WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2019

Options

Replies

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I haven't had breakfast yet at 11:15 now, and I went to the gym and tried whatever class was happening there:

it was an "abdominals, buttocks" class. do they have that there? it was really hard. I don't know if the teacher is really very good, but it was nice to change. then I did 15 minutes of elliptical fast. I go faster when I don't have my earphones to watch Tv, I think.

my home is a mess and I have a ton of work to do of all sorts.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    skuehn48 wrote: »
    Happy 4th for those celebrate!! We are having a quiet day here, DD and I. All of our critters are OK with the noise and DS's dog that we are sitting is very old and mostly deaf so I think we will be good tonight. Have not been on here posting for the last couple of months because DH went on hospice in early May. He passed shortly after on May 9. We had his celebration of life service on June 22 so had family and friends from out of town here. Still dealing with paperwork but I think making progress. I gained some weight after his diagnosis in October with terminal liver cancer and during the treatment and his death. Now it seems to be headed down again. I felt like I spent a tremendous amount of time sitting in doctor's offices and rarely made it to the YM. DS, DD and DGD were all able to be here at the time of death so I think it was a good passing. Pastor also dropped in and stayed the day with us.

Everybody take care, Sue in WA

So sorry to hear about your husband. :heartbreak:

Machka in Oz

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,217 Member
    Options
    Normal day here today before DH has four days cricket commute to Hampshire. I can get a bit lonely, which drives me to the fridge, but I am meeting the family tomorrow evening to watch Max (aged 8) doing his breakdance class exhibition at The Dome. DH will be on his way home, so I will go on my own. Max has been going to classes for over a year.

Must do my writing and stop putting it off. Grrrrrrrrrr!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    happy birthday beth may it be a joyful and relaxing day <3

Lisa enjoy your vacation time, you deserve every moment of relaxation

NYKAREN
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    cmsavells wrote: »
    Machka - dry eye from menopause is beginning to become a problem for me too. I may have to give up my contact lenses because of it. I didn’t do so well in bifocals the last time I tried, but I think I’m going to have to try again.

Connie in KY

I've had to give up most makeup. I can wear a little bit once in a while for short periods of time but that's it.

It took me a long time, but I've finally been able to wear progressive lenses in both the desk/computer glasses style and the outdoors, regular wear style. Be sure to go to a good place, not the really cheap options.

M in Oz

Regarding makeup with dry eyes, I've read that if I apply mascara just to the tips of my eyelashes and use new cream eye shadows, I should have less of a negative reaction. And that seems to be true.

https://www.healthline.com/health/dry-eye/eye-makeup-and-dry-eyes#4

This also means that I need to go through my make up and toss most of it. I discovered that I've got it all in one place, so that's a start. By the time I'm done, I'll be down to a mascara, a bronze cream eye shadow, foundation, and a tinted lip moisturiser!

Machka in Oz

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Makeup: My eyes have always been my best feature...now, I have gotten to the point that I cannot see to apply eye liner and my eye lashes are stubs. So, no eye makeup for me. I do wear foundation and lip stick. Sometimes a bit of color on my cheeks.

Kelly ~ Sound like you had a great 4th and happy to hear you will have a light day.

Allie ~ Sorry you brother was so self-centered that he took no account of you and Rob being there. I know how much you love the beach and hope you can go again when he is not there.

Amber ~ Your daughter's diet is very strange. Can't even imagine eating a raw fish (I won't even try Sushi).

Lisa ~ Enjoy your time off!

Barbie ~ I had to look up how to make baked onion rings. Sounds yummy!

We had a very quiet 4th of July. We had planned to go eat at our favorite Mexican restaurant but found out it was closed. Came home and had left overs. Cooked baked cod for dinner and I couldn't eat it...it had turned to mush and the shrimp I added were overcooked. I did try making chicken flavored rice-a-roni in the instant pot and it turned out well.

Carol in Ga
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,554 Member
    Options
    P
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,554 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    skuehn48 wrote: »
    Happy 4th for those celebrate!! We are having a quiet day here, DD and I. All of our critters are OK with the noise and DS's dog that we are sitting is very old and mostly deaf so I think we will be good tonight. Have not been on here posting for the last couple of months because DH went on hospice in early May. He passed shortly after on May 9. We had his celebration of life service on June 22 so had family and friends from out of town here. Still dealing with paperwork but I think making progress. I gained some weight after his diagnosis in October with terminal liver cancer and during the treatment and his death. Now it seems to be headed down again. I felt like I spent a tremendous amount of time sitting in doctor's offices and rarely made it to the YM. DS, DD and DGD were all able to be here at the time of death so I think it was a good passing. Pastor also dropped in and stayed the day with us.

Everybody take care, Sue in WA

So sorry to hear about your husband. :heartbreak:

Machka in Oz

Geez I’m so sorry I missed this... my heart is with you
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,925 Member
    Options
    :)<3 Bessie had a rough night because of the fireworks. Fortunately it was only for a few hours and then we were both able to go back to sleep. The popping sounds began about 9:30 and she couldn't find a place to hide from the noise. I finally got her in bed with me and she lay down on my pillows. Then I remembered that music had calmed her in the car on the way to the groomer so since my phone was on the nightstand, first I played a podcast with a woman with a soothing voice, then my Peter, Paul, and Mary playlist. She got comfortable and we both finally went back to sleep. When we went out at 12:30 for the regular middle of the night walk, it was quiet and we were able to go back to sleep in our regular spots and sleep til our usual morning wake up time.

:) It started drizzling as I walked the dogs before breakfast.
    kJ- my monster threw a hyperactive child away.
    My son had issues as an infant and a neurologist assistant suggested I consider “alternative living arrangements “for him.She said he was dead and blind and would never be a contributing member of society.He is a wonderful young man with a heart bigger than anyone can imagine.
    Debby In Va

<3 Bravo to you. Loving unconditionally brings great rewards.

<3 Barbie from NW WA

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Banana&oranges- Yes your nefew sounds like my kids! We have Costco sometime but always Sams club membership to get organic vegetables. Living in the Big City now theirs no farmers market with kids running around giggling so we drive an hour away to private farms in the hill country that believe in no pesticides still for goat milk cheese spreads with Roma tomatoes yum 😋 to organic veggies.We have pecan y orange,Chinese plum,sour orange trees in the yard so we decide pesticides or not! Visits to Mexico my mother-in-law brings us stuff from the Beach Amish no pesticide very Old fashion German made...she brings stuff from families farms. Yes the raw fish is gross but she taught me to like sushi 🍣 I’ll never eat raw like her.My boys 3of them were the 3stooges (Moe the thinker I got an idea 💡,Larry I know a guy who knows a guy ,y Curly over sensitive will light the fuse if told) they all love raw eggs yuck!! 🤢 They also would fight you walk in they were magically well behaved until you walked back out. They kept me on my toes lol.

Carol GA- took me awhile not to vomit or almost while watching her do it. She got me to like a few types of sushi 🍣 discovered my Aunts Spring rolls Filipino had uncooked shrimp 🦐 y 🦀 crab meat I never knew so ate sushi hidden by another food ninja! She pulled one over on me lol.

N2BNMom - Yes got you on the hard with vegetarian/vegans but theirs tricks I cook some separate from other things. Pescatarian y me Today is shrimp 🦐 boil lemon juice pepper y garlic powder mixed with corn 🌽 on the cob ,flounder blackened pepper ,y tomatoes maybe for me a bite of steak with it leftovers. Hubby egg whites 🥚. 2yr old lacrosse ovarian vegetarian (won’t eat meat or fruits) thinking cheese pizza . Finding ways But day to day up in the air since I occasionally get mom in-laws (God rest Ones soul) over the decades to sick parents who’s diets are medically directional. I find I can cook 👩‍🍳 in Sectional Pans! Steamer going over there air fryer over here y frying pan on the stove. I cook enough to reheat next meal so dishes once! Daughter home from the Navy y was a teen before shipping out while dieting.2yr olds picky! Hubby can’t have a lot of foods medically so that’s a cog in the wheel plus on a separate diet plan . Picture a vegan diet when medical issues arise then when well chicken boiled only y eggs 🥚. Trick for me is definitely cooking separately with some joint items like salad 🥗 no meats or dressing.Lets face it if theirs something you can cook for 2 at once then other stuff for everyone else . I use small pans. All diets is finding what works for you.Im looking into how to precook y freeze 🥶 measured out meals for myself to cut down on cooking so cook once a week or twice for myself put it in the freezer. Make one dish add meat on yours tofu on another pizza on another lol etc etc especially when others show up. So picture my giant squash ,corn,y refried beans cooked in one skillet the on the plates add separate proteins or foods to go with the main stuff nothing of course no squash or corn for baby he only wants the beans. Here’s some of my Go 2 Sites I’ve also raised kids from broken homes that were handfuls who had already established diets not matching ours so got good at PotLuck Spreads lol. Taco nights with vegan meat alternatives (chicken flavored or beef),hamburger,fish,chicken shredded to add to the regular taco fixings if he hates Meat substitutes try EggPlant 🍆 steaks. May have to pull hubby y your diets close as possible kids separate. Just do your best it’s all us Moms got. Let’s face it we take backseat a lot in life don’t ask when my last bath was I woke up covered in mash potatoes didn’t realize I slept like that last night!

https://www.easycheesyvegetarian.com/vegetarians-and-meat-eaters/

https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/vegan/healthy-vegan-recipes-under-350-calories/

https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/vegan-recipes-for-weight-loss/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/300-calorie-vegan-recipes?amp=true

https://www.vegannie.com/entrees/50-amazing-vegan-meals-for-weight-loss/ gluten-free ideas

https://mayihavethatrecipe.com/7-vegan-dinner-recipes-under-300-calories/

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/what-1500-calories-looks-like-on-a-vegan-diet/

We survived the Fire works JR hid behind his Pooh Bear 🐻 while I held him we only had a few hours here y there if no sleep got to go through folks popping off left overs until they run out.Holding on! Lol to Pooh Bear 🐻. So far not gaining weight keeping my calories low with restaurants to home eating for Daughter visit. She likes the 0 calories salad dressing we changed too! Didn’t tell her until after she ate it lol 😂 gotta be sneaky in this family with meals.

Loss of Husband-Sorry for your Loss also

Amber Tx

Machiavelli Oz- My tee drops sting what brand are you prescribed? Over counter?
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,056 Member
    Options
    Sue sorry to hear about your husband.

M I read a similar article because I am becoming more far sighted. I sit be a window and make it a goal to take off reading glassed and look away at our garden and blink. When you are on the computer you blink less. I also set my computer on the nighttime setting all the time. I get outside in the morning so I get plenty of natural light. I do not know if this is true for smart phones or not. I rarely use mine.

Another exercise the had for far sighted eyes is to look at a far object like a painting/calendar focus on the object and then sway. There was a young man in the hospital whose eyes wiggled back and forth uncontrollably. I would see him doing this exercise. I did see improvement in his eyes and told him so and to keep it up.

Son got to come home on yesterday. He was very happy to be home. We tried to go up to watch fireworks up at the school up the block. For the past few years they lit off more fireworks than you see at an organized event. Fortunately or unfortunately the police came just when they were going to start. There were a few spectacular displays but not like in previous years. The fortunate part is they are not professionals yet they are lighting off big time fireworks. We did see two of the carting a big box of them and one of the men was smoking a cigarette at the time. It did give me pause. There were also a number of small children about. The up side no one was hurt. Down not quite the show as in previous years.

:heart: Margaret

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,708 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    I am.finally awake.. Alfie slept all night to he was worn out...
    Sean did tell Jean I left and she asked why and I told her have Sean tell you.
    Even though I love my brother he knows he did wrong.he said he was lonely . Anywho as my dad used to say..I slept until 9:30 and I'll get on with my day..
    Sue- I am so very sorry to hear of your husband's passing .my thoughts and prayers are with you at this time..xoxox
    For the day and a 1/2 I had there it was lovely and sorta.. the beach I'd my happy placd.. I bought a little sign that says that lol
    I got over 13,000 steps yesteday whooo hoooo
  • Machka9
    Options
    One of the types of eye drops I use is Systane Ultra.

https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/buy/59023/systane-ultra-lubricant-eye-drops-10ml

Machka in Oz