Calorie Counter

Message Boards Success Stories
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Things people say when you lose weight

Replies

• charmmethcharmmeth Member Posts: 517 Member Member Posts: 517 Member
    From both my sister and sister-in-law (at different meetings) "Don't lose anymore!"
    I'm 5'6" and 145 lbs - literally 1 lb away from the 'ultimate goal' I picked for myself when I started 74 lbs and 78 weeks ago. This figure is in the upper end of the healthy-weight range for someone my height. Since I'm 55 years old there's a lot of saggy skin, but still extra fat under it, especially around my midsection, butt, and thighs, so I've been considering a new goal of 135 which is more in the middle of my h-w range. I don't want to be 'model-thin' by any means, I'd be happy with 'healthy non-athlete'.
    I was feeling pretty good about it too, but the speed/urgency with which they each blurted out the comment now has me worried that I may have some degree of body dysmorphia.
    So now I'm not so happy.

It sounds to me like you are doing great and have a good sense of where you want to be and how you want to get there. I think many people these days have very little sense of what a normal bmi looks like. I also think that when one is losing, one's face can look quite gaunt for a while until one settles into maintenance. I found that with my sister-in-law and her husband. For me they looked for a while as though they might have lost too much weight (though I did not say anything), but they now look great.
  • thelastnightingalethelastnightingale Member, Premium Posts: 398 Member Member, Premium Posts: 398 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    When I was transitioning to maintenance, I had some friends that were concerned I was developing an unhealthy relationship with food or body dismorphia. They really didn't want me to lose any more weight. I actually still had maybe two pounds to goal, so I kept going. You could DEFINITELY see it in my face. I didn't think it looked gaunt, but it sure wasn't puffy like before I started to lose. Oddly enough, I stumbled on a picture of my about that time. I think that even though I'm pretty much the exact same weight, my face has "filled back out" a little.

This is really interesting - I've heard it can take time for your skin to adjust after a lot of weight loss, so it might yet tighten up a bit. However, I hadn't heard anyone talking about face shape like this - that's a really great observation.

I guess it goes to show that the end part of weight loss is just like the journey to get there - you still need lots of patience.
  • Kaitie9399Kaitie9399 Member Posts: 668 Member Member Posts: 668 Member
    @Sand_TIger Thanks for the support!
  • thebiblewithtinathebiblewithtina Member Posts: 18 Member Member Posts: 18 Member
    Kaitie9399 wrote: »
    My MIL sucks. She’s a nasty piece of work and has absolutely no clue that what she just said to me was utterly hurtful and offensive. The stupid *kitten* had the nerve to say “You know, you should start doing face exercises so that you don’t look so gaunt”. The *kitten* nerve!!!! This coming from the morbidly obese women who hasn’t been able to conquer her food addiction has the bloody gall to say anything about anyone else!

I’m pissed.

Don't let her get to you. She's only passing off her failures and inadequacies on to you. I had a morbidly obese co-worker who also said nasty things about other colleagues who lost weight! Go figure!!
  • walk4todaywalk4today Member, Premium Posts: 283 Member Member, Premium Posts: 283 Member
    "I can see it in your face."