WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2019

Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Beth Happy Birthday!

Sue So glad you are back posting with us, but so very sorry to hear that your husband died. (((Hugs)))

Karen in rainy Virginia
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Did Joyce Vidral’s Fat Burning Upper and Lower Body DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a spinning workout.

At ceramics last night a gal invited us to her house today so last night I made an orzo shrimp salad to take. Then I felt guilty because it cost so little that this morning I made a key lime pie to take with me.

A friend of mine from NJ who we went to grade school and high school came down to see another friend who just moved here. I haven’t seen either of these gals in almost 50 years. I’m supposed to give Rita a call later today. Update: she called me and we’re going to meet on Saturday

Viv UK – see, I’m just the complete opposite. The older I get, it seems the less I can tolerate the cold. Give me warmth. Just not humid.

Lanette – thanks for telling me about the TaiChi. I have a couple of TaiChi DVD’s, I’ll give them a try.

Annie in DE – we moved to NC from Kennett Square (PA). My daughter lives in Milford

I’m going to try also tracking at Cronometer. CSPI rated them and Nutritionix quite highly. One of the things logging at MFP that bothers me is that there are so many duplications. Also, that some items are in the database as having “0” calories. That can’t be. I’ll just give these a try, who knows? I might very well be coming back logging here. But I won’t be leaving this group of such fantastic women.

Well, we went to the friend’s house. I wasn’t good at all about the desserts. Felt I had to try everything people made. Actually, I really wasn’t impressed with anything. Well, the beer cake wasn’t bad. Actually, it was the best of everything. Someone did bring fresh fruit. Wish it had been out earlier. But did have ½ a chicken breast. Some tomato, some of the shrimp orzo salad I brought and a corn on the cob. I probably should have passed on that. I never in my life associated this guy that I know as being her father! It’s not like they have a common last name, either. I just never associated it

Amber – how does someone be a pescatarian from birth? I would think it would be something that was introduced to a person when they were a baby.

Sue in WA – I’m very sorry for you on your loss

Lori – welcome. You’ll get lots of support here

Beth – happy birthday

Michele in NC
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Beth!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Sue - I’m so sorry to hear about your husband. Hugs!

Okie
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,891 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Beth. You're a real Yankee Doodle girl.

Thanks to all for your condolences.

Take care, Sue in WA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I just checked out groups as some people mentioned them. there are MANY! some active, some very little active, some active, many over 50 (many Keto, etc) but many not very active or inactive. some public, some private. it seems complicated!

I'm in 5 groups, and I look in on them about once a month or so.

3 are cycling groups.
    2 are older women groups.

You've got to go with an area of interest which will narrow things down. For me it's cycling. And then I went with fairly active, current choices. I'm noticing that one of my 3 cycling groups has become fairly inactive so I might drop it.

Groups are just a place to chat about your specific interest with like-minded people outside of the main forums.

And, since anyone can create a group, for a while there just about every day someone was coming into this Motivation & Support forum with "I've created a group for ___ join me!" I don't see so much of that anymore. That would likely be why there's so many.

Machka in Oz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :'(<3Sue, so sorry about your husband. I'm glad to see you posting with us again.

:)Beth, Happy Birthday

:)Lanette, fireworks aren't allowed in our neighborhood or the nearby town, but we are surrounded by a lot of open area and homes on large plots. I started hearing firework sounds about 10 AM. Bessie has been OK so far with us awake and sounds of our voices and the TV. I don't know how she'll be when the house gets quiet

:)Allie, I wouldn't have lasted a day with your brother. Good plan to go home.

:)Lori, welcome. I hope you'll keep coming back. I didn't finally do well with losing weight until I found MFP and this great thread.

:)Michele, The only way I can deal with dessert is to eat none of it. Then I don't have to make any decisions. All my friends know that I don't eat dessert so they aren't offended if I don't try what they have made.

:) Jake found a recipe for no salt vegan baked onion rings. They were delicious. We had them with meatless patties and sliced tomato.

<3 Barbie from NW WA
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Michele NC- Everyone even her Dietician tried to get her to eat meat! No go wouldn’t she throws it up to turn her head refused to swallow. Seeing JR with the same meat aversions vomiting y gagging at smell to taste eating it never stays down their the only ones in the family like this. He won’t eat fish even tho I try a lot.The Dietician both times now assured me they would finally eat meat but so far JR won’t y my Daughter only eats raw or live fish/crustaceans y occasionally a few bites of rare steak. They both will eat eggs so I buy boatloads of that y cow milk products.
    I didn’t realized she loved live fish until a Sunday School teacher accused her of stealing fish as pets!!! I thought the teacher was nuts cause only the fish we owned they weren’t store bought at all. We went to a friends pet store a lot he never told me he caught her eating his stock!! Doctors office told me one of their fish was eating the others they were tired of replacing them. Then went to a beach 🏖 visited a real life fishing vessel 🚢 who gave her permission to come aboard they all ate a live fish in front of us for good luck they said. I almost puked 🤢. She said I eat fish all the time!!! I thought she was lying she never ate any fried fish I cooked! She grabbed a few raw fish she gulped them down like a seal!!! Realized she was eating everyone’s pet fish!!!! Sure my face was priceless! We had bass minnows in a tank at home I never counted them we also had a few other minnow breeds to stock my uncles fish pond.I raised them got them fat we released them...mean time my child had been eating them behind my back! After that sushi to steamed crustaceans 🦞 but she still even now eats raw ones yuck! Met a older 80 yr old Pescatarian when she was 4yrs old he told me to write her diet down cause he wanted to cook her a meal.He said oh she’s Pescatarian like me here I bought food to cook for her thinking she’d eat what other kids do! Told the Dietician about the raw fish immediately she laughed cause she said she’ll be fine just offer her fish steamed to sushi buffets. She’s still this way got her to eat a once a year few bites of rare steak with my Dad or me but that’s it. I’m a meat eater big time so I cook no one will eat it! JR has severe eczema to the point he developed Keratosis Pilaris the Dermatologist doesn’t think it’s linked to foods but I wonder. No fish tank in the house this time I’m offering him fish y sushi when I’m eating it to chicken y others meats if he refuses I don’t force. So far all he will eat is:
    1.Potatoes all kinds of them
    2.Beans y nuts especially peanut butter
    3.Tortillas,sour dough,Rye,Wheat breads
    4.Cheeses variety of kinds
    5. Cereal only healthy kinds (picky) w/Almond milk on it only from Daddy
    6. Almond milk 🥛 ,cows milk,other mills items made from any type of milks,but not by itself unless it’s on almond on cereal
    7. Chips (only potatoe y veggie cups or Cheetos
    8. Cookies 🍪- only 3types rest he refuses
    9. Chocolate dark y honey
    10. Brownies y blueberry muffins without the blueberries they get picked out.
    11. Occasionally but rare sour sugar free apple juice /Water lots
    12. Seasonings lots y vitamin D drops
    13. Certain types of crackers mainly wheat
    14. Pancakes 🥞 y peanut butter pancakes plain
    15. Margarine
    16. Eggs lots of 🥚 eggs looks like we bought the store up.
    17. Pizza 🍕 but pick everything but the cheese off. Papa Johns knows us by name sigh 😔
    18. Occasionally certain vegetables if cooked in a taco slathered in taco seasoning wrapped in a corn tortilla fed only by grandma 👵 lol.
    19. Chicken or hamburger overly boiled shredded to dust then cut into microscopic pieces hidden in refried beans with cheese! He can’t see it at all or else it’s rejected!
    20. He will taste foods but spits,gags, vomits,runs,yells noooooo,throws it,or cries. If he approves of it at least once ! That’s a victory if he eats it more then woohoo lists growing!!!
    I think it’s just my kids ,but the Doctor/ Dietician/Dermatologist all agrees y says it’s common in 2yr olds usually they grow out of it .But if they don’t theirs options.
    Not sure what JR will be but hoping going to kindergarten seeing other boys eating will influence his taste buds! He’s on a 1400-1600 calorie diet plus nutrients most be met.
    Today being a rare restaurant day he ate 3pizzas,cheese sandwich 🥪,mac y cheese,roll,cookie homemade so snuck healthy stuff in including carrots 🥕 ,chocolate chip cookie, teddy grams (fiber),pancake,cereal in almond milk, French fries, water, still going..... he of course stole off his sister’s plate which he regretted cauliflower lol 😂. Navy said she’s their healthiest cadet according to xrays to blood tests y cats scans. Their just feedingvher accordingly lots of sushi y 🥚 eggs.
    Amber Tx.

Happy Birthday 🎉
  • missezkbee
    missezkbee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Good evening all. I’m in my late fifties and starting Keto this weekend. Long story short is that it is now or never... I just have to get my health back. I need to lose about 90 pounds. It’s a bit overwhelming starting the Keto diet but after all the research and reading I’ve done, it sounds like exactly what I need.
    I read the posts in this thread and i really enjoyed it! Hope there is room for one more here.
    Happy 4th!
    Kay Bee
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Amber - I'm sure you're a master of hiding food in other food

Kay Bee - welcome

Michele in NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    So I took Alfie down to the beach and talked to some friends of mine down there.
    Corrine was sleeping off the methadone.. Rob and I had it because Sean was upstairs with the door closed i guess talking to her. So we both split..
    I texted him and told him that both Rob and I came up to spend time with you and all you have been doing is cow towing to a drug addict,told him to get his priorities straight, also told him that he and Jean to go to counseling and he needs to go back to his psychiatrist...
    And he can explain to Jean why I am not up there... I just got in the door and am way beyond exhausted..only took purse,Alfie and perishables out of the car will get the rest in the morning..
  • cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Sue - I’m so sorry for your loss. Prayers and thoughts for you and your family.

Lori in VT and Kay Bee - welcome to the group. I have found so much support here. I’ve only been here a couple of months, but the ladies here are wonderful.

Beth - Happy Birthday!!

It’s midnight and I still hear fireworks!

Connie in KY
  • cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Machka - dry eye from menopause is beginning to become a problem for me too. I may have to give up my contact lenses because of it. I didn’t do so well in bifocals the last time I tried, but I think I’m going to have to try again.

Connie in KY
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    edited July 2019
    Options
    hep5gb3cy4si.jpeg
    0l2m3tbd4y1s.jpeg
    Michele Nac -I am a master at hiding foods in foods lol 😂 . Gave my Daughter’s soy m&m to her little friends never told them they were healthier vegetarian ones they never caught on (junk food addicts).I made a lot of Filipino food recipes from my Great Aunt so perfect to hide small meat pieces! Lol my cookie recipes can hide it all (dash of nutmeg hides carrots 🥕) (Can sneak meat into chocolate based meat cookies!) (Spinach can be hidden in certain cookies too!) . Hide meat diced to microscopic proportions place in mash potatoes or mashed potatoes in a taco 🌮! Zucchini chocolate chip cookies ! Zucchini breads to any muffin can hide stuff! Soup 🍜 make egg drop add some veggies finely diced to it y can sneak in meat with the tofu! (For 4yrs she ate 2-4 chicken nuggets at McDonald’s y bite or two of meat in Chinese food thanks to peer pressure lol but didn’t last) . As an adult she can tell me why now tho says a normal portion of meat especially chicken y red meat causes her stomach to hurt y feel sick 🤒. Microscopic tap or less amount hidden every blue moon no problem .Eggs y fish no issues stomach wise. The Navy tested her y Doctors checked JR with full blood panel to measure nutrition levels etc their healthy meet every goal no iron issues to any others.Navy y JRs Dieticians put them on vitamin D that’s it. Found nothing causing it guess it’s like the kid who grew up in a family who loves pork they won’t touch it unless forced. Your bound to get that one who doesn’t fit the mold someday generations down the line. Watch my grandkids be meat eaters walking around like some King 🤴 with a turkey leg lol.
    Amber Tx

Here’s a few online ones I use

https://brooklynfarmgirl.com/zucchini-chocolate-chip-cookies/

https://www.saveur.com/sicilian-chocolate-meat-cookie-recipe/

Stuffed Bell Pepper
    Cheeses your favs,hamburger meat barely any just enough precooked drained,corn drained or precooked cob cut off
    Bake it for 30min-1hour until done ✅ 350*
    Can add cherry tomatoes 🍅 y bread crumbs or crouton crumbs on top after cooking.

Another fun story was the farmers market my Daughter went to the tomatoes 🍅 while I was talking to the farm folks getting some feed bags 25-50lb ones for our chickens 🐓 told you was desperate for eggs 🥚! Also some freash 🍯 honey.We all turned around she had eaten over 50 tomatoes!!! She didn’t get sick at all.I payed for our food they refused payment for the tomatoes 🍅 the guy who was watching her for me luckily owned them had found it funny. She was 2yrs old! Later that year attended a party 🎈 friend was watching her they said she was hiding! 2yr old who could hide like a pro! We finally found her with help of everyone there under a table with a bowl of freashly made pico de gallo gone in a bowl the size of a watermelon 🍉!!! Was for 500guests! She didn’t eat anything else of course yet again didn’t get sick. After she got older (15yrs old approx ) we were at a restaurant a master hider was hiding from grandma 👵! Little girl age 2 or 3 short like my girl was so size of a 1yr old was under a booth up in a crack so far back she was no longer visable. They had been searching police too for awhile.Took me 3-5minutes only because noise made it hard to hear her giggle 🤭. Lol restaurant wanted to pay for our food but nah I payed.Master of hiding is a skill luckily JR doesn’t have that he is the kid in the middle of the living room with a bucket on his head thinking no one will ever find him! Or in a corner eyes pressed against a wall thinks he’s hidden. Laying on the bed book over his eyes he’s hidden. Lol chihuahua Daughter versus Great Dane Son.
    4yrs old she got away from school teacher they found her on top of the gym she had climbed a rope was no longer visible up there on a beam! Luckily another teacher knew us told her to get down while I drove to the school. Not even the school could keep up with her lol she only sleeps from birth to now 4hours a night. I was exhausted!!! JR sleeps a lot praise God! I’m too old for sleepless years again.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options
    cmsavells wrote: »
    Machka - dry eye from menopause is beginning to become a problem for me too. I may have to give up my contact lenses because of it. I didn’t do so well in bifocals the last time I tried, but I think I’m going to have to try again.

Connie in KY

I've had to give up most makeup. I can wear a little bit once in a while for short periods of time but that's it.

It took me a long time, but I've finally been able to wear progressive lenses in both the desk/computer glasses style and the outdoors, regular wear style. Be sure to go to a good place, not the really cheap options.

M in Oz
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    edited July 2019
    Options
    M Oz -I had dry eyes even as a kid never been able to wear makeup when I tried was so hard to bounce back! I skip makeup figure if someone has a problem with my face they can apply more coats to their clown makeup turn around lol. I found that Chlorine pool is a no-no too! I can use salt water pools tho.
    Amber Tx

Lol Daughter just said the reason JRs easier is because I only have 1 kid to watch this time around lol bet she’s right. When she was little I had her plus 6 kids around the ages 6-10 yrs old to watch at once. Then later added 2 more lol. JRs just him I got help.
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    @barbiecat Barbie thanks for your feedback about groups. I was surprised to see they seem less stable and active than this thread.

@kevrit thank you, great to hear about Keto.

@lorigiannuzzi28 Lori, welcome!

@missezkbee Kay, welcome!

@JRsLateInLifeMom Amber, my nephew use to be ovo-lacto vegetarian like his dad, then from about 5 he would eat only clam bellies, when I last saw him, at age 18, it's only clam bellies and bacon. he's always been chock full of energy, so that doesn't seem to be a problem. Wow about the raw fish eating ! that's unusual! I agree that lots of young kids are heavy on starchy food and don't like lots of other foods. I was a terrible eater and my taste just completely opened up at around 12, after which I would eat like everyone else. my nephew (the clam eater) also freaked out sometimes (but not always when you tried to feed him a few chunks of cooked carrots at age 2. there are tricks about cooking veggies into chocolate cakes, and so on, that you probably know about. My BIL can only eat organic veggies and gets sick with non-organic.

@Sue, my condolences.
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    July Goals
    morning

Health
    1. Write what I'm grateful for here daily ✔️
    2. At least 30 min exercise 6 days a week✔️
    3.Track all ✔️
    4. Five minutes meditation 5 days a week no
    5. Average 1100 calories net so far
    6. Lose 1-2 kilos not yet
    7. Take measurements every 2 weeks (?) not yet
    8. Go to free coaching session not yet
    9. Try one class per week at gym (I had signed up-annual sign up- for the 7 euros a month extra for classes and havent gone since the "zen" stretching classes weren't great.) Try different classes. ✔️
    10. Use city bike 1x a week (I also signed up many months ago at about 3-4 euros per month, there was no bike free the first time I wanted to use it and I had completely forgotten about it, it's not in my habits). not yet
    11. eat fresh leafy greens 4 days a week
    12. try skipping breakfast ✔️
    13. less than 50 carbs no so far

Long term writing
    14. Spend at least 2h/day on long term writing project average
    15. Produce at least 3 rough pages per day average

Home
    14. Average at least 15 min/day of cleaning not yet

Paper
    15. Make a list of short term tasks, etc and prioritise them, and do them not yet
    16. Take care of at least 2 short term (1 pagish) writing or administrative task/bill per week not yet
    17. Taxes not yet
    18. 1 h per week filing not yet

Art
    19. 1 hour on art project (other than sketching) per week not yet

Work
    20. do one work-related thing per week other than the above, to progress (I have to network and take initiative etc, in my job and I haven't been doing so much since focusing on thesis ) not specifically

Remaining from May to do in July : Make appointment with dentist 1 yes, dentist 2 no and acupuncturist yes,

Grateful:
    Good night's sleep
    Tv show I enjoyed
    Gym nearby