WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2019

Options

Replies

• ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Today is Paste-Up Day!

"Before desktop publishing programs and digital imaging with computers, there was an era when newspapers, magazines, and similar materials were compiled by hand. The laying out of pages for publishing was done by a paste-up artist, who was also known as a mechanical artist, layout artist, production artist, or compositor. Paste Up Day was started at a time when paste-up artists were still common, and the holiday was for honoring them. Since paste-up work began disappearing in the 1990s, the holiday could now be seen more as a day to honor the legacy of paste-up work in general." I am a veteran of many a paste-up publication so this one is nostalgic for me!

Sharon - I understand about your "running buddy." I'd been "best friends" with mine since third grade, and now I find myself not so keen to do a lot of the things we used to do together. She was a force of nature! It's been almost six years but I still miss her every day.

bananasandoranges - A ski machine basically mimics the motion of cross-country skiing. Mine is a Nordic Track. Come to think of it, I inherited it from the friend I mentioned above when we moved to New Mexico and picked up skiing. It's a little trick to find the right rhythm but it's a great workout and I love it.

Shannon - Glad to hear the surgery went well!

Viv - That's great news about your mother. Sounds like that fall could have been a whole lot worse.

Barbara - My condolences on the loss of your friend. Hope that knowing he's at peace will bring you some comfort. And I'm happy to hear that Scooter is doing so much better. You're right, loving requires a stout heart!

Ginny - I can't do that sit-to-stand exercise without hands, but I think it's mostly because of the bad knee. I'm trying to conquer it, though.

Beth - Hurray for finding something that gave your lab some relief! Hope it continues to help. Are you giving it orally?

Lanette - There are no classes here but I need to push back the living room furniture and dust off my tai chi videos!

Connie - I hear ya. My "girls" are pretty ridiculous. They don't really bother me, but they are certainly hard to fit and bras in my size are really expensive. I wouldn't mind losing a bit there while I'm at this weight loss thing!

Got another storm coming in so time to go. Welcome to springtime in Texas.

-Yvonne in TX
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Lanette & Karen: Thanks for the links to CBD oil. Most things re available here because they’re legal. The trick is to have the right idea about what you need when you go to the store. Thanks for giving me the right ideas. :smiley:

Heather: You’re absolutely right when you sat the yoga class is dependent on the skill of the teacher. I’ve beenlucky. :star:

Allie: I’ve said it before, I think. You are your DFIL’s Guardian Angel. He is so lucky to have you in his life! i hope that all of us are lucky enough to have someone like you in our lives when things get tough. :heart:

Sharon: Your comments about people and critters reaching an edge they cannot cancel or cross is very insightful. :broken_heart::heart:

We got things done today that needed doing. My bug spray arrived and I treated both of my oriental wool rugs. I hope it works. :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    This is the pop up card I made yesterday.
    I think it’s going to my MIL. The vase shaker card I will send to my Mom.tfydrxlzw8oj.jpeg
    l58op3bp61x0.jpeg
    oek2ejq88uih.jpeg

Holy farts!!! That’s awesome!!
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Kirby tried the oil, didn’t work for his pain
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 6.50est.min, 14.1amph, 140mhr, 1.58mi= 78c
    apple watch- 66c
    SITTING HAND BIKE- 30min, 125mhr, 109ahr, 33arpm, 8.58km= 195c
    apple watch- 345c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 5.08min, 17.3amph, 139mhr, 1.47mi= 58c
    apple watch- 49c
    bike ride puy 2 sumn station- 15.24min, 11.8amph, 140mhr,3.03mi= 146c
    apple watch- 110c
    jog sta 2 wrk- 4.55min, 149mhr, 9.33min mi.51mi= 65c
    apple watch- 65c
    jog wrk 2 sta- 4.13min, 9.06min mi, 150mhr, .46mi= 59c
    apple watch- 58c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 19.18min 8.1amph, 140mhr, 2.61mi= 169c
    apple watch- 144c

total cal 770
  • pipcd34
    Options
    up to $540 on MS Donations!! it's getting there!
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    📙Accountability post for Monday, May 6th
    ✔1. Carbs 50g max with no more than 25g per meal. (48g)
    ✖️2. Fiber 25g. (8g)
    ✔️3. Track in MFP. Complete the entry daily.
    ✖️4. Exercise - log 30 Fitbit minutes (Zero Active minutes).
    ✖️5. No eating after 9pm.
    ✖️6. In bed by midnight.

• Overall Feeling. Tired.
    • Exercise. Nope. I crashed about 5:30pm. Stayed down until 9:pm.
    • Eating deadline. Nope.
    • Bedtime-Sleep Hygiene. Nope. Was up until 5am.
    • Bright Spot today. Appreciating my old Tiara glass honey amber fairy light. I've had it since the late 70s.
    • Today I’m grateful for:
    1. My husband stepping in to fill any gap I leave. Without prompting.
    2. Naps.
    3. The gift of hearing.
    4. Thick cotton bath rugs.
    5. Sour Cream.

-- Ginger in Texas
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    📙Accountability post for Tuesday, May 7th
    ✔1. Carbs 50g max with no more than 25g per meal. (47g)
    ✔2. Fiber 25g. (25g)
    ✔️3. Track in MFP. Complete the entry daily.
    ✖️4. Exercise - log 30 Fitbit minutes (Zero Active minutes).
    ✖️5. No eating after 9pm.
    ✔6. In bed by midnight.

• Overall Feeling.
    • Exercise. Nope. It was a rainy day and we lost power for a few hours. It was a day to relax.
    • Eating deadline. Nope.
    • Bedtime-Sleep Hygiene. Nope. Was up until 5am.
    • Bright Spot today. Group text chat with my 6 siblings. So nice to just touch base with them all. They are loving, supportive, funny.
    • Today I’m grateful for:
    1. This rainy day.
    2. Electricity.
    3. Book lights.
    4. My sister's back being pain free.
    5. Ripe Avocado. Great source of fiber.

We got 10-11 inches of rain today and lost power for about 3 hours. More rain coming. I hope to feel more energetic tomorrow. I have things to do.
    -- Ginger in Texas
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I'm currently trying to organise myself to get over to my "little" brother's for his 67th birthday. I'm not going to drive there, because I don't like cars much, but I can get there on the train. Bit of a journey for a short visit, but he can't get over here at the moment because he has had a recurrence of the "funny turn" he had at the theatre a couple of months ago. They have at last found a kidney stone, so he is not straying far from home. (They were going to come over here for a posh meal out and an overnight stay) He will be having treatment in 5 weeks.
    I love my brother very much.

On the subject of pets. I decided long ago that I could not bear the pain caused by the illness and death of a beloved pet. My parent's neglect of our beloved pets, and the suffering of some of them, made me realise that I do not need need that sorrow and worry in my life. I think I have a touch of PTSD about it. My beloved Siamese cat, Oscar, suffered far more than he should have from kidney disease. I hated my parents for it. They also neglected to worm them. My guinea pig family died of the freezing cold. My Cream cat had it's eye torn out by another cat and had to be put down. (That was not my parents' fault) I prefer to live petless so as not to have my heart broken. I also don't keep plants in the house. I don't want the responsibility of watching over them. I do have herbs on the kitchen window, but they are, by design, disposable.

Today we are picking up the kids and having fish and chips with them as a late birthday celebration for Max, who was 8 on Monday. After that we are off to the French Circle.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx in rainy Hove.
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Morning check in
    ✔️ 1. weighed in, 59.1 (130.3 lbs)
    ✔️2. tracked all yesterday I think
    ✔️ 3. 30 min exercise yesterday
    ✔️ 4. five minutes meditation yesterday
    x 5.Spend at least 2h on long term writing project yesterday
    x 6.produce at least 2 pages per day - yesterday
    x 7. Take care of at least one shorter (1 pagish) writing or administrative task/bill, yesterday
    ✔️ 8. At least 15 min cleaning yesterday
    debatable 8. At least 15 min filing yesterday
    ✔️ 9.average 1100 calories net yesterday

• Overall Feeling: not great
    • Tracking yesterday :yes
    • Exercise yesterday : yes, just steps and cleaning
    • 1100 calories net yesterday: yes
    • Long term writing 2hrs yesterday : no
    • Long term writing 2 pages yesterday : no
    • Short term writing/admin yesterday : no
    • Bright Spots : sv

Grateful :
    1. comfortable bed
    2. on track with calories
    3. slight sv
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Kate where are you going in Greece?
    Shannon thanks for the good news. wishing you a quick recovery.
    Yvonne thanks for the explanation. It's great to find an activity you love.
    Snowflake wow about the card!
    Ginger so much rain! is that common for Texas in one day? It sounds like monsoon.

After school vacation I taught yesterday. Classes went very well, but I have bad feelings about employers, and feel quite glum this morning upon awaking. I guess that may shift.
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    The sun didn't come out yesterday and it rained for most of the day, looks as if it is going to be even wetter today if that is possible. Hope it is dry tomorrow, I'm going to visit a Japanese Garden with the Ladies Who group. We are also having afternoon tea (so I will have to watch the calories!) It's not going to much fun if it is pouring with rain.

Tracey - The cards are gorgeous, I'm sure your mums will love them.

Talking about getting up off the floor, I used to be able to get up and down no problem, not sure what has happened, but the last few years I seem to have lost a lot of mobility, getting down is bad enough, but getting up, :o I need to use my hands or hold onto something to get up. I really must work on this. I don't want to end up like my mum, stuck on the floor and not being able to get up without help.

Barbara sorry for your loss, and with your beloved pet being so poorly too. I remember with our first dog Milo he had heart failure and wasn't doing so well so I called the vet to put him to sleep at home, Milo rallied a little so I called the vet to cancel, we had him another 3 or 4 months before we had to call the vet again. You are right, this love stuff does hurt.

Love to all <3

Viv York UK
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    This is the pop up card I made yesterday.
    I think it’s going to my MIL. The vase shaker card I will send to my Mom.tfydrxlzw8oj.jpeg
    l58op3bp61x0.jpeg
    oek2ejq88uih.jpeg

Nicely done!!
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    9bki2rjhrkbf.png
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Wednesday!
    Tracey- The cards are amazing! You are becoming quite the craftsman/ craftswoman with the cricut and the fancy designs! Great work!
    Karen and Lanette- You guys posted a link about cbd oil? I think I thought it was a shopping link for it. I must have skimmed over that! I will have to go back and find it. Lanette, your hubby is using it for his RA, right? Is it working for him?
    Pip- " holy farts" lol :D That killed me! You remind me of my two sons (ages 32 and 25); they will often just text each other the word "fart" or other little poop jokes/emojis out of the blue. lol (male bonding) Two questions: What is your fundraising goal? And does Kirby use anything special to help with his pain? He is amazingly active! B)
    Heather- safe travels on your train trip to visit your brother. Like you, my only pet was the dog I had growing up. He had to be put down after 14 years (old age) and it broke my heart. I was 14. I remember I climbed a tree and wouldn't come down all day. Then I spent a great deal of time not talking to my parents. I never got a dog as an adult. We lived in apartments for the first ten years of our married life, add the daycare business to that, and having a dog became a liability. :/ Some day. But it has to be the right dog at the right time. I am the same as you with plants. Herbs, I can do; because they pretty much take care of themselves. I find it odd that I can keep small children healthy and alive, but plants do better the less I have anything to do with them!
    Ginger- Love your gratitude lists! I agree, it is nice to be able to touch base with siblings. IF only for a short phone conversation. It is like a cool drink of water, sometimes. Quenches a thirst that you didn't know you had. <3
    Yvonne- Yes! The storm season in Texas! My daughter has been complaining about them! She has a rough time down there with no basement to run to during the tornado warnings and really bad thunderstorms. She has spent nights in the tub/bathroom with Joaquin. (her hubby is Texan, so he just sleeps through them)
    Machka- My older sister sleeps with her eyes open. She uses eye drops (lubricant) and a gel mask (to keep her eyes shut). It was very weird sharing a room with her as a child.
    Sharon- Losing your "me-ness" really resonated with me. I think I was about 40 when I realized I had lost myself while trying to be everything for everyone. Age 47 was when I really started standing up for me, though. In the beginning it caused quite a row between Tim and I, but I think he finally began to recognize the girl that he had fallen in love with (crazy, stupid ideas and all).
    Later this month I have a date with a group of girls I knew in high school. We were on the pom-pom squad together. lol SO...we are going to see the movie Poms (with Diane Keaton) and going out for drinks after. It should be a fun night.
    Just got a message that my little early bird is staying home again today. Not sick, just daddy is a truck driver and has had the past couple of days at home. So happy that they keep their little guy home when dad is home. A lot of parents would bring their child to daycare either so as not to interrupt their normal routine or so that parent can have a day to themselves. Because his daddy is on the road so much, I love that they spend as much time, as they can, together, when he is home.
    Oh, the interview with the new family, last night, went really well. It could go either way, as they already have him going to a center that they like. They let me know that ideally, they want him in a home. BUT...it is hard to leave a care situation that you are comfortable with. Very nice couple, though. I would love to have them as one of my families. We shall see...
    Well, still have to scoot and get laundry folded and pancakes made. Wednesday means pancakes for the little ones! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • Machka9
    Options
    ku62g6xudutp.jpg
    q7f7g04u1z8s.jpg
    first picture is the the chairs I drove in the pouring rain to get.. 2nd is the patio set my friend trudy and I put together, I did change it to the other corner of the patio... as you can see Alfie is doing the modeling lol

Very nice ... it's a colour scheme I really like. :)

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    fwklpzzmoakl.png
  • Machka9
    Options
    :lol::lol:

jue9twdci28b.png
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Allie, Love the furniture - after my parents divorced, my mother always used wicker or rattan furniture, as she said she didn't want anything she couldn't move around when she was ready to change things up. Brought back good memories.

Tracey - Your card work is beautiful...

On CBD- Tried it, both in gelcap form and on the skin, and it just upset my stomach one way and did nothing the other way, so gave it up. Incredibly expensive, but worth the try, I thought. Never was able to deal with glucosamine/chondroitin, either - makes all my joints feel like they have grit in them, not a good thing. Many home remedies don't work on me, though the recent spate of mouth ulcers has been helped quite a bit by swishing around a hydrogen peroxide mixture that Colgate puts out. The ulcers don't get as large, and they go away faster, which I appreciate. Pretty sure my teeth are getting whiter, too... nice to have a good side effect.

Heather - Totally understand about the pet thing - and if we get plants, my husband takes care of them. While we have Egg, and I enjoy her, I know we'll lose her, and that's just the way the world works. I will remember her when she's gone, but her leaving is inevitable. I'm at peace with that--especially since, like Sharon's furry friend, she probably would pee on my pillow if I didn't let her go in and out at will. She also gets seriously ticked at me when she goes outside and it's raining. It's much like living with a hairy (and shedding) roommate with a cranky temperament, who gets quite irate if not fed on schedule. I think my very rural upbringing keeps me pretty realistic on that side of things, and my husband feels the same way.

Working at home, no meetings in my day ahead, and ate my oat bran like a good girl. So far, it's been a good day.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR