• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,712 Member
    Options
    Tyy
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies
    I'm chillin..ate under today was not feeling it. Brought Alfie to visit the residents down at FIL nursing home.and they just loved him...he is sooo good with everyone.
    Came.and dropped him off and went down to fees him lunch which he ate.a big no for dinner..Sean called and apologized for everything and in retrospect I'm glad I came home Sean and his wife have alot to talk about and it is good that they are alone up there to do so..
    I did laundry and took a nap.so that was my day
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Did a spinning workout today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a More Than Mat Pilates DVD.

Welcome everyone new! Come back often

Debbie VA – I’m so sorry about your brother

Margaret – so glad your son is home, and I’m sure you’re glad too

Was looking at the lawn (weeds). They really need to be cut. I’m sure Vince is waiting so that he can do it.

Suebdew – sounds like a lovely birthday

Rori – so sorry you have to stay in those shoes, but it’ll be worth it in the end

Friends of mine are coming here tomorrow. I seriously haven’t seen them in almost 50 years. We went to elementary and then high school together. I made a lasagna since the weather sounds “iffy” and a key lime pie.

Michele in NC
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    DrKatiebug - Ditto from me Keto gave me headaches but working for 2of my cousins. Not sure what my diet is called just eating healthier making lower calorie y higher daily vitamin changes. I eat same time as I always have.Brunch,Dinner,y a bed time light food. If it matches intermittent it’s not on purpose or might not even be close to it lol. Actually watching calorie intake first time in my life. Breastfed 3weeks 🤱 whammy my weight went up not down lol. Excersice got cleared for it finally so walking y light stuff. (2yrs 3months to heal enough for a medical go light).Got what works for me which is a little of it all lol. Cut down on carbs but still eating them.

Kewtlady- menopause with a 2yr old (2nd time around with menopause was post menopause when I got pregnant 🤰 so restart button) yes tiredness is the worst part of it. Like when your in your period you get so tired you just want to go to bed 24/7!
    Try preparing food on a free moment freezing it for the week heat that premade goodness all week long or when you get off work! Don’t eat the snacks If they pile up he’ll get the Hint stop 🛑 buying them. Your not lazy being on your feet all day at a job theirs nothing left mentally after all the chaos perfectly normal. I used to take slow walk with my daughter on my days off only we went around 1-2xs in a park that was a long drive but beautiful scenery let her talk away. Found it relaxing that way. Joined a gym back then to use the pool y hot tub after hard work days to unwind. Now just walking around the house in the air conditioner to cut out heat exhaustion y hot flashes 🥵. Write every shopping week a list of low calorie snacks from baked chips to 50cal ice creams y veggies 🌽 keep handing it to him don’t eat the junk food let it pile up he’ll finally realize he’s spending money on stuff no one wants (man slow on the uptake thing I have all male cousins mainly they take awhile to catch on to our hints we really do think differently). Having a multi preprinted list you keep handing him he’ll finally come back with something on the list to test the waters lol.

Amber Tx
  • cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    One of the types of eye drops I use is Systane Ultra.

https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/buy/59023/systane-ultra-lubricant-eye-drops-10ml

Machka in Oz

That’s what my aunt’s ophthalmologist recommend she use. It works well. I’ve used it too.

Connie in KY
  • cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    @Vickil57 way to go, donating blood!! I get to teach blood banking theory and technique in fall semester. Blood products are in critical short supply over the summer. Only 5% of all eligible donors ever donate. I totally understand for anybody who cannot donate, but kudos to all of you who do.

Heat index was over 100 today. They said it was our 10th straight day over 90; the worst it has been since 2012. I drove my car to the repair shop to get new brakes and walked home. It’s only 1.5 miles, but it might as well have been 5 miles. After supper and after the sun started setting, I mowed my mom’s yard. The shower when I got home felt so good!!

Does anybody know how to add “mowing grass with a push mower” to MFP?? Amazingly it is not listed as exercise! I counted it as a long walk based on my pedometer.

Connie in KY
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Rori, the smoothies vary depending on what I have on hand, but here is a rough recipe.

1 cup of liquid, usually coconut milk, but maybe almond milk or water
    Greens: 2 cups. My favorite is organic power greens but could use spinach or other baby greens.
    Fruit: 1 cup fresh or frozen - usually berries, but could be peach, mango, apple
    Protein: 1 scoop of plant based protein powder, either vanilla or chocolate or 1/2 cup plain, full fat Greek yogurt
    Fiber: 1 tbsp chia or flax seed (I prefer chia)
    Sweetener: 1/2 banana - could use honey or maple syrup or stevia or leave this out entirely if there is sweetener in the protein powder. I usually alternate between banana and avocado to get a creamy texture without the double calories.
    If I have it, I’ll add 1/2 an avocado for some healthy fat and a really creamy texture. It’s 120 calories, though!
    Ice cubes, more or less depending on whether fruit is frozen

If I’m going totally green, I like avocado, cucumber, lemon and apple together with the greens, with a water base.

Another good combination is chocolate, banana, and nut butter (either the real thing or powdered). Don’t forget the greens.

Some days it is more elaborate than others. They can get pretty high calorie, but I’ve never topped 500 calories for one and it packs a ton of nutrition. It keeps me satisfied from one meal to the next, but like anything else it may not work for everyone.

I’ve been trying to use up some stuff I have on hand that I won’t buy again, so some days it is nothing but an Advocare meal replacement shake, a handful of greens, a handful of berries and some ice cubes. Those are made with whey protein, though, so I try to limit them to two or three times a week. I still have about a dozen I need to use up.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    For the new people, welcome!
    My eating plan is also CICO with an emphasis on protein, veg, fruit and complex carbs. You could call it the Mediterranean diet. (Not too many carbs, healthy oils, fruit and veg) I do have an occasional treat (good ice cream, dark chocolate etc) if it fits into my calories. I generally avoid cakes, cookies, chips and most of my food is made from scratch. I know I drink too much alcohol for optimum health, but it's all logged.
    I lost 57 pounds doing it this way over 18 months and then have stayed at, or near, maintenance for five and a half years. BMI 24. I would like to lose a few pounds more since my recent inadvertent video viewing.
    As Barbie says, 'The best diet is the one you can stick to'. Whatever works for you. But, and it's a big but, it has to be a lifestyle, not a sprint, if you want to keep the weight off permanently. The sad truth is that 95% of 'diets' fail, in that the weight is regained when the person can no longer bear with the restrictions they have imposed on themselves.
    Enjoy your food and your way of eating.
    My revelation was the amount I can eat if I increase my CO. I gradually, over the years, increased my CO, until I now regularly do around 800 - 950 calories a day intentional exercise. I eat 1800 a day, more or less, which gives me plenty of wriggle room and lots to enjoy without feeling guilty. I can even have one candy as a last treat. If I go over that I have calories in hand.
    I crept up four pounds and I'm slowly losing that again. But I never feel deprived.
    I do sometimes feel that the amount of exercise I do is crazy for a woman of nearly 70, but it's definitely worth it. It has changed my life in many ways and given me the confidence to do many things I was scared of before, like publish my books.
    I agree with Barbie on another point, 'Strategy is stronger than willpower'. Smart people plan to avoid irresistible temptation.

My challenge for today is to avoid visiting the fridge while DH is at cricket! I also have to find a solution to having my normal dinner time and place disrupted by going to Max's dance exhibition. :sad: I think some hard boiled eggs are in the answer. :bigsmile:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Sue sending hugs to you, so sorry for your loss.

<3 Viv York UK

(Still catching up!)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Machka- Focus on the day. The meme sounds a bit more dramatic, to me anyway, than the reality of it. This is how I have gotten through most of my days. It may sound sad (I don't mean for it to sound that way), but I just do better if I make my "list for the day" and just focus on getting it done. IF I plan or make long term lists, life just feels too overwhelming.

It describes, very accurately, how things were for me from March 22, 2018 to .... probably sometime in August 2018. The first several months of my husband's injury.

Sometime in August, I could start thinking about tomorrow ... now, I can usually plan a week, maybe two.

My parents would like us to come to Canada for a visit ... I'd love to be able to say, "We'll be there in November, during a break from uni." But I doubt that will work and I have absolutely no idea when we might be able to visit Canada again.

I'm hoping I can finish my degree. I'm getting close, so it would be nice! But I'm not sure if that's going to be possible.

There are so many things I'm just not sure about.

But I've got my long list of things I need to get done or would like to get done, and each day I work at it a little.

Machka in Oz

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Machka and KJ and Heather: I'm still adjusting my time perspective to living in what is meant to be our best and final home. I do fine, and in fact, do better if I have a six-month list of work deadlines... but as far as lists for home... I've moved for the last 42 years of my life! I don't even know how to think a year ahead in terms of home projects. And my husband and I have pretty well decided that outside projects are a no-go for the summer. It's too much to ask him to work out in this heat all week long, then work outside in the heat all weekend. The home renovations can start again in the fall.

SueBDew- Well done on your hubby for the terrific surprise!

Kewtlady - I struggle when my environment is full of snacks, as well, and being able to control that environment really helps--getting my husband to understand that snacks had to be ones I don't like much if at all was the first step. Convenience, unfortunately, is not our friend when it comes to keeping calories under control.

I tried melatonin last night again, first time in a while. It definitely helped me go to sleep. The staying asleep part, I don't know about that--I was able to go back to sleep at 2 a.m. and 3 a.m., but gave up at 4 a.m. And I felt quite fuzzy when I woke... I write the alphabet with my toes before I get out of bed every morning, stretches all the tendons, strengthens my ankles, keeps things fluid... and I kept forgetting which letter came next! That's a little disturbing. Might try it one more night, we'll see how I feel throughout the day.

Another hot and steamy day on the way... won't be able to mow until the sun's up far enough to dry things out, as we had a short cloudburst come through last night that soaked everything down. One of our eventual aims is to have everything in the acre around the house planted out to the point that there is no grass to mow (speaking of long-term goals for home)... but can't see it happening any time soon. So... we mow.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    July Goals
    morning

Health
    1. Write what I'm grateful for here daily ✔️
    2. At least 30 min exercise 6 days a week✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️
    3.Track all ✔️
    4. Five minutes meditation 5 days a week one
    5. Average 1100 calories net so far ✔️
    6. Lose 1-2 kilos not yet
    7. Take measurements every 2 weeks (?) not yet
    8. Go to free coaching session not yet
    9. Try one class per week at gym (I had signed up-annual sign up- for the 7 euros a month extra for classes and havent gone since the "zen" stretching classes weren't great.) Try different classes. ✔️
    10. Use city bike 1x a week (I also signed up many months ago at about 3-4 euros per month, there was no bike free the first time I wanted to use it and I had completely forgotten about it, it's not in my habits). not yet
    11. eat fresh leafy greens 4 days a week two days
    12. try skipping breakfast ✔️✔️
    13. less than 50 carbs no so far

Long term writing
    14. Spend at least 2h/day on long term writing project average one day
    15. Produce at least 3 rough pages per day average no

Home
    14. Average at least 15 min/day of cleaning ✔️

Paper
    15. Make a list of short term tasks, etc and prioritise them, and do them not yet
    16. Take care of at least 2 short term (1 pagish) writing or administrative task/bill per week not yet
    17. Taxes not yet
    18. 1 h per week filing not yet

Art
    19. 1 hour on art project (other than sketching) per week not yet

Work
    20. do one work-related thing per week other than the above, to progress (I have to network and take initiative etc, in my job and I haven't been doing so much since focusing on thesis ) not specifically

Remaining from May to do in July : Make appointment with dentist 1 yes, dentist 2 no and acupuncturist yes,

Grateful:
    appointment glitch worked out for the best
    café
    newspaper
    friends and nice colleagues
    walking in morning
    summery weather
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I was supposed to go to the dentist this morning and then to meditation this afternoon. I called a colleague to ask for a little info, and he said he was going to "stop". in talking I understood, in no uncertain terms, he's talking about suicide. we are not close but sometimes confide in and other in certain professional things. he is planning, he says, to sell his furniture and give the money to his son. he's an adjunct teacher and is unable to make ends meet. he was waiting to see if he got a full time job this coming year. he didn't. he says he doesn't have it in him to not make enough to live on another year. I tried to encourage him to find other solutions. I had to call the dentist to cancel, since I was running very very late, and found the dentist thought he had already cancelled on his side, for technical reasons. I called back the friend but got no answer. I'll try again later. I don't want to be invasive.
    his furniture is in the country.

I called another colleague(who doesn't know him and without revealing who he is) to ask her thoughts. her uncle had committed suicide the previous year. she thought that encouraging him to get accompanying would be the thing to do, to see a psychiatrist (covered by health care here) or, if he finally is determined to be accompanied in his choice and tell those who are close to him. (he has an adult son). in Switzerland assisted suicide is now legal.

there are a lot of job things going around this time of year/ many people disappointed since they didn't get the very competitive jobs, nor get a promotion, after long years. sometimes it's based on inside antagonism. some people make sure that other people don't have an opportunity, so they can help other friends or as a way to get back at someone else.

it was most striking amongst very senior people in one school. one very senior guy is not very nice, and so eventually other senior people didn't vote for him and he was not on the board, despite his fame, so he got back at them by making sure they couldn't get promoted.

I'm far from that level, but things like that can happen on any level.

I find the world is becoming a tough place economically. when I was a teen, a young labourer could expect to be able to buy a house within a few years. now that seems impossible for many. to make ends meet, pay for food, shelter, transport, and basic necessities to live and work is no longer within reach for many.