WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2019

Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Dana oops I see it was your husband's birthday, not yours. Happy Birthday to him!

Going to work today.

Molly is nudging my hand. Sweet doggie.

Karen in Virginia
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,691 Member
    Options
    Barbara in Oregon ~ Tom and I got the same one, love cooking with gas, unfortunately I can't have it here...and electric everything ... oh well thats the downfall..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Barbara - LOVE your new stove! What a great idea to have propane. It's quite normal in rural France. No one wants to cook on electric, but I gather the newest induction ones are good. I love my gas.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :)Barbara, Your new stove is beautiful.

:)Kim, I feel for your financial dilemma about healthy eating. I know you are already super frugal in all areas so you don't have any other areas of discretionary spending that you can eliminate.

:) I grew up with electric stoves and that's how I learned to cook. In 1999 we bought a house with a gas stove and within six months we'd had the house wired for an electric stove so I could go back to my familiar way of cooking. There is no natural gas where I live so anyone who has a gas stove here, is using propane.

:) I got up early this morning. My walking friend has other plans so I can go for the after breakfast walk as early as I want so we'll be back to walking in the dark for the first hour.

<3 Barbie from NW WA

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    On Cooktops - I learned to cook on a gas stove. We got a Jenn-aire electric stove when I was in late grade school so I learned to cook on that as well. When my parents divorced, my Dad had gas so I cooked on electric at Mom's and gas at Dad's. When we married, we had gas, and then electric and now gas, well, propane. I always have a learning curve going back and forth, I have to remember that when you turn off the electric burner, it stays hot so if you leave the pan on it things will burn. We had a Jenn-aire at the last house....I miss it. I loved the grill. I used it often to grill veggies, bread and sometimes even chicken :smile: . When we were moving over here, the real estate agent was all excited to point out that the kitchen had a 5 burner cook top......I said that was great, only one less than my cooktop at my present house. To be fair, two of those burners were taken up by the grill so I only had 4 burners remaining. One of my best friends did a remodel a few years ago and put in induction, she wasn't a huge fan. When they moved and she redid the kitchen in the new house, she put in gas.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka: I followed the link to Windy and discovered a place called St. Helens, Tasmania. I live in St Helens, OR. I hope your wind does not become damaging. :bigsmile:

Barbara: The new stove looks like a great place to cook. I hope you enjoy cooking on it. Five burners is something I’ve never seen before. :star:

Heather: Your DH is an EXCELLENT grandfather. :heart:

Carol; I’m sorry to hear that your BnL is such a poor housekeeper. Is he blind, disabled or lazy? If he is disabled, I wonder whether he could have someone in to clean on a regular basis. :ohwell:

We have a trail ride planned for today. I hope that the weather cooperates and it is a good day. Overcast skies are just fine as long as they don’t’ start to leak. Tuesday I have a doctor’s appointment to have a lump on my shoulder removed and tested to see what it is. As a child I had MANY sunburns on my shoulders & face. This one doesn't look like a melanoma. I'm hoping it will be benign and not a health risk.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    Kim - Budgeting healthier foods is harder to do. I think that’s a big reason I have only really been maintaining this winter. Groceries have gotten more and more expensive. So have all of our monthly bills. Gas prices are high here too. Not in comparison to other places but, about 20-25 cents higher than average here. I wouldn’t mind the higher gas prices if it meant that the industry was recovering and people were getting back to work. That’s not the case though. I read an article yesterday that it is estimated there are still 160K Albertans out of work.

Machka - crazy gas prices, is that normal or is it high? I love the pictures you post of your walks and scenery.

Pat - I’ve always heard that too about finding work while you’re employed, unfortunately my company closed the office so I’ve been stuck. Over 200 resumes sent out and only one interview so far. I have heard from others that are out of work it is about 7-8 months on average before they are finding jobs. A lot of very experienced, talented people out of work right now. Adorable Great Gson and I agree about the colour palette for clothes this year.

Barbara - what a pretty new stove. I bet you’ll enjoy cooking on that.

Heather - Max and DH look like they are having great fun!

Barbie - I learned how to cook on electric too so I’m with you. I only ever used gas in a restaurant and I never did any real cooking on it as I mostly waitressed.

Carol - Sorry you found such a state at your BnL’s house. I always feel bad for people that live like that it just isn’t a healthy way to live. I often wonder what would happen to my husband if something were to happen to me. He doesn’t pick up after himself as he should.

Katla - enjoy your ride today and I hope you get your results fast so you aren’t left worrying for a long time.

I am taking the Grands today so that my son in law is able to go game with friends while Lauryn is at work. This gives us visiting time and Ryan actually gets a day off. He and Lauryn work opposite days so they don’t have to pay for daycare. When I offered to take them he thanked me and told me he would smile nicely in our family photos next Sunday. Now to convince Jonah to smile nicely.

I made my doughnuts yesterday and ate 1 after they were cooked. I will send some home with the Grands tonight, otherwise I will end up throwing some out. I don’t have enough room in my freezer to freeze them like my Grandmother used to do. I would like to have a small apartment sized freezer, but I don’t know where I would put it. As it is, I’m trying to figure out how to get a smaller china cabinet and still fit my dishes and crystal in it.

It is foggy here again today but not as bad as yesterday. We live right beside the airport and I read last night that all flights coming in and going out were cancelled yesterday from early morning until 1 in the afternoon.

Have a great day everyone!
    Tracey In Edmonton
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Katla - hope everything is fine for your small op. <3

DH and Max ended up making catapults. I had paper pellets fired at me. :D As he left he said "We had SUCH fun!" Aaahhhh! :D

I'm now dressed up for the Swing Dance. I don't have a suitable Lindy Hop costume, (tho I might buy a skirt from Amazon) but I found a very old dress I've had since the late 80s with a full skirt and a top laced across the bust. :o This was the dress I used to wear when I was trying to seduce a new prospect! ! I haven't told DH that, but it has some racy memories! I don't keep many clothes, but this one was special. Never, ever thought I would wear it again! If anything, it is slightly loose on me! :DB)
    We've decided to have our dinner in two halves as the dance is from 5 - 8. Just had the first half and I hope it lasts me. I'm not nice when I'm hungry. >:)
    DH is wearing a summer half sleeve brightly printed shirt and some bright blue jeans.

Never been to one of these dances before, but we can always go home if we don't like it. The music should be good, live Big Band and demonstration dances. We still can't actually dance, even though we've been to loads of lessons!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • skinnykins432
    skinnykins432 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I'm late at finding this thread as I have made my plan to start losing weight from tomorrow.
    I'm 58 and only 5' 2" but now weigh 10 stone 10lbs after bad eating over six months.
    Time for me to get back on track.
    Wish me luck xx
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,826 Member
    Options
    NSV!! I bought 2 pairs of jean shorts size 12-14 and they fit a little loose! First time in 15 years I’ve been below a size 16!

I read that the older you are and the more insulin resistant the longer it takes for your body to turn to fat burning. Been on LCHF (version of KETO) since December and only recently seen a really steady loss.

So I am happy about my lifestyle changes right now! My DH is now onboard too so very happy with my life since a long time!

DH’ s colonoscopy done with 3 polyps removed this time. He had 7 three years ago. Gotta wait 2 weeks for results of biopsy, but his diet changes may make thing ok.

Only problem I am now facing is burns from lime dusk as a result of sanding the buoys for the park without protection or realizing it was lime dust not salt. Lips, nose edge, and a couple of fingers really sore. Lips worst.

RV Rita who learned the hard way!
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Skinnykins ... Welcome!

Allie ... perseverance is paying off! Congrats on another pound lost.

Barbara ... I love the stove! I have a similar burner configuration but have never used the middle one.

Machka ... kudos to you for cooking in the fireplace!

It was a good week. My youngest was home and we had some good chats. I confess it was really hard for me to see him off this morning. Got a little teary. The tears were tempered today by a 3 pound loss on the scales for the week! Now down a total of 19.5 pounds (1.625 per week) since the first of the year!

Lanette ... I didn't forget your request on the 19:5 lifestyle.
    http://www.bertherring.com This is Dr. Herring's website. Under free tools is a free download of his first book -- The Fast Five Diet --which simply states the premise of 19:5. The only correction he has made since in was first published is he no longer recommends artificial sweeteners during the fasting period. He has since written a book called The Power of Appetite Correction that restates the premise of 19:5 and adds some ideas and strategies to be successful. His website alone has some very interesting information and in several places there are TedTalks that discuss the science (as much as there is right now) in regard to fasting. There are many who look at this lifestyle as a quick fix, but if you really read the recommendations and look at the science, this is a slow process that requires individual adjusting ... which is why I like it.

Beth near Buffalo
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,691 Member
    Options
    Like Rita said it is just now that the weight is starting to drop and I started Jan 1st, so I am a month behind her.
    but I am still in 16-18, but the summer clothes I picked up are 12-14 .. and my swimsuit I bought is a 12, so here is hoping by then I will be able to fit in them...
    but not gonna worry, this way of eating has given me more energy and I feel better than I have in years..although I have been bending and carrying heavy stuff and am a bit sore so I took tylenol.. I got the gate up that was nagging me, and spray painted the collage frame, put the bedding in storage and moved out the 3 bar stools that just dont fit at my place out for some to take...
    I am having a cup of tea.. and relaxing and will go to my friend Bev's house this afternoon, if something should happen to me, it is in my will that Bev gets Alfie... she loves him so..
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Still no word, but heck its the weekend!
    Its hard when you want something so bad, and your life's in limbo until you hear. Our son has a detachment down to California next month too! Hoping we can organize it so he is home when we move!
    💗Rebecca
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    congrats Rita that is an awesome NSV

I TOO Am in LOVE with
    Barbara ‘s stove, hubba hubba

I slept in this a.m. after a stressful 2 days of adjudication of young string students. Lunches and dinner choice weren’t great but the conversation with different generations of teachers is always remarkable. I love that I work with folks of all ages-truly inspiring.

Today my instant pot got a work out, hard boiled eggs, bone broth and apple/pear sauce one after the other, next up yogurt, but that takes at least 8 hours. I also made a wonderful chickpea and vegetable salad to eat all week over greens of in a wrap. Now I am relaxing, maybe I will even nap!

Feeling Springy, NYKAREN
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Skinnykins ... Welcome!

Allie ... perseverance is paying off! Congrats on another pound lost.

Barbara ... I love the stove! I have a similar burner configuration but have never used the middle one.

Machka ... kudos to you for cooking in the fireplace!

It was a good week. My youngest was home and we had some good chats. I confess it was really hard for me to see him off this morning. Got a little teary. The tears were tempered today by a 3 pound loss on the scales for the week! Now down a total of 19.5 pounds (1.625 per week) since the first of the year!

Lanette ... I didn't forget your request on the 19:5 lifestyle.
    http://www.bertherring.com This is Dr. Herring's website. Under free tools is a free download of his first book -- The Fast Five Diet --which simply states the premise of 19:5. The only correction he has made since in was first published is he no longer recommends artificial sweeteners during the fasting period. He has since written a book called The Power of Appetite Correction that restates the premise of 19:5 and adds some ideas and strategies to be successful. His website alone has some very interesting information and in several places there are TedTalks that discuss the science (as much as there is right now) in regard to fasting. There are many who look at this lifestyle as a quick fix, but if you really read the recommendations and look at the science, this is a slow process that requires individual adjusting ... which is why I like it.

Beth near Buffalo

Beth
    - Thank you! I bookmarked it and will check it out shortly. So glad it's working for you. Congrats on the 19.5 lb loss!

Lanette
    Sunny & cool SW WA State
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    h1smjck240ym.jpg
    Kirby when I met him