WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2019

Options

Replies

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,488 Member
    Options
    Pat oh those GGS's eyes!
    Heather :love: DH and Max with their masks! Want to see a pic of you in that dress!
    Machka you amaze me. The one time I tried to bake bread in a wood stove, well, let's say mediocre would have been a miraculous improvement. Meringues on a dutch oven in a fireplace? No way?!?
    Okie my aunt Elsie's stove also has a central griddle that I loved.
    Carol, growing up our gas wall heater's pilot light would go out and since it was on the bottom near the floor and I was more nimble (then) than Mama and Papa, it was my job to relight it. Got used to pilot lights real quick!
    Katla the center burner is long and narrow to accommodate a griddle or extra large pan. Trouble is, if you're using the griddle for pancakes it overlaps the big burners I'd use for bacon ;}. Will send good thoughts Tuesday for quick benign results while I'm sitting in the dental chair (yuck).
    Tracey "160K Albertans out of work?" Yikes!
    Rita NSV Yay! Lime dust burns Boo!
    NYKaren Chickpea salad, sounds yummy, share recipe?
    Beth 3 pounds? Brava!!!
    pip love Kirby's golden locks ;)
    Karen in VA and all yesss I am a very very very happy gal about the new stove. Only thing it doesn't do is self clean the cooktop and grates ;)
    Rori thanks for the Meg update. I love my Wahoo HRM and associated app.
    Kim glad the camp job will stay as yours. Too bad you can't eat those weeds ;)
    Rebecca beautiful soon-to-be-grandbaby pic! Your DIL almost looks like she could SUmo wrestle. (from one gaijin to another ;>)
    Kate let me know how your mini-trampoline goes, they always appealed to me too.
    Dana golfball sized hail? :Noway:
    Pat in OH your green beans sound delish! Reminds me I want to blanch some haricots and make salad with cucumbers and onions.
    Welcome Skinnykins432!

Next posting will include the story and a picture of Aunt Elsie's stove, but that's it for now.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    walk one more step 24/31, 60 g protein 21/31, rx/vits 22.5/31, meditate 12/31, knee exercises 12/31, SWSY 1/8, play with Tumble 14/31, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 13/31.
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD!
    03/24 nuthin' but church, shopping and polishing the new stove ;)
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Monday! I had Trentin with me this weekend; all went well. Saturday flew by as he went with me as I shopped and ran errands. Yesterday we were (I was) busy in the kitchen, so he was able to entertain himself with toys and games and movies. I have been introducing him to some of the older children/family movies; like The Sandlot, Willow, Labyrinth, Little Big League, etc..The Sandlot seems to be his favorite. I think I will rent The Swiss Family Robinson for him to watch next week. He likes to "invent" things, so I think he will like that one. Any one have any suggestions?
    Tracey - My DH and I used to work opposite shifts when our kids were small. We only needed childcare for the "overlap" hours. I quit my job as a restaurant manager when my youngest turned 1 year old; and began my childcare career. LOL I got a chuckle from your son's comment about smiling for family photos. My youngest has a penchant for making faces in photos. He is 25 and still does this!
    Barbara- I have stove envy! I currently have a white gas stove. Never again. Every time I cook and spill, the spill gets "baked" on and the top around the burners looks, well, very used (as it is).
    On stoves- I currently have a gas stove; and I prefer those over electric. For many years, I volunteered as a reenactor for our local museum and used to work at the "live" cooking demos. There were four of us women, dressed in our 18 century peasant garb (long skirts, long underthings, camisoles, long sleeves, home made moccasin type shoes), early June (temps from year to year ranged from the mid sixties to the nineties). We would do all of our food prep and clean up in a little canvas tent, with the sides pulled back so people could watch; we then had a fire going and would cook full meals (stews, breads, meats, veg, etc.) over the open fire and would also have a kettle of water on for dishes and cleaning. Kneeling by that fire in full costume was a trick in itself and you then understood WHY women demanded pants.
    Machka- my hat's off to you for cooking over an open fire on a daily basis! Your pictures/meals look fantastic!
    Pip- So, Pip! Did Kirby know he was in love with you when you took that picture?! <3
    Heather- lol I loved your description of your dress, from days gone by. I still have a couple of items from my twenties. It sounds like Max had a wonderful time with his grandpa! He will always remember the fun he had flinging things at grandma! You are an angel for putting up with TWO children that day!
    Welcome to the new ladies!

Kids arriving in a steady stream, now! I better fly! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Machka- You should buy or build one of those outdoor clay ovens!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Machka- You should buy or build one of those outdoor clay ovens!

A friend of mine has one. :)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,699 Member
    Options
    Machka - that was a wink from your grandma for sure... an angel kiss.. how sweet
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Good morning all! Happy Monday! I had Trentin with me this weekend; all went well. Saturday flew by as he went with me as I shopped and ran errands. Yesterday we were (I was) busy in the kitchen, so he was able to entertain himself with toys and games and movies. I have been introducing him to some of the older children/family movies; like The Sandlot, Willow, Labyrinth, Little Big League, etc..The Sandlot seems to be his favorite. I think I will rent The Swiss Family Robinson for him to watch next week. He likes to "invent" things, so I think he will like that one. Any one have any suggestions?
    Tracey - My DH and I used to work opposite shifts when our kids were small. We only needed childcare for the "overlap" hours. I quit my job as a restaurant manager when my youngest turned 1 year old; and began my childcare career. LOL I got a chuckle from your son's comment about smiling for family photos. My youngest has a penchant for making faces in photos. He is 25 and still does this!
    Barbara- I have stove envy! I currently have a white gas stove. Never again. Every time I cook and spill, the spill gets "baked" on and the top around the burners looks, well, very used (as it is).
    On stoves- I currently have a gas stove; and I prefer those over electric. For many years, I volunteered as a reenactor for our local museum and used to work at the "live" cooking demos. There were four of us women, dressed in our 18 century peasant garb (long skirts, long underthings, camisoles, long sleeves, home made moccasin type shoes), early June (temps from year to year ranged from the mid sixties to the nineties). We would do all of our food prep and clean up in a little canvas tent, with the sides pulled back so people could watch; we then had a fire going and would cook full meals (stews, breads, meats, veg, etc.) over the open fire and would also have a kettle of water on for dishes and cleaning. Kneeling by that fire in full costume was a trick in itself and you then understood WHY women demanded pants.
    Machka- my hat's off to you for cooking over an open fire on a daily basis! Your pictures/meals look fantastic!
    Pip- So, Pip! Did Kirby know he was in love with you when you took that picture?! <3
    Heather- lol I loved your description of your dress, from days gone by. I still have a couple of items from my twenties. It sounds like Max had a wonderful time with his grandpa! He will always remember the fun he had flinging things at grandma! You are an angel for putting up with TWO children that day!
    Welcome to the new ladies!

Kids arriving in a steady stream, now! I better fly! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

I don’t know, I’ll ask him
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Tracey: Thanks for your good wishes for both the trail ride and the dermatologist. Yesterday’s ride was awesome. I also hope for speedy results from the dermatologist. Tomorrow morning is the appointment & I'd like to get an answer that very day, but I don’t know whether they send the sample out somewhere or do the testing right there. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I hope that you and DH had a wonderful time at the dance. :star:

Skinnikins: Welcome to a great group & good luck! My best advice for longterm success is to let MFP set your calorie goals and to weigh or measure your portions. Guestimating is not a good strategy, especially in the beginning. :flowerforyou:

RV Rita: Congratulations on your success!!! Smaller clothes are proof that you’re doing something right. :bigsmile:

Pip: I love the photo of Kirby when you met him. Thanks for sharing! :star:

Rori: Thanks for your good wishes for the biopsy results. As a child I had many sunburns and my shoulders and nose got the worst of it. Back in the day suntan lotion was just oil with no real protective qualities. I’m hoping for the best. :flowerforyou: Thanks for the update on Meg in Omaha. I’m glad her home is undamaged. :star:

Kim & Barbara: We’ve also got a gas stove. I love it! Ours only has four burners, though. You’re ahead of us on that. We have natural gas that provides furnace, hot water and stove fuel. :smiley:

Rebecca: Good luck on the house hunt. Your DDIL is gorgeous! :smiley:

Dana in AR: I’m so sorry that you’re having severe weather. I hope you have no damage. :heart:

Kate UK: I haven’t used a mini trampoline due to knee issues. Perhaps someone else will have advice: :star:

Barbara: Thanks for your excellent moral support for the biopsy. I hope your dental visit is a good one. :heart:

Machka: I hope your raspberry plants flourish. I LOVE raspberries. They are my very favorites! :bigsmile:

Tomorrow is my dermatologist visit and, so far, DH is planning to stay home while I go on my own. I’m not too happy with that and hope he will change his mind.

The trail ride yesterday was a pleasure. Arrow was a very good boy for the whole ride. He had boots on his front feet for the ride because he is currently not wearing horseshoes. I had I a bit of trouble keeping the boots on him. They closed with Velcro straps, and the Velcro didn’t hold as well as I’d have liked. We made it for the whole ride thanks to duct tape.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    5z3wkh80ctnv.png in Georgia
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,737 Member
    Options
    Heather - I loved how you described your dress! I think some memories should remain just memories that are special but not needed to be shared. 😉 it must have felt wonderful that it was a bit loose on you!

Rita - your hard work is paying off, congrats on the NSV. Hope your burns heal fast and your husband has good results.

Rori - my daughter recently bought the Garmin Vivosmart 4 fitness tracker. She used to have a Fitbit, but like me developed an allergy to its wrist brand. She chose this one as the band material is silicone. She is really liking it better than her Fitbit.

Kim - I didn’t throw the doughnuts out. I delivered some to both daughters. Where I lived in NB we had a trucking company that sold at a huge discount things that were on the trucks that got damaged in transit in some way that the customer wouldn’t accept delivery. It was a great way to stock up. Of course, you never knew what you were going to find there. I remember buying two of my favourite shirts there for under 5.00 each. The box had been damaged but nothing wrong with the contents. I also grew up right next to McCain Foods and they two or three times a year had a frozen food sale. Of course, it wasn’t the healthiest options, but boy we got some deals!

Rebecca - I hope you hear from the realtor soon. Your DIL is beautiful! I think a lot of dogs are protective of pregnant women. My in laws had a female German Shepard that was my husband’s dog before we were married. When I had some complications with my pregnancy we stayed with his parents for a while as he drove truck and I didn’t want to be alone. One morning he got up to go to work and while he was getting ready the dog came into the bedroom with me. When my husband came back in to give me a kiss goodbye the dog wouldn’t let him near me. It’s always made us chuckle as I was scared of the dog when I first met her and she was his dog!

Pat - my daughters house is always messy, I bite my tongue so hard when I visit. Good advice to your daughter. I have applied for low paying jobs as well, retail, coffee shops, temp agencies. I’m just thankful I have EI.

Barbara - 160K is the estimated, but I know a lot of people have moved back to the East Coast and those numbers aren’t included. I just saw a post of an acquaintance, he had been offered a very lucrative job in Calgary about 3 hours away. For the last year he has been commuting while they tried to sell their house. The market just isn’t there for it. They finally made the decision to try to rent it, but couldn’t rent it for the cost of the mortgage. He has decided to leave the job and not move at this time as it will financially cripple them to continue.

Kelly - My Son in Law is 33, now to convince my Grandson to give real smiles. He takes after his Dad.

Machka - what a lovely story about the raspberries. Enjoy when you get fruit from your plants.

Today I need to be productive, I haven’t been for the last week and it shows in my house. I think I need to declutter my bottom cabinets and scrub. I also guess I should continue to look at the job boards since I don’t know about this job yet.

It is cloudy and overcast today, the temp right now is only 1. It is calling for rain tomorrow and snow Wednesday. It is currently calling for 7 on Sunday for our outdoor photos.

I’m off to go clean cupboards!
    Tracey In Edmonton
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,337 Member
    Options
    Rita - so happy for you that your DH is eating on the KETO plan as well - it's inspiring reading how well you are doing and the benefits!

Beth
    - I ordered Dr. Herring's book on the 19:5 Intermittent Fasting. Was able to read parts of it on Amazon and looks like a good addition to my bookshelf. Looks like he was a trailblazer regarding IF's many benefits. You are also an inspiration.

Rori - thanks for filling us in on Meg. Hoping the podiatrist can wave his magic wand and get me back to walking a lot. When you are done with Reuben, can you send him over? Our handyman Fred, whose wife died of cancer last summer a couple days after he finished our deck, took some time off, has a girlfriend now so not a lot of spare time to do side jobs. We are all thrilled for him of course but missing having him available. :p Maybe the bloom will be off the rose soon and he'll be looking for reasons to be busy on weekends, lol.

Rebecca - crossing fingers the right place shows up soon for you. Cute pic of your DIL - when did you say she's due? Can't be long now. <3

Lanette
    SW WA State

• cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday!! Looks like I've missed a lot while taking a break from the computer this weekend (I use the app, but stay off computers on the weekend because I'm on the thing all week!!). My daughter had a busy weekend, plus all the laundry...I just didn't get a lot of time.

Allie - the right job will come, but sometimes it takes a lot of patience. I searched for 3 years before I found my current job. It was three years that I felt like the worst possible parent.

Stoves/ovens - I've had gas and electric. Have to say I love a gas stove top, but not so happy with the gas oven. Maybe it was just my oven, but the heat control was an issue and the food always seemed dry. Electric - I hate that the burners take forever to cool down. I still only cook on the rear burns because I've always been afraid my daughter would touch one. She's 15 now so I guess I should let it go. I have a ceramic surface now. Plus side - it's a breeze to clean! Down side - you can only use certain cookware (good bye copper bottom pans), and you have to be careful not to drop anything on it. My cousin dropped a cast iron skillet on his...oops!! Also, the ceramic top is very slick. Pans slide across on it.

Connie in KY
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Got the estimate on the floors. It was 1/3 the price of the other estimate and leaves us enough money in our home maintenance/repair fund for a refrigerator and painting, I texted one painter already and may call more tonight. I am beyond excited to get this project underway.

Plus, the scale showed a new low today as well. We had a kick-butt chest workout at the gym this morning. Spring is here. For a Monday, it’s turning out pretty good.

Congratulations on the good news from the scale.:star: I hope you find the right person who will do a great job on the painting at a price that lets you replace your refrigerator. :heart:
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Tracy, a lot of folks from BC also lost their jobs in the oilpatch and have come back hoping to find something. Fortunately for some of them, the construction industry in booming in many locations, so I think that has saved some. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you for the job that you have had TWO interviews for! They must truly be interested in you, definitely wouldn't have spent that much time chatting with someone that they weren't considering, probably checking to see if you would be a good fit. Sounds to me like you would be!
    Barbara, the new stove is gorgeous! I used gas when I cooked for a living, but have always preferred electric at home. Strange, I know, but what can I say, work was work and home is home, I always tried not to overlap the two.
    Heather, great story about the dress! Ditto what Kelly said about having two kids there when Max and your hubby were shooting stuff at you! Boys.....
    Machka, what a wonderful moment with the lady who patted your hair. Your grandmother is looking out for you for sure. The raspberries sound wonderful!
    Still thinking about the folks in flood areas, hope all is well, glad to hear that Meg is on higher ground and no damage to her home.
    I've been reading, but have not been in convenient locations to comment. Please know that I do laugh, cry and send telepathic hugs to all of you!
    Not much new in my life, the weather has taken a bit of a change and we are busier this week than last, so won't be getting back into the yard just yet. Hopefully next week.
    Congrats to those celebrating (birthdays, anniversaries, births), hugs for those needing them and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I have always had a gas hob and electric ovens. :D

Been sooooooooooooo busy. The dance was great. The music was AMAZING. We soon forgot about trying to get our steps right and just enjoyed ourselves. DH can't dance and definitely cannot lead. So basically he just stands there, jigs about, holds my hand and I dance. :laugh: There was also a lesson and dances where you changed partners. ALL ages were there and plenty of oldies. :D We felt very energized and happy.
    I will post a photo from my phone later.

I was cooking most of the day and today my friend came on the train. She is 75 and has not travelled alone for many years. It was a nearly 2 hour journey. I met her at Hove station and we caught the bus back to our house. I deliberately did bland food gor her, basically serve it yourself poached chicken sandwiches - delicious! I made her favourite thing, raspberry ice cream for dessert. Then we went for a wonderful walk along the prom in the warm sunshine. B) I will post the pic from my phone.
    We came back for tea and orange cake, then I took her back to the station. A good day.

For dinner tonight I used the stock from poaching the chicken , plus some of the flesh for a heavenly Avgolemono. Yum!

Much love Heather UK xxxxxxx

Forgot to say our amazing plumber turned up at 8.20 and reamed out all the sink waste pipes with a machine. Two sections were completely clogged from the previous owners rubbish. Sorted it all out, fixed a new U bend and charged us $75. Some charge that just for a call out!
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy Tolkien Reading Day!

"J.R.R. Tolkien (Jan. 3, 1892 – Sept. 2, 1973) was an English writer, poet, philologist and university professor. He was best known as the author of the classic works The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarrillion as well as Roverandom and Farmer Giles of Ham. This day was started in 2003 by the Tolkien Society to encourage the readings of J.R.R. Tolkien. March 25th was chosen as the date to honor the fall of Sauron in Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings." I love Tolkien's work, so today I'll pull out my copy of The Hobbit and start re-reading the trilogy.

Alma - Belated congratulations on your new grandbaby!

Katla - So happy that there's a simple fix for your pup.

Dana - Cute bunnies!

Carol - Sounds like you need to get power of attorney, etc. taken care of as soon as possible. If your brother-in-law's memory problems are bad enough that he isn't competent to sign on his own behalf, it may take some time to get it done and having those papers in place will make it much easier for your husband to help him.

Evelyn - The planting beds are looking great! We have a youth group here in town that is doing a "handyman" fundraiser. I'm thinking of hiring them to clean up our beds and get them ready for landscape timber or some other type of edging.

Trucker - Congratulations and welcome to Onderland!

Barbara - The new stove looks really nice. Ours has that long burner in the middle for the griddle too, and I use it all the time.

I spent the weekend at a reunion of friends in Bryan, Texas, so I got behind and had to skim through about ten pages of posts to catch up. I walked for miles, ate too much, exchanged many hugs, and had a wonderful weekend. As I told my husband last night, I feel good about it because it was a mindful choice - I deliberately opted to eat what I wanted without tracking and I chose to be okay with any potential consequences on the scale. And the scale does show me about three pounds heavier today, but most of that will probably drop off now that I'm home and hydrating properly. I'm pretty sure I didn't eat enough extra calories to account for three pounds!

Got to run... I'm getting estimates from gutter contractors and the next one is due in a few minutes.

-Yvonne in TX
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    heather I like both pics, happy times to treasure.

NYKAREN