WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2019

Options

Replies

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »

Katla - bravo! You are truly agile and your yoga and flexibility are paying off! The AARP article wasn't real specific other than saying going from sitting on the floor to standing w/o using hands. If they were talking about how these young gals go from sit to stand, then mortality is nipping at my heels! B)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_0MuVsyHfQ

Lanette
    SW WA State

"If you can't do this, you've got massive mobility problems."

43xvab6279l6.png

Felicia, who hasn't even yet tried it
    Willamette Valley, Oregon

• OregonMother
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    Wishing all y’all well!

Little has changed here. Lots of challenges and difficulties especially financial which seem insurmountable but cuddling with kitties helps lift spirits.

Weight is doing pretty well, within 7 pounds of my lowest last spring. Exercise is at the minimums ( 2 x week swsy and 2 x lap swims) but steady.

Husband had a big health scare this spring but a silver lining: he is picking up his exercise and eating better.

Anyway just wanted to say hi and wish everyone the best.

Rye

So glad to hear from you! You have been missed.

Felicia
  • OregonMother
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »

Kelly - Sharon - Barbara AHMOD - Tracey..... ah yes, love and the waterbed. That's what flashed into my mind as well when Kelly mentioned romance and her foam topper. <3 . >:) Getting out of THAT dang waterbed was a challenge. How many times did I resort to pulling myself over the edge and ending up on my knees and getting up from there? Too many!

We have a water bed. My husband is such a child of the 70s. Sometimes, when I have had been glutened, and my joints are screaming at me, it is all I can do to roll myself up to a seated position and get out of bed. But I guess it's good for sex. And on cold nights, I love it when the water is really warm.

I asked my husband one time how old we have to get before we can have a real bed, and he just growled at me.

Felicia
  • OregonMother
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Feeling low and sad. My difficult friend passed this morning at 05:30 EDT. Know he suffered both pain and embarrassment, he's been "terminal" (aren't we all) for at least the past 2 years, but even when expected, it's hard to take. Have been sad for a week, Scooter was doing so poorly after his dental that we scheduled an at home euthanasia. He's bounced back, mostly, so we'll put it off, but know the time is coming. Dang, this love stuff hurts! :cry:

I am so sorry for these difficult times.

Felicia

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,715 Member
    Options
    Pip - I love your reaction to my card, my MIL's will probably be similar, it's how I know she likes it. What do you want me to do for you? I'm game to try.

Heather - I so agree with you about pets, I grew up with them and it was always so hard saying goodbye. I can't afford huge vet bills and don't know what I would do if something happened and I couldn't afford to take it in. In saying that though, I think they are wonderful company for people that live alone and if anything were to happen to my husband I may end up with one.
    I have three plants in our house at my husband's insistence. I have managed to keep two of them alive for almost 20 years now. The third one came in the house in the Fall and will be going outside as soon as it is nice enough to plant out there.
    I hope your brother is able to enjoy his birthday and you are able to enjoy your trip to see him. I also hope you get some alone time with him.
    Your comment about winning the lottery made me think about the studying I have been doing. When the book I was reading was written in 2014 it stated that 11% of Canadians sited that their retirement plan was winning the lottery.

Allie - Your home looks so peaceful and inviting.

Kelly - Thank you for the compliment on the cards, truthfully for the pop up card, the only thing I used the Cricut for was the wording. Everything else I did by hand. For the vase, I cut the vase and all of the flowers out on the Cricut though.

Machka - Metal Fillings - that's funny.

Lisa - I grew up rural too and I think it helped tremendously understanding the cycle of life. I was taken to the funeral home often as my Dad lost one Aunt or Uncle one after the other when I was a child. I understood it, and was taught about the respect we show people because of it. My Sister in Law, never attended a funeral growing up and did not know how to handle it when her Grandmother passed when we were 19. I know that at times at funerals and when people have lost pets I have been called cold because I don't get as emotional as they feel I should.

Barbie - I love that you are living your dream of walking your dogs each day. I am still living with the financial struggle and don't see a complete end in sight, but I am grateful that I have always had food and this Winter and Srping we avoided having any utilities shut off.

CBD Oil - I have not had any personal experience with pain management, but have witnessed two people whose quality of life was greatly improved because of it.
    My youngest daughter at the age of 20 had 2 slipped discs in her back, the doctors prescribed various opiates as if they were candy. This scared my daughter a lot, she watched a lot of the Intervention show on A&E, so talked to her doctor and only used marijuana for pain relief. She suffered for two years and had a third disc starting to slip by the time she was going in for surgery. She is case study number 5 in North America for a new way to treat slipped discs and has had no issues since.
    My friend that was diagnosed as bipolar in 2016 has struggled immensely with insomnia and the inability to sleep, since October when Canada became legal she has started using CBD Oil and has found much improvement in her sleep which has helped her feel more like a "functioning member of society" (her words) since.

Katla - It would be nice to see him come back as a cat, over and over again. I will never understand people like that. I would think that the mail person needs to be taught some attention to detail. It's not that difficult to read the addresses, unless he/she is dyslexic.

Today my plan is to make a shirt for my daughter for Mother's Day. I also want to come up with a little something I can give to Kaitlyn and Brodey at their shower next weekend. I have already been making them things as practice on the Cricut, so will not be getting them much but Kaitlyn has sent me a picture of a shirt she wants.

The shirt she wants says, "Sorry I'm late my husband had to poop. #wifelife"

Kaitlyn is late for everything. It is common for anyone that is scheduling anything to tell her a half hour earlier start time so she arrives on time. Brodey is never late for anything. He pushes her to be on time and has been known to start leaving without her if she's not ready. I am trying to come up with a response to Kaitlyn's shirt for him.

Sarah did not call me yesterday and I am trying to decide whether to leave it in her hands or to email her. I haven't decided which I want to do yet.

I am off to maybe go for a walk and enjoy the bright sunny morning.
    Tracey in Edmonton

I would want on for Kirbys bday. Putting a bike and golden retrievers and a black lab in there somewhere would blow him away!
  • OregonMother
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Caught up! It's been a nice hour checking in with all of you.

This past week has been insane, but I am hoping work issues will calm down now that commencement is over and students are gone and faculty are wrapping things up. I am leaving work today at 1:00 and am planning to enjoy the beautiful sun and then go get my oil changed at 3:00. I absolutely love this time of year.

My doc ordered a bunch of lab work before he would renew my bp medicine, and the results always alarm me. My kidney function is down again -- not alarmingly so, but out of the range of normal. I have an appointment next week to go over the results and get the prescription renewed, so I am going to try to remember to ask him about it.

I better get some work done today before I go home.

ETA: Well never mind. Just logged in to my chart to see the following message:

The following is a message in regards to results from your Doctor:

Cholesterol is much improved. Other labs look good. No changes in current medication.

Thank you,
    XXX, Nursing Staff to Dr. XXX

So there you go. Nothing to worry about??

Felicia
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouraging words! <3

Still busy but working towards time to be better on this forum! I’ll leave you with a silly dog.

RV Rita

6wrwztzafcjs.jpeg
    qzjt9qwhogi0.jpeg
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Rita ~ Your pup and parrot are darling.... :)
  • 1948Peachy
    Options
    Kneeling and Sitting with no Help ~ Afraid that is out for me! I can just imagine how I would land if I tried to sit down with no help. I think the kneeling is out because of my knee replacement (I hope not because I don't know how I will be able to wash the Pom in the tub).

Carol in GA
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    Lenora--So glad to hear from you. Remember this is a safe place and you can vent anytime.

KJ-pillow under the hips.

Rye-Sending Hugs and prayers that things will work in your favor soon.

Barbara-Sending hugs and prayers. Loss is never easy.

PIP-Glad you got it ok, thank you for doing this ride.

Tracey-Beautiful cards.

Allie-New stuff looks really nice. enjoy for me too.

Been raining here all day. Going to go home and take a nap.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,806 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    thanks ladies for the compliments,yes my taste to a tea..Heather~ that mirror is probably over 100 yrs old and came from the cottage up in New Hamphire.. the paint is Palladian Blue and I love it, a couple of the other ladies here have the color and I loved it so I was a copy cat.. picked up my new dining set though its actually patio furniture.. but I love it.. will post a picture when I can..
    Went to my friends for lunch and we walked the pups at the park which they loved and and stopped at an ice cream shop and got them pup cups, well it was a first for Alfie and let me tell you he was enthralled ..he will sleep good tonight.. as will I I think..I hope ..
    got a call from the attorneys office about my dads estate, they are on a timeline now and needs stuff signed, well I will be working 9-5 . they somehow have to make it happen...
    I have the windows open to get some fresh air in and have the wind chimes hanging from my window.. so nice and peaceful...
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Yvonne in TX, yes, you understand how the loss of a "running buddy" can impact you. We needed each other. We were both exhausted from a few years of caring for spouses in poor health. She came up with fun conversations, and I stood an occasional small treat like the night before she died. It was dinner at Applebee's - an inexpensive place, but a cut above Shari's and Denny's, our usual spots. She had a couple of drinks, and I had my usual Virgin Mary, and we treated ourselves, since it was my birthday eve. Much laughter, and much silliness. And the next day, she was gone.

I'm sorry if I seem to be dwelling on these losses lately a lot. I think the successful surgery and subsequent weight loss have something to do with it. Food was my crutch and comfort even when I had a husband and a close friend.

Ginger in TX - Your fairy light sounds beautiful. Can we have a picture?

Heather in UK, nothing better than fish and chips (or anything else!) with grandkids, and then your French Circle. Sounds like a delightful evening.

I'm sorry your parents were so irresponsible with your pets. Those losses would have been devastating.

Lisa in AR, your Egg sounds quite a bit like ol' Mr. Topsy! I missed him and grieve for him even though he could be a royal pain in the a- er… neck.

Machka, that cat is me if I have to arise before 9.

Carol in GA, you'll do fine! Just put a folder towel under your knees when kneeling, after your recovery period, of course.

Allie, your color choices and furniture arrangements show a real feeling for your personal style. I wish I had that gift.

I need to get out in the sunshine today. Our weather is on a delightful streak - highly unusual for this time of year!

Sharon Near Seattle
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,715 Member
    Options
    I got the call!!! I am meeting with her boss Tuesday at 1030. She gave me some tips for meeting him. I’m nervous and excited now, but as she said once that’s done it’s up to the universe, I should know I’ve given it my best.

Pip - when is Kirby’s birthday and does he have a favourite colour?

Tracey

7-10-55 blue I think, I’ll confirm later when I get home
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    late evening check in

✔️ 1. weighed in, 59.1 (130.3 lbs)
    ✔️2. tracked all day I think
    ✔️ 3. 30 min exercise
    ✔️ 4. five minutes meditation
    ✔️5.Spend at least 2h on long term writing project
    ✔️6.produce at least 2 pages per day -
    x 7. Take care of at least one shorter (1 pagish) writing or administrative task/bill, yesterday
    ✔️ 8. At least 15 min cleaning
    ✔️9. At least 15 min filing/paperwork
    ✔️ 10.average 1100 calories

• Overall Feeling: better
    • Tracking :yes
    • Exercise yesterday : just steps and cleaning again but just able to make it to 30 min with 15-20 min walk
    • 1100 calories net average : 200 over today, but 200 under yesterday, so okay
    • Long term writing 2hrs: yes, started at 6pm and worked about 5 hours
    • Long term writing 2 pages :yes, about 7 pages, not finished pages, but not super rough either
    • Short term writing/admin yesterday : nope !
    • Bright Spots : the things checked off above, wine pump, old wine

Grateful :
    1. finally got some work done this evening
    2. wine
    3. wine pump
    4. being on track
    5. slight loss apparently (or down fluctuation)
    6. representatives working
    7. got some papers sorted

I feel better to have gotten some work done.
    I actually need to do 11 pages per day now. I need to give 100 pages on May 14th. I had 24.5 pages done before today. That means 75 left to produce from May 8th to 14th (7 days including Sunday).
    So even though I did 7 pages today (which feels better than zero, one or two) it's not totally enough.
    I don't mind being flexible with myself but if I miss a few pages today, that means more than 11 every other day, which becomes a bit rough, not to mention rereading time...

plus I have a big chunk of student papers to correct. that is time consuming but not hard at all.

Theoretical and conceptual writing is long and hard.(for me)
    Some writing is just descriptive and is more simple and fast.
    Maybe I can do a bit more of that this evening.

sorry if this sounds weird. its just work.

I'm having about a glass of wine per evening some evenings (not in the mood every evening)
    I can't bear to drink more so was buying half bottles of wine, from time to time, since wine doesn't keep well after 3 days or so, even in the fridge. I ordered a wine pump and now was able to open a normal bottle, which is supposed to make the wine keep 6x longer (so 18 days for a bottle?= 7 glasses). it's so much better than the very small pickings for half-bottles.
    sorry if that is disturbing for some. wine used to make me feel ill (and I'm very intolerant to gluten and rather intolerant to dairy) so I'm happy when there are some treats I can have.

I like that it's not that many calories for a small glass of wine (125ml) and it feels like a real treat.
  • 1948Peachy
    Options
    Banana ~ I love my wine...too much!

Sharon ~ The only reason I mentioned kneeling is because I read some blogs somewhere that said it wasn't advised. But, I will certainly try. I am a trooper.

Sharon ~ I am so sorry that you have had so many losses in your life. I would love to have a close friend but have not found that to be good for me over the years.

My sister disturbed me by posting on Facebook that she wanted a divorce. I know that she is going through some really tough time with her husband, but, that seems to be too much information for alerting the world...especially when it probably won't happen after 30+ years of marriage. JMO.

Carol in GA
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Lanette I'm so sorry about your husband's pain. good that he can have CBD. It sounds like it can be really helpful.

I have not lived in the usa since the 80s! so legal stuff seems so surreal to me. I know one of my BIL smokes daily and so they did a trip to Colorado for new year's when it became legal there. 20ish niece and nephew who grew up in CO were I guessed influenced by the ambiant just say no and when I last went about a year ago were not in the slightest interested in marijuana and were kind of "yuck, no way" attitude about it.

pip, I'm maybe not the only one, holy "farts" makes me think of that Netflix show "the good place" where the F word comes out "fork"

efricke1 two workouts in one day sound rough. awesome about being under.

Katia, a cat poisoner? I've had post office issues of late as well (though I live in a different country). It used to seem impeccable and at present, issues are not unusual (ie: a registered letter than disappears) I wonder if the lesser use of postal mail means less money in postal service and less quality. Winning the lottery sounds like a good idea. Only 11% is not bad.

Connie wow for the students' jobs!

We sprinkled the ashes of our parents in a pond we used to swim in that one of them loved. (and the other one kept talking about) It's not allowed so we did if furtively in a remote place (very far from the beach area). I usually try to go there when I'm in that area, if I can manage it.

it have not lived in the USA since the 80s so legal marijuana still seems surreal to me when I read you guys talking about it. I guess its sales and distribution used to be related to one or another mafia or cartel way back when. legalisation must be diminishing that somewhat.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Carol as time goes on I'm more and more discerning and post less and less. I pretty much almost only post work information or (even less and less) political info.
    some people are not so aware of the reach and possible impact of FB posts.