WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2019

Options

Replies

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Going to a 3 hour "joint" class this morning. Guess I'll learn all about what is going on when I have surgery next week.

Carol in GA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,830 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Morning ladies
    I am sitting here at the lab waiting to get lab work done for colonoscopy thursday.. have my tea in a thermal mug waiting for me in the car
    In and out walked the dogs and am down waiting on my DFIL
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,102 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Heather I think every time you decide to cancel a trip (cruise, etc) you should instead indulge in a MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE stay at your husband's cricket match to catch up with family & friends. By my count, you have cancelled 2 or 3 trips since I have been on this thread...
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    (((Barbara))): Sorry to hear of the passing of your friend’s DH. So sad for her. :broken_heart:

MariMcKeon: Congratulations on excellent progress! 33 pounds is significant. You are succeeding! :flowerforyou:

Vicki GI NE: From 70 degrees today and tomorrow to snow on Wednesday is pretty dramatic. Enjoy the sun while you can and layer up for the cold! :smiley:

Heather: You’ve been very lucky to keep your friends from growing up years. What a blessing! :heart:

Pip: Great photo of you and Kirby! :smiley: As to the pup in bed—somebody blonde & fuzzy at your house is spoiled. :wink:

Lisa: You seem to be making great progress with healing from surgery. WTG!!! I hope you have a good day with all of your meetings. :star:

Allie: DH is two days ahead of you on the colonoscopy. His will be later today. Right now he’s doing his second round of prep. Prep is definitely the worst part. I speak from experience. :wink:

Machka: Your pink roses are lovely! :flowerforyou:

I’m on my second cup of coffee and had a sandwich for breakfast. DH’s colonoscopy will begin in about 2.5 hours. It will be good to get this step done and I hope he gets some help with his digestive miseries as a result of this.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,102 Member
    Options
    M thanks for sharing flowers. They get big like that in Missouri.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,743 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    (((Barbara))): Sorry to hear of the passing of your friend’s DH. So sad for her. :broken_heart:

MariMcKeon: Congratulations on excellent progress! 33 pounds is significant. You are succeeding! :flowerforyou:

Vicki GI NE: From 70 degrees today and tomorrow to snow on Wednesday is pretty dramatic. Enjoy the sun while you can and layer up for the cold! :smiley:

Heather: You’ve been very lucky to keep your friends from growing up years. What a blessing! :heart:

Pip: Great photo of you and Kirby! :smiley: As to the pup in bed—somebody blonde & fuzzy at your house is spoiled. :wink:

Lisa: You seem to be making great progress with healing from surgery. WTG!!! I hope you have a good day with all of your meetings. :star:

Allie: DH is two days ahead of you on the colonoscopy. His will be later today. Right now he’s doing his second round of prep. Prep is definitely the worst part. I speak from experience. :wink:

Machka: Your pink roses are lovely! :flowerforyou:

I’m on my second cup of coffee and had a sandwich for breakfast. DH’s colonoscopy will begin in about 2.5 hours. It will be good to get this step done and I hope he gets some help with his digestive miseries as a result of this.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

yup, that's ol lady bullwinkle
  • lisa196922
    lisa196922 Posts: 15 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions.

Connie in Ky. Yes I was also fretting the Easter candy since I have small kids in the house still. Planning to look for the Pirates Booty today and create individual servings.

Michelle in NC, not sure why I didn’t think of the short term goals , that may certainly lessen some of my anxiety with losing weight.

Katla in NW Oregon “Yesssss” celery. My sister in law snacked on nothing but celery when she lost her weight.

Mari McKeon I will certIanly try the jello too. It’s funny when you’re used to eating the kitchen sink you forget about simple foods like this.

Thanks everyone for the insight.
    Lisa in Ohio
  • lisa196922
    lisa196922 Posts: 15 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Delete
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,818 Member
    Options
    Katla - my Dad was a smoker too, he had quit for three years before he was diagnosed with lung cancer. When he was diagnosed he started smoking again but tried to hide it from all of us. He would smoke on his wood shop with all of the sawdust, when we were home visiting my daughter and I caught him. The air was blue from the smoke and we could see the smoke coming up from under his table saw where he was holding it in his hand. We told him we knew and weren’t judging but he should flick it before those hot ashes went into the sawdust. He laughed then, he still tried to hide it but we didn’t say anything.

Rebecca - I’m sorry your son suffers from anxiety, both of my girls struggle with this and I find it so hard as their mother to help them. You just want to take all of their pain away.

Heather - I love the story of your friends. Hope all your Grands start feeling better soon and you and hubby avoid it. I agree with Karen about the trip cancellations. You should be able to go to a hotel for a couple nights for the cricket matches.

Michele - I love Donald.

Lisa - I bet you were relieved to have the writing back in your head!

Karen in NY - what a great job letting the bigger voice win!

This morning I have an appointment to meet another career help place. I have to print off my resume and take it with me. I hope this one helps a bit more.

It’s another beautiful day and I’m hoping that I can get out for a walk this afternoon or early evening.

Have a great day
    Tracey In Edmonton
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,437 Member
    Options
    Lanette I read several of Cornwell's books. Not all of them, by any means. I like her early books best. The inspiration for the Scarpetta heroine came from the Chief Medical Examiner (Marcella Fierro) who I mentioned in my prior post, but Scarpetta's physical description definitely matches Cornwell. Dr. Fierro is a round, short, dark Italian woman...

t27wwua0x904.png

...one of the most accomplished and amazing women/role models I have ever met. Again, I doubt that she would even remember me now. She had so many students who rotated through the medical examiner's office. She left an indelible imprint on me, though. I learned so much from her. As an addendum, Patricia Cornwell donated a LOT of money for state-of-the-art forensic technology in Virginia.

Karen in Virginia

Karen
    - I was super excited to read this! Had just gotten home from the thrift stores with armloads of Cornwell's books, lol. So knowing about Dr. Fierro will add a new dimension to the characters. I'll bet being a student of hers was fasincating. Have you ever watched any of the Silent Witness series from the UK? When of their forensic pathologists left the series, instead of killing him off, the story was that he came to the US to teach.

So I believe in Serendipity. Still watching Silent Witness, then picked up a couple of Patricia Cornwell books just for something to read last week - not really knowing what they were about except looked like some kind of crime mysteries, then here we are with you having "inside knowledge", lol.

New ladies - Lisa in OH, MariMcKeon, and others - please keep coming back and filling us in on your stories. You are doing so well! This is the place to be!!

Had lunch with a good friend last week, she has gained around 40 lbs in the past 10 years, she's in her early 70's. Has major bad back problems, and as a result is in pain a lot and can't walk far or exercise much, goes to comfort foods too much. I can certainly relate to it with my physical stuff this past year. And am grateful my gain is only 5 lbs which I need to turn around.

She has decided to go on Nutrisystem - it would not be my choice but I know she's in a hurry to lose weight in hopes it will help her ability to exercise more and I can't fault her for that. I gave her a copy of the SWSY (Strong
    Women Stay Young) book last year, she was interested, but I will not harp on her about it. It will be there when and if she's ready to get serious to even do light arm weights.

Speaking of SWSY, I was thrilled to be able to now do bicep curls and upward rows with 8# weights on EACH arm. Still limited on the Overhead press - can't reach upward well with the left arm. Also have decided 8# will be my limit on arms, with 5# the limit on overhead press. I will add another set or more reps - my exuberance last summer to keep upping arm weights (10#, struggling) might have contributed to my frozen shoulder. 10# on ankle weights are doing fine.

New ladies interested in SWSY - there are books, websites, and videos available. Strength training as we get older is so important. And it ups the metabolism. B)

Carol - thinking of you at your "joint" class. If you were here in WA I'd think of it as very relaxing with a bag of Cheetos, lol. Hard to believe your surgery is coming up next week already! You'll be better than new!!

Katla - your DH's procedure should be over pretty soon. Will the doc come out and tell you anything or make you folks wait for a typed report?

DH is out weed eating in the rain. Weatherman says sunshine this afternoon and DH needs to mow here soon or we'll have to get a baler in, lol.

Lanette
    Cool SW WA State
  • SophieRosieMom
    Options
    Ladies, before I forget. Had lunch with another friend yesterday who told me about a book she's reading which she likes, called "Women Rowing North" by Mary Pipher. I'm on the list for it now at our local library.

The cover says it's about "Navigating Life's Currents and Flourishing as We Age".

Sounds good. Have any of you read it?

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Lanette, I looked at our library and put a hold on that book. I think it sounds interesting. They have seven copies and I’m #38 on the waiting list. I just love our library.

Betsy in NWWashington
  • lacwest6605
    lacwest6605 Posts: 6,922 Member
    Options
    Laura from Los Angeles here.

Yes, I am a worrywart. Hip surgeon said my mother is doing well. The pain she is feeling is due to muscle weakness. He referred her to an out patient physical therapy facility. He thinks she will benefit more than having a PT come to the house. Thanks to all who offered kind words and assurances!
  • SophieRosieMom
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Laura from Los Angeles here.

Yes, I am a worrywart. Hip surgeon said my mother is doing well. The pain she is feeling is due to muscle weakness. He referred her to an out patient physical therapy facility. He thinks she will benefit more than having a PT come to the house. Thanks to all who offered kind words and assurances!

Laura, it's hard not to worry! The PT is so important. I think being in a therapy clinic will really make the importance of exercises hit home for her, and seeing other patients there during their recovery.

Best of luck to you both!!

Lanette
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,376 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Dancing the Shim Sham was a very interesting experience. I really enjoyed it, even though I often got lost, but DH despaired of ever being able to do it. It goes to the tune of "It Ain't What You Do, But the Way That You Do It". Extremely good exercise, both for the brain and the body. At the end I videoed the woman teaching it, so that I would have a record of her feet! ! Must practice. They play the Shim Sham at every Swing Dance.
    I almost forgot that we have French Circle tomorrow. Hope we aren't too tired after the kids have gone home!

Much love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx