WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2019

Options

Replies

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    Yvonne ... we are giving our labrador CBD in capsule form that can be hidden in a treat or sprinkled over food. We went with this company: . I was especially intrigued by what they call the "entourage effect." We continue to see improvement today ... day 6!

Kelly ... my husband has been flirting with the idea of CBD for his chronic pain/nerve damage issues for the same reasons Tim is reluctant to try them. As you might recall, my husband has had multiple back surgeries and for years was on extremely high doses of multiple opiates. His last surgery provided some relief and through sheer will-power he weaned himself off of the opiates. His pain medication doctor says he is the only patient she has in her practice that has been successful in doing this given the levels of medications he was on. Anyways, he still has pain from arthritis and there is damage from bone shards having been lodged in his spinal nerves. The only thing he takes in prescription form is a muscle relaxant and a lowered dose of gabapentin. He is trying the CBD in "gummy" form ... why gummies ... because this a what a friend has shared with him. SMH. He is seeing significant pain relief! Not completely pain free by any means ... but enough of a change that he decided to discuss it with his doctor. Who said go for it! There are definitely different formulations and companies to choose from and the process of how they extract the CBD is important as well. I'm not sure the the CBD he has is even the best one for him. I'm still researching. Thank you to those sharing links.

My younger son (finished junior year in college) started his summer job yesterday (in a position related to his chosen career path) and spent an hour last night talking to his dad and I about his day. He was so excited! I'm not sure we've ever seen him so happy or confident or grateful. Did my heart good.

The scale is bouncing around this week and I need to get my act back together!

Have a great day!
    Beth near Buffalo
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday...Carol in GA :)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Kelly

There are lots of good CBD oils available now. Bluebird Botanicals, NuLeaf, CBDistillery, and many more. I recommend organic, cold processed (CO2 extraction) CBD oil without "extras" added. Avoid the extremes of pricing. Between 11 and 15 cents per milligram of cannabinoid is reasonable.

If they don't transparently publish or provide access to the independent third party lab testing for each batch, don't buy from them. Avoid websites that make unsubstantiated claims about CBD's ability to limit, treat or cure cancer, neurodegenerative conditions, autoimmune diseases, opioid use disorder, and other serious diseases.

Look for mg of cannabinoids per oz or per serving, not "mg of hemp" (whatever that is).

The 3rd party lab testing should look like a lab analysis, not just a marketing statement of what is supposedly tested.

I hope that helps. CBD oil made a big difference for my Yorkie Farley during the last year of his life. Initially, I didn't have much hope that it would help him, but it really did demonstrably improve his quality of life. I didn't use a product especially for pets.

Karen in Virginia
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    late afternoon check in
    ✔️ 1. weighed in, 59.1 (130.3 lbs)
    ✔️2. tracked all yesterday I think, and today so far
    ✔️ 3. 30 min exercise
    ✔️ 4. five minutes meditation
    not yet 5.Spend at least 2h on long term writing project
    not yet 6.produce at least 2 pages per day -
    not yet 7. Take care of at least one shorter (1 pagish) writing or administrative task/bill, yesterday
    ✔️ 8. At least 15 min cleaning
    in progress 9. At least 15 min filing/paperwork
    ✔️ 10.average 1100 calories net yesterday

• Overall Feeling: medium
    • Tracking :yes
    • Exercise yesterday : just steps and cleaning again but just able to make it to 30 min with 15-20 min walk
    • 1100 calories net: so far so good
    • Long term writing 2hrs yesterday : not yet
    • Long term writing 2 pages yesterday : not yet
    • Short term writing/admin yesterday : not yet
    • Bright Spots : the things checked off above, good classes yesterday

Grateful :
    1. cafés
    2. GF quinoa bread
    3. toaster
    4. tahini
    5. fresh carrots
    6. soy yogurt
    7. squash seeds
    8. gomasio
    9. meditation
    10. kombucha
    11. mostly quite pleasant students

I'm actually feeling pretty stressed, and super under pressure for long term writing project.
    Regretting choice to have gotten involved in it. it's been complicated. a lot of stuff has come up ofter the time I've been working on it. and I don't know how fruitful it's been.
    still not very chipper but a bit better than upon awakening this morning.
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    grandmaillie, I love the outdoor set!

machka9 LOL for the cartoon and photos

stressed over here. aiming to get free of it and move on.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,374 Member
    Options
    Barbie - we feel the same way about our dogs. Since DH cannot or will not get out and socialize, having his "girls" around keeps him motivated. Yes, they are expensive and need to be exercised - thankfully ours are small and have 2 fenced acres to burn off their energy each day. We've chosen to make them a priority in our life right now rather than traveling, expensive meals out, etc.

Kelly - OK, my DH does use CBD every day.... but he goes for the full meal including THC deal since we live in a legal state. He generally has a little "smoke" before bed and sleeps deeply and pain free. The past couple days he's had tremendous pain in his back and hips and had an after-lunch smoke which kept him pain free for the afternoon. For him to do that is very rare.

We are able to buy cannabis that is specifically bred for ultra high CBD and lower THC content. Love it that everything is tested and that information is always printed on the label. I echo what Karen said about independent lab testing.

Of course, the higher the THC the sleepier a person can get..... and it will show up in a blood test. The amount of THC in the CBD oil sold in states where it's not legal is very negligible and doesn't show up in blood tests from what I understand.

The nurse in my doc's office B) said that a THC/CBD tincture (add a few drops to a drink) is a good alternate to opioids. So I started researching it. It appears CBD sometimes works better for people if they use something with more THC = entourage effect as Beth mentioned. But some people don't need it and the CBD oil works fine as is.

DH and I and another friend of ours who has RA use a salve called "Muscle Melt" - 3/5 THC and 2/5 CBD. Rubbed over knees and shoulders, it quickly eliminates pain. I paid $25 for a 2 oz jar several months ago and we've barely made a dent.

Legalizing MJ is controversial - I think more folks are apt to abuse it now in our state and drive impaired, but the relief on the medical side is helping so many. The price on MJ items has really come down due to the big supply now legally grown and processed in our state.

That said, I hope Tim can find some relief. It might be worth a try.

Lanette
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,597 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Good morning all! Happy Wednesday!
    Tracey- The cards are amazing! You are becoming quite the craftsman/ craftswoman with the cricut and the fancy designs! Great work!
    Karen and Lanette- You guys posted a link about cbd oil? I think I thought it was a shopping link for it. I must have skimmed over that! I will have to go back and find it. Lanette, your hubby is using it for his RA, right? Is it working for him?
    Pip- " holy farts" lol :D That killed me! You remind me of my two sons (ages 32 and 25); they will often just text each other the word "fart" or other little poop jokes/emojis out of the blue. lol (male bonding) Two questions: What is your fundraising goal? And does Kirby use anything special to help with his pain? He is amazingly active! B)
    Heather- safe travels on your train trip to visit your brother. Like you, my only pet was the dog I had growing up. He had to be put down after 14 years (old age) and it broke my heart. I was 14. I remember I climbed a tree and wouldn't come down all day. Then I spent a great deal of time not talking to my parents. I never got a dog as an adult. We lived in apartments for the first ten years of our married life, add the daycare business to that, and having a dog became a liability. :/ Some day. But it has to be the right dog at the right time. I am the same as you with plants. Herbs, I can do; because they pretty much take care of themselves. I find it odd that I can keep small children healthy and alive, but plants do better the less I have anything to do with them!
    Ginger- Love your gratitude lists! I agree, it is nice to be able to touch base with siblings. IF only for a short phone conversation. It is like a cool drink of water, sometimes. Quenches a thirst that you didn't know you had. <3
    Yvonne- Yes! The storm season in Texas! My daughter has been complaining about them! She has a rough time down there with no basement to run to during the tornado warnings and really bad thunderstorms. She has spent nights in the tub/bathroom with Joaquin. (her hubby is Texan, so he just sleeps through them)
    Machka- My older sister sleeps with her eyes open. She uses eye drops (lubricant) and a gel mask (to keep her eyes shut). It was very weird sharing a room with her as a child.
    Sharon- Losing your "me-ness" really resonated with me. I think I was about 40 when I realized I had lost myself while trying to be everything for everyone. Age 47 was when I really started standing up for me, though. In the beginning it caused quite a row between Tim and I, but I think he finally began to recognize the girl that he had fallen in love with (crazy, stupid ideas and all).
    Later this month I have a date with a group of girls I knew in high school. We were on the pom-pom squad together. lol SO...we are going to see the movie Poms (with Diane Keaton) and going out for drinks after. It should be a fun night.
    Just got a message that my little early bird is staying home again today. Not sick, just daddy is a truck driver and has had the past couple of days at home. So happy that they keep their little guy home when dad is home. A lot of parents would bring their child to daycare either so as not to interrupt their normal routine or so that parent can have a day to themselves. Because his daddy is on the road so much, I love that they spend as much time, as they can, together, when he is home.
    Oh, the interview with the new family, last night, went really well. It could go either way, as they already have him going to a center that they like. They let me know that ideally, they want him in a home. BUT...it is hard to leave a care situation that you are comfortable with. Very nice couple, though. I would love to have them as one of my families. We shall see...
    Well, still have to scoot and get laundry folded and pancakes made. Wednesday means pancakes for the little ones! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

i have a VERY VERY foul mouth. and i throw around the "f" word like saying and, if or but... while at work, in an effort to stop (not very successful) instead of saying my usual "f" word after holy, i started saying holy farts.

i am not very sure that i will make my goal this year. i got a wild hair and entered 1500.00 eeeekkk. it's usually been 1000.00 all the other times. i'm happy for whatever i get. kirby has almost caught up to me already... that's what happens when you work with rich folks... i don't.

As far as kirby's pain, he doesn't do anything. he puts on his big boy panties and sucks it up
  • pipcd34
    Options
    to Snowflake1968 can i pay you to do one for me?
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Beth: Congratulations to your husband and your son. Good news for the whole family! :heart:

Machka: Congrats on being below your calorie limit. Good luck completing your two assignments in plenty of time. :flowerforyou:

Allie: Your home is delightful and seems like a happy place. I love your color choices. :heart:

Machka: I love the cartoon!! I had metal fillings, too—silver amalgam. They’re all replaced now, I think. The silver is not a healthy thing to have in your mouth. :noway:

Lisa: Everyone is different. I can’t imagine our lives without a dog. I’m not much of a cat person but I had a very special cat when I went off to college. Later a neighborhood cat poisoner killed her, and eventually any other cat we had. I’m pretty sure he’s gone to his reward long ago. It would be fitting if God brought him back as a cat. :grumble:

We had another round with the post office yesterday. Something we ordered was reported as delivered, but it wasn’t in our mailbox. It turned out to be in someone else’s mailbox. This isn't the first time. They have a letter carrier that is incompetent, and I’m tired of the hassle. He needs a different job or adequate training. I’m contemplating making a formal complaint. I don’t know whether it would do any good. The man needs to be trained, assigned other work, or fired.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    Options
    P
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Katla said, "It would be fitting if God brought him back as a cat."

Love that! LOL
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,777 Member
    Options
    Pip - I love your reaction to my card, my MIL's will probably be similar, it's how I know she likes it. What do you want me to do for you? I'm game to try.

Heather - I so agree with you about pets, I grew up with them and it was always so hard saying goodbye. I can't afford huge vet bills and don't know what I would do if something happened and I couldn't afford to take it in. In saying that though, I think they are wonderful company for people that live alone and if anything were to happen to my husband I may end up with one.
    I have three plants in our house at my husband's insistence. I have managed to keep two of them alive for almost 20 years now. The third one came in the house in the Fall and will be going outside as soon as it is nice enough to plant out there.
    I hope your brother is able to enjoy his birthday and you are able to enjoy your trip to see him. I also hope you get some alone time with him.
    Your comment about winning the lottery made me think about the studying I have been doing. When the book I was reading was written in 2014 it stated that 11% of Canadians sited that their retirement plan was winning the lottery.

Allie - Your home looks so peaceful and inviting.

Kelly - Thank you for the compliment on the cards, truthfully for the pop up card, the only thing I used the Cricut for was the wording. Everything else I did by hand. For the vase, I cut the vase and all of the flowers out on the Cricut though.

Machka - Metal Fillings - that's funny.

Lisa - I grew up rural too and I think it helped tremendously understanding the cycle of life. I was taken to the funeral home often as my Dad lost one Aunt or Uncle one after the other when I was a child. I understood it, and was taught about the respect we show people because of it. My Sister in Law, never attended a funeral growing up and did not know how to handle it when her Grandmother passed when we were 19. I know that at times at funerals and when people have lost pets I have been called cold because I don't get as emotional as they feel I should.

Barbie - I love that you are living your dream of walking your dogs each day. I am still living with the financial struggle and don't see a complete end in sight, but I am grateful that I have always had food and this Winter and Srping we avoided having any utilities shut off.

CBD Oil - I have not had any personal experience with pain management, but have witnessed two people whose quality of life was greatly improved because of it.
    My youngest daughter at the age of 20 had 2 slipped discs in her back, the doctors prescribed various opiates as if they were candy. This scared my daughter a lot, she watched a lot of the Intervention show on A&E, so talked to her doctor and only used marijuana for pain relief. She suffered for two years and had a third disc starting to slip by the time she was going in for surgery. She is case study number 5 in North America for a new way to treat slipped discs and has had no issues since.
    My friend that was diagnosed as bipolar in 2016 has struggled immensely with insomnia and the inability to sleep, since October when Canada became legal she has started using CBD Oil and has found much improvement in her sleep which has helped her feel more like a "functioning member of society" (her words) since.

Katla - It would be nice to see him come back as a cat, over and over again. I will never understand people like that. I would think that the mail person needs to be taught some attention to detail. It's not that difficult to read the addresses, unless he/she is dyslexic.

Today my plan is to make a shirt for my daughter for Mother's Day. I also want to come up with a little something I can give to Kaitlyn and Brodey at their shower next weekend. I have already been making them things as practice on the Cricut, so will not be getting them much but Kaitlyn has sent me a picture of a shirt she wants.

The shirt she wants says, "Sorry I'm late my husband had to poop. #wifelife"

Kaitlyn is late for everything. It is common for anyone that is scheduling anything to tell her a half hour earlier start time so she arrives on time. Brodey is never late for anything. He pushes her to be on time and has been known to start leaving without her if she's not ready. I am trying to come up with a response to Kaitlyn's shirt for him.

Sarah did not call me yesterday and I am trying to decide whether to leave it in her hands or to email her. I haven't decided which I want to do yet.

I am off to maybe go for a walk and enjoy the bright sunny morning.
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Pip - holy farts - oh I have to remember that one!!! That could easily become my new favorite euphemism to avoid the f-bomb.

Kind of bummed this week. I messed up diet-wise. I've eaten some things I shouldn't have late at night. I'm not going to have weight gain, but I won't have weight loss either. Really trying to tell myself to make this a learning experience and move on.

All of my students are finished except one remaining in an externship until Friday. I'm so excited for them. Our program will have 6 graduates this May and all already have jobs! I'm so happy!!

My daughter came back from ballet festival with a nasty cold. She's managed to go to school, but she feels horrible. Seriously hoping she doesn't have mononucleosis. She's got all the symptoms except fever. She is fever-free.

Choir and handbell choir tonight. Mom's night out! Yay!!

Connie in KY
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,068 Member
    Options
    For muscle pain I use Arnica oil and have had success with that. It is for more minor aches and pains.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    One more thing about CBD oil. If you only need a drop or two, you can get more precise control if you squeeze most of the oil back into the bottle so there is only a small residual in the dropper. Less wasteful and less messy that way.
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,572 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »

The talk about funerals is interesting. While DH and I plan to be cremated (or donated if possible), I admit I am drawn to cemeteries and walking among the old headstones, reading the dates and family names and imagining what their lives were like. With the elimination of headstones, that history is gone forever. Sure, a person can find death notices on the internet, but it's just not the same.

I agree, Lanette. I find cemeteries very interesting places. My son and I had 30 minutes to spare a couple weeks ago, so I talked him into drive up to the "pioneer" cemetery near our house. Looking at the names and dates on the headstones was like walking through the history of our town. I find it so peaceful, for some reason.

That being said, however, I do not make regular visits to the graves of my loved ones. I like the idea of remembering them by what I have learned from them. I share stories of my grandparents and father all of the time.

I have no idea what I should do with myself when it comes time. I like the idea of medical research and natural burial, although the "mushroom suit" that Luke Perry was buried in may be a little too much for me to deal with.

Felicia, head finally above water after a week of crazy work life
    Willamette Valley, Oregon