WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2019

Options

Replies

• teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Barbara. Love your stove. I’m thinking seriously of switching to a propane stove.

Thank you for the supportive words. Feels so good to have the court recognize and validate my sister and I. I’m reading everyday but not posting much. We’ve been busy putting expenses together to submit lawyer/legal fees for reimbursement..

I’m loving this warmer weather and haven’t quit smiling. Wishing everyone well.

Betsy in NW Washington
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,546 Member
    Options
    3pwkajex9pow.jpeg
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    Katla good news!!!
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,751 Member
    Options
    Heather ... the best recipes are almost always ones that don't have recipes! Thanks for explaining your method.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,546 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 8.15min, 11.5amph, 128mhr, 1.4mi= 73c
    manual treadmill, walk/slow jog- 15.55min, 117ahr, 139mhr, 1mi= 120c
    ARM SPIN MACHINE- 15min, 104ahr, 119mhr, 4.34km= 94c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 5.28min, 137mhr, 16amph, 1.4mi= 66c
    ride puy 2 sumn station- 14.31min, 12.6amph, 151mhr,3mi= 156c
    jog sta 2 wrk- 5.13min, 10.10min mi, 146mhr, .5mi= 66c
    jog wrk 2 sta- 4.08min, 9.08min mi, 152mhr, .4mi= 72c
    bike ride dome 2 hm some wind- 17.58min, 8,7amph, 150mhr, 2.6mi= 190c

total cal 837
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    There's a thread going in another forum, and I thought I'd bring the central thought of that thread over here ...

You don’t have to cut out everything to have a healthy lifestyle

I sort of think the person might have been talking about food, but to me "lifestyle" is so much more than food.

I responded ...

Right.

I still work full time at a pretty decent job.
    I still attend university part time working toward a goal I've had for a long time.
    I still ride my bicycle, row on my rowing machine, and walk lots. I'll run again too once my hip has healed up a bit. And one day, we'll get the canoe on the water. :):):)
    I still dabble in photography.
    I still travel.

I haven't had to give up any of that to have a healthy lifestyle! In fact, all of those things are key elements of my healthy lifestyle. :)

What are some positive elements of your healthy lifestyle? Things you've kept through the years? Things you've added?

For example, one thing I added a few years ago was a decent bed (mattress and box-spring). I still don't sleep a lot during the week, but I look forward to the comfort of my bed at the end of the day.

Previously, I'd wake up with sore hips and shoulders ... feeling achy and not rested ...

Machka in Oz

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Tracey – you refer to El – it seems to be some sort of financial help??? But what is it? Sorry to hear you did not get the job…

Karen – so glad the neighbors are ok… I am surprised that a Red Oak had shallow roots, I have a California Red Oak (common names they may be different species) that I put in because of the deep roots as I wanted it near the driveway and the sidewalk.

Aren’t the old letters the best? I have my parents love letters – pre-marriage – and I love them.

I have logged everything for 3 days, not much, but better than I was…and have been walking 11,000+ steps. I think I told you but about 8-9 months ago the yoga teacher I liked changed places to teach and the new place is out of my budget, I have tried a few; but all too pricey. And I know I could and should do it at home, I just don’t. A class works better for me. I found a new one at the right price and I have been 3 times. It is hard, she has us hold each pose for at least a minute some times more, I end up very sore at the end. I am going to do one more month and then re-consider. It is a class for seniors. She doesn’t do any balance, twists, or anything with our heads lowered at all – so no toe touches, downward dog, or even cat and cow positions… she reminds us that we are old and that old people should not lower our heads below our heart because of our blood pressure – I do not consider myself old, and I know about ½ of the folks in the class all between 50-60 and all still working.

I wish location, time and cost were not so important!

Kim from N. California
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Kim It might not be a red oak. I was guessing.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    M - this lap quilt is a thing that I x-stitched for us to hang on the wall. it needs to be quilted. Most people that I know only do machine quilting. I just don't care for that so I hand quilt it. Now I do have another quilt that I x-stitched that needs to be quilted. But the top part is prequilted so what I'm thinking (I just have to check with one gal who does a lot of machine quilting) is that it should probably be quilted by machine along where it's been prequilted.

You can count me as a raspberry lover, and a blueberry, and a strawberry, actually, I can't think of a fruit that I DON'T like.

Michele in NC
  • Machka9
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

Tracey – you refer to El – it seems to be some sort of financial help??? But what is it? Sorry to hear you did not get the job…

Karen – so glad the neighbors are ok… I am surprised that a Red Oak had shallow roots, I have a California Red Oak (common names they may be different species) that I put in because of the deep roots as I wanted it near the driveway and the sidewalk.

Aren’t the old letters the best? I have my parents love letters – pre-marriage – and I love them.

I have logged everything for 3 days, not much, but better than I was…and have been walking 11,000+ steps. I think I told you but about 8-9 months ago the yoga teacher I liked changed places to teach and the new place is out of my budget, I have tried a few; but all too pricey. And I know I could and should do it at home, I just don’t. A class works better for me. I found a new one at the right price and I have been 3 times. It is hard, she has us hold each pose for at least a minute some times more, I end up very sore at the end. I am going to do one more month and then re-consider. It is a class for seniors. She doesn’t do any balance, twists, or anything with our heads lowered at all – so no toe touches, downward dog, or even cat and cow positions… she reminds us that we are old and that old people should not lower our heads below our heart because of our blood pressure – I do not consider myself old, and I know about ½ of the folks in the class all between 50-60 and all still working.

I wish location, time and cost were not so important!

Kim from N. California

EI is Employment Insurance ... it's what you get when you've been laid off work. Unfortunately it usually is only for a limited period of time. (aka "dole" in more British areas)

How old is the instructor? I'm into my 50s and husband in his 60s and I've never heard about lowering our heads below our heart because of blood pressure. Also, why would our blood pressure be any different than a younger person? I'd be tempted to say something to the main organiser about age discrimination!! And you're right ... 50-60 is not old!

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    I’ve caught up on posts. I decided yesterday to clean and organize one of my cupboards and when I turned around I caught the dust on n my china cabinet. That led me to emptying my china cabinet, washing all of its contents and pulling it out to give a good cleaning in behind it. I washed a mark on the wall and have since washed all the walls and rearranged some pictures in the kitchen, dining room, living room and hallway. I have also scrubbed all the way through.
    It wasn’t my intention to do all of that but it kept me busy and burned some calories.

I received an email this morning that I didn’t get the job that I interviewed twice for last week. I guess it wasn’t meant to be. This afternoon we found out that my husbands EI has ended, 2 weeks earlier than last year. This is going to leave us very short these next two weeks.

Tracey In rainy, cold Edmonton

So sorry to hear that. :( I hope something better comes along soon.

I also did a lot of cleaning during my years of unemployment. It's one way I take my frustrations out.

M in Oz

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,210 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    So sorry Tracey about the job. :'( It must be so frustrating. Perhaps you could use your time while you are not working to brush up your skills on the computer, like you did the other day, and also do some paid cleaning for other people to take out your frustrations. >:) It seems to workfor you! Round here cleaners are paid well over the Living Wage. My last cleaner in my old house had horses and a Landrover. It's a great way to keep fit as well! My niece, who didn't really need the money, used to iron for people, because she found it meditative and relaxing. :o It wouldn't stop you still being gung ho about getting a job. I hope something turns up for you soon. Money worries are the worst. <3<3<3

My neck is still stiff and sore. My sleeping is poor because of general aching. Boo! Today I have yoga after lunch.

Kim - I have never heard such nonsense as from your teacher. I am 69 and still doing everything! At my old house several participants were over 80 and still doing the lot! I am not keen on my present teacher's style, but it's nearby and at a convenient time. I sooooooooooooo miss my previous teacher. I LOVED her and my class. :'( I might not continue with this one as I do a short yoga every morning, but I'm giving her a go. Like yours she tends to hold poses for a long time and not much variation. She concentrates on the spine. But we are doing inverted postures!

This evening we are going to try our the Sri Lankan restaurant down the road. We can walk there. Going to get there early to eat as we have a French lecture at our French circle later, on Baudelaire. I did him as part of my French A level. I liked the racy bits!

Much love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies

Dana Lovely picture of your daughter skydiving, not a thing I would like to try mind you. I like my feet on the ground.

Barbara the muffins look yummy, and I’m sure I wouldn’t be able to limit myself to just one! ;)

Machka lovely photo of you and your grandma

Heather I have 9 windows and a patio door and my window cleaner only charges £8. He’s in his 70s (I think) and I do worry about him climbing the ladder, especially to my bedroom window because we have tiles on the patio and he asks me to hold the ladder for him. I'm so scared of heights (even for other people) that I have to close my eyes the whole time! Many a time I say not to bother with that window, but he always insists. He does a good job, he washes the door and all the windowsills. He comes about once every 3 months or so. I think that about all my nerves could take!

Allie Hope you have enough shiplap – keeping fingers crossed.

Welcome BellaB

Vicki I’m in the same boat, losing and gaining the same few pounds, it’s very frustrating! But I have only myself to blame. :( Not sure how I can get out of this rut though, well I do, where’s the boot!

I’m another one who doesn’t answer the landline if I don’t recognise the number. I was sick of hearing my broadband would be cut off etc or “I am not selling anything but could you answer these questions” every few minutes.

Michele Yeah last board meeting ever! Congratulations. :)

Dana lovely views of trees, I envy you. Where we are all I can see out the back are other houses looking back at me. My sister in law had a beautiful view at her old house, she lived on a hill of her garden led on to the side of the hill (not good when the kids were little, had to make sure they couldn’t get out) but the view on a night time was lovely, all the twinkly lights below. I used to spend ages looking out of her window (she thought I was nuts!) The house she is now is still on a hill (It’s very hilly in Shipley where she lives as opposed to York which is very flat) but her view isn’t half as good, she can see other houses from her window.

Kylia Aubrey is such a little cutie, I hope she continues to improve and get stronger every day. She’s tiny, almost the same size as a newborn. How lovely that fund raising is in place to help with the medical costs. Thankfully this is something we don’t have to think of in the UK.

Well I’d better get a move on, going into town today with mum, Paul (DS) is looking after his grandad for a few hours. Dad was in good spirits at the weekend and even sat downstairs for most of Saturday and a few hours on Sunday. We’ll have to see how he is today.

Love to all <3
    Viv UK
  • Machka9
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    You can count me as a raspberry lover, and a blueberry, and a strawberry, actually, I can't think of a fruit that I DON'T like.

Michele in NC

There are very few fruits I don't like.

I can't eat too many strawberries, I'm not overly fond of fresh papaya or grapefruit, and I'm not brave enough to try durian. But other than that ... :)

In addition to craving raspberries, I've also been wishing I could get custard apples here in Tasmania.

Machka in Oz

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    <3 Hello all! Had a weird issue with mfp yesterday when I logged in. When I tried to the community page (this page) the area where I click (on my laptop it is at the top with three icons; a bell, a star, and a gear) was completely blank. I waited for it to load and it never did. I signed off and back on and still no diff. So I had to find you all through the actual community page and work my through the posts to find my place. (Exhausting) So...TA-Da!!! I am here! lol
    Yvonne- This year was my fifth year for celebrating Make Up Your Own Holiday with a kitchen beach party. I build a sandbox in half of my kitchen (this year it was a 10'x3.5' sandbox) that serves as our "beach" and the kids get to stay warm and play in the sand for the day. I think I am going to change it up next year. I still want to have a Kitchen Beach Party but will have it in January; and on a Friday so that I can have friends over to sit in the sand with me at the end of the night. For next year's make-up-your-own-holiday day, I am thinking possible of calling it Have A Ball Day and filling a space with all kinds of balls, and having ball "games", etc.
    Kylia- Aubrey <3 So glad she is home and adapting to family life. It is a good sign that she is starting "alternative" care! That means she is strong enough to have someone other than mom and dad to care for her and strong enough to be exposed to others germs. Yea! Grow baby, grow!
    Rebecca- Sorry you didn't get the house and that your previous landlords are being so difficult. Your daughter in law looks fantastic, by the way!
    Machka- The photo of you and your grandmother is fantastic!
    Tracey- Sorry about not getting the job! The right one for you is just around the corner, I am sure of it!

I am sure I am missing sending greetings and words of sympathy and concern to some of you; they are there in my head and heart for you, just having a hard time remembering who needs what and finding the time to write it. Hugs to all! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (kelly)
  • Machka9
    Options
    My husband and I went for a little bicycle ride this evening ... just to test it out ...

46562816055_2145cc5381.jpg 32536157977_180d5e0d6e.jpg

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    <3 Hello all! Had a weird issue with mfp yesterday when I logged in. When I tried to the community page (this page) the area where I click (on my laptop it is at the top with three icons; a bell, a star, and a gear) was completely blank. I waited for it to load and it never did. I signed off and back on and still no diff. So I had to find you all through the actual community page and work my through the posts to find my place. (Exhausting) So...TA-Da!!! I am here! lol

Machka- The photo of you and your grandmother is fantastic!

It was down for maintenance for quite a while last night.

And thank you. :)

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Machka The photo of your lovely grandmother patting your lovely hair is...lovely.