WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2019

Options

Replies

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Rye - Great to hear from you! You are often on my mind.

Sharon - Big hugs! That's a lot to lose your spouse and bestest friend so close together.

Welcome to the new Ladies! I'll try to do better responding/posting when I am back home next week. Our days are filled with shenanigans while hubs is working. We are at least starting each day with a 3ish mile walk so that's something.

Okie
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning to wonder if I'm sleeping with my eyes open (Nocturnal lagophthalmos). Not wide open ... just not completely closed. They're so sore, red and painful when I wake up ... like I've been walking through a sandstorm all night. And the other night, as I was dozing off, kind of between awake and asleep, I had a weird but distinct feeling like my eyes weren't entirely closed.

Then they seem to get a little bit better throughout the day. But if anything it should be the other way around, I would think. If my eyes were closed at night, they should be getting sufficiently lubricated.

I'm going to try eyedrops tonight just before I go to bed to see if that helps.

Machka in Oz

• cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Proctoring my last final exam of the semester. I have one student still finishing her externship, but the semester will officially be done Friday!! Sadly, I start teaching summer semester June 4 and my daughter’s school doesn’t finish until June 7.

Waterbeds and foam toppers - never tried the waterbed, but the foam toppers make it crazy difficult to get out of bed or turn over. I think I’ll skip this one.

Biggest dilemma in this weight loss madness - my bust line. I’ve lost 2 pant sizes, but only one band size. The cup size is the same. I have been a DD or DDD since I was 12 when I only weighed 135 and was 5’7”. I know I am offending many breast cancer survivors, but I really need a reduction. Stretch marks - they have been horrible since I was 12. I’ll quit ranting.

Getting up from the floor without using my hands - I have to roll to my knees first. That’s fine on thick carpet, but not on my hardwood floors!

Have a great day ladies! Be back sometime this evening!

Connie in KY
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    evie1958 wrote: »
    Hello all!
    Well, I had a post done up, posted in and it then disappeared.... I logged out just after I posted and when I tried logging back in 30 or so min later, the site was down for maintenance or something and when I went back later, my post was gone. Has that ever happened to anyone else? Annoying more than anything! Going to try to remember what I wrote now, that will be the tricky part! lol
    I'm a bit late to the party about "who am I?", but here goes anyway. I've enjoyed reading others stories, so thought I should share mine also.
    My name is Evelyn, I will be 61 in July, still having a hard time adjusting the that new first number! I have been married for almost 38 years (in June) to a pretty great guy, he has his moments, but I'm pretty sure I do too! We have two boys, the older one is 33, married with one son and a daughter to be born pretty much any time now, the younger son is 30, confirmed bachelor, although he is living with a lady right now. He's a few provinces away, so we don't see him much at all. Our older son lives in the same area as we do, but we don't see them much either. sigh. I have battled the "bulge" pretty much all my life. The irony is, the weight I was at when I was younger is what I would dearly love to be at now and back then I thought I was too fat. My main issue is after dinner snacking, with failure to log being a close second. Funnily enough, when I don't snack my way thru the kitchen every night and log my food, I lose weight. I did log most of everything yesterday and was doing really well with my not snacking, but then fell into a (small) bowl of ice cream...... I did enjoy it tho, but I was already over, although I didn't count any of my walking as exercise. I work in a storage facility, so there can be quite a bit of walking in a day! I live on Vancouver Island, which is off the west coast of Canada.
    That's me in a nutshell!
    Hugs to those who need them, congrats to those celebrating, and welcome to the newbies! For the newbies, please put a name that you would like to be called and a location, as general or specific as you are comfortable, just so we can keep track of everybody. Thanks!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island

we're going to be doing the MS deception pass classic over your way in sept.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    Guess what i got in the mail yesterday Vickil57 THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    ryenday wrote: »
    Wishing all y’all well!

Little has changed here. Lots of challenges and difficulties especially financial which seem insurmountable but cuddling with kitties helps lift spirits.

Weight is doing pretty well, within 7 pounds of my lowest last spring. Exercise is at the minimums ( 2 x week swsy and 2 x lap swims) but steady.

Husband had a big health scare this spring but a silver lining: he is picking up his exercise and eating better.

Anyway just wanted to say hi and wish everyone the best.

Rye

Nice to see you here again! I was thinking about you just the other day and wondering how you were.

M in Oz

Rye: Ditto from me. Hope you are feeling all the love and good vibes heading your way. We miss you (and your gorgeous cats) and hope all the stress alleviates.

Sharon:
    All my women friends live in other states ranging from NY to Hawaii. PM me if you would ever like to set up a virtual coffee with me. I'd also like to know more about how you got your breast reduction arranged. I've lost 40+ pounds and the girls (38D) haven't shrunk one bit.

Beth: Wonderful news about your fur-baby.

The dinner with niece was wonderful. Saw the photos of their trip to Portugal, and because my kitchen is attached to the dining room, she took over all the clean up, while still being part of the conversation. They stayed 3 hours, and later I did have sore, swollen ankles. Yesterday I stayed in my recliner the entire day except for the time to take Mars for his annual physical. Ended day with only 1840 steps, and today everything feels much better. Tomorrow, I go to orthopedic department for another x-ray and exam.

Stay well friends. Stay in tune with yourselves and trust your instincts. We can do this.

Rori
    SMILING in
    Colorado Foothills
  • hap2go
    hap2go Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    trying to decide what to buy for lunch - have mostly fast food places around here but a mexican place (can eat about one thing here that doesnt upset my tummy) and italian place also. Not a big fan of tomatos. Ideas?
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    Sharon - I so agree we need a laughing face emoji on here. They could have it instead of the woo button that causes so much confusion depending on which group you are on. I developed early as a young girl too, I was a D cup by 13. It was the reaction of the neanderthal boys that I went to school with that made me decide exercise was terrible. From then on I figured out how to successfully get out of gym class for the rest of my school years. Last year was the first time since that I have completed any form of exercise where anyone could see me, including my husband. The nice part about this weight loss is I am now a C cup. It wouldn't hurt my feeling to go lower.
    I think I want to be you when I grow up, you seem to speak to my heart. I am so sorry that you lost your friend so soon after your husband, that would be terrible. Our friends help us get through the rough times, I don't know what I will do without my friends. Unfortunately, I am not near enough to any of my friends to have daily or even yearly visits, but we talk and text a lot. Like you, I find these ladies and another group I belong to on here to be my friends too. I am always anxious to get on and see how everyone is doing.

Rye - It's nice to see you again, I was thinking of you not too long ago. I so understand the financial strain, it is a tough one to deal with. Hugs to you, and I hope your husband continues to regain his health.

bananasandoranges - Do I know your real name, if you had stated it somewhere I missed it. I will try to get a picture to show what the pop up card looks like. It was my first time doing it and it turned out quite well if I do say so myself. I would really enjoy a job where I could walk to work. I think if I was offered it and the one that I have been studying for I would take the walking one as it would mean a huge financial difference for us. Not having to have a second car with gas, maintenance, payments, insurance would be almost like having a raise.

Shannon - Glad that you popped in to tell us how your surgery went. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Viv - Its such a shame all of the CD's and DVD's that we all had and now rarely watch. The thrift stores around here, have shelves and shelves of them. I'm glad your Mom wasn't seriously injured. I bet your Dad felt bad when it was brought to his attention. It's a tough situation for all involved.

Lisa - I hope they can at least start to help you without having the tests. Quality of life is so important.

Barbara - Sorry for the loss of your friend. It is never easy to lose those we love. My Aunt that I loved like a grandmother took care of two wheelchair bound husbands, I don't know how she did it. Her first husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer, when they operated on him something went wrong and he became paralyzed. She cared for him for 4 years. She remarried about 12 years later and her husband went for a walk one morning, tripped on a pebble and fell off the sidewalk and broke his neck. She cared for him for just about a year before she started having signs of Alzheimer's so he went into a home and she went to live with her daughter. I too have trouble doing any floor exercises. I used to rather enjoy them, but we only have laminate or tile in this house and I find it very hard, even my yoga mat doesn't help. I tried the foam puzzle pieces you can get but found them too slippery on these floors so gave them to my daughter for her basement area for the kids.
    I am going to try to design your shirt for you this week. What breed of dogs do you have?

Heather I find sitting on benches very hard on the back too. I need support of some kind behind me. I bet you will exercise that extra food off before the week is over and will be just fine.

Kelly - good luck on your family interview tonight. Would a 1 year old be your youngest? I told my cousin about my friend that had problems with the foam topper, she used to work at a "As seen on TV" store that sold 3" toppers, she said they had a lot of complaints about them for that reason.

Karen in NY - I have to up my exercise, I have not stopped logging all winter, even on the really bad days, but am just maintaining instead of losing. I need to step it up.

Ginny - Last year when I was actually losing, there were weeks that the scale didn't move at all but the inches on the tape measure kept getting smaller. It's funny how our bodies work.

Beth - I don't have pets, but have heard wonderful stories about CBD oil helping dogs as much as it helps humans.

lanette - That is awesome that you are getting a class organized.

Machka - Thanks to my Grandmother and my Father I know where most of my ancestors are buried going back generations. Like you though I believe that they are above watching what I'm doing. I dream about them a lot. I had a lady in my life that I called Mom, she was actually a friends Mom, she and I were very close. Whenever I am struggling or stressed she comes to me in a dream and gives me guidance. It is so weird but so comforting at the same time. Can your husband tell you if your eyes are partially open when you sleep? Does he ever wake when you are sleeping?

Evelyn - "Funnily enough, when I don't snack my way thru the kitchen every night and log my food, I lose weight" This is me to a T. I struggle so badly with boredom eating.

Elizabeth - I don't understand women's sizes either. I just bought new size 12 jeans because the 14's were falling off me, literally. The 12's fit even a little loose still because I don't need to unbutton them to get them on and off but cause terrible muffin top. Maybe I need to look at more expensive jeans.

Rori - Glad your rest day yesterday helped.

I had a pleasant surprise yesterday, I have been invited to go to Calgary on May 18th with my daughter and her fiance to attend a shower his family is holding for them. I will stay at his Aunt's house with his Mother for the night. His mother is flying in from Brandon and then will come up to Edmonton for a couple of days before flying home. His mother is a lovely woman and I'm excited to spend some time with her. It will be nice to meet Brodey's family before the wedding as well.

I am waiting to hear when I will be having the chat with Sarah regarding the job. I hope she sets up a time and doesn't just call randomly.

Have a great day everyone,
    Tracey in rainy Edmonton
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Tracey - Love the cards!!!

Okie
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Tracey ~ You are so talented! :)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lanette: Your video clip shows how I stood up without using my hands it when I was challenging myself. The discussion here motivated me to try and it worked out very well. Yoga has done wonders for me. I’m in a class that is mostly 50+. Several of the students are well past 70 and there is a mix of men and women. Yoga is available 2 or 3 mornings a week at the gym where I go. My healthcare insurance pays for my gym membership. I think the theory is that the gym membership saves them money by lowering the number of doctor visits, and I think that is true. Tai Chi would very likely have similar benefits as yoga. :smiley: On another topic, where do you get your CBD oil? I would like to use some on my dog. (Maybe on people, too.) The stores around here charge exorbitant prices. :cry:

Karen in VA: Thanks for your kind words. I’m still not over my parents’ refusal to let me attend my cousin’s funeral. Her whole high school class was there, my little cousins were there, and I was home alone while my parents were there. Here we are, more than 50 years later, and I still resent my parent’s actions. Perhaps it is time to forgive and move on. :embarrassed:

Lisa: I hope your doctor gives you adequate support so that you heal and regain your freedom. :flowerforyou:

(((Barbara))) I am sorry for the loss of your friend. :heart: :broken_heart::heart:

Machka: Eye drops sound like a good idea. I hope they work well for you. We have some over the counter drops that work well when we have hazy or smokey air. :heart:

I was going to have a cyst removed from my back but it has gone down so much that insurance won’t pay for removal. I’m very happy with that. If things get worse I can reschedule.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Katla - bought my CBD oil at the healthfood store - Karen in VA gets hers here: https://bluebirdbotanicals.com/ (thanks Karen for the link ;) ) which is probably where I'll order from next time.

I love how you and Heather always look forward to your yoga classes, the sit-to-stand benefit is something a person doesn't think of but yoga sure has paid off for you and others who do it on a regular basis.

Lanette
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    Options
    Barbara - My sympathies for the loss of your friend. Friends are so important to us. <3

And to Sharon - those losses must have been devastating.

I am still waiting for news of my cancer friend. She doesn't respond any more to messages, so we are all reliant on those nearby to relay information. :'( I think about her constantly and hate feeling impotent.

Swing dancing was fun this evening. Because of the bank holiday it was a small class, but we did some complicated moves. I'm trying to persuade DH to lead properly. He is too much of a gentleman to push women around!

Lanette - I'm not currently going to a yoga class. I didn't really get on with the one I started here. I adored my old one at my old house, but so much depends on the teacher and the group. I do some yoga moves every morning in my bedroom which keeps me supple and helps with core strength. I would love to find a group like my old one, it was the highlight of my week.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    CBD oil question- those of you who use it for arthritis pain (or similar pain); are you using it topically or orally? Thinking about it for my hubby, who is not too keen on it in the first place (the stigma of "pot") but would need to practically bathe in it to cover his whole body due to his RA (which he is also not keen on). Can it be taken orally?
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies,I'm tucked in and it's raining, sorta sounds nice and soothing.. though we have had to much rain DFIL only had 4 little cups of ice cream today.. looked like he was in a bit of pain.. they will give him some tylenol.. have care meeting for him at 10 am tomorrow and then meeting my girlfriend at her house for lunch and taking the dogs to the park for a walk.