario, Canada
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Beth thanks for all the information.. home and in jammies...
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,337 Member
    Options
    Just popping in. Snowing like MAD here right now, possible 1-3 inches on Sunday, 3-5 on Monday. I swear the teleporter has picked up the whole neighborhood and moved it to the Midwest.

Glad I got my shots and groceries this morning and have LOTS of books to read.

Need to read todays posts so I'll be back. <3

Lanette
    Snowy and chilly - 35f SW WA State
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Food Waste ... is a huge problem in the US. It is evident that many in this country have no experience with food scarcity.
    Beth
    klanders30 wrote: »
    Beth you are so right about food waste in US. I am trying to amend my habits and not Throw out so many leftovers. I am getting better at it. Another thing I’m looking into is composting. I have my research ahead of me but if I could make my own compost it would be cheaper for my garden and less of my food waste going into the landfill.

One of the things we did a number of years ago was to switch from fresh veggies to frozen. We still do get some fresh veggies if we know we're going to eat them, but what was happening was that we'd buy a bunch of veggies, then not feel hungry for them, or go out to eat instead, or misjudge how much we'd eat or whatever, and once a month we'd be emptying the lower part of the fridge into the bin because it had all gone off.

Switching to frozen means that we've always got veggies on hand and can eat them whenever we want them and we're not tossing them out. Even when they have spent a bit too long in the freezer, I can dump them into a chicken veggie curry in the slow cooker, and they're fine.

Buying a freezer was another thing that reduced our waste. We've dramatically reduced the amount of meat we eat, but what we do get, goes into the freezer. Leftovers can also go into the freezer. When my husband was recovering from his accident and I felt like using my slow cooker, I made a bunch of meals and popped them into the freezer to have later when I knew I'd be busier.

We've also gotten pretty good at estimating what we need to eat for each meal ... that helps.

And my husband does do some composting. :)

Oh also, I have found that if I've got a bowl of fruit right in front of me, I tend to eat it. But if the fruit is tucked into the back of the fridge, I forget about it. So that's another trick.

M in Oz

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,545 Member
    Options
    z4g4se5k68ds.jpeg
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,917 Member
    Options
    :)Machka, I started buying frozen veggies for exactly the same reason. We have a big freezer and always have frozen veggies available and don't have to worry about throwing things out. Jake bought a gadget for packaging meat for freezing so we can buy larger packages and freeze the meat in portions that are the right size for us. And we make big batches of favorite foods and freeze some for later. We have a composter in the back yard for egg shells, coffee grounds, tea bags and the occasional fresh fruit or vegetable peel. We almost never have any food to throw out.

:) No snow here today, just a few hours of rain.

<3 Barbie from warmer NW WA
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,844 Member
    Options
    ;)