WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2019

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,145 Member
    Options
    lybarni wrote: »
    Hi! First time here. I’m Linda age 51. I
    Just started walk/run intervals to lose 25 lbs so I could use all the support/motivation I can get. Love quotes and mantras. I’m following a program called from fit to finish line which trains you to run a mile. I make weekly goals. My goal is to go to the gym 5 days. Run/walk 3 days and strength train 2. Anyone out there a runner?

I got into running in Nov 2017! I used to run back when I was a teenager, but hadn't done much in between then and 2017, but I started running in Nov 2017 and then did a 10K event in Jan 2018. I liked it so much I kept running and in Jan 2019, I ran a half marathon.

Unfortunately we've discovered some issues with my right hip and lower back which have had me side-lined since then, but I'm hoping to get back into it. I'd love to do another half marathon in Jan 2020. :)

Meanwhile, I walk, cycle and row.

Machka in Oz
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    ao7g5w3ky351.jpg

My boot. Hard rocker bottom. Top of boot hits just below the knee. I'm motivated to heal up and get out this.

Rori
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Rori, when I broke my ankle and foot last summer, I was told to sleep in my boot as well. I used a pillow between my good foot and my boot to help with side sleeping. I will confess that many nights I did take mine off around 4:00 a.m. when I couldn’t get comfortable for a few hours of relief. My husband was sleeping in the other room, though. I would not have chanced it if I was sharing the bed.

Beth, congrats on being out of the plus sizes.

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    tracy that is so sad about Linda. What an important person. You have so much going on right now.

sharon i smoked mj as a teen and at first it was good and made me laugh and then it made me paranoid and tired (not very intereesting). Your current experience sounds great. I was thinking in stuff one could buy way back when you Never knew what was in it. I know some cut it with tobacco to save money, but there could have been other drugs or chemicals put in.
  • cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Legalized marijuana - still not completely sure how I feel about it. My daughter’s other granny (the one who is NOT my mother) was totally a hippie in the late 60s/early 70s and used frequently. So my daughter comes to me and says granny wants me to make “Alice brownies”. The woman is 12 years post stroke and not always in her right mind, but she knew the recipe. She has no weed, so no brownies.

They do love their edibles!!

Connie in KY
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    midday checkin - thought I already posted. sorry if doubling. I'm confused.
    ✔️ 1. weighed in today 59.5
    ✔️2. tracked all so far
    not yetx 3. 30 min exercise
    ✔️ 4. five minutes meditation
    not yetx 5.Spend at least 2h on long term writing project
    not yetx 6.produce at least 10-11 pages per day (until May 14th)
    ✔️ 7. Take care of at least one shorter (1 pagish) writing or administrative task/bill, (union work doesn't count)
    ✔️ 8. At least 15 min cleaning, (15 min ironing, and 5 min basic picking up)
    ✔️9. At least 15 min filing/paperwork
    unfinished 10.average 1100 calories

• Overall Feeling: very stressed - union stuff - dishonest sneaky directors -reminds me of some governments
    • Tracking : so far so good
    • Exercise : zilch so far which very probably adds to stress
    • 1100 calories net average : in progress
    • Long term writing 2hrs: nothing yet, also adds to stress
    • Long term writing 10-11 pages day until May 14th : nothing yet, adds to stress
    • Short term writing/admin yesterday : yes, wrote to taxes
    • Bright Spots : some kind colleagues and classmates

Grateful :
    1. seem to be half a kilo down and clothes are ever so little less tight
    2. yesterday's colleague invited me down to come see them 40 min out of town near huge forest and river where one can swim in a few weeks for a day trim
    3. she's a pleasant and also competent colleague
    4. some of the points checked off above
    5. it's not raining
    6. some stuff checked off
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Tracey - That was a big loss. And a horrible way to hear about it. :'( Many good wishes for your interview next week. We will all be cheering you on. Do some dancing and 'Power Poses' before hand. :D

Sharon - I so loved my cats, but most of them came to bad ends. :'(:'( I have never forgiven my parents, especially my mother. Oscar, my Seal point Siamese, was a human being in cat form. I cannot bear to see animals suffering now.

Today is 41 years since my baby Kate was stillborn. Ante partum hemmorage. She was a full 40 weeks. Of course I very nearly died, which helped me somewhat at the time. I knew I was lucky to be alive at all. I lived near a top teaching hospital which saved my life. I saved up my reaction to when I had my younger son just over a year later. A full blown post natal depression which nobody recognised at the time. I feel the consequences are still active in my older son's anxiety,( but I know there are also hereditary tendencies. )
    I really felt her loss for many years because I so much wanted a girl baby, but all that sadness went away when I heard that my son was going to have a girl. Now I have two granddaughters. I love all three grandchildren, but, because of her loss, I have special joy in my granddaughters.

Going to run after lunch. Yes, I am another runner. I was going to go yesterday, but it started to rain.
    After that we have another Fringe event. Rythmn and Blues/Rock.

The hairdresser cut my hair slightly too short yesterday, but it will grow. I feel like a schoolgirl at the moment!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

Oh Heather!

I will think of your baby Kate all day today. <3 (((Hugs)))

Karen in Virginia

• bananasandoranges
    edited May 2019
    Options
    hi everyone,

Connie, and others, that is so interesting that the legalisation has more impact maybe on older generations than on younger ones.

I have to say that when I was young the illegal aspect had a certain appeal.
    smoking, smoking marijuana or alcohol. for example I drank before I was of age (I think it was 20 back then where I was) and pretty much almost totally stopped drinking when I was 20ish as It made me feel quite off.
    also stopped cigarettes at 20, but smoked secretly when I young teen and then older teen. (had to hide it outside school I think.

I would kind of be curious to retry something legally that was so very illegal way back when. that must be somewhat how people who grew up during prohibitionist period might have felt to some degree at first.

I bet the quality can really vary. the idea of buying something from what comes from organised crime at some point seems really scary at present. I mean they could have thrown in a little MJ for the smell, some tobacco and something else for effect. who could say?

alcohol must have felt different in the 30s. my dad born in '27 never liked alcohol at all. he ended up faking drinking at work-walking around with half-empty glass so as not to be mocked for not drinking in the 60s or so.

I'm feeling super stressed about thesis and then some union stuff this morning. The direction managed to change the minutes of a meeting and get two important things omitted from the meeting. They are tricky as they spend time talking about meaningless things and then slip in their intentions when people are tired, as if it's unimportant. they spent time talking about typography mistakes and then went for the kill. it just reminds me so much of current governments in much of the world today and I find it super-disheartening. it's much harder and longer to work on something when the minutes are accepted erroneously.

I need to put this out of my mind and deal with it Monday.

I was excluded and then invited to this work thing at another of my 3 work places. it's free work but also fun and we don't have that many occasions to meet and talk about various future things. I'm like adjunct pay and status with more steady contact, which is why our participation in different things is variable. also the subject I teach is not the main subject, nor one of the more recognised ones. also stressful long term.

but I don't want to be stressing when I'm there but want to be cool as a cucumber.
    I wrote to two people saying if they need extra help I'm available. I know they tend to lack people for this. (oral entrance exams).and one wrote to me yesterday to ask me if I could still come for half a day.

I really need to get to writing.and to get some exercise.

friendly-ish meeting at 6pm. the organiser, who I'm friendly with but is a teacher in the school where I'm a student, says its just informal, with no special goal, but I'm pretty sure she has something in mind. I think I'll aim to skip wine this evening since I felt too tipsy with just one class last night. also I read (again I guess I had forgotten) that according to latest studies even 2 or 3 glasses are statistically too much for women and increase risk of this or that disease by 12%. bummer that news came out just when I'm able to drink without getting sick.

have a good day all!
  • bananasandoranges
    edited May 2019
    Options
    contract not contact
    and glass not class..
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,975 Member
    Options
    :)Rori, wow, that boot is really something...no wonder you're having trouble sleeping...it would be tough even for a back sleeper like me.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,414 Member
    Options
    Bananas and oranges - where are you living now? I think you posted it once but I've lost track - overseas? Glad you've found us!

Rebecca
    - so sorry to hear you've joined the "trip" club. Were you able to ice and elevate it? Sure hope it's doing better today. Happy Birthday to your grand-daughter being born today. You'll have a good visit once things calm down and you are feeling better.... all hitting at once for you! ((((HUGS)))) <3

Rori - how did you get your foot injuries again? Hope the time in the boot goes quickly and you are able to get some good sleep in. Hooray for grocery delivery!!

Tracey - so sad to hear about Linda but joyous in that you had her in your life when you needed each other. I've been fortunate to have had wonderful ladies enter my life just at the right time, but nothing as long-lasting as your relationship with Linda. I too look at this group as my "tribe". We are all unique but have so many great things to share. How did I get so lucky as to stumble into the midst of you all? <3

Sharon - could I get you to share the name of the CBD oil you are using? Did you purchase it at a dispensary? I'm looking for something DH could use. PM me if you wish - thanks. Always enjoy your posts by the way - there are so many of you I wish I could meet for coffee! We are a fun bunch!

My girlfriends and I have started practicing some Tai Chi we found on YouTube done by David-Dorian Ross. Very simple, from 10-15 minutes long, some standing and some seated. Lots of "breathing" practice, and the seated ones are outstanding....slow and gentle. For the time being this is just what I was looking for. Did a standing one for the first time this morning and I really need work on my balance.

Keep cool ladies!

Lanette
    Sunny and warm SW WA State B)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,681 Member
    Options
    rode from the gym to work for the 1st time this year. i would have ridden yesterday morning too but i had to drive to work because of a doc appointment. it was a nice easy ride, the weather was awesome this morning. nice leaving pitch dark and by the time you get to where you're going, the sun is out., i love the transition.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Karen: I hope the auto body place does a great job restoring the Subaru. :heart:

Rebecca: It would be lovely if you could be there when your grandbaby is born, but I suspect you’ll have a much better visit after mom and baby are home and have a chance to bond and get settled. I hope your DDIL’s mom is close by their home so she can lend support, too. When my son’s son was born, the other grandmother was on hand for her daughter. It was just right for their family. We went to visit a few weeks later and had a great time. :heart:

Bananas&oranges: I asked DH about MS and MJ. Sometimes marijuana is a positive help to manage physical symptoms and other times it isn’t helpful at all. If he is in a positive state of mind it is helpful, but if he is not in a positive state of mind it can cause brain fog. :flowerforyou:

Heather: So sorry for your loss of baby Kate 41 years ago. I am happy for you that you now have wonderful grandchildren, including two girls. :heart:

Lisa: I love he photos, especially the one of you and your kids with Corey in front. :bigsmile:

Dana in Arkansas: Thanks for checking in! You have been missed. :flowerforyou:

Yoga today—I hope. Yesterday the teacher didn’t come because of a family emergency. I hope that today’s class will happen.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,681 Member
    Options
    Ooo
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Overcast and Rainy in Georgia...Carol
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,515 Member
    Options
    Katla hope the pyrethrin "unsnugged" the bugs from your rugs.
    Ugly vengeful mean response
    In my view of Karma, that poisoner would be brought back as every cat he ever killed, with full knowledge of who had done it to him. So be it.
    Allie love your patio, the zen like retreat you deserve!
    Machka "metal fillings...refrigerator magnets" a real tea-snorter!
    Beth, Karen in VA, Katla, Lanette et all thanks for the CBD recommendations. Will check our local stores and cost/mg compare the organic ones.
    Barbie how you feel about pets really resonated, and helps me to understand/justify my willingness to spend $$$$ on veterinary care as I am not a shopper, we don't travel any more and have had all our furniture (except the bed) for at least as long as we've been married (30+ years). As for the bed, it replaced one we inherited from Mama, when they took the mattress away we saw the price tag... $39.95!!!
    Tracey "sorry I'm late..." Joe could say the same about me... ;)

Only thr pg 20 but time to get a move on.

Later and lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    walk one more step 9/31, 60 g protein 8/31, rx/vits 8/31, meditate 1/31, knee exercises 2/31, SWSY 0/9, play with Tumble 8/31, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 7/31.
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD! Word for May "pause" Thank you Barbie!