WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2019

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :)Annie, Yes, it's a challenge to manage eating when someone else cooks. Recently my husband decided he wanted to cook and I'm challenged at finding the balance between eating the foods that are right for me and being a good support to him in his new hobby. He has to restrict sodium so for him, any food with little or no sodium is a great food. He bought a bread maker and a book about low sodium bread making. It has been difficult explaining to him that low sodium and low calorie are not the same thing.

<3Amber, it will be a no sleep night here, as well. Our dog, Bessie, can hear even quiet pops outside and is terrified.

<3 Barbie in pleasantly cool NW WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    Oh Nooo it’s fireworks day!!! JRs terrifies even in the house of the pops!!! No sleep tonight for this household! He’s like a GreatDane scattering on the kitchen floor looking for a place to hide!

ditto
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Annie Delaware- years ago was a single mom stuck with my parents even tho I had a home wasn’t safe to live in it alone with little girl (others had left home for college). Was hard so had food in a dresser for us separate from my parents area (tuna packets mainly y goldfish crackers to vegan foods for Daughter) y we found low calorie restaurants that were cheap bought tacos 🌮 to vegan foods. Rest of the time refused to let anyone make our plates I made them (parents didn’t understand what a pescatarian is (Daughter is a Pescatarian since birth)) if I made our plate I controlled portions y content. I talked with my parents about healthier options they weren’t going to 180* mom had schizophrenia y retardation so had to be kid friendly like options for her but healthy.Dad diabetic so that limited changes too. Did convince them to get lettuce 🥬 y tomatoes 🍅 y cucumbers 🥒 so made 🥗 salads a lot with my tuna packet. They got A few other items not many but anything helped.

Now my adult daughter (raised herd of kids but this is my Biological kid here from the Navy visiting) were eating out a lot with my Dad learned if you eat half take the rest home I’m still in my calories range.

Amber Tx
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    Lanette
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    Lanette- staying on keto for the rest of your life would be a great way to eat. I tried to eat that way most of the time now that I am on maintenance. I love the food! I am just not strict now that I am at maintenance. I am actually still losing fat. Doing recomposition I am trying to build muscle. But the keto food diet is great for your body and especially your brain. I also do the 19:5 fasting and That really helps with calorie control. Now I eat more of my exercise calories back.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Regarding being like parents ...

I'm not really like either of my parents. If I take after anyone, it's my father's mother (my grandmother) and that's OK, she was a very strong, determined woman.

However, in the last few months, I've been hearing my mother's voice emerging from my mouth. She was a nurse, so I'll be with my husband in a medical appointment, and all of a sudden hear my mother say something ... but it's me speaking! :astonished: It is a little bit disconcerting, but I guess some of her nursing must have rubbed off on me.

Once recently I heard my father's voice emerge from my mouth ... he tends to be the one making cracking jokes and right at the beginning of one of my husband's tests, I just couldn't help myself. Well, the technician laughed. :grin:

M in Oz
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    July Goals
    evening check in

Health
    1. Write what I'm grateful for here daily ✔️
    2. At least 30 min exercise 6 days a week iffy for today
    3.Track all ✔️
    4. Five minutes meditation 5 days a week no
    5. Average 1100 calories net so far
    6. Lose 1-2 kilos not yet
    7. Take measurements every 2 weeks (?) not yet
    8. Go to free coaching session not yet
    9. Try one class per week at gym (I had signed up-annual sign up- for the 7 euros a month extra for classes and havent gone since the "zen" stretching classes weren't great.) Try different classes. not yet
    10. Use city bike 1x a week (I also signed up many months ago at about 3-4 euros per month, there was no bike free the first time I wanted to use it and I had completely forgotten about it, it's not in my habits). not yet
    11. eat fresh leafy greens 4 days a week ✔️
    12. try skipping breakfast no
    13. less than 50 carbs no

Long term writing
    14. Spend at least 2h/day on long term writing project average ✔️
    15. Produce at least 3 rough pages per day average partly so far

Home
    14. Average at least 15 min/day of cleaning not yet

Paper
    15. Make a list of short term tasks, etc and prioritise them, and do them not yet
    16. Take care of at least 2 short term (1 pagish) writing or administrative task/bill per week not yet
    17. Taxes not yet
    18. 1 h per week filing not yet

Art
    19. 1 hour on art project (other than sketching) per week not yet

Work
    20. do one work-related thing per week other than the above, to progress (I have to network and take initiative etc, in my job and I haven't been doing so much since focusing on thesis ) not specifically

Remaining from May to do in July : Make appointment with dentist 1 yes, dentist 2 no and acupuncturist yes, no, and

grateful :
    nice meeting with M.
    meditation afternoon planned Saturday going with B.
    got two appointments made
    relaxing work day outside of home
    osteopath
    cafés
    fish
    vegetables
    iced coffee
    tea
    mild summery weather

(no indépendance day here! Bastil day in 10 days, but I like to lay low. it's very noisy and boisterous evenings with firecrackers in some places)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    Oo
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @megblair1 thank you. today has been better so far. my emotions seem to be very up and down of late. I can relate about the medication. I don't take much but when I'm supposed to I don't always remember it. I don't have anything super-serious at present so it's not too bad. how was the massage? I went to osteopath which has some similarities. he's a bit half massage and half-counselling. I tell him what's up in my life and body (tired, stressed, distracted, etc) and then he works on body. it usually is overall good. I go at variable intervals. I used to go 1x a month when I had tough emotional stuff and also orthodontic work going on. since money has been tight and I've been less stressed I cut back to a few times a year, irregularly. (maybe 3-5 times a year?) kind of you to have posted to everyone.

@fanncy0626 I don't know anything about Keto. increasing over 25 carbs over what ? over 50g? I never heard of strips. I was just reading about Keto on mayo clinic site. it seems to have mixed reviews : like it works for some and not so much for others. I guess it's worth trying. so far not there.

@b4leaving the altar is attractive and big

@JRsLateInLifeMom I'm not big on fireworks either! they are pretty far from my home though, so I'm ok (and in 10 days)

@Machka9 cracking jokes sounds fun

@pipcd34 nice posting of letters!

Happy 4th of July to those concerned! or peaceful one to those uneasy with the sound!

Here on Bastille day (July 14th) a few places are jam packed with firecrackers( illegal) being thrown often and people occasionally getting one in the ear or something. I'm not mad about fireworks and they are supposed to be quite bad for the environment too, (birds, air) if I'm not mistaken. I used to try to get enthused like most other people seemed to be when I was young but I never could really. but I remember once when camping seeing a nice one to great musical background. I think the music made it much more than the fireworks really. but like anything visual or auditive it can be beautifully done.

On Bastille day many many forestation have forestation balls, with dancing from early evening till late in the evening all invited. in the countryside it can be cute and quaint (though a bit folksy for some tastes). In the city it can be ok the first few hours but then tends to get packed and rowdy by 9:30. being small, being in a crowd is not that great. (seeing other people's backs and arms in front of my face).

I have occasionally been to picnic in front of Eiffel Tower. you have to arrive at noon to get a place for 11pm fireworks, and again I feel like there's this pressure to be celebratory. I enjoy more lowkey events like a little meal or moment with one or a few friends or family.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    I just checked out groups as some people mentioned them. there are MANY! some active, some very little active, some active, many over 50 (many Keto, etc) but many not very active or inactive. some public, some private. it seems complicated!
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    I have been having about 150 carbs average per day over past months. trying to bring it down. wow! not easy. one treat and boom! well I'm trying new stuff since the system that worked for past years (decades) just isn't working anymore.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,826 Member
    Options
    Missed a day. Have to catch up!
    Happy Fourth of July!

RV Rita finished pg. 8
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Southern California quake 6.4!

Grandbabies & stepdaughter 150 miles further west, nearer the coast: "We're fine! We're at a parade!"

B)

Karen in Virginia